Examples of high level artists fusing art with pop in a way that is unique and services both and creates something...

Examples of high level artists fusing art with pop in a way that is unique and services both and creates something unique and wonderful

Not welcome:
>artists selling out and cramming their art music into a pop structure where it doesn't fit to sell more albums
>pop artists like Wilco hiring producers to fill their pop albums with noise to create the illusion of depth

Other urls found in this thread:

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/dean-blunt-black-metal
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gentle_giant/free_hand/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dean blunt - black metal

todd was always pop though

So was Eno

this
op is king of the pseuds

this doesnt address your premise directly, but "free jazz" took the concept of abstract expressionism and applied it to jazz music to create something "unique and wonderful"

I don't know Dean Blunt but this album sounds interesting

Someone tell me about it.

All these records suck because while I guess something "unique" has been created, they are unique in the same way turd sculptures are.

Everything in this topic is neither anywhere near as cerebral or artistic as art music while also being nowhere near as visceral or intense as popular music. Literally the worse of both worlds.

This is why I can't stand "art rock" artists like Beatles, TVU, Pink Floyd, Eno, Bowie, Radiohead, etc. They are no different from top 40 pop music, but instead of delivering a watered down product for the masses, it's a watered down product for the person that claims they are a "music fan".

This kind of music is the fake nerd gamer girl of music, that one guy who bodybuilds but he's not that strong despite looking so of music, people dickriding Pathfinder for fixing 3.5 DnD when it only made problems worse of music, etc. Basically for people who never really want to spend all that time exploring the various diverse aspects of music and want to appear to have more than a surface level understanding of the medium.

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/dean-blunt-black-metal

t. brainlet

I tend to agree with

I think you're describing 95% of good music. People like the visceral experience of pop and the emergence of a hook. They like it even more if it comes from unconventional means. Any song from Remain in Light does this and that, to me, is a worthwhile mode of operations and I don't understand the impulse to call it "fake."

whats your rym again. i need some good new recs

>Pink Floyd, Eno, TVU
>No different from top 40 music
What?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gentle_giant/free_hand/
This is a horrible album. I don't even consider this progressive rock, but "art rock" you describe. However, I don't think Pink Floyd, Eno and TVU did the same. TVU has Loaded, Eno has produced Coldplay's albums and made some far from incredible art pop albums in his career, but I don't see people praising Another Green World, Before and after Science as they do with top 40 musicians. Pink Floyd had some mainstream hit songs, but then again, you don't see top 40 fans praising songs like Echoes, Dogs, etc.

>Remain in Light

Except this is a perfect example of what he's talking about. Remain in Light is just watered down less skillfully performed afrobeat for dumb people that can't listen to a song without a pop chorus hook.

You also have horrible taste so that makes sense
Filtered

I know it is my point is that there is no real reason to dislike it unless you're actively trying.

your being wrong aside, afrobeat is pop music you dumbfuck

afrobeat is pop

In b4...

well what do you listen to then

holy shit, this is amazing. thanks for sharing.
just got this on cassette for my lil bro

~boldfaure ya goof
what's your favorite piece by the following
>WA Mozart
>Maurice Ravel
>Pierre Boulez

the knife - silent shout

not same person but...

symphony no. 40

la tombeau de couperin

never listened to pierre boulez

>Everything has to be cutting edge artsy stuff or top 40-core shit

You also don't explain how any of those artist you mention are a "watered down product for people that claim thay are a music fan", from this post it seems you don't have any reasons to dislike them in the first place apart from them being "pretentious pop artists".

You are literally complaining about how people like what you don't like.

really bad post

how the fuck could you compare albums like White Light/White Heat or No Pussyfooting to a Britney Spears album. Like regardless of what you think of those albums, they are not "top 40 in disguise". Yes those bands did have more accessible work (Loaded and The Bends, for example) but to lump them in with the likes of Britney Spears is just intellectually lazy.

>*listened to fela kuti once*

>user makes a long-winded post about popular things sucking
>tripfag curtly tells us ordinary folks how he tends to agree with the post
>another user brings an example to the first post
>yet none of them felt it necessary to expand/defend/explain that point better to people replying
Of course, I am not implying anything. Definitely not something like one person made those posts.

Given that this genius didn't reply to anyone for hours, it's probably a new pasta. If you do reply, at least sage.

If you've not listened to this album, you should.
Best psychedelic rock album ever
Shame Todd never had such a masterstroke again
Pic-related is pretty good though

Every bone in my body is squirming over the slim chance this isn't you fucking with me.