How to into humility /bee/??

How to into humility /bee/??

I want to be legit redpilled.

c'mon you faggots, none of you have any insights on how to be a genuinely good person?

Being a good person doesn't revovle around any one aspect of things that make good people.

Neither is good nor evil a binary. It's two general concepts that factor into a spectrum of morality.

Understanding this is the first step. Contemplate on it.

Then abandon the idea of actively changing your overall personality.

You're a garbage human, and chances are good you'll always be a garbage person, so start by doing your best not to infect the people in your life with your poison, and then engage in a little charity to make yourself feel better about it.

You want to know how to have humility? Or you want to know how to be a good person?

I am not sure if humility is like... obviously the path to that.

>wants to be a good person
>asks b

*grabs popcorn*

there is no such thing as good or bad. Theres just actions and consequences. Everything fucks over someone. if you actively try to avoid fucking over other people then you're "good". If you go out of your way to fuck over people then you're "bad"

thats all there is to it

I want to be humble.

Read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. All six books. Consider the evolution of Arthur's character. Think of others before yourself. Love unconditionally, but don't take bullshit. Do the right thing even when it's difficult. Give respect to all until they give you a reason not to, and even then, treat them like you would your mother/child/brother. They're all your teachers and you are theirs.

Read some Voltaire. Watch Last Man on Earth. Spend time on finding your calling and hone yourself to make it happen. Also, again, give respect to people you know and don't. To those you kinda understand and those you never will. They've all got reasons for being the way they are.

Just generally don't be an asshole.

Being humble is about accepting humiliation. It isn't always, but when the temptation to not be humble is strongest, the fight you are waging is against accepting humiliation.

Like, take an argument. You're wrong. Or you could be wrong. The act of admitting it is humiliating. Painful.

You've got to mentally and emotionally accept the pain you're about to experience, and then proceed to expose yourself to that pain.

This can take on both an external and internal aspect. Like, you can be humble when dealing with others, but you can also choose to be humble when thinking about yourself.

Such as accepting the limitations of your mind and competence and morality. Like, acknowledging that you are imperfectly moral - selfish or hypocritical, is a method of being humble before yourself. It might also be interesting if you are humble about why you want to be humble. More than likely you'll find a disturbing answer there.

Because humility at it's core, is masochistic.

Very well said. I've been struggling to form a response to op's question. This post hit most of the points I had wanted to do myself, quite effectively

Some good advice, right here.

I want to be humble because I know I'm going to keep fucking up and I know I'm never really going to be good enough.
>this isn't the first time I've looked into this
>I'm asking Sup Forums for a second opinion

Do you want to be humble to avoid the pain of letting others down, or letting yourself down?

myself, others don't expect anything from me

I don't think humility is what you're looking for.

You just seem to be looking for an emotional coping mechanism for personal failure.

Which is to just emotionally accept that you HAVE FAILED, and then try again.

I do not recommend that you move toward thinking of yourself as likely to fail. That isn't mentally healthy.

Just accept it when you fail. Define it as HAVING FAILED, not that you are a failure and you cannot hope but to fail. Then try again.

ok, but how do I really be humble?
not just accepting
actually bodisatva humble
>want nothing
>be nothing

I'm sure i'm not if i'm a good person, not sure if anyone really is, but i'd like to think I have good intentions in life. Start with laughter and genuine compliments. Also staying away from Sup Forums is always a good idea.

I tend to leave Sup Forums for years on end, then I find my way back for a few months. Then disappear again.

As i said before, it's about being willing to endure the pain of humiliation. Every act in life is a skill. If you practice accepting the pain of humiliation, you will get better and better at it. Eventually it wont hurt as much.

But i strong recommend not to do this. You could sit in your own filth and starve to death if you were perfectly able to be free from want and judgement, but this isn't a healthy goal.

You should strive for success, and just try not to be hurt too badly by failure. You need not go allllll the way to nirvana to hit "failure doesn't hurt too bad."

I'm pretty fucking far down that rabbit hole. I've endure enough humiliation. I honestly don't give a give fuck a lot but that's not true humility I think.

I am telling you what you need to DO. Enduring humiliation is not the same thing as accepting humiliation. When you emotionally accept a thing, you do not try to fight it. You don't clench up. You let it hit you. Let it bounce around inside of you. Feel it. And be okay that it's happening.

Humility is knowing fully, and being okay with your limitations. The reason you need to accept humiliation is because learning your limitations is all about breaking down your illusions about yourself. Which means learning and acknowledging many painful realities. Just enduring humiliation doesn't allow you to learn the truth of your limitations. Emotionally accepting the humiliating truth does.

I'm a pigheaded contrarian (ironically), so bear with me.

What exactly are you implying? Next I'm humiliated break down and cry such that I become a more humble person? If my enemies kill me I win?

Next time***

Well, the goal isn't to just get humiliated and get hurt and then break down and feel worthless. The goal is to learn to be okay with the pain of humiliation.

Note that, humility is not just accepting that every mean thing anyone says about you is true. People can totally say awful things about you and be exaggerating.

But basically i say something about you, and you're pained because you're worried it's true, you've got to really think about it. Let the implication of that dark truth really wash around in your head, and let the pain hit you. And if it is true, be okay that it's true.

Like, i'm a white knight(obviously). I do it because i like the attention. It feels good. I would like to believe that i do it because it is good. And i'm a good person. But it's not why. I do it because i am an attention whore. And that is depressing and shameful. And when someone else first suggested to me, i was greatly pained. But i thought about it, and they were right. And i accepted it. And now i'm fine with it.

You don't win if you let your enemies kill you. But you do win if you let them kill your pride.

but accepting your limitations without an attempt to reconcile them is just living at the mercy of your faults and seems fundamentally wrong to me

Well, as i said, i don't think you're really looking for humility. If you're goal is ONLY to be humble, then yes, you are at the mercy of your faults.

Attempting to correct your faults, and try to become better is not humble. It's an aspiration for greatness(albeit a small aspiration).

Your goal might be to be intellectually honest, which isn't necessarily the same thing as being humble, although humility is part of it.

But based on what you said earlier, i would wager that you're just looking for a good coping mechanism for the pain of personal failure. Humility is... a method for that. But it's a really heavy handed solution, and includes a lot of other things i doubt you want.

Maybe I just want to punish myself severely.

fuck me, all i really want is attention
>but I don't want to want attention

Well, i'm all for masochism. But it wont make you happy. It's fun. But more than likely what you are looking for is some definition of success, and to be reasonably okay with your failures. That's.... basically everybody.

Just punishing yourself will not make the universe grant you less pain for having failed. Your feelings of shame are not an unpaid price you need to rectify in order to become square with the universe. You'll just hurt yourself, and keep failing, and keep feeling ashamed, and the universe will not send positive karma your way as recompense.

Lol, fuck that, just do shit that makes you deserve attention. Don't abandon your petty mammal desires. They're what make living fun. Figure out how to feed them.

yeah, that's like my most recent life lesson learned
I'm ready for the next chapter prof

Aspire to be successful. Don't look at your failures and think they define you. Look at your failures and think of them as attempts that failed. It's never too late to be successful. If you fail all your life and start succeeding when you're 60 years old, your life will be just as valid and as someone who started succeeding when they were 20.

Enjoy your petty mammal desires. It's not a sin to enjoy simple pleasures or to want simple pleasures.

I've spent a lot of time repressing myself (my petty mammal desires) so I have a hard time enjoying myself. I just want to be just like the average retard that never thinks about shit like this.

Good and evil are aspects of morality. They are all human inventions. What is good for one, will always be bad for someone else. Do what makes you feel good, and you're bound to find someone who finds it good too. Stay with those people

Lol. Every average retard has to deal with feelings of inadequacy and their goals and aspirations and the meaning of their life. Even fuckin' gut toting rednecks who wear wife beaters.

However not every average retard dissects the issue this much.

This is where we disagree. They may wrestle with feelings of inadequacy but they always single-minded chased what they want and got it too.

The belief that everyone else has a laser focus in their life and can ride out the tribulations of their life with relative ease, and you are the odd man out in how ineptly you wield your life is a very very common and very very incorrect belief.

So what do I do with that? I either suck because I don't or I suck because I don't see see the forest for the trees.

I don't stack up*********

Strive for success and learn to enjoy and value what success you can achieve.

You need not be the most successful human who ever lived in order to have been a good human.

That means I could abandon all the shit I don't like and live like an asshole and it'd be ok. That's just straight up bullshit.

Well, what i was going to write before you clarified that what you were looking for was just humility, not being a good person is that being a good person requires striking a balance between being self-serving and being selfless. You cannot hope to just be selfless. You will make yourself so miserable, it will collapse and you'll just become selfish. You need to service yourself as much as you need, and then spend the rest of your effort on others.

You need a certain amount of success under your belt to give you the mental health you need in order to give the rest of your effort to others.

Fuck man, I've been doing nothing but 'servicing myself' (in more ways than one), I just don't want to be a such a shitty fucking person. Like normie faggots do good shit, do good work and are still always happy somehow. Fucking cunts.

you want humble people to tell you what makes them so humble? do you see the issue here?

I am guessing that you aren't giving yourself the things you actually need.

Like, you need success in order to feel self-worth. That self-worth acts as a bulwark against depression and against the set backs of your life.

And the success could be many things. Learning something. Being in shape. Eating well. Getting a good job. Having good friends. Being kind to others. Being politically active. Getting all your house maintenance chores done. Tons of different things. And when you're depressed, you can think to yourself, "Well, i fucked in in X, Y, and Z ways, but at least i've been making progress in A, B, and C ways."

You need to lighten up on yourself a bit. Wanting to force yourself to be a better person is good. But if you were truly a selfish person, this wouldn't be an issue at all for you. Your shame in your failure to be a more productive and contributive human indicates that you have the potential to be that better person you want to be.

He didn't stipulate that he wanted humble people to tell him how to be humble. I'm an arrogant and conceited prick and i told him how to do it.

I'm lucky if I don't fucking kill myself. The future is grim man. I'm just glad I fucked up my life enough that I need therapy or I'd have no-one to talk to besides Sup Forums.

Well, i think Sup Forums is a good friend, but i'm a weirdo oldfag.

Seems like there is lots of opportunities to form friendships with people online. Although i am supposing you don't feel like those are real valid relationships as you would get IRL.

I don't know you, but you sound like you've got a lot of potential. Anybody who is willing to dissect the issues of their life like this - linear and honest - has a great advantage.

Most of the time depressed people just randomly bounce between issues holding them back, in a desperate bid to reinforce the notion that their situation is hopeless.

*curls up in your lap and purrs*

do you have a vagina? otherwise no thanks

Well, i'm a playful silly billy. So for the purposes of this conversation, sure, i'll have a vagina. ^_~

no thanks dude
but thanks for talking to me
srsly go find a man, there are plenty of faggots out there if look hard enough

It isn't a sexual thing. It's just an act of affection, like a hug. But a hug isn't as cute as a kitty curled up in your lap.

but my lap is right up near my dick
I'll give you a hug though you massive twink

Mkay. ^_^

*hug*