Blink 182 California DLX

Just marathoned this album. What did I think?

First off let me say back in the day I was a huge Blink faggot. I even have the $3k signature Gibson AND the Fender MH Jazz Bass. To say I know the band and their music is an understatement. However, I'm also aware Neighborhoods was shit. Thus I will now give my review. Overall, the album is good. Not great not bad. NOFX, Green Day, and Sum 41 put out bad albums. Descendents put out a great album.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vzGWrQpp-8Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This album was clearly the product of Blink wanting to make an album and the record company wanting Blink to put out a BLINK 182 NOSTALGIA album. Thus they sent in the Jew Fullerton to make sure they put in penis jokes and party athems. You can read Richard Wagner's 1851 essay for more information on how the Jewish people make music. Its very corporate and designed to sell. Wel California was #1 and coincidentally were nominated for hteir first Grammy. Wew.

I'll do a summary of each song quickly. First I will say the album does sound good. They found an instrument or harmony to fill in the all htz so the album sounds full and nice to listen to. It is slightly overproduced. The harmonies are influenced by Pet Sounds and I think they sound really nice. Skiba is a great addition to the band. Much better than that washed up hack Tom Delonge.

great addition to the band. Much better than that washed up hack Tom Delonge.

1. Cynical: 5/5. Good fast punk song starts slow and blows up into hard hitting song. Good melody. Good harmony. Fun guitar. Skiba and Mark sound great.
2. Bored to death: 3/5. Pretty good song. The bridge is nice. Inspired by Feeling This, clearly, but it works. The chorus is meh the verses sound good. Kind of a weak single, I'm surprised they went with it but I don't think the album has any really obvious Singles anyway despite Feldmen attempting to make everysong a radio friendly unit shifter.
3. She's out of her Mind: 3/5 catchy pop song. Pretty lame song topic. We know mark is married and happy and not dreaming of CrAZy PuNk GiRlS. The song is ok kind of boring. Not something I'd expect anyone out of high school to go crazy for.
4. Los Angeles: 2/5. This is just a rip off of that Fall Out Boy song. Its dark and about LA being degenerate which is cool I guess. REMEMBER ME FOR CENTURIES!!!!!!
5. Sober: 1/5. ZZZZZ. I guess some of the lyrics are written by Fall out Boy. Another 'single' with nanananas. Should have just been deleted In my opinon. The guitar work is interesting enough. Maybe could have been good with new lyrics and reworked melody.
6. Built this pool: BLINK IS A JOKESTER XD. Pretty good too bad its wasted on a joke.
7. No Future: 4/5 This song is about some chick whos parents don’t understand her or something lame. BUT the melody and harmonies are great. Skiba's voice compliments it really well. The melodies are solid.
8. Home is where the heart is: 4/5 an acoustic song that sounds like dog eating dogs. Bunch of cool effects making it sound neat. I havn't heard many songs with this sound in it except for Boxing day and some +44. Skiba's voice again compliments marks really great in the chorus. Nice harmonies again.

10. Teenage Satellites: 3/5 Kind of the same thing the last song. Better melodies in the verse with better harmonies and better instrumentals. It’s a much better example of a pop song IMO. The chorus works much better melodically. The shift in the chorus happens in the same way but less dramatic, yet works better. It almost makes me feel like I'm back in high school. Again, Feldmen gets in the way. They weren't allowed spend more than 30 mins on a song or something so it just falls short of being good.
11. Left Alone: 2/5 This one sounds like Mark writing a Tom song. Its got some of those kind of annoying Dog eating Dogs left over AVA synths. Chorus has some urgency to it and again has the midway through transformation. The versus have a slow moving flanger effect that plays with some keyboards and some chords on the bass. Sounds cool but there is no real guitar hook in this song. Its not bad, its just nothing special either.
12. Rabbit hole: 1/5. Just delete it bro.
13. San Diego: 5/5 It’s a good old tribute to growing up. Its dark and sad with some nice melodies and reference to the Cure. The bass has a great groove the guitar and keyboards sneak in halfway through the verse in a perfect way. Skiba come in with the chorus with some oohs harmonizing in the background withsome counterpoint. Its just one of the stronger songs. I assume mark came into the sessions with it because its notably more complex than the last slog of party anthems and power chords.
14. The only thing that matter: 3/5. A fast song that is something like TOYPAJ but not really. Way much noise to fit in on that album but its fast. The versus and well written and the harmonies come in just right. Puts it above the more boring songs without really being that exciting in of itself. A better written bore.

15. California: 3/5. The album ender. Its really slow and never quite has a moment to put it over but I also don’t hate it. The lyrics should have been reworked to have a real point. It never has a super emotional moment despite getting really close. I was a little dissapointed but I still like the song. Good unique sounds and the melody Is pretty good, it just never has the pop moment to take it over the edge and make it great. They have an emptiesh atmospheric sound to it and decided isntead of writing something to just play the chorus with some power chords. Thanks Feldmen.
16. Brohemian Rhapsody: WEW JOKE SONG
17. Parking Lot: 2/5. A party song. A guitar hook finally. Its kind of a rewrite of reckless abandon. WEW WERE KIDS AND WE ARE NOT UNDERSTOOD LETS HAVE FUN the sound round 14 on this album. Its not a bad song. Better than most pop punk but its really not memorable.
18. Misery: 3/5. Cool guitar tone at the start. Lyrics are a little generic but its still a tier above the rest of the boring songs on this album. There are parts of a good song here that got mixed in with Feldmen forcing lyrics out in one go. Chorus is good until MISERY LOVES COMPANY which should have been reworked had Feldman allowed such things.
19. Good Old Days: 3/5 That weird ava synth is back. A good melody and harmony. Lyrics are atleast interesting but overall the song is forgettable despite being better written then half of the songs on this album.

20. Don't Mean Anything: 5/5. Finally another great song. Rumbling bass with some darker lyric topics. The chorus is memorable and does the transformation really really well. The way mark sings it reminds me of Tom Petty and shows some creativity in the singing. Great counterpoint in the backing harmonies.
21. Hey, I'm Sorry 5/5. Any sane person would have ended the album witht his which is sort of an answer to Cynicals lyrics. The piano and drums and guitar play perfectly together with the bass ot make a great great sound. The lyrics are thought out and melodies varied and interesting. Clearly this song was written before feldmen came on the seen. Chorus is powerful and memorable. Best song on the album.
22. Last Train Home 4/5. Unqiue and cool sounds for the verse with some unique harmonies. The chorus is dark to match the lyrics. Could have been a +44 song really. The song has a cool vibe that is very different than the generic party songs from the first half of the album.
23. Wildfire: 3/5 Amazon has this as the most popular song on the album. The guitar has a small hook and is the star of the show for one of the few moments on this album. The verse is standard blink pop up fare with some lines nad the guitar poppin in at the second half to raise the tension a notch. A pre-chorus get quite and arpeggiates a chord into Skiba singing with mark. I'm suprrised it’s the most popular but its better than a lot of other songs. The bass is actually really impressive if you listen.
24. 6/8: 3/5. This song is written in 6/8 time signature which I didn't even know Hoppus knew what a time signature was. The chorus sucks the verse is good. It does have a really aggressive and different sound for this album. Feldmen again ruins what oculd have been a great song if it had time to develop properly. Its almost Fugazi like post-punk but the chorus is just so lackluster.

25. Long lost Feeling: 4/5. A slower song more in line with California that thematically fits in well. The guitar is the usuall root and 5th in a triplet pattern that Blink has been doing for years. Lyrics are somewhat interesting and may have been written before the session. There is a loose connection between the songs and California and ocean metaphors that may indicate the framework for an album Mark brought to the writing sessions. The Feldmen influence is clearly disntinct from songs like this.
26. Bottom of the Ocean: 4/5. Another song that is radically different from the party song first half of this album. Aggressive with some cool sounds and effects in the music.
Pregnant: WEW JOKE SONG LMAO.

This it how the album should be played the rest ignored:
1. Cynical
2. Don't Mean Anything
3. 6/8
4. Home Is such a Lonely Place
5. Misery
6. Bored to Death
7. Left Alone
8. Good Old Days
9. Wild Fire
10. Last Train Home
11. Long Lost Feeling
12. Bottom of the Ocean
13. California
14. San Diego
15. Hey I'm Sorry

Now you are free from generic party rock and have a darker angrier album.

Consider Suicide

Marky Ramone played two or three songs on his radio show tonight. I thought they were listenable. It's nothing I would listen to intentionally. I used to really like pop-punk, but now I truly hate almost all of it. I think it just reminds me of being 15, and what a lousy little faggot I was.

It's overproduced garbage, but it sounds okay.

Next time put effort on a good album will you, OP

Go fuck yourself.

OP I liked your post. Thanks for the review, I might give it a listen. I also appreciate the effort, this board needs more actual effort like we see in your post and not waifu shitposting, bait and memes.

>However, I'm also aware Neighborhoods was shit

Blink-182 only ever released two good albums, and one of them was Neighborhoods (the other was self-titled, obviously).

Shit taste

>Go fuck yourself
Lmaooo, sorry for recommending a good album opposed to a bland piece of shit like Blink-182.
But that's fine, go listen to another shitty album by another shitty band, if that rocks your boat babygurl.

Cool review OP. I liked the original california as a "fun, summer" album I left in my car

Why kill myself before the next blink album?

Normies love this album. Blink fans dont care for it. I'm somewhere in the middle. I like the sound and instrments and arrangements but I had to remove half the songs to get it to be a decent collection.

Maybe I will do DREAM THEATER ASTONISHING or The Cure.

The point is to review some shit not just talk about good shit.

Self-Titled and Dogs eating dogs
Dude Ranch are good.

The rest is good but not really worth visiting if you arne't a fan.

Yes, thats exactly what it was intended to be and apparently it succeeded. It was #1 and grammy nom'd. I do hope the next album is a step in a different direction but I dont think its a sin to like California. Its not bad, its just not great.

rabbit hole is one of the best on the album. kys, op.

embarrassing thread

Do you have a magnet link? With torrent sites being picked off and TPB being a honeypot I can't find a magnet link anywhere.

I've got the California CD so I can't justify buying the same disc again (money is severely tight ATM). If not I'll kindly fuck off - just figured I'd ask.

youtube.com/watch?v=vzGWrQpp-8Q

Its on youtube, i just use amazon for music so i get everything with my prime account.

clearly the DLX is much more better than the original, but some on the original still stands out like Cynical, No Future and San Diego