Color Grading in Television and Film

Hey you guys know a lot about TV and movies right? After all, that is what this board is all about. Then why, when it comes to the look of a film and when color gets involved, do you all use the word "filter" to describe what I can only assume to refer to the whole process of color grading in post production? The term is tossed around here in profusion (as well as on reddit) and "dark filter" or "blue filter" has clearly become a staple of Sup Forums lexicon--but is it so in these very industries so fixed under your passionate scrutiny?

Perhaps, in some infantile program you use to edit your home videos, hue, saturation, contrast, luminosity and values are dictated by the mere choosing of "filters," but in the world of professionals, who use actual editing softwares such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects Pro rather than iMovie or Windows Movie Maker, color correction usually entails utilizing curves and levels adjustment layers rather than just "filters" to meticulously and precisely engineer these factors, as can be seen here: m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuenozbiE0 . Note regarding the video: all adobe softwares maintain the same basis of functionality and technical interface, meaning that Photoshop and Premiere, or especially Photoshop and After Effects, have functions and attributes that are transferable across each other both in terms of skill set and software.

It seems, after much astonishment and disdainful reverie, that "Filter," based upon usage, seems to be a retard's stand-in for colorcast, tint, or even adjustment layer, but rest assured, there is no place for such a fantasy in the process of post production; it only demeans and belittles what is a pivotal and nuanced division of filmmaking and artistry in general-- but why should you guys know or even care about any of that?

congratulations! you've achieved the "Sup Forums doesn't know what it's talking about" badge
enjoy the rest of your stay

also: the irony of people complaining about an aspect of a movie somewhere while not noticing it everywhere else

Yeah people give the DCEU shit for their "color palette" when there are far more stylized films out there like the Matrix or the Ring; even Age if Ultron has much more intensely color graded scenes and no one gives a single fuck. Also, people are too chicken to reply to this post since I just called them out in their bullshit.

This board is full of people call capeshit "Kino".
What do you expect?

Id be down for this board having more posts like this desu

Thank you slayer of pleb

No problem. Plebs are just asking to be slewn.

Me too user. Me too.

Slain*

Shit. I guess I forgetted my past tense verbs.

Only problem with your post is that you've demonstrated a level of ignorance only slightly above the average Sup Forums pleb.

Professional colourists (the correct term) do not use "Adobe After Effects Pro" ("Pro" tip: There's no such thing. Its simply Adobe After Effects) or Premiere Pro.

They use an advanced application like DaVinci Resolve with complex control boards and multiple precisely calibrated screens.

The term 'filter' as it is used here refers to preset colour grades which obviously aren't used in Hollywood films but perfectly express a person's concerns with the look and feel of the film.

Next time you decide to come in here and deride others for their lack of knowledge, make sure your own is sound.

Capekino is not for those with little minds. But in all seriousness, fuck that meme. At this point I just assume it's a joke. I mean the movie can have it's merits without being hailed as an annoyingly over the top paragon of cinema; doing so just negates all credibility.

All the films in that picture look terrible. How in all seriousness are visual effects in blockbusters as bad as, if not worse, than those of 20 years ago?!

>Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects P

I work in color grading and pros don't use those programs.

Are you serious?

It's just someone pretending to be retarded with regards to why and how are colors, grading, color timing used to convey moods and meaning.

The problem is that gray is not a color

Haha well it was only a matter if time I suppose. Yeah I'm not gonna be a conceited asshole and keep on pretending to know more than I do, although I just did; I'll say this though: I'm happy to have drawn you out of the shadows. It reassures me to know that the person I wanted to pose as actually exists on this board, and that's you. I just wish this board would reach higher standards with more people like you who actually have I interesting things to share.

But user, it is! Do you not own any crayolas?

Yeah Hollywood doesn't, but please do share more about your craft. Is there anything you would like to share from personal experience that the layman may be oblivious to?

Look up the IMDB for the guy who did the color grading on Batman Vs. Superman.

He's to blame for the last 15 years.

>The term 'filter' as it is used here refers to preset colour grades which obviously aren't used in Hollywood films but perfectly express a person's concerns with the look and feel of the film.

Like it really matters if you say "filter" or "LUTs"

>He is to blame for the last 15 years.
It's really fucking sad that that your cinema exposure is literally nothing modern blockbusters/capeshit. There's nothing to blame, those films have their own cinematography and other films have their own. They're such a drop in the ocean its not even relevant.

but of course a pleb who barely watches films, and whose only exposure is blockbusters, would whine about something like this.

Man Of Steel would disagree with your sentiment.

That's the difference between an eye rapist like Amir Mokri and an artist like Larry "J.J. Abrams Is Functionally Retarded" Fong.

He's the lead colorist for the lead company on most Hollywood blockbusters.

He can't worm his way out of accepting his share of this disgusting Post 2000 digital crayloa abomination we're living through.

I also like how you're criticizing people for not doing anything but watching blockbusters from the last 15 years, despite the issue you're discussing being only relevant in the last 15 years.

Haha well it was only a matter if time I suppose. Yeah I'm not gonna be a conceited asshole and keep on pretending to know more than I do, although I just did; I'll say this though: I'm happy to have drawn you out of the shadows. It reassures me to know that the person I wanted to pose as actually exists on this board, and that's you. I just wish this board would reach higher standards with more people like you who actually have I interesting things to share.

>Whining about small trend in a sea of films like it's a super massive black hole
I shibbolethed me some people that don't watch films outside of top 10

That is all, no need to be upset that you found out your cinematic IQ is low.

>professional world
>grading with after effects

get your sorry ass outta here ya cunt

have some standards and use Da Vinci Resolve

It's funny because Age of Ultron and Man of Steel have pretty similiar saturation levels.

>Small trend

>Small trend

>Literally a fundamental part of nearly all modern motion pictures

Please go back to Sup Forums or Sup Forums and stop spreading your casual germs here.

I'm assuming the first movie you ever saw came out sometime in the early 2000's and your understanding of the cinematographic process isn't much beyond a kid who thinks the actors shoot the movies themselves.

Sad!

>but in the world of professionals, who use actual editing softwares such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects Pro rather than iMovie or Windows Movie Maker

Come on now mate. Premiere is used more and more but After Effects is not. If you want to talk about professionals software created for Color grading, maybe you should talk about at least DaVinci Resolve. You talk like you know a lot about color grading but your knowledge seems limited to the Adobe suite software. It makes you look like a pretentious asshole that got his knowledge on youtube watching early FilmRiot's and Videocopilot's stuff.

The pleb keeps on plebbing about some trend in shitty Hollywood blockbusters and arguing how they rule the world.

Watch more films to put this small trend in contrast.

>Trend in shitty Hollywood blockbusters

>Literally a fundamental part of the film making process on all level of films since the mid to late 2000's

Goddamn son, you really are ignorant.

Color grading has been on films since the dawn of time, just under different names and techiniques. What you are whining about is specific use of it in shitty minority of shitty films

fucking giga pleb

Somebody needs to make a "Zack Snyder's Crayon Collection" shop with various shades of gray.

>muh curves and levels
Congratulations you just out-retarded the retards

It was like this a few years ago. Before the memes and Sup Forums, where people had actual movie discussion, beyond the latest popcorn flick/super hero blockbuster.

But as it seems, this time had passed. I still fondly remember a thread, where we discussed visual styles of Bergman, Tarkovskij, Kurosawa and so forth.

>Digital color grading has been on films since the dawn of time

Not a single feature prior to the early 2000's, and prior to that confined to Music Videos and Commercials in the 90's.

Please go back to Sup Forums.

>What you are whining about is specific use of it in shitty minority of shitty films

Literally 99.9% of all films released in the last 5 years. You're a moron. You've outed yourself as a pleb of the highest order.

Take your casual ass back to whatever board you're visiting from.

>DIGITAL.
No, you used the word *COLOR GRADING* you backtracking plebeian.

>Literally 99.9% of all films released in the last 5 years
Yes, they all use some sort of color profiling, not all use extreme versions of it like Snyder for example. And it's a minority of Hollywood shit flicks. It's like whining about why does the shit taste bit different than the other shit, while all of the shit is just that.

Hilarious you pretend to be patrish

That's two words, and I didn't use either you fruit cake.

>Yes they all use some form of digital color grading

No shit. And a lot of them use it horribly, not just a minority.

And people can feel free to complain about it, just like professional cinematographers like pic related complain about it.

You think color grading has been part of films since 2000s since that was the first time you watched your first Snyder film or something similar, while ignoring the fact that even a black and white film from the 1920s was color graded since you can adjust white point and color timings (techiniques were just different, results the same)

>posts another plebs first cinematographer
fucking proving my point here lol

but go on, pretend to be patrish. i'm sure you gather some Sup Forums points about your silly issue with a minority of films that use extreme color grading.

I'm sorry I lashed out at you user I have just seen these stupid threads too many times

bump, this is interesting

bretty sure hollywood uses avid
not fucking garbage like adobe kek

Deadpool used premiere, probably not for grading though

Sometimes you want things to look different from 'real' world, that's fucking it. Basic art direction and cinematography

>adding the word digital
lol you already lost
If anything blame Darius Khondji for popularizing bleach bypass though that accusation is unwarranted

>make the entire scene the same hue with an overlay
>no longer have to take any kind of color theory into consideration

top wew lad

The Matrix' green tint is widely agreed to be shit and wasn't even present in the original film.

That's because those aren't profiessional colour grading/correction programs.

As long as you don't pretend that certain scenes (mostly everything that wasn't happening in offices/daylight) weren't color corrected and graded heavily.

'Normal' colors aren't the 'right' answer in an artistic medium

Nobody complains about color grading. They complain about specific kinds of color grading. Are you retarded?

Personally I think it's a really nice stylistic choice as not many films are "green", most are blue or orange. It gets across the fact that theyre in a simulation and it hasn't aged too badly either.

He was directly complaining about the Matrix and I responded to him you fucking faggot.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was responding to a post claiming the Matrix doesn't get shit for the overt green tint added to later DVD releases and the sequel.

Then you started talking about shit entirely irrelevant to the Matrix' green tint, while simultaneously claiming that the only reason people complain about color grading is because the colors aren't "normal."

Literally no one has ever done this. You're apparently too busy autistically bitching about people's vocabulary to realize this.