youtube.com/watch?v=zL3PgFBXioU
youtube.com/watch?v=nC9QBntYz9o
youtube.com/watch?v=J6xzL0TrsRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Triple dubs of truth.

TDK was better

>when people say Snyder has the best visuals in capeshit

no

Probably the best capeshit expect Darkman.

The ending to Batman Returns is pure kinomatography.

Micheal Keaton = Best Batman

It is one of my favorite movies ever
Those matte paintings are otherwordly, gorgeous Gotham.
Nothing comes close.

Exactly.

All Nolan did was replace "Chicago" with "Gotham" on all the buildings and went for a nap.

I just watched Penguin's death scene, holy kino batman, when did Burton lose it?

Alice in Wonderland/Charlie in the Chocalte Factory made him a self parady

kino to the max
youtube.com/watch?v=i8ETieNnWp8

>masquerade
>wayne and selina wear their faces

Capeshit will never get better than this

The whole christmas setting made the movie comfy as fuck.

That scene eats the one from TDKR for breakfast.

>love batman returns when a kid
>rewatch it years later
>it's amazing

Honestly China ruined Blockbusters
Dark Knight
Iron man 1
Winter solider

They are literally garbage compared to Batman Returns.

I was also blown away by how well it holds up. By far the most psychologically tortured depiction of Batman on the big screen. Add to that a genuinely disturbed, yet very heartfelt romance plot, as well as the atmosphere of a Gothic Christmas, and you have an instant classic.

Best catwoman desu

best elfman score

best catwoman ever

Nobodies motivation made any sense besides Batman. How did Walkens character fathom making a crime boss mayor would be a good idea?

christopher walken was terrible

LIKE A HARP FROM HELL/10

True but returns is literally second best

Disagree 110%

Did she die in the end? I completely forgot.

best batman movie of all time.

Treble dubs confirm double trips.

I know Batman Returns isn't perfect, but these two scenes are still what I think of whenever someone says Batman.

youtube.com/watch?v=zL3PgFBXioU

youtube.com/watch?v=nC9QBntYz9o

There's something magical about this movie's atmosphere.

Snyder has terrible visuals. Burton was GOAT

good taste

It has some good moments, but tonally it's a complete trainwreck.
It's too silly for adults, and too dark for kiddies.

No.

Remember, nine lives.

You think she does, and the last shot is her head popping up as the Batsignal is switched on

>that atmosphere
>that music
>the dark story and characterisation
>aesthetics

It is imo the goatest comic movie

I fucking miss those times Tim Burton was a good director...why did he get shit after the 90s???

So it's a real family movie before the decade of focus groups, an authorial vision brought to fruition that in turn elevates the IP it's based on.

>too dark for kiddies.

Sure, if you're a complete pussy. I myself loved it as a kid.

That was peak walken right therr also he was like the best character

Imagine those scenes without music. It's literally speaks for characters. Some of the best scoring ever.

>That's just the pussy I was looking for
>I'd like to fill her void

Danny Devito those lines were NOT in the script and you know it.

>50 same rubber suits

Today he has a dozen different power armors better than anything an actual government could make.

Fucking super sicence high tech, Batman was supposed to be a masked detective vigilante, not a Space Marine.

Looking at his filmography, it seems like after Batman Forever burned him out and Sleepy Hollow and Planet of the Apes both flopped, he did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride to try to repeat what his career used to be. Then he basically started running in place trying to stay relevant. Everything since Batman Forever has ranged from awful to passable, with the sole exception of Big Fish. I didn't see Big Eyes though.

I want this thread to be about how much I fucking miss old Tim Burton.

He was a master.

New Tim Burton is total shit ass crap.

I was surprised by this. I remembered the ending more open ended with the part with the alley cats I was surprised on rewatch they flat out showed her in the last scene. I would have liked the ambiguity better

That's because you're 100% pleb. The tone is perfect in this movie, it knows perfectly well what's it trying to be.

It sits well with the manchild demographic, because there are scenes where Batman shoves a Looney Tunes-style ACME bomb down a man's pants whilst smiling, but then there's also Penguin talking about how much he wants pussy and to "fill her void".

She was "down to her last life."

What's Batman Forever had to do with him? He had very little involvement.

>t.nolanfaggot

It's supposed to be otherwordly, like a fantasy movie.

Essential Burtoncore:

youtube.com/watch?v=J6xzL0TrsRY

I think Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd are his only 2 masterpieces from the 2000s. I agree rest is garbage.

nothing beats Batman Returns.

Darkman was a bit too campy for my taste

That scene and Pfeiffer are the only reasons to watch this.

He was supposed to direct it but people got spooked by Batman Returns being not kid-friendly, so he was made producer. By all accounts the entire charade was a nightmare behind the scenes.

Yes, it has a really deliberate tone.

Batman 89 is objectively better than returns in EVERY way.

There are childish fights with slapstick clowns and Batman doing a DJ-style record scratch with a CD player, and then there's also Penguin being rapey and biting a man's nose until he pops a blood vessel open.

Tell me about Batman, why doesn't he wear the mask?

I couldn't care less for Sweeney Todd and Derp's horrible singing, but I liked Charlie and the Cholocate factory a lot.

>Rocket penguins

Yeah, 89 was better.

Sleepy Hollow is just okay. Sweeny Todd is a pretty good adaptation of a stageplay. Big Fish was his only good original movie.

>elfman

>Keaton best Batman
>Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny Devito perfectly cast
>Based Walken
>Best live action Gotham
>Only Batman movie to avoid being a manchild power fantasy and accurately portray Bruce as a mentally unstable individual ultimately just as damaged as his villains
>Best romance of any superhero movie
>Finds a perfect balance between the over the top camp of the comics and the movie's darker themes
>10/10 set design
>That ballroom scene
>One of Elfman's best scores
>Based Siouxsie & the Banshees

Legitimately the best comic book movie ever made and as far as I'm concerned the only one that really manages to transcend the comic book movie genre completely.

It's great, but I'll agree on the tonal dissonance.

Oddly enough, it nearly killed the Batman franchise because it made the character unprofitable for merchandising.

Then Batman Forever killed it because it made Batman TOO profitable.

>pint-sized bats
DROPPED

The plot made no fucking sense. Given how much people shit on the contrivance of "Martha", imagine how much you fucks would sperg out if a new Batman movie had a scene like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSYeaY6DSsk

Batman 89 is part Burton, part DC/Warner product with some shitty Prince license crapped in. Batman Returns is pure Burton film. His contract had full creative control and final cut for it.

Sometimes when I visit this board, I ask myself if there is some taste left within people.

This thread gave me some hope.

Batman Returns is the best superhero movie of all time, and everybody here already gave the reasons.

>character unprofitable for merchandising.

I don't know about other stupid children but I buyed (my dad did) lots of batman toys after I saw Batman Returns.

fuck everybody batman returns was a great movie

"Martha" is criticized because the movie purpots itself as very realistic, gritty and human, and then employs a very contrieved narrative crutch to advance the conflict.

Burton's movies were more whimsical and not lighthearted, but let's say... Fablelesque. It allows up to accept things such as this at face value.

Look at pic related l, why can't capeshit aim to be just as good!

Sorry it wasn't concocted in a focus group, fag.

It's a twisted fairytale. Burton knew exactly what he was doing.

Seems better than all of TDK. What's your problem with this scene?

Mask of the Phantasm is better

Once in a while

a good thread with people with good taste appears.

this is one of them.

How do real politics fathom it?

Parents though "Batman Returns" was too dark and pulled out of merchandising deals, which caused a sizeable budget drop for Warner. That's why they replaced Burton with Joel Schumacher, who had to personally approach potential merchandising partners and convince them they were going for a lighter direction.

Then "Batman Forever" became such a box office hit WB went into overdrive and forced Schumacher to turn "Batman & Robin" into a 2 hour toy commercial. Poor guy never got to do the gritty, somber Batman movie he always wanted.

Burton knew that you can't play capeshit straight. Taking this shit seriously is always horrible.

Sleepy hollow is 99

We're done here, folks.

The animated batman movies are under rated and often overlooked but in this case I would have to say that returns > phantasm

I guess it's nostalgia. I remember watching returns on a snowy Christmas day with family. Feelings unmatched

This. When your movie is built on different rules you get away with different things.

It was serious though- he just didn't treat it like it should exist in the real world.

The Penguin wasn't a crime boss, though. Nobody knew he was the leader of the Red Triangle Circus. To the population of Gotham, he was simply the abandoned child of the wealthy Cobblepots, who rose against a life of prejudice and adversity to become an educated man with the aspiration to make a better world.

That's why Max Shreck was so adamant to hide Penguin's lecherous, volatile personality from the media.

>Simple symbolism that Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are their masks
>Makes it easier for Bruce to find Selina in the crowd
>No dumb lines like "NO SELINA, THIS IS MY MASK, WE WEAR MASKS ALL THE TIME!"

Actually manchindren hate Burton's Batman and only accepts Bravo Nolan capeshit.

>Ruse makes absolutely no sense - Penguin is clearly not saying what the CD is playing - his mouth doesn't sync and he'd have no reason to say that to a crowd
>Penguin has no reason to continue to mouth silently whilst the CD is playing, and at no point does he try to talk over the CD
>Crowd brings fruit to a speech by a supposedly inspiring mayoral candidate, for no other apparently reason than a "lol so meta" quip about fruit
>Bat CD-scratch is just as lame as Schumacher's Bat credit card, and has no reason other than to potentially ruin Batman's scheme
>Depicts people of Gotham as complete idiots, thereby removing any investment we have in the mayoral election subplot
Even people who like Returns can't defend it

Batman Begins does not need to be that high. I hate TDKR and I'd watch it again over Begins.

and Batman and Robin is more fun to watch that Batman Forever. Neither is good but at least B&R is entertaining.

Gotham Selina is remarkably similar looking to how Pfeiffer looks here.

>you can't play capeshit straight
If it was such an incredible success in balancing tone then explain why The Dark Knight is universally praised whilst most people have forgotten about Batman Returns entirely.

>Producer Michael Uslan remarks that he only let Tim (Burton) see the original year of the Bob Kane/Bill Finger's comic run, up until the time that Robin was introduced.

Why Burton/Keaton Batman killed.

>In preparation for his role, Michael Keaton went under extensive kick-boxing training for Batman.

Why Keaton's fight scenes, though campier than Nolan's, were better than Bale's shitty fighting scenes.

The repeating digits do not lie.

people praised TDK because normies like batman but are afraid of anything that isn't gritty realism

it's a terrible batman movie.

Nobody has forgotten about batman returns, just because nobody is spending money to keep marketing it unlike TDK doesn't mean people forgot about it.
The only reason people remember TDK is because it was the last succesful DC movie and they keep marketing it.

>It's actually terrible, but almost everyone in the world has been deceived by it except me
ok, man

Batman Returns is GOAT, but unfortunately it almost flopped on box-office due to word-of-mouth of the film being "too dark". Fucking plebs. Hence why they sacked Burton. :(

Ad populum, we meet again.

>They keep marketing it
[citation needed]
You're just making shit up now

Actually it's the other way around. Nobody gives a single fuck about Nolan's bullshit, except a bunch of nostalgic redditors. The pleb has moved over to DCEU and don't remember there a was a Batman before while Burton's films rose in stature among people with fine taste. Even the imdb has move BR discussions than ever before.