Hey there Sup Forums

Hey there Sup Forums
I want to discuss music creation with you

>What kind of music do you produce ?
>What hardware/software do you use ?
>Do you have any tips to enhance audio quality ?

Also general YT/Soundcloud thread if you want to share your latest work.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/rzhnwkbs
soundcloud.com/faintest-of-breath/tracks
youtube.com/channel/UCuTDA8xzMTEN2KozUXC_F2A?&ab_channel=FaintestOfBreath
soundcloud.com/riversidejynn
soundcloud.com/riversidejynn/sets/things-to-consider
soundcloud.com/boundarylayer
m.soundcloud.com/polypaw
youtu.be/8XtnvnTGhVk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP here
Mostly electronic music, jamsessions, sometimes guitar jams
I don't like using software, so I do everything with my gear
MPC or PO12 for the drum parts
Minibrute and Microkorg XL+ for synths, basses and leads
Some Volcas and monotribes for synth sequences
Guitar for leads
Don't put too much delay/reverb I guess.
The simpler the better

Analog>Software

Any Sup Forumstards produce EDM?

actually no, shitty analog exists, and very good digital exists too

Dude analog will always beat digital, analog is a lot more raw & atmospheric

>What kind of music do you produce ? Electronic
No hardware or analog synths. DAW is Ableton, main soft synths are Sylenth1, Serum and Synplant.
Read "Mixing secrets for the small studio". Mixing is crucial. Use less layers, keep it simple and only use sounds that need to be there. Use distortion on bass, drums, etc. (Makes it crisp). Learn about timbre, harmonics and dynamics. Clip drums with compression but lower the output. If you want anymore tips ask.

Soundcloud.com/onetwotrails

Genre: Kind of hard to explain without giving the wrong idea but heavy beats, lots of moving textures, contrasting elements of clarity vs distortion. Kind of boom bap mixed with trap. Not very edm sounding more and organic sounds.
Gear: been experimenting with cheap/free apps on an Android phone lately. Used to use a motif and tons of massive but kind of over that now. Also just got a volca which is cool for sketching out new sample rhythms. Recording through a black lion mod saffire pro 56. Arranging and mixing in ableton through a pair of PMC MB1's /senny hd600's.
Will be putting something out on bandcamp sometime this year.

>a lot more raw and atmospheric

besides the fact that this simply isnt true, why do you think that?

analogue is often warmer, often due to the shape of filters. digital is very brittle sounding, but can easily be fixed with proper eq'ing.

what makes you say its "more atmospheric"? you can change the stereo model of any sound regardless of digital/analogue. the choice of sounds defines the amount of "atmospheric".

>more raw

again what does this mean, its just buzzwords.

Also, tips: read and practice a lot. Experiment on a multitude of systems until you have a better idea of how things are supposed to sound in the real world. Find you a system that works well with your room and your needs. Don't try too hard to sound like or mix like someone else just make it fun, creative and balanced.

But I guess having a good mix only using VSTs and samples is easier
My main problem is to have enough volume when recording my stuff so I don't have to make the sound dirtier by turning volume up.
Also, I think I'll crack Ableton one day, but I'm too lazy to start going software....

Also nice soundcloud
Where do you find your vocals, collaborations ?

how old are you user ?
Also what gear do you play on and what genre

also this is my most recent wip from the past few days

clyp.it/rzhnwkbs

understanding your room is imperative, people seem to find finishing songs a chore which i dont really understand

imo an artist should assess what they are trying to make, there is obviously merit to true creativity and just progressing down the rabbit hole but it must be understood that if you know you're making trap, while understanding the traits of trap - it will be a lot easier to end up with a finished product.

the same will be the same for understanding the traits of any other genre.

just record quietly and use that headroom as creative space to change/adapt/design your sounds to the song

if you need volume use a limiter or compressor or preamp or any other countless ways to increase volume, it is much better to be too quiet than too loud.

the tools to properly make things more tame are shit tbh, there is no downside to producing/recording quietly as long as the rest of the project is equally quiet and the recording was conducted properly

>What kind of music do you produce?
I make (best way I know to describe it) Video game metal. Instrumental stuff that you might hear in a boss battle, or an anime. I love the epic soundtrack type feel, but I love metal as well.
>What hardware/software do you use?
I use Mixcraft Pro Studio 7. I don't see anyone use it, but it wasn't that expensive, I can do unlimited tracks, and it comes supplied with a ton of sounds and effects I can use. Pretty much any VST I find online works with it. Guitars and bass are recorded through a Scarlett interface.
>Do you have any tips to enhance audio quality?
The one tip I could share that would apply to any music is before mixing down if you're wanting it loud, don't push the decibels of your tracks. Keep them low so the audio quality is good. After mixing down the song to one track, take that track back into the DAW and apply compressors, limiters, etc to get it how loud you want the sound to be. Outside of that, there's no wrong way to make music, I think.

I have a soundcloud I just started here for the album I'm working on if anyone is interested: soundcloud.com/faintest-of-breath/tracks

And my Youtube: youtube.com/channel/UCuTDA8xzMTEN2KozUXC_F2A?&ab_channel=FaintestOfBreath

>been producing for 6 years
>still absolute garbage
>only ever completed less than 10 songs
>they all sound like shit
>constantly starting songs with no idea how to develop a complete arrangement
>literally no other prospects in life or anything that makes me happy

How soon should I kill myself?

Hey user OP here
Been making music for about the same time as you, maybe a little less
What I do still sound shitty most of the time.
Anyways, most of the time, I just play music alone, or jam with a friend and eventho it's shit I/we have fun making it.

What make your music shitty ?
Also do you have any records to share ?

>imo an artist should assess what they are trying to make, there is obviously merit to true creativity and just progressing down the rabbit hole but it must be understood that if you know you're making trap, while understanding the traits of trap - it will be a lot easier to end up with a finished product.

>the same will be the same for understanding the traits of any other genre.

this is what i would say to anyone who has trouble finishing their tracks

They have shit arrangements and shit production. I have nothing I'm comfortable sharing. It's all terrible.

Slowly having to make peace with the fact that this shit probably just isn't for me. I'm damn sure not a star, and I'm probably not even good enough to make a single dollar off my work any time soon.

I'll probably end up doing mediocre sound design for video game companies or something.

soundcloud.com/riversidejynn

> hate if you want but I produce 99% of what i've written to in Ableton
> enjoy if you're not a faggot

sounds like the vocals are always very present but the instrumental seems to be left to the foreground, i get that its meant to sound like that but maybe a little too much?

great stereo presence and mix just feels like the vox pop out "too much"

also the mc's robotic flow isnt for me but its not my tunes

> I'll consider this feedback on the next mix, however it might just be my monitors.

soundcloud.com/riversidejynn/sets/things-to-consider

noise
effect pedals, mini mixer, matrix mixer
Watch for clipping.

soundcloud.com/boundarylayer

those are analog synths nigga, not 4 production

Awesome gear Sup Forumsro
m.soundcloud.com/polypaw
Oldschool shit.
Anyways. Now I'm making dubstep, dnb, techno, ambient and mixed/whatever shit.
I'm all itb with ableton suite in my effects and synths (stock or free vst). BBBBBUT!!! i bounce and manipulate post (resample) instead of relying on midi automation. Afterwards my audio ALWAYS go otb to analog guitar pedals (analog; compressor, booster, germanic OD) or a variety of speakers i have mic'd up for organic, non digititis tones. I'll sample a lil vinyl and record drum/percusion/vocal sounds with my Nady sp5 dynamic mic... Then the mix goes to my friend's manely compressor cookie cutter style (i do my best during mixing) just to get a lil nice, polish tone.

I make metal music using the software Studio One v.3

If you want tips to enhance audio quality, i'd have to know the type of music you [want to] produce first, as each genre has different means of production. But generally, always go in depth with thw EQ, the EQ can change the sound entirely from bass boost, to treble boost, to cutting the edge of tone. So learn your EQ, and 'sall good

youtu.be/8XtnvnTGhVk

Ableton live, really quick on production, try to be as quick as possible, and not waste an hour.