>click on a Sonic Youth song that I've been ignoring
>starts out pretty good, wonder why I've never listened to it
>Kim Gordon's voice comes in

He looks thirsty

Kim Gordon's voice is a pleb filter

Maybe he's Parchen for Additional

this

Correct.

I like Sonic Youth a lot, but Gordon's vocals are a little annoying, and Moore's are actually way worse. He has this awful, sarcastic hipster way of saying, or singing, everything. I almost can't stand him. I prefer Gordon's voice, but I really kinda wish Ranaldo just sang everything.

Also here to confirm this.
Most of the time I think Kim's vocals work really well, but sometimes, especially on Dirty, she does this raspy throaty voice that bothers me more than the sound of styrofoam.

Yeah, Kim was completely off on Dirty for some reason. I think her voice is great on stuff like Tunic or Halloween though.

>Tunic and Halloween
patrician choice in Sonic Youth, alongside their s/t

glad they broke up. their solo work is better than anything they'd done in 20 years, excluding kim which speaks volumes

the eternal is dope as fuck

Fuck off faggot, Kim is great.

Crumb is the only good track this hack was ever involved

Ronaldo's vocals are the saving grace of this band to be quite honest

I think my favorite Kim tracks are the live version of Shaking Hell, Brave Men Run, and Bull in the Heather. Your picks are good ones too though.
I don't think anyone would claim the vocals are the selling point of the band. The real fun is the conversations Lee and Thurston have with their guitars, it's crazy how well they complement each other.

Why are people always complaining about Kim? I've listened to Sonic Youth for years and never noticed anything abrasive or polarizing about her vocals. Her songs on Daydream Nation were some of the best.

Kim's vocals just get time to get used to. Her vocals on Dirty grew on me admittedly.

I just saw their interview with Narduar for the first time the other day, now I can't listen to them without thinking about it :(

The problem with Kim isn't her voice, it's her alternately vapid/cringey (My Friend Goo, ugh) lyrics.

When did you guys get into sonic youth?

I remember I put on tom violence one day when I was tripping balls and it was never the same after that for me

I heard Teen-Age Riot like everyone else, but it was Sugar Kane that hooked me. Of course the rest of Dirty wasn't like that, but I learned to like it after a while, after I dove into their 80s stuff.

SUPPORT THE POWER OF WOMEN

Really hated them for a while, but heard Incinerate before sophomore year of high school and then went back to DDN, their earlier stuff, then eventually Mars, Teenage Jesus, Blurt, James Chance.

When I was a baby watching mtv I saw Bull in the Heather and I loved it.

Who cares? I don't see why anyone would listen to Sonic Youth for the lyrics.

shes hit and miss with her culture critique lyrics, but shes great whn she hits it
sy has dope lyrics friend

new york i love you but yr bringing me down

>sonic youth fans that think kim vocals are good/bad
>sonic youth fans that think lee vocals are good/bad

I think this has to do with their process, what a pop singer does is come up with and choose material that suits their vocal range and pursue the ideas that work... sonic youth process was more about sonic* experimentation and mainly guitar riffs and noises... all 3 have incredible songs at the same time they routinely sing complete bullshit but even then its never as bad as frank zappa. vocal technique and performance was just not the focus of the band.

of their finalized/released material, lee sang the least. if anyone thinks lee is the best singer of the band, well he only had to sing on a couple songs each album that happened to fit his range.

W-what happened to her?

sonic youth is a pleb band

Sammy Hagar should have sung for SY

I saw it too just last week and it's been weighing heavily on my mind when listening to them as well. I still enjoy themusic as much as ever, but it sucked seeing thurston and lee acting like high school jocks bullying the nerdy kid. Not punk rock in the slightest, and they were in their fucking 30's. I've always thought thurston was the coolest, but now I'm not so sure.

>The Sonic Youth

Lee's Instagram left a sour taste in my mouth, desu.

His new song sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately he's starting the tour before the album comes out. I hate it when people do that.

Honestly it put me off the band after that. Sure they're music's fine but they come across as complete gobshites in that.

Listening to Daydream Nation and getting to the last song

Not that, It's just that he's a liberal douchebag and I don't even browse Sup Forums. Is it wrong that I'm kinda bummed?
There were a whole bunch of snarky political posts last summer, but Without all the political bullshit he seems like a cool guy tho.

I DONT THINK SO

Teenage Riot and Kool Thing helped get me into them. I put off really digging into their discography for way too long. I finally decided to start with their earlier stuff and when I got to Evol I was hooked. Tom Violence blew my fucking mind along with Starpower and Expressway to Yr. Skull.