ITT: Movies that failed miserably at adapting the book

ITT: Movies that failed miserably at adapting the book.

All 8 Harry Potter films

Ender's Game :/

One of my favorite childhood memories turned into popcorn flick rushed gutter trash.

Eclipse did a really bad job with the material which in the book was just implied to be happening somewhere, Riley et al

The movies were better than the trash tier books, that's for sure.

Sincerely, somebody who actually reads good books, like Infinite Jest and Canterbury Tales.

Wayside School. All the characters were changed, but one suffered the worst of it.

>Myron in the books: A tall, thin, smart, selfless, well-dressed white kid who was the best class president ever
>Myron in the show: A short, obese, slow-witted, selfish, badly-dressed nigger who's the *worst* class president ever

When it comes to adaptation, this is even worse than the "Arry did you put yer name in the Goblet of Fiyah" scene.

Horrid Henrey.

Sure this movie came out years after the books were written and sure this is only aimed at 8 - 10 year olds (the age I was when I read and enjoyed them) but what the absolute hell IS THIS?

>infinite jest
>good
i/lit/iterate pls

The Shining.

>being so sad that you cannot accept that the Kubrick version is 8/10 better than Stephen King's vision
I say 8/10 because it would have been nice to see Nicholson connect more with his son and for the dead women in the bathtub to have been explained like the book mentions.

Otherwise it is a perfect re-adaption.

City of ember

Aragon

Jurrassic park

This.

Also The Giver
Horse Whisperer
IT
Second Narnia movie

Never said the movie was bad, just that it was a poor adaptation. Also, loses points for not having the most frightening scene from the book in the movie, Danny in the snow tunnel. And for not having the hedge animals.

War of the Worlds. All of them.

Anything Steven King besides The Shining.

Every Hannibal film.

>tfw we will never get a good war of the worlds movie

>Steven King
>Steven

>Jurrassic park

You must mean The Lost World. That book is completely different

>compy attack is at the beginning of the first book instead of the second
>dr. wu plays a much more major role and dies
>hammond is an asshole and dies
>muldoon kills a raptor with a fucking rocket launcher
>no river chase scene
>no pterosaur scene
>malcolm makes it out alright
the first movie took some liberties

The adaptation of Battleground in Nightmares and Dreamscapes with William Hurt was amazing.

The Golden Compass
>leaving out the ending, or rather leaving it as sequel bait

Ask the Dust
>it does a lot of things right, like the period setting and visuals, but the characters are heavily botched. Instead of serious broody Colin Farrell the movie should've had (and would've benefited from) the tragicomedy Colin of In Bruges. Bandini is a pathetic character, but also funny as fuck in his misadventures and mild megalomania

The Mist and the two prison movies were pretty good Stefan King movies, though

Most of that comes under the reasonable umbrella of adaption induced brevity though.

Hammond was the only major thematic change, IIRC, but it's an understandable one.

Jesus Christ that looks awful. None of the bizzare, sometimes dark humor of the books.

No dune

Also every capeshit

This. Its obvious

Last Man on Earth was alright, Omega Man was a laff, but Will Smith can go fuck himself

Anyone else see this trash?

>Every capeshit
But they're mostly adaptations from comics for little kids anyway.

They are essentially treated as books now and treated as non failures when they are so I'd include them

I've never seen the Golden Compass, nor read His Dark Materials, but I'm a big fan of the talent it provided us with

That background is nice.

I did.
It was the bad that drained the soul by watching it, made even worse by Jeremy Irons taking pity on the project and actually putting effort into it, but only succeeding in making everyone else look terrible by comparison.

The book was no masterpiece, but they managed to fuck it up somehow.

Eragon is an offense to /lit/, Sup Forums, and Sup Forums

it did everything in the book correctly. it was the otther 6 hours of bulllshit that killed it

This.
War of the Worlds should be in 19th Century England.

Spielberg really fucked up here.

Yeah its a shame. The Percy Jackson books were very good. Are there any good mythology movies?

The original Clash of the Titans was fun. Some of the best Harryhausen creatures.

You know nothing about bad adaptation, at least in eragon they tried to keep the same ambiance from the book