"THIS IS THE MOST DEPRESSING THING I'VE EVER HEARD"

>"THIS IS THE MOST DEPRESSING THING I'VE EVER HEARD"
>"REALISTIC RECOUNTS OF PHIL'S WIFE DYING"
>Liked The Microphones
>Decide to listen to it
>The lyrics are literally non-poetic rambling
Why does everyone become deaf when listening to music with history about death behind it

Because context of the art piece

its not worth a 9.0
more like a 6
good attempt tho

honestly, if you hate this there really isn't an argument to make you like it, and as someone who loved it i totally get you. i(and phil) think that this isn't even music, but should be talked about because it paints a picture a world where everything is a memento mori while not using fancy language, making it the most genuine & accessible album about death ever. It's not how he says it, but the moments he feels that perfectly describe his situation, that make this album good. again, it's not even music, so if you think it's shit music, why not? I think it's important for reasons other than to be sonically pleasing music.

I've chatted at length with my friend about this. He thinks it's mediocre, I love it. We're never gonna convince each other about it.

If you assess it like a normal piece of music it's instrumentally unmemorable, lyrically unsubtle and blandly produced.

But desu I've never been made to heard grief presented so viscerally. It's just brutal and honest and heartbreaking. Like having any sort of hook or vocal spice when dealing with something this personal and crushing would just be really incongruous

I felt like I'd experienced grief after hearing this thing, which is more than any album has ever done to me before

I don't really associate emotions with music at all so that might be part of it

t. 90% thinking type with low EQ

Who said he was trying to be poetic?

The whole point of the album was to be cathartic for Phil.

the album sounds like how reading a suicide note looks.

>the music isn't good but i still have to like it
you guys are fucking retarded

Phil Elverum has demonstrated that he makes technically fantastic music. Why should his pure expression of grief be bound by what needs to be good? This album is art because of the raw emotion, not because of the stylistic features.

this album is the definition of CONTEXT > SUBSTANCE

>Giving a fuck about the globalist jew, his rigged media, or patsy 'bands'

why did Fantano give this a 9 but panned Carrie and Lowell?

Why don't you just tell us Schlomo

He didn't pan C&L.

>everything is jews

loosen your tinfoil hat mate

>DUDE KILL WAIFU LMAO

What's your favorite color?

>muh context
Important but not essential. If being extremely sad made for a genius album then every rape victim and widow would have a genius album to fund their therapy.

Fuck off Pajeet

Are you just indiscriminately making racial slurs or do you have a systematic approach?

>visceral
why does fucking everyone say this word now

In fact, why does everyone become deaf when listening to an album's lyrics
I swear some people like some bands only because they enjoy the lyrics and literally disregard the actual music

I am Jewish nigga.

And Pitchfork is corrupt and so is this fake ass band and really '''ratings''' in general.

i love the album btw

This is not actually true though, they're both important
That's why I would give this album a 7, because the context is amazing and the substance is just OK. So it evens out to a "pretty good."

Fuck off nigga.

Fuck all you corrupt niggas and your bullshit (((ratings)))

literally have nothing to do with art

If you actually think that context is the only thing that matters in art, you're the one who doesn't know anything about art
The album contains no particularly interesting vocal melodies or memorable guitar parts
The lyrics are good but that's about it, people will absolutely forget about this album because an album actually has to have great songs to be great. Context elevates it, and is important, but context and emotional effectiveness alone are not enough to make a piece of art great