~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~
~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~
~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~
~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~
~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MOUkI5hH2HY
instaud.io/YxR
clyp.it/mnfvxttx
clyp.it/kkq3ox2m
clyp.it/5dj3fwpy
soundcloud.com/search?q=starlings swarming
clyp.it/5u0dsasm
clyp.it/dvqiivfv
clyp.it/45jhsnse
clyp.it/oijw5x23
clyp.it/b0rrw2uu
youtube.com/channel/UCNBiLBQrKrnvwcVRD5fS8aA
instaud.io/YzV
instaud.io/YAb.
instaud.io/YAh
clyp.it/4ak2g3ft
clyp.it/b5m1kotu
clyp.it/lk2mns0y
clyp.it/mkzfdgp1
clyp.it/cfqhrnvs
clyp.it/drvpxsyg
instaud.io/YBL
hollowsun.com/simmons.zip
vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1028
clyp.it/imff1exd
youtu.be/uDjKl1ZfeoE?t=1
clyp.it/us0bb0qn
clyp.it/j2w0tbo5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Steve Duda videos are usually very insightful. This interview (3 parts) is the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=MOUkI5hH2HY

instaud.io/YxR

This is an early sketch for a new track.

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

This is an interesting track, got really cool around 1:10 and the keys around 1:30 are dope. I'd say keep developing it, the only thing I can critique is that the listener might abandon ship too early and miss out on some of the best parts, so perhaps try to make the beginning a little more interesting so that the listener doesn't mistakenly think they have the track all figured out early on.

Why is this thread so fucking dead? Post yr goddamn tracks buckos.
Here's an old ass beat I made in like 2012 from a sample I took from a VHS tape which I'm thinking of revamping, let me know what y'all think:
clyp.it/mnfvxttx

Funk style but jazzy reverb, gotta dry it out. Dirty it up too. Feels like there should be a soft kick on the last eighth note of the drum loop to help drive it forward, there's this start and stop feel to it that I'm not into and it isn't reflected in the constant driving shakers.

i was just about to close his music but then i read your post. So, this.

Like if Bohren did a guy ritchie film

thanks for the feedback. will do.

Don't got nothing near finished at the moment, got this I made while trying out Cobalt. I like it, it's pretty neat. Paired it with some Fairlight drums to further the 80s sound, despite going a super eurobeat direction.

clyp.it/kkq3ox2m

I think you've got way too many kicks happening in your rhythm. You've already got a solid 1234 1234 [softly] 1234 1234 in the harp sample, let that provide your rhythm. It's very percussive sounding. I'd consider going on the 1 and 4 in the loop like K--kS--- and whatever you want after that snare since the 1 and 4 sound most accentuated in the harp.

>~NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED~

stop changing the fucking sticky if you're not going to make it better -__________________________________-

Why can't we post soundclouds? I only have stuff uploaded there.

Sometimes people just post their personal accounts for attention and don't offer anything in return. Having a solid negative reaction to all Soundclouds helps to prevent that.

clyp.it/5dj3fwpy
>rough unmixed excerpt

This is very rough, but should i pursue this direction ?

>for attention
>clyp.it/sdkljfasdf;asdany thoughts?

fucking producers man.

just upload it to clyp, you're supposed to be asking for advice

i just had a look at a wdywt thread on /fa/ and it's amazing how pissy people get if you post your fit and you didn't reply to anybody. /prod/ should be the same posting clyps, or at least ask for specific advice

Opinion: It's a little busy. I think between the syncopation, blistering tempo, and smorgasbord of instruments, it's a bit hard for me to get much out of it.

I don't have the source mp3s anymore, they were on a computer that went belly-up. Maybe I can just get a critique for Stormpilot?

soundcloud.com/search?q=starlings swarming

Link to the previous threads you nigger

I'm imagining this as a noise crescendo/interlude into a fully formed track, otherwise it's just too many competing voices. Is that kind of what you're going for?

>-__________________________________-
Chill hoe, I had saved all of the resources but not the entire sticky, I was pretty sure the no sc allowed thing was all I was missing.

Why don't you make the fucking thread next time instead of leave a void for me to fill. /prod/ should be 100% upkeep nigga, I want a /prod/ thread every time I visit Sup Forums

so download them from your soundcloud........................................

Hopefully this thread won't be derailed by the guy who supposedly goes to gollege but can't install a program or use Google.

>the no sc allowed

was at the end. whoever changed it. what you posted is not it

>I want a /prod/ thread every time I visit Sup Forums

same but the threads tend to die once they get bigger. i used to try keeping them going but people are kind of shitty. i'll give fuck loads of responses to clyps and 9/10 times nobody comes back to follow up

that guy was a faggot

Working with some new sounds, not quite sure how to polish this, feedback and comments are much appreciated, thanks y'all.

clyp.it/5u0dsasm

there's nothing happening. I have nothing to listen to. Give me better structure and melody then we can talk sound design

sample... your ass!

imogen heap done that, slapped her ass put it on that record. the butt one.

hey guys, i wanna start producing in my room, i have the instruments but can anybody recommend me some cheap/good preamp and a program to mix in my pc?

>cheap/good preamp
>doesn't exist

ur22>the 2i2 people will recommend you because they don't know what they're talking about

as for a daw, reaper if you want a free one (don't worry it's fine)

ableton if you want to do electronic music.... it honestly doesn't matter. jus pick one and learn it really well. protools supposedly has better comping tools though. i wouldn't know.

You have recording interface or are looking for one with builtin preamps?

Appreciate the honesty, gives me some sense of direction, ill be back with a more focused track.

i would prefer to have an explanation on the difference of those two

i have a ur22 and no problems with it

Recording interface is an interface between analog inputs (instruments) and a computer(digital). It may or may not have built-in preamps and you may or may not want better ones (tubes)

hmm, in that case can you tell me of a preamp with a built in please?

What you're looking for is a recording interface. It's not in and of itself a preamp, but it may have preamps. Try googling for some recording interfaces and decide what you need (number/type of inputs etc.) Important thing to keep in mind especially with desktop versus rack-mounted interfaces is that their total number of advertised inputs is based on their expandability through daisy-chaining etc, so be sure the interface in fact has as many physical analog inputs as you need

ok thanks for answering, i will be searching a recording interface
thanks for the daw, just downloaded and will start searching tutorials when i finish searching for the other thing

clyp.it/dvqiivfv
sup bwas. Made this intro today. Where do you see this going?

makes me remember of the intro of earthbound, i like it, care to share more?

>care to share more
of what nigguh its a wip

>i just had a look at a wdywt thread on /fa/ and it's amazing how pissy people get if you post your fit and you didn't reply to anybody. /prod/ should be the same posting clyps, or at least ask for specific advice

I guess the issue is that the people who need the most advice are the last people you want giving others advice. Agreed that being more specific would definitely be a good thing though, I never bother listening to the
>clyp.it/sdkljfasdf;asdany thoughts?
posts.

i mean more of your work brah

>the last people you want giving others advice.

it's the being specific that bothers me the most. a lot of the time the track just sucks so i don't really know what to tell them besides "keep practicing and try to start mixing"

sure, here, just 4 u.
clyp.it/45jhsnse
clyp.it/oijw5x23
anybody who's been here a while has heard these

thanks brah, didnt notice cause i got here like 10 min ago

Something I do is I think about what I would do if I opened an old project to work on and their track was it, just to get in the right mindset. What here do I want to keep, what's the real essence here, what's working together, what's not, etc.

tfw people say shit like just sidechain

As a newish (6 months) producer that style of advice is by far the most helpful, without extensive technical knowledge it can be difficult to get the sounds you hear to the sounds being played.

hmmm... i'll keep that in mind

sometimes it's easier to say that than telling them they need to rewrite half the song because two synth parts are clashing the entire time

clyp.it/b0rrw2uu
im writing a song using vocaloid cause i cant sing- any thoughts on the mix? im not a very good prod person so im trying to work on it and any thoughts would be nice
ty

youtube.com/channel/UCNBiLBQrKrnvwcVRD5fS8aA

Michael New's channel, lots of song writing info delivered in easy to understand phrasing with a delivery that isn't monotone.

There's something off with the right guitar (is it on beat?) anyway you should let it fade out from the first part and record that same part differently, mic'd farther back with some verb maybe, and then bring it back the same when it picks up.

Also the stereo field is fucky, mostly the drums. Go easy with the panning on everything. You've probably heard "mix in mono" before, and I think that would help you tame everything before you spread it out. Good song though man, please post more stuff we need more rock and guitar based music in /prod/ :3

>we need more rock and guitar based music in /prod/ :3
No we don't

oh sorry you're right, I don't get tired of bland trap and electro with the same obscure and poor sampling anyway :^)

Worked a lot more on that track.
Is something completely different now, I think a lot better. What do you think?

instaud.io/YzV

Rhythmically unapproachable imo. The bass and drums don't seem to be working with the electric piano or shakers, like they're different songs that happen to be playing at the same time. Nothing seems to be shared rhythmically or harmonically from what I can pick up.

Try writing a new bassline and see how sparse you can make it. Use as few notes as possible each 4 or so bars, just enough to keep the rhythm going forward. Not necessarily sustained notes, the current staccato is fine.

With the drums I can't tell where the emphasis is, I think it'd be easier for me to latch onto if you put some variation in the velocity, maybe even control a soft lowpass with the velocity so quieter hits are a little less bright. Currently it's like every single note in the rhythm is accented and I can't stand it, not in my current late night state at least.

This is me Sounds a LOT better, user. I dig what you have going on now. Disagree with this guy about it being "rhythmically unapproachable", but I would advise you go for slightly less generic-sounding drum samples because it feels out of place given all of the incredible jazz vibes surrounding it. Not sure why you change it up so early, but it's an interesting switch. Keep working on it, it has serious potential I think.

fair enough.
I'll work on it, thanks dude, good advice.

thanks, i will.
Maybe more acoustic sounding drums?

That, or go looking for (slightly) more out-there synthetic samples, your choice. Given the aesthetic of the track, I don't want to be able to identify the drum samples you use, which I can currently

Guys. I just got Logic Pro today and it's fucking changed everything. In 12 hours I've written three songs that are all keepers, which never ever happens. Everything is just flowing now

I expected it to be complete shit and now it might be my preferred DAW

instaud.io/YAb. rendered a fragment with different snares

I modulated some shit here and there on some samples and came up with these sounds for snares. What do you think? Kept the original in there alternating. Think it kind of fits alternating. Maybe not.

instaud.io/YAh rendered a fragment with different snares

Also eased up a bit in the beginning on the bass like said.

I modulated some shit here and there on some samples and came up with these sounds for snares. What do you think? Kept the original in there alternating. Think it kind of fits alternating. Maybe not.

EARS WANTED

clyp.it/4ak2g3ft

Does it sound in tune?
Is anything clashing?
I need some confidence here. Thank you.

I like it alternating sounds dope. The only bit I don't like there is the sorta brushed cymbal sound that comes in about 1 minute

Nothing out of tune as far as I can tell but those drums do not go with the piano at all. The piano is all nice folky plink plonk while the drums are straight out of synth hip hop genres like trap, doesn't work imo.

Thanks, I was worried about the piano. And yeah I guess the instruments and drums are weird together but it's kind of a stylistic choice

Anyone have experience paying mixing engineers using platforms such as UpWork or Fiver?

We are an experimental rock band who has recorded and have a rough mix done of our stuff, wan't to pass it on to someone who works in Ableton Live 9 and carry out mixing requests.

Having mixed feelings about what we have achieved so far (either they aren't good at instructions or can't do it on Ableton).

> ur22>2i2
Why that? Been thinking about getting either one, but haven't decided yet.

Logic is way underrated if you ask me. It used to be the industry standard' but I guess a lot of the smaller Daws have caught up now and are marketed a bit better.

still in the making / mixing stage so please excuse the fact that it ain't loud.

what could I do to develop it further?

clyp.it/b5m1kotu

What's the most you should spend on an interface?

this is really sick mate, loving it.

It all depends on what you're going to use it for.

If it's just for a pair of monitors and some headphones a 2i2 should be good.

If you need many inputs, with advanced controls, and all the bells and whistles, then you might want to spend significantly more.

clyp.it/lk2mns0y
rate?

3/10

Made this 3 days ago. Not really knowing all that much about production and am a FLStudiofag, but maybe you could still tell me what you think:
clyp.it/mkzfdgp1

if your goal was to absolutely rape my ears then you succeeded

thx much m80. much appreciated

Well, I was trying to make hard hitting industrial track. I guess a lot of compression and distortion is important.
Whith that goal in mind, what should I change?

clyp.it/cfqhrnvs

Does this have enough substance to keep interest?

Raped my own ears making this, what do you guys think?
clyp.it/drvpxsyg

I think this track is finished for an EP I'm working on.
The last one to finish. Really hope it's good.

Does this sound like a good final mix to be mastered?

instaud.io/YBL

>clyp.it/drvpxsyg

Dude, the sound is superdope.

Really strong production.

Those menacing basses that come in now and then are great.

Great attention to details.

I think this deserves a subtle melody on top, try to do something BOC-ish. slightly detuned and warm.

This is me
I could really use your ears for this track. Do you think it's okay as a final mixdown?

love this, are you the same as ?

also, SC?

Yub, the same.

sc = /lucinate

popped you a follow. could you provide any more info on this EP release?

this really is the kind of stuff I could get into, stuff with great detail. Sort of reminds me of Skalpel but with a lot more complexity

ty v much, this actually means a ton that im getting actual feedback

sure, sent you a message on sc

hollowsun.com/simmons.zip

Bunch of Simmons SDSV, SDS400, Pearl Syncussion, Pearl DRX, and Claptrap samples for italo disco and synthwave and such.

On top of that vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1028 here's a Simmons SDS-V style drum synthesizer. It's not quite as good as the samples but you can adjust the synthesis and just pop on some effects to make it sound better.

wrote this in 10 minutes

clyp.it/imff1exd

this is literally gagging for a trap beat underneath it

that's what i was thinking of adding, some sub bass and some sprinkler hats

could i get some ears on ?

How would one make the dreamy arpeggiated synth in the very beginning of this?

youtu.be/uDjKl1ZfeoE?t=1

The 2i2 is completely lacking in headroom for recording even compared to other cheapo interfaces, it makes recording way harder than it should be.

There's really not any reason to pick the Scarlett, search it on gearslutz and the ur22 is pretty much universally favored

some clipping i know

clyp.it/us0bb0qn

now that im back from college i have all of my real equipment so i set up my rack and synths yesterday and recorded this at 4 in the morning -- i could really use some feedback on this because i'm thinking about adding vocals to it but i'm not sure if the middle section works. i like it but i'd like to get someone elses opinion on it

clyp.it/j2w0tbo5

sounds like a digital subtractive synth
if youre using a plugin you might want to do a two oscillator sawtooth slightly out of tune but not so out of tune -- maybe a couple of cents or so. set the plugin to mono and then in midi write out the entire chord you want it to sweep with and then set whatever your midi arpeggiator plugin is to 64th notes and for it to sweep up and down. then add a stereo tremolo or chorus or reverb or whatever you want
i like it without a beat -- i think it's good standalone
thanks! i cant use the vst because mac but the samples are extremely useful
american football? i think the intro is really boring but it picks up after the intro. the verse vocals are kind of annoying. the entire thing feels a little directionless: i think i like each part individually but they dont work as a whole (especially that wobbly lead synth)

>clyp.it/j2w0tbo5
that snare really gets lost in the mix, bass could be a little louder, everything sounds a little like it's sitting on each other frequency wise