So somehow I've never actually given Aphex Twin a proper listen, despite listening to a host of different ambient...

So somehow I've never actually given Aphex Twin a proper listen, despite listening to a host of different ambient, electronic and experimental music.

Where do I start? With pic related?

Don't even bother. If you're already into electronic music and ambient there's no reason to listen to it.

Listen to all of the studio albums under the Aphex Twin name in chronological order

Yeah. If you like it and you like SAW 2, and if you like the Richard D James album you should just listen to everything, chronologically or no. Um, some of his singles are his most significant releases though, so don't wait to get to Windowlicker or the Come to Daddy EP or Donkey Rhubarb because they're not full-length. Listen to everything.

Why do you say this user, because Aphex Twin is bad? Or do you think should just be used as a gateway?

fpbp

Yes. That's his most melodic and best album. Then try Richard D. James, I Care Because You Do, Come To Daddy EP, Windowlicker, Selected Ambient Works Part II, Syro, Drukqs and the rest. Don't forget about his other projects such as Polygon Window.

He's not bad, he's just mediocre. And yes, he's basically a gateway so there's no need for OP to listen to him.

at the beginning, obviously

I agree with this and his music is an excuse for most IDM listeners to seem cultured, because he did made some of that ambient music.

>"that sound" that he kinda popularized in the 90s that can also be heard in practically every 90s electronic music record ranging from Homogenic to Kid A
SAW 85-92, Syro

>Actually ambient music
SAW 2

>Crazy percussion parts
RDJ album, Drukqs

>The closest thing to something that sounds stereotypical "experimental"
I Care Because You Do

>popular single tracks
Flim, Come To Daddy, Windowlicker

>gateway
Only if you're an EDM /bleep/tard.

Thanks for the responses lads. I'll probably give his discography a run through chronologically just so I can confirm for myself, but I'm not expecting anything too magical.

i don't visit /bleep/ and i don't listen to """edm""" kind of electronic music at all
nice try though

his music is actually magical. you can tell he was an inspiration for grimes.

just wait until xtal starts unfolding its beauty...

Listen to SAW 85-92. You only have one chance for Xtal to be your first afx feel. Don't fuck it up.

Nice backpedaling.

Xtal is truly amazing. 99% of artists struggle to make a piece half as good as Xtal in their entire career.

Oh boy, another pretentious genre elitist who thinks something has to be "relevant" and groundbreaking to be good. Fuck off.

don't be a pussy op. start with the album with the coolest looking cover art like you know you want to.

this