What's Sup Forums opinion on Tom Waits?

What's Sup Forums opinion on Tom Waits?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DrxpOlL5z94
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's he waiting for?
bad band

One of America's national treasures.

I haven't listened to him a ton, but I really like him. His whole bum aesthetic is wonderful.

To good for this world.

i can't get through any of his albums, his voice because extremely annoying after about 10 minutes

fuck off

What's your favorite album by him, anons?

Blood Money was the first lp i ever bought!

>what's Sup Forums's opinion on this Sup Forumscore

really flogs my nogs

I enjoy Rain Dogs a lot mostly based on the arrangements and Marc Ribot being the greatest guitarist that ever lived but Waits' singing and his songwriting is pretty fucking cringey and hard to take in large doses for me. You're not a hobo or a pirate or Kurt Weill... you're just some fucking guy in a literal fedora.

I admit that a lot of this comes from the fact that I was well into my 20's when I first heard Waits.

What is pop music if not an act? In another context, sure, Waits' persona would be pretentious and cringey. But he's an entertainer, and he plays his character pretty well.

There's a Tom Waits and Aesop Rock mash up album that someone made and threw on youtube, which is pretty snazzy.

I agree but feel that Waits' persona is a particularly tryhard and embarrassing one. There's a reason that Johnny Depp doesn't walk around his entire life pretending to be Captain Jack Sparrow.

He kind of does.

In the Heart of Saturday Night

He has several different voices. Do you really not like this one?

youtube.com/watch?v=DrxpOlL5z94

And it's fucking embarrassing and reeks of tryhard desperation

Writes a lot of dark/melancholy songs that only he could perform with conviction. One of the best songwriter still living.

I think this is my fav too, at least for now, Rain Dogs being second.

hes a severe fagotron