/aoty/

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Androol/r4.0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

post them charts lads

ah that damaged bug album, I really didn't give it a fair shake, need to give that another go.

these are all of my 8+/10. lot of shit to catch up though, i've been slacking this year.

alphabetical order btw

Fun year so far!

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Androol/r4.0

Gave the new Faust album a couple listens today and was digging it.

Sup mountain chart dude

Damn throwing the gauntlet down on King Giz. I admit despite my lenient grading, it hasn't exactly been in rotation. I suppose I'll have to put it through the ringer again.

yeah same i hardly listened to anything up until about a month ago

definitely some good releases this year. i've noticed the albums i've enjoyed the most are from artists i've never heard of, while there's been a lot of disappointments from artists I already liked.

sampling a few albums on your chart, some good stuff, added a few of them to my list to listen to

i added that kraken quartet to my list, seems pretty cool

hey hey buddy. that dopplereffekt album sounds pretty nice, gonna have to give it a listen

i had never heard king gizzy before, so i didn't know what to expect. it's in a genre that i'm not much into, but seeing as it had "microtonal" in the title, i thought i'd give it a shot. i feel like they didn't take advantage of the microtonality, and it wasn't used in an interesting or exciting way. microtonal music can lead to amazing moments of dissonance if it's used creatively, but there was never a time where it really stood out on this album. I also don't really like the way the lead melodies mimic the vocals in a lot of the tracks.

i think my low rating compared to others is just due to the fact that i had different expectations going into it, compared to most king gizzard fans or fans of this genre of music.

Michael Gordon - Sonatra
Gas - Narkopop
Max Richter - Music from Woolf Works
Jlin - Black Origami

everything else has been unimpressive - especially Planetarium holy shit. I was expecting with Nico Muhly and Bryce Dessner there would be much more of an instrumental focus but instead it's a bunch of shitty electro-pop that sometimes plays some strings or trombones. almost total kitsch

Also those of you with more than 10 albums at this point in the year, quit the pseud behavior and quit overrating mediocre shit to try and seem "in-the-know." We can tell this is your first year on Sup Forums.

I'm out of the loop like crazy but I really like the new Little Dragon and Sorority Noise.

>i think my low rating compared to others is just due to the fact that i had different expectations going into it
Ok interesting I thought maybe it was related to them apparently being put through the ringer right now over copyright infringement. Although I have no idea if it's technically come to that but apparently the accusations have started flying. From what I heard of the two songs they don't have a leg to stand on, however for all I know they actually purchased the rights to the song. If shit really hits the fan I might go from a 3/5 to a 2 just over that. I don't remember the song offhand but there's a couple YouTube's about it I think.

>Black Origami
Gave this album some solid listens and it didn't do much for me. Lost me hard at the track with the Resident Evil sample.

If that's what turns you off from an album then you must be pretty shallow. Her skill at structuring the form and interplay of all those rhythmic elements, while maintaining the aesthetic unity between world music and electronic music, is undeniable.

>there's been a lot of disappointments from artists I already liked.

I can relate. Fleet Foxes, Spoon, Alex G bummed me out.

I've listened to maybe 300 albums released this year and seriously rated about 100 and I've been a reg here for about 4 years

Calm down dum-dum. Can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure the long collages like mine () are usually just all of the albums that the person has liked enough to keep in their library and give repeat listens to, ranked. Just because my list has 40 albums out of the many, many more that I've sampled doesn't mean I think they're all masterpieces, but they ARE all albums I've enjoyed.

So go fuck yourself.

>tripfag self-advertising as "le oldfag xD" when no one asked
not even surprising desu

Just ignore everything below the top 10 if you're really so easily triggered :^)

another trip for the filter, what a treat!

I am seeing a major deficiency in sampha ITT
I've had some of the hottest sex of my life to that album.
Some of the best modern fucking music I've encountered

what's that top left one?

I need to go back and listen to it again soon, Plastic 100ºC is one of my favorite songs of the year thus far
Archivist - Construct
Solid space-themed atmoblack

Yo whats your fave so far? Really like your taste.

Honestly a toss up between new 水曜日のカンパネラ, Forest Swords, or Kelly Lee Owens

I like the new Sun Kil Moon and Perfume Genius but nothing so far has wowed me or anything.

>green twins
excellent
Anyone keeping track of the punk/hardcore this year? Ive had trouble finding any.

come on buddy no need for a negative attitude in these threads

This year has been weak as shit desu. Maybe it will be saved in june by Fleet Foxes or Alt-J (probably the former) but otherwise I lost all hope.

The albums that dont deserve to make the list get bumped off as the list gets filled out, is that really such a hard concept?

@

Fleet Foxes album is great. Currently my AOTY

Humanz was painful, and this is coming from a Gorillaz fan.

Check out new Kiko Dinucci

Check out new Scorpion Violente and Offerbeest

Five months of music and you're that surprised that people have more than 10 albums they liked so far? Get your head out of your ass.

Yeah actual hardcore punk has been really slim for me as well although I haven't really been trying. Offhand the inkybthing I've heard of Fuck You Pay Me aka FYPM - Dumbed Down which I gave a strong 2/5 which is passable for me.

This is exactly why I think these threads should have a different name. Maybe. I think these threads are just for general current year discussion. Although this post is directly addressing charts which I generally disagree with anyway. RYM revolution when. I mean you have to click on the picture so what the fuck is the difference from clicking on a link.

Missteps III.
Fuck the haters

test

How did you create this chart?

tonemenomicon

Cortes Curtos right? Will do

rym or charts are both good

I made it in gimp

3rd row 3rd and 5th album names?

Also how good is the seiko oomori album? I haven't listened to it yet.

Why does this need to be a general that's constantly up? Why can't we just have nice threads a few times a week, that don't have stupid names or anything. This kind of thread just leads to namefagging. Go to another website if you want a long-standing persistent thread.

What a fucking freak. I don't really even know where to start with you Im so disgusted. First of all its not always up. It should be though. I would say this is the most important thread if kpop didn't literally just save my from its pathetic self.

Fucking autocorrect

My = mu

Although I will say that this is more evidence that a different name should be used. However everyone that's complaining seems to be an utter pleb.

lots of mediocre shit here
oto hiax and visible cloak wouldnt make any other year, just goes to show how bland this year is

Just listened to this and I was blown away, great blackened death doom

Is Max Richter's album worthwhile?

After the first rather epic song Im inclined to agree but I'm pretty drunk which Im actually required to admit.

moonlandingz album was pretty great. the tour shows were class as always

i havent listened to a whole lot of 2017 releases but what i have heard im really enjoying

>B L A C K I E
Nice my man

I didn't mean the sample itself turned me off but rather as a way to describe the track since I forgot the name. I agree that the rhythmic interplay is great and how the absence of sound plays into the mesh of staccato but that's all there is. Feels very one noted.

>Feels very one noted.
Literally what I came to post although that's not inherently bad but usually prevents a 4/5 and consequently true aoty contention. So I should probably go ahead and pull the trigger on a 3/5 which is certainly very good for me.

After ms dalloway it drops a bit in quality, but try it.

instead of Album Of The Year we should call it Albums Of The Year

yo idles

bump

>Clap! Clap! - A Thousand Skies
Solid footwork-inspired UK bass stuff with strong tribal influences
>Geotic - Abysma
Comfy microhouse by the guy that does Baths, really bright and mellow stuff
I like the new Seiko Oomori, I assume you know her stuff. The second track's got the dude from 神聖かまってちゃん guesting vocals

How's the new Felicia Atkinson?

it's really great, some similar territory to A Readymade Ceremony but with more rhythm.

How was the new Residents? I've listened to Duck Stab and was immediately thrown off by the first track. Only other thing by them I've heard was Eskimo which is one of my all-time favorites. What's this new one like?

bump

personnal aoty : beach fossils - somersault (out june 2)

Ohh shit that leaked? Do you have the link? Or is it just on soulseek? How did you feel about it, and how'd it stack up with their other stuff?

nice, I'll check it out later

I think this bad boy might be the sleeper that no one sees coming.

It's really good if you haven't heard it. I'm not sure if it is AOTY though personally

I have. I got a leaked one from a thread a couple of days a go. I personally believe it's AOTY material, but to each their own.

>definitely some good releases this year. i've noticed the albums i've enjoyed the most are from artists i've never heard of, while there's been a lot of disappointments from artists I already liked.

This has been going on for about a couple of years now for me. Feels kinda bad, but new acts are still exciting I guess, just gotta learn to let go

link???

>gas
>planning for burial
>tangible rays
>mew
>eye candy
>damaged bug
My nigga

it's pretty good actually, it's a concept album about horrific train accidents. It's got more of a rock approach so it's a lot different from their older stuff. It's kinda like Wormwood but not as weird.

i am 1/3 through Planetarium and none of it, with possibly the exception of Jupiter (which was pretty balls to the wall so hardly counts in my mind), strikes me as remotely bland electro-pop. It's much more ambient than anything on Sufjan's previous major albums. Can you explain what you mean a little bit more?