Jesus christ almighty this band is shit

jesus christ almighty this band is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2TBbj5_zA-8
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0-67uj1b8
archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJ3bCE0Ibs
pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10078-the-grateful-dead-a-guide-to-their-essential-live-songs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You have shit taste

t. hippie

>a top 5 American band is 'shit'

t. drumpf supporter

nah

I disagree my friend

I actually voted for Bernie

this music is doodoo user

People who like them, where does one begin to get into Grateful Dead?

Dude mad hippies voted for Trump.

They're not kids who are susceptible to brainwashing.

Hard to say. Maybe one of the studio albums like American Beauty, Terrapin Station or Workingman's Dead?

I started with American Beauty, Blues for Allah, Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel
then go anywhere you want to, those are the best studio albums though

I only like them because I play the guitar, I wouldn't like them if I didn't play

What a moronic tautology. baka

Also check out these covers

youtube.com/watch?v=2TBbj5_zA-8
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0-67uj1b8

Tight, I'll give these a shot. Thanks dudes.

What are the other 4, gramps?

Idk. Let's see

>VU
>Royal Trux
>CCR
>Fugazi

????

listen to a live show. Live/Dead is good starting point as a live album. This show is also pretty well regarded. archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

jesus christ almighty this OP is shit

LSD

Patrician answer

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJ3bCE0Ibs

Workingman's Dead for me, but American Beauty is their 'best' if you had to choose based on critical reception.

Also listening to GD is great when high and/or chilling with frens

I'm not even counting that Cale was Welsh.

I caught the new GD movie in theatres last week. Long Strange Trip is the name. It was a great experience. Would recommend

fuck yeah this live album is good as fuck

It kind of depends what you want. My personal favorite, and the first album I started with is Live/Dead. It's at the height of their psychedelic era, but I'd stay away from it if you're not into long pieces.

My next favorite is the studio album Anthem Of The Sun, this album has some pretty long songs on it too, but it has a very different vibe from Live/Dead, with some countryish sounds going on, which became more prominent later on.

Next is Europe '72, also live, kind of the perfect meeting point for live and studio because it still has the Dead at the top of their game performing live, but the songs are at manageable length. There's so much to this album, I'd be surprised if you didn't like at least ONE song off it.

Another album to check if you're into psychedelia is definitely Aoxomoxoa. It's easily their most experimental record and it has great, catchy songs on it. Anthem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa and Live/Dead are the holy trinity of Psych for the Dead, and they're also perfect summer albums. Definitely check this one out.

Finally the generic answer, American Beauty, but this isn't really an accurate representation of their sound as a whole, because the only two albums that had this sound were American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. They're both great albums, but not really a fantastic starting point, because it may sour you on them completely if you go into it expecting this sound from every record.

Overall the idea of the dead is to expect the unexpected, every performance is different, and every album has a different sound. Don't give up after one album, stick with it, because finding something you like is the key to understanding the thread that is present through the rest of their works.

damn hell of an answer

thanks my guy. thanks for all the tips everyone else too.

the Dead had a fuckton of obsessive fans and taping was encouraged so there is an absurd amount of Dead material from the thirty years they toured. P4k actually just put out a pretty good list of performances of specific songs to check out. pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10078-the-grateful-dead-a-guide-to-their-essential-live-songs/
I wouldn't call this a starting point by any means, but it's a fun time.

Studio albums are a good way to get an overall impression of their catalog, but you should really jump into live recordings as soon as possible. Their albums are fine, but live improvisation is why they're legendary.
I recommend Veneta 8/27/72 or Cornell 5/8/77 to start, both have official releases and are considered among the greatest shows of all time. If you like what you hear, there are a ton of shows released officially as part of the "Dick's Picks" series, or you can use archive.org to find recordings of almost any show in history. There are plenty of places you can find discussion on which shows are the best, I can give some pointers if you're interested.

These bros are both on point.