What is the best pocket knife for EDC and why is it the Benchmade 940-1?

What is the best pocket knife for EDC and why is it the Benchmade 940-1?

>pic related

>folding knife

whats wrong with that, broseph? From europe?

Out of the 3 knives that I use for EDC two are Benchmade and one is Bucks.

The fuck's that got to do with anything? Folding knives are shit, is my point.

Folders are fine for EDC - depending on the lock mechanism you can get quite a lot done as well with them. Bushcraft etc. you are gonna need a fixed blade.

Well, yeah. True. It would be stupid to use anything but a fixed blade for innawoods stuff. But doesn't the US, at least some states, permit the open carry of knives?

Fucked if I know - European. One of the Benchmades I carry is a fixed blade, damned small thing but no trouble yet.

>300 dollars for a knife
nigga I can get a gun for that. how about a real option?

Ah. I see. I would be careful about doing that. Especially with Norwegian fucking laws.

>2017
>everything is made of CF

S90v is overrated. Just about my least favorite "super steel"

>comparing knives to guns

Police have seen it on me and I have gotten no trouble. As I said, small knife, if you get over 10 cm blade length then they might have problems.

>bringing a knife to a gun fight

you carry a 300 dollar knife around just to open boxes? If i go innawoods i just bring my innawoods knife, my EDC for cutting crap is an opinel, If i felt like I need to defend my self, im not buying a knife with gun price money.

Yeah, most likely. Cops in Europe tend to not give a fuck so long as they can tell you're not doing anything wrong. Or being an Albanian.
>seriously believing knives are carried for self defense

>20 € on amazon

>you carry a 300 dollar knife just to open boxes?
No, I don't.

Yeah, it's a piece of shit that's going to blow up in your face if you put any kind of tension on it.

well OP does, or is stuff a fanboy retard then

Benchmade 940 reporting.

Have had it for 3 years now, after losing my mini griptilian.

Still love it. Best knife ive ever owned.

OR he's just a fucking sperglord like everyone else on Sup Forums.

iis the sheeeeeeeet nigga
best knife i had so far

You must not have had a knife of acceptable quality, then.

Oh shit, what are the odds...I happen to have mine in my pocket when I see this thread. I can't disagree, it's probably the best overall EDC for it's capability and size. Plus it's very classy and made with high end materials for a decent price point.

>t. someone who's collected $10-$1000 knives for years

I've since sold most of my collection and mainly carry my 940-1 or my ZT 0804CF if I want something larger (probably will sell it eventually for a higher end ZT model)

forgot pic

Yeah that knife is garbage

I've had mine for three years and I love it. Open boxes occasionally but I work around Aircraft and the aluminum scales are nice because they don't damage the aluminum on the plane if i slip( which can be a big deal due to corrosion)

The blade is also fairly slim so its nice for cutting food, and holds a great edge. I keep it clean but occasionally I will forget to and ill leave something on it overnight. Have had no issues with oxidation. The locking mechanism is what I love most about it though. Axis lock is wonderful.

I spent around 240usd on mine and It was well worth the price, minimal maintenance(just cleaning it, and sharpening every once in awhile.) Well worth the price and can for-see having it for another 10+ years.

If i had to buy another Benchmade, I think it would be the 470

It's a first production too :)

Allah snackbar

Why would you want a knife while at EDC? Wouldn't a bottle/can opener suffice?

ZTs are awesome though.
Had my 0560 for 3 years and its still awesome, even after some abusive shit

I'm sorry, did you mean the paramilitary 2?

I prefer my Spyderco PM2 personally, but the 940 is a solid choice

Excellent choice.

>carrying a Glock
>not being a total fucking faggot
Good on you, sir.

nice edge,
what sharpening method / stroping you're using?

>He likes fixed knives
>Carries it around in a sheath like a fedoralord

Faggot

I like my Smith & Wesson M&P shield 9mm.

Oh wait, I see you'd rather die with a knife. Ignore me then.

Except I don't. The only sheathed blade I carry on the daily is my katana.

>again, seriously believing knives are for self defense
Get a grip, faggot

I carry a griptillian Benchmade, spent about $80 on it, but it was on sale. I think it's actual retail price was $120 or $130, but it's been really good to me. Only had it about 4-5 months. I ACTUALLY wanted to get a Spyderco Delica 4, seems like that's a SUPER POPULAR knife and a ton of people gave it high reviews. It actually scored higher than the Benchmade knives, sadly nobody in my city sells Spyderco knives anymore.

I use the edge pro apex 4. If I have to regrind the edge I go 120 grit, 220, 400, 600, 800, 2000, 3000, then I finish with 6000 grit tape. After that I strop with a kangaroo strop with 100,000 grit diamond paste. It's not necessary but I'm autistic when it comes to sharpening knives. Once it's sharp as fuck you really only need to strop it once in awhile or maybe go back to the high grit tapes to align the edge again.

Also, if you're cheap, the basic lansky kit can actually get decent results. That's what I used when I was starting out.

high end customs >> benchmades, spydercos , etc...

How often should you sharpen a knife? I've had mine for about 4-5 months and it was pretty sharp out of the box, I haven't done a lot of cutting with it either. My friend said the edge is still pretty sharp, but it seems like it's gotten duller though. How can you tell if it needs to be sharpened? If it's able to slice through paper like butter then I guess it's still sharp, right?

>Getting faggot looking designs/engravings on the blade

Yeah, no. I'd take a Benchmade/Spyderco anyday over your over-priced gaudy piece of trash. That just tells me your insecure and need to walk around with gaudy weeb fedoralord crap.

That's the way the steel is. But you'd know that if you weren't a total fucking retard.
Whre'd you find this?

im currently using a dmt aligner
320, 600, 1200, 8000
and a strop after , pretty happy with the results, hair splitting etc
this are the results im getting with it

>nigga I can get a gun for that. how about a real option?

I said best. You think the best is going to be cheap?

>my benchmades

Well I've been handling knives so long I can just run my fingers across the edge horizontally and tell how sharp it is by how it grabs the skin. Apparently a lot of idiots somehow cut themselves that way though. Cutting phonebook paper is a decent way to test though. Since the paper is so thin if it rips instead of cutting, it's dull.

engravings?
engravings?

This is damasteel you dumbass

One thing that I do to check the sharpness of a knife, is to shine a flashlight along the edge and see if it reflects the light.

You're getting great results. You probably wouldn't improve with the edge pro, it has some flaws. Honestly the wicked edge is the best system to get insane results that are incredibly consistent, but it's fucking expensive cause you'll need the higher grit stones and the wicked edge stones are way more expensive since you need 2 of each.

this was the most expensive knife I ever owned...I'm too worried about scratching up high end knives so I wouldn't carry them much and that kind of defeats the purpose. I ended up selling it for more than I paid though, so that's something.

>edge pro apex 4

How hard is it for someone to learn and get results like you do with this? I just use a ceramic honing rod and leather belt with some metal polish paste.

>OP here with my 940-1

ye.. the wicked edge is out of my league , its already expensive in dollars , i cant even imagine the price of it by importing here, its 60% taxed on the door,
i've seen fantastic results with japanese waterstones freehand shapening

Benchmade mini-Griptillian or GTFO

It's honestly not hard since it's a guided system. I just watched some youtube videos and practiced on cheap walmart knives. Freehanding is something that will take time to learn since you need consistent steady hands

That will snap under the slightest pressure

You're going to fuck yourself up when that thing snaps.

More like Faggotsteel, kek. I'd like a knife made with Damascus steel, but I'm not retarded enough to walk around with a super expensive pocket knife, let alone use it. I feel bad enough using my Benchmade, and it was about $120.

My local knife store was SOLD OUT of fucking mini-griptillians, I was so pissed. I ended up getting a regular griptillian instead, it's a bit larger but I've gotten use to it.