I've never seen a film more pretentious than this one

I've never seen a film more pretentious than this one.

It had so much going for it too. Some interesting characters, a few GREAT actors, fantastic music, some cool cinematography. But it's all executed in the cringiest possible way.

>highschool students that somehow act like 40 year old detectives
>the main characters relationship with his friend Brain is so contrived, they act like brendan is james bond and hes just gathering intelligence from Q. Real life doesn't work like that, they doesn't even act appreciative that Brain is sticking his neck out for him. They arent private detective partners, there needed to be at least ONE fucking line of expositional dialogue that explains why they have this sort of relationship. CONTRIVED.
>Laura admits everything was her fault and then even says the women she got killed was pregnant with brendans child, yet they still are hugging and acting sappy

The writer really thought this was some kind of high tier noir, but it's literally nonsense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v_6s22L1GrQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can anybody name a movie more pretentious and up it's own ass than this one?

What was the point of the dreams where he saw Emily in the tunnel? It literally amounted to nothing. We understood that he was obsessed over it by his actions. They literally needed to show "trippy" dream sequences? Why did he have a dream of seeing her in the tunnel BEFORE ever finding out where the tunnel is or even that she is dead. No supernatural angle or anything of the sort gets brought up, but he has ESP. Fucking cringe.

trash

oh okay everybody is too busy posting cuck shit and posting tired memes to actually talk about a film

what a fucking trash board

The action scenes were pretty good though.

youtube.com/watch?v=v_6s22L1GrQ

I agree. The director clearly has talent. The story was fucking nonsense though.

But yes that chase scene was phenomenal.

>I've never seen a film more pretentious than this one.
Paper Towns.

This was a teen detective story. It has to take itself semi-seriously to avoid being Just Another Teen Movie (TM). I also think you're confusing pretention with eccentricity or just plain camp.

Every time I try to watch it I NOPE out after 10 minutes. It's just so cringey. Does it get better or should I trash it?

I found it pretentious because it seemed to think it was a serious enough setting to have a relationship like the one they had between Brendan and Brain.
Don't make your story at a fucking highschool if you want two characters to riff like they are HIGHLY educated, long time partners. Maybe you're right and pretentious is still the wrong word but god damn, it just felt so contrived for the sake of sounding like a "hard boiled" crime thriller.

>this pathetic samefag

lmao just lmao

The begining is the best part. I swear it gets worse. When you meet "the pin", some autistic skinny guy who sells drugs in his grandmas basement but somehow has an army of people working for him, it goes FULL cringe.

I've never actually seen somebody so new that they can't check the number for unique posters. Holy shit. Check the bottom right side of your screen, then after you realize you're a retard head on back to plebbit

>it just felt so contrived for the sake of sounding like a "hard boiled" crime thriller.

I felt the same way. At first I thought it was the main character acting like that as a gimmick, like he desperately wanted to be a hard boiled detective or something like that. I gave up on the movie when everyone was acting like that. It makes the movie go from a cool premise (teenager thinks he's a serious detective) to a cringeworthy one (an entire high school is full of film noir tropes for no reason).

Exaaaactly. If he was just a little autistic and thought he was a detective and everyone else was normal kid and you have other people telling him like "dude... I'm just tryina be a kid, come back to school man and stop going out at night trying to be a fucking detective" it could be an interesting premise.

I thought the whole point of the movie was to be a hard boiled detective movie set in high school. A la Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo dicaprio. I watched with this context and absolutely loved it

Yup that's the point.
Care to explain why that in anyway is a good idea?
Why could the same characters have not been in their 30's? What did the story gain from pretending these are children when they are clearly not? Do you remember being a senior in highschool? People don't act or talk like this. And there are consequences for constantly not showing up to school to lurk around and fight in parking lots.

Everybody got it, knowing the premise doesn't stop it from being intensely cringeworthy.

I think the problem with trying to pull off something like that is the change in scenery has to mean something. If you want to set a detective story in a high school, you have to actually use the setting and do something interesting with it. Brick doesn't. It just has teenagers acting like characters in a film noir for absolutely no reason and doesn't do anything interesting with the change in setting. Which makes the characters seem pretentious and out of place to people unwilling to just go along with a change in setting that has no effect on the storytelling.

It's the same reason lots of people hate that Romeo and Juliet adaptation.

this
0 reason all the same events couldnt have taken place with adults, it gained NOTHING from being in a highschool setting.
NOTHING
O
T
H
I
N
G

It's a tribute to that genre. Movies don't need to be grounded in real life logic to be good, they only need to be grounded in their internal logic. Think of the movie like you would any South Park episode that takes a plot, like the games of thrones episodes, and puts the kids in it. No, it doesn't make sense I the real world but it's a fictional story so it doesn't have to, it just has to follow its plot faithfully

Fuck you faggot, I love this movie. I'll fite u IRL. Yeah, they sounded like 40's detectives. Did you not realize that was part of it? It was a film noir movie recreated in a modern setting. It's the same shit as Romeo and Juliet starring John Leguizamo (which I also liked).

Cringe

It makes more sense with all the jocks, burnouts, nerds, sluts and groupies having so many overlapping social circles to be in a high school setting, though.

Also I should have read the thread and realized someone else already made the exact statement and comparison to Romeo and Juliet. I just haven't seen a Brick thread on here in a long time, and that movie deserves better than some 15 year old faggot talking shit.

Also I'm going to go get paper towns now because of this guy

Hi cringy I noticed you were into cringy things from cringe type media and also type cringe type things and such but was wondering why you type cringy too is it because of all the cringe or are you just cringy yourself maybe its from all the cringe you watch and that makes you cringy like a cringer type deal or something

Fucking idiot.

You had such an opportunity and you missed it.

WHY THE FUCK IS THIS THE NEW FOTM SHIT'S LIKE TWENTY YEARS OLD

>I'm going to go get paper towns now
Really not helping your point there bud.

It's 10 years old, but Idk. My friend told me yesterday it's his all time favorite. Not sure I can trust his taste now.

Eh, it was fun.

Fuck off.

It utilizes the high school setting by combining high school movie archetypes with their hardboiled noir counterparts. It's fun and in watching it you might see connections between these 2 seemingly disparate genres that you never thought were there. Not to mention it's just a pretty good story even if you disregard the setting. Stop looking for reasons to cringe, have an open mind, life is more entertaining that way.

You were already debunked before you even posted, fuckin dumbies

There needs to be a PURPOSE for changing the setting. Otherwise it's just "What if we made a pirate movie... IN SPACE?! SO WACKY AND ORIGINAL"

The setting did not service the story in anyway. A great story's setting is integral to the plot.
Such as Akira, The Dark Tower, Watchmen, etc.

Look, it's one of those movies you either love or hate. It's MEANT to be absurd sort of. The scene where the Pin and Brandon are at the Pins place and his mom is there serving them juice? That was meant to highlight that absurdity. Brandon hauled into the principles office and he yells at him to call the bulls? Same thing.

Also this chick was gorgeous. Worth watching for her alone.

I felt like the director was wanking right into my brain. Got the same feeling trying to watch Tree of Life

>There needs to be a PURPOSE for changing the setting.

And there was. It made what would have been a pretty standard film noir movie into something different and unique, to the point where we're still talking about it 10 years later.

Also, I would love a pirate movie in space. Fuck yeah. Fund it.

>The scene where the Pin and Brandon are at the Pins place and his mom is there serving them juice? That was meant to highlight that absurdity
And you know what, that might have been my FAVORITE scene in the movie. It was, as Lynch would say, The Eye of The Duck. The moment where all the elements of the film come together and give you one very intentional feeling. If more of the film had been indulging the absurdity of it's setting, it would have been some high quality Twin Peaks type shit. Instead after that scene it goes back to pretending all of this is normal activity for highschool students.

The movie was entertaining, it was just up it's own arse.

>literally admits the setting was just changed to make it unique, not to effect the impact of the story
>literally "What if we made a pirate movie... IN SPACE?!"

>WAAAAHHHHH MY RULES ARE THAT ALL MOVIES MUST BE SET IN THE TIME PERIOD I SAY THEY SHOULD BE
You sound autistic as fuck bro.

>This

RIAN JOHNSON DIRECTED THIS.

HE IS DIRECTING STAR WARS EPISODE VIII.

Have seriously none of you ever seen a noir thriller, the genre to which this movie was a very explicit homage?

>>literally "What if we made a pirate movie... IN SPACE?!"
That is literally Star Wars.

Holy shit that reading comprehension. Highly fucking unintelligent hahaha. Jesus christ "bro".

Nobody questioned what TIME period this should be in. And nobody is saying where a script should take place. All that was said is that the setting shouldnt be some RANDOMLY chosen fucking place, it should be related to the plot. That is basic writing.
Do you conflate autistic with having mild intelligence and not being a dumb spic?

I feel like I'm being ignored and maybe I didn't communicate my thought clearly. The point of the setting was to highlight the similarities between two genres that don't often come into contact. The delight comes in seeing noir archetypes like the grizzled police chief being reframed as a high school vice principle, and in feeling the rightness in this connection that you wouldn't have made without the movie pointing it out.

Brick is shit.
Looper is shit.
Star Wars is shit.

Seems like the perfect match.

Oh ya, I forgot that movie takes place in highschool. Good defense buddy.

>it should be related to the plot.

And it was you retarded nigger. You just can't seem to grasp that and think movies must arbitrarily cater to your PERSONAL opinion of what you think they should be.

>a movie so blatantly based on The Hidden Fortress that it directly steals shot set ups from it and even puts the main antagonist in a samurai helmet
>pirates in space

HOLY FUCKING SHIT SENPAI, STUPIDEST COMMENT OF THE WEEK FOR SURE

And yeah, this guy covered a reason. You don't like the reason and fail to accept it, but it's still there.

I doubt anybody has seen one as cringeworthy as Brick.

It's meta-dramatic irony, you fucking dunce.

Wait, what elements of the plot benefited from them being at a highschool? Care to explain? Or just going to keep spouting that your personal taste is a good justification for this movie's setting being benign and irrelevant?

The same story could have been told with men in their 40s, and the only benefit would be more believeability. The only thing we gain from it being in a highschool setting is a lack of plausability. Good shit dude. Keep eating up trash. I'm sure you liked Star Wars episode 7 too. Probably one of the autists who defends the prequels.

lmao who the fricking heck is akira kurowaka???
s m h grampa

>The same story could have been told with men in their 40s

And then it would have been kinda boring shit, absent the parallels drawn between high school cliques and mob life.

>story would have been boring without its contrived gimmick
oh wow, good job admitting its a shitty story
I agree, trying to find out what happened to this girl that nobody seems to care about except the main character is really not compelling. Good thing it had the little gimmick.

In Twin Peaks the weight of Laura's death can actually be felt and that alone makes you intrigued and compelled to solve the mystery.

In Brick it's just a self important jack ass acting righteous where ever he goes and starting shit, just to find out his girlfriend was a whore and a dumb bitch.

TIGHT

>samurai
>mostly set on ships
Whatever you say.

not him, but I thought it was fine. saw it once, enjoyed the novelty, wouldn't revisit it again. beyond being a unique setting, it's really just an average noir-type film. the characters are at least charming (sometimes). you could definitely make the argument that the setting does not benefit the overall plot, and I think that's a pretty fair one.

that being said, you sound annoying as fuck and I hope you get immaculately conceived chlamydia because you sure as fuck don't get laid enough.

>In Twin Peaks the weight of Laura's death can actually be felt and that alone makes you intrigued and compelled to solve the mystery.
LOL whatever the fuck you say. I seriously forgot that bitch died by like the 3rd episode of that show.

Unlike other things in this thread, this isn't even up for debate... The creators admit its influenced by samurai films and eastern philosophy... The force is ki/chi... A light saber is a katana, a jedi is a samurai. A samurai helm is shaped almost exactly like vaders. The oppressing government has an EMPEROR.
I'm probably just being trolled and wasted my time responding. Either that or you're 15 and instead of getting an education you've grown up on this site and watching lets plays.

You're not good at trolling.

>immaculately conceived chlamydia
cringy as fuck dude
Trying REALLY hard to sound intelligent, holy shit. That edge is out of control. Please graduate highschool before posting.

>because you sure as fuck don't get laid enough.
Good projecting. Please leave your home.

OP please don't ignore me. I feel sad and lonely and I thought make a connection her tonight because you wanted to talk but even here i'm ignored

It is influenced by many things, when you put rogue samurai on ships you have pirates.

Okay dude, the reason I ignored you is because you're right. And I guess it comes down to personal taste at that point. You're right it exists to point out those overlaps, but to that I say... Who cares? I appreciate that YOU appreciated that, but I still simply believe that it doesn't service any kind of character arch or influence the way characters interact. They go ahead and pretend they arent in highschool and a few broad connections get made. I do appreciate you pointing it out but at the same time it really doesn't elevate my appreciation of the film.

You are clearly intelligent though and entitled to the opinion that that factor makes the movie more enjoyable.

God, fuck Paper Towns. I picked up the book as per my friend's glowing recommendation and didn't get very far. I later read the synopsis on wikipedia and I honest-to-god would have thrown the book across the room if I'd read 300 pages and that was the ending. John Green is ass.

Brick wasn't terrible. Like others said, it shows clear talent from the filmmakers and cast involved. I thought the script stayed interesting, despite the pretentiousness like you mentioned.

To me it's just one of those movies that gets more praise than it deserves from people who haven't seen much stuff from the genre. It didn't really effect me since it was just a basic noir story set in a high school.

I appreciate your response. I would say that the connections might make a thematic point about life in high school but I'm afraid I can't really say for sure since I haven't seen the movie for so long. I encourage you, having freshly seen it, to see if you can think of points the movie might be making by drawing comparisons between high school and hardboiled thrillers.

i liked it quite a lot. sound was a too low at points. the noir style in a high school setting worked surprisingly well though. looper was shit though.

so, one of us saw a movie over a decade old and went on an anonymous message board to complain about it

you're nailin' it man, that liberal arts degree is the shit

>that liberal arts degree
You're not even good at building a strawman. You're so embarrassed and unintelligent you just default to your GG shit posting. I love it.

Ya I'm an networking security engineer. Enjoy being a man child.

am i hitting a nerve sir

>completely misses his mark
>gets called out on it
>"hurr I was only pretending to be retarded"

You're not good at trolling. Please go back to the school you dropped out of. Last response your autistic ass gets out of me. Go hit up twitter and bitch about liberals, you fucking cuck. And you ARE a cuck, hence you projecting about me not getting laid. We get it, you spend a lot of time getting triggered by liberals and masturbating. Bye bye little guy.

all of this guy's posts are like a glossary of shitty Sup Forums memes. bravo.

baby boi pls don't go, pls tell us how bad movies no one cares about are

it's pretty great yeah

>big ass empty campus

There's something strange about totally silent empty schools, I remember going to my high school at night with some friends to smoke weed and hanging out on the football field bleachers, it's surreal seeing such a bustling place be totally dead at night and almost pitch black save for a few lights

this is probably my favorite scene, I'm probably partial to it because that's a California high school and I went to one

Someone go back in time and change this movie's characters and plot to that of the PS2 game Bully

that did teen drama/action/intrigue a whole hell of a lot better, was also believeable

there's a handful of kids you meet that do act like this, I knew a few myself

they're usually selling prescription drugs, and more often than not it's the kids with the highest grades in all the AP classes and stuff, really eccentric weird kids who are kinda forced to mature really quickly

but it's never to an extent where the entire school population is like that. the people you meet in HS that act like this usually have older siblings or something and they establish connections that way