/classical/

Awkwardly smiling pianists edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t0FhT39zqlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oXIsMt-FPhw
youtube.com/watch?v=RnHweMY54oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CEjhA3QVdJA
youtube.com/watch?v=wDBsOgwnhnU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAf_Sdw2ow
youtube.com/watch?v=_NG7cryFsdA
youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxdOW45As0
youtube.com/watch?v=bGVaVxnf2gY
youtube.com/watch?v=1dPSAK7TwmY
youtube.com/watch?v=FJWLU1ja_1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=ScgFj9jBjvw
youtube.com/watch?v=gin5FekQE0o
youtube.com/watch?v=e39toz6o_8E
youtube.com/watch?v=1S63HpAmCt0
youtube.com/watch?v=PvDraXJjyfI
youtube.com/watch?v=0Ktw6bYVz_U
youtube.com/watch?v=_jlzEFg-zkY
youtube.com/watch?v=6o5r5G1ScEc
youtube.com/watch?v=FJ00agLjPT0
youtube.com/watch?v=HBH1SIMtKnc
youtube.com/watch?v=1vkhzVNn5xE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Better yet, lets post alpha pianists which thus weren't jewish

This is now Stravinsky thread.

Reminder that stravinsky (with no capital s) composed at the piano

SHOCKING TRUTH

Just getting into Bach, what is his best String Quartet, Requiem, and Opera?

Just getting into Mozart, what is his best chorale prelude, his best work for solo violin, and his best work for solo cello?

Just getting into Lizst, what is his best piano work and transcription?

>Schubert and Schumann early works

They sound more like exercises, rather than works of art
I wonder to what extent they've appreciated their first pieces in their later years, especially Schumann.

Schubert probably didn't have much time to reflect on it since he died super young

>Schumann's early works
>exercises
have you listened to them at all

Yes, and they are amateurish at best up to Op. 13 and 14, and even then they are still clueless and borderline laughable (Schumann in these years was actually a laughing stick for French composers) if compared to his later works.

Still, he started composing in his 20s, so I think it's excusable.

how do i make a musicc

is this /pseud/ general?

read fux's gradus ad parnassum, do the exercises, read schoenberg's fundamentals of musical composition, go to university / college

Y-you take that back, op. 14 is lovely.

>laughing stick for French composers
Sauce me on this pls.

If you don't listen to at least a little bit of classical, you're not a music fan at all

Can anybody recommend me some joyous sounding organ music? A few days ago I heard
>Schumann's
Six pieces in canon form, op 56 and I enjoyed the first one.

Yes, everyone who doesn't listen to your pop trash is a pseud. So true.

And Schumann became insane super young

youtube.com/watch?v=t0FhT39zqlQ

Thanks. I'm just getting into Brahms big time now so I'm looking forward to this.

He got insane when he was 46, that's not super young (unless you're talking about his bipolar personality disorder).

Strauss bump
youtube.com/watch?v=oXIsMt-FPhw
Most people don't go crazy at all and if they do it's because they get Alzheimer's at an old age.

Well, it's still 18th century Vienna: lots of people in Schumann's generation went cracy way earlier than him due to syphilis. People of his time would have not said that he died young.

Les Noces > Rite of Memes

What are some really melancholy stuff to listen too? Or tragic sounding? I've been listening to a lot of Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6.

Would like to be bombarded with recommendations.

reminder that Stravinsky was a one-hit wonder who never recalled that original success

Mahler's sixth symhony

ha .. ha

Neither of these pieces are melancholic.

>Or tragic sounding

Then recommended me some that are.

Why do people like Tchaikovsky? I've listened to his last 3 symphonies, and they bored me to death: I always have the impression that too few things are happening in any given passage. Even if I still have not memorized his music, every passage of his appear to me as stale, generic and overly simplistic (sorry if I'm stressing it, but it was way too uneventful for my taste, there was not even a single moment that really fired my neurons).

Another similar case is Chopin. My mom, who is way more naive than me as a listener (she mostly listens to pop music) will actually cry while listening to Chopin: on me the most common reaction is boredom.
There is a big chunk of the repertoire that pleases most are actual magnets for the general population, real crowd pleasers (Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Mendelssohn, early Liszt), and I simply don't understand it. The only link I can see is that most of these artists uses often repetitions, are not that radical in their thematic treatment (if it's there at all: Chopin, for example, frequently adds unrelated ideas to his musical flow, not that I've ever seen non-musicians complaining about it), and the amount of actual content is fairly low in quantity. how many complex pieces have been written by the aforementioned composers? Their composition may be sophisticated, but they're all simple in nature (not wrongly so, since this simplicity seems to be a prerequisite if you aant to reach the general public).
If you think that I'm too concerned about complexity, I'll admit that it is probably a prejudice, based on a purely phisiological response. I'm not interested in complexity for complexity's sake, but past a certain treshold simplicity becomes almost untolerable (for the same reason I have always has troubles listening to popular and underground band music, since those repetitions that are usually not a problem for most listeners, were truly irritating to me).

The Adagio from the Hammerklavier Sonata, played by Pollini.

>ywn never have the makings of a varcity academic

What?

Its Schumann, you don't listen to the Sonatas, symphonies or anything with classical forms, you go for the tone poems he composed on the piano

youtube.com/watch?v=RnHweMY54oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CEjhA3QVdJA
youtube.com/watch?v=wDBsOgwnhnU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAf_Sdw2ow

also fuck off Op. 13 is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=_NG7cryFsdA

Sopranos reference faggot, that's Junior in your picture

>Schumann was an amateur until he composed his third piano sonata
>"not true, to prove my point I'll post here 4 composition he composed after his third sonata"

I'm not that guy, I just did not get that reference.
Chill out.

I'm agreeing with you faggot, Schumann starts to get good when he disposes of classical forms and writes miniatures and songs

Oh and Fantastiestucke says hello

youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxdOW45As0

>all this Schumann underrating

Worst than Liszt underrating senpai

Papillons and Fantasistuck are the best pre Op 15 Schumann compositions, Schumann was trying to find his footing that's all

Schumann was still in the middle of his formal training (which he always valued immensely, always taking pride in the erudition that he attained later on his life): the favt that there are decent compositions in those years do not really discredit that user's point, which is that Schumann was an amateur until his Opus 14.

I'm pretty sure Schumann thought the same in his 30s and 40s.

That's rite.

Quality is not equal success.

Rigoletto

Robert>>>>>Clara

youtube.com/watch?v=bGVaVxnf2gY

Mozart's requiem is average at best
Why is it so popular

gay

The Mass, Petrushka, Symphonies of Wind Instruments, and Scherzo a la russe>>>>>>all

Anything Mozart is a meme.

>finished 4th movement of a piano sonata last night
>3rd movement already done
>only 1st and 2nd are left
We're all gonna make it lads.

This will trigger HIPsters: youtube.com/watch?v=1dPSAK7TwmY

Be sure to post it here so we can all laugh at you.

youtube.com/watch?v=FJWLU1ja_1Y

You and some friends are having a discussion about techno being edm (one of your friends doesn't agree). His argument boils down to: I'm right because I know more about music (because he listens to more music genres according to him). So you ask him what an interval is, he doesn't know.

How do you respond?

How do you respond to the question of what an interval is or to your friend not knowing what an interval is?

In the case of the prior, why would you respond? You've made your point.

Latter, prior, same thing.

>How do you respond?
You unfriend the shitstain.
Plebs need to be gassed.

This is even more triggering. Feels good.

It's popular because it was what he working on when he died so everyone knows it for that.

Are you a bad enough man to use a grand piano as the continuo instrument to perform the Brandenburgs?

youtube.com/watch?v=ScgFj9jBjvw

Buxtehude

youtube.com/watch?v=gin5FekQE0o

Here's the first page. Roast me.

Where should I start with him?

>those dynamics
Show your compositions only to your teacher until you've finished all of your homeworks.

yeah, he should have every note rapidly fluctuate between fff and ppp

>he only uses serial processes when composing for pitch and not for dynamics, rhythm and articulation
kek

It does not mean that you're not gonna make it, it just means that you have still much work to do. Hurry up, the clock is ticking!

youtube.com/watch?v=e39toz6o_8E

Scarlatti

youtube.com/watch?v=1S63HpAmCt0

Barber Adagio for Strings
Borodin Nocturne
Rach symphony #2 3rd movement

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=PvDraXJjyfI

unfortunately he wasn't talented enough to write in those forms

Now that the dust has settled, which composer does /classical/ think is the most:
>underrated
>overrated
>reddit

>key signature
dropped

me
ur favourite composer
u

Mozart

>underrated
mozzart
>overrated
Rach
>reddit
'thoven

This is objectively true, don't (You) me.

>underrated
scarlatti
>overrated
petzold
>reddit
shopin

Why?

>underrated
Dvorak
>overrated
Wagner
>reddit
Rachmaninoff

So I'm depressed, Sup Forums. Real life has mostly been a bitch, from early bullying to a life full of failures, and I'm in one of those days where it's hitting me.
That being said, what would you recommend for uplifting early music? I know, I should become an hero, kms, all those nice memes that Sup Forums always have for disgraces like me; but if you have it in your soul to feel at least a little bit of compassion to a fellow /classical/ listener, share with me what you listen when you need to feel better.
I mostly listen to baroque music, some classic and romantic here and there, so that's my preferred frame of reference, but if you have anything from either before or after I don't mind.
Have a nice day.

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ktw6bYVz_U

youtube.com/watch?v=_jlzEFg-zkY
what a head banger

youtube.com/watch?v=6o5r5G1ScEc
youtube.com/watch?v=FJ00agLjPT0
youtube.com/watch?v=HBH1SIMtKnc

>underrated
Morton Feldman
>overrated
Chopin
>reddit
Paganini

>underrated
my favorite composer
>overrated
my least favorite composer
>reddit
/classical/'s favorite composers

>underrated
Frescobaldi
>overrated
Boccherini
>reddit
Corelli

>Feldman
Are you a hipster?

Thank you both. Great composers and great performers.

No.

>all that pleb modern and firetruck garbage ITT
It's like you guys aren't even trying anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=1vkhzVNn5xE

>underrated
Mozzzart
>overrated
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
>reddit
Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart

Strange, the only people who like Feldman are try-hard hipsters.