Is there any difference between k-pop and j-pop music wise? (besides the language of lyrics obviously)

is there any difference between k-pop and j-pop music wise? (besides the language of lyrics obviously)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LY25vVPCKr8
youtu.be/QtPx6WdNM30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

serious answer here.
yes.
the sound is very different, also there's more good japanese pop or music in general rather than korean or kpop music.
but the girls in kpop are cuter

heres some good kpop
youtube.com/watch?v=LY25vVPCKr8

The difference is that most Japanese girls don't look like frogs.

j-pop is much broader.

why dont you actually go and listen to both yourself?

>durr i dont listen to shitty music

then why would knowing the difference even matter, you sperglord

In terms of popularity, Jpop is pretty much dead and you are better off looking into non-pop music when it comes to Japan.

Kpop production values have improved pretty recently and there is a now a divergence in their own genre. 5-10 years ago it mostly just sounded like someone took Wpop and brought girl and boy groups back to life. Nowadays plenty of kpop still feels that way, but there is that divergence where some tracks or groups are trying fuller styles, and they are willing to try to incorporate more genres in general.

Most jpop I've heard pushes towards high paced (often rock) and high pitched vocals. There are some kpop groups doing this as well, too.

jpop is complete dogshit and there's a reason no one outside japan wastes their time on it
kpop is just western music with gook lyrics, jpop is a literal mob of twelve year olds with shitty teeth yelling in unison to kidz bop songs

Not even remotely similar, Kpop is much closer to western pop than Jpop.

Underground/alternative idol music is the new cool thing in Japan, though. Most of it subverts the conventions of the idol industry by using ugly girls who can't sing so it results in some weird shit.
Tentenko is legitimately the most exciting musician of our time, too.

j-pop has a lot of nice harmony it reminds me of the use of chord substitutions in Jazz. other than that i know almost nothing about j-pop. k-pop has always just sounded like shit to me though.

jpop: outdated edm/pop music with cutsy voices
kpop: trendy americanstyle with gook lyrics with random english thrown in

>In terms of popularity, Jpop is pretty much dead
What did you mean by this? Jpop is the most popular music there, it's literally in the name, but it's so wide encompassing it can be Kyary, Perfume, AKB48, or alt-idol like said.

Vocally I won't argue with you but musically it's probably more varied and complex than the rest of the world's pop. It's funny though because when it comes to people's limited exposure to jpop the vocals are all they hear/pay attention to.

>>In terms of popularity, Jpop is pretty much dead
compared to kpop its hanging by a thread

the kpop I heard regularly has "edm" in it and japanese music in general also has random english

Worldwide? Yea, Kpop is a lot more popular but I thought you were talking about domestically. But it's still not dead. Still very much popular in Asia and never was popular in the west. Don't tell me that kpop is though.

Who's Kpop equivalent to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu anyway?

no one, kpop is a shitfest when it comes to popularity among idols and groups.

Fuck, I meant in sound. Production-wise.

I wouldn't say more varied or complex, I would say weird. It has a tendency to have strange experimental sounds, lo-fi quality, and noise. I am not sure calling that complex and varied is fair. I don't like the more standard pop-rock grating vocals style. As for the weirder stuff, it would have to be taken on a case-by-case basis but it often shares those negative traits it seems to me. Also we are sort of talking about different things here, Kpop usually refers to popular music that charts, not music that is considered pop in genre/sound.

Personally when I think of Japanese music I think of the math/jazzy-post rock scene, the Nujabes-style movement, and to a lesser extent the Kashiwa/World's End Girlfriend glitch.

I am pretty sure that would just flop hard.

I actually have no idea, kyary's music is pretty different.

youtu.be/QtPx6WdNM30

Perfume I think is something that the Jpop scene has something to be proud of.

lee jung hyun

>tfw no cute korean idol that sounds like Kyary

And Utada Hikaru. I think Jpop is far less palatable to the average person, and western/kpop plays it as safe as possible. It's just way more different. Even AKB shit is much different. Listen to Koi suru Fortune Cookie. That is not standard pop.

K-pop is more like north american top 40. It's really unashamed to borrow from American and even Canadian musicians. Whereas J-pop does take some influence from music from other Asian countries but hardly any from the west, or when it does it's after a significant amount of time has passed.

The lyrical content is also different, along with the vocal delivery. J-pop tends to be more esoteric and navel gazing while k-pop tends to be more focused on the social aspects of the music, like braggadocios rap (some k-pop literally is braggadocios rap, but in korean) and a lot of it is about how women and men should "ideally" act in relationships and different ways of approaching relationships. Again, it's more like western top 40

The biggest thing k-pop and j-pop have in common is pandering to their audiences and giving them everything they want while doing their best not to be tasteless. And choreographed dancing

>but hardly any from the west
Today maayybe, but it is on a western foundation, but very japanese. I agree with everything else though.

Funny thing is now that I think about it I think modern Jpop borrows the least from the west than any other major Japanese genre.

That's pretty neat, but frankly I am pretty deaf when it comes to chords and tend not to notice such things. For instance, if I heard a Rhodes keyboard playing, I wouldn't be able to identify whether the chords being played are clustered with seconds like you might hear in R&B or are just more standard jazz extended chords.

For me, the link you provided sounds lengthy to me not not much else. I know Japan also has their traditional pentatonic scales, but I am not sure how widely they are used now.

As a result, I almost entirely look to other qualities in music, such as the variety of sound/genre or structure on a much broader level, memorable quips and details, and full clear mixes with instruments you can clearly hear going on - if a track is cleanly mixed then they need to fill it with instruments for it not to sound empty. This is part of much what I meant with kpop's recent (partial) divergence in sound, because wpop refuses to do this and it fucks me off. They get better production techniques over time and don't do jackshit with them it feels like.

the weirdest thing about western pop is how minimalist and restrained it is considering the attitude it puts off. you would think writers with this much confidence in themselves, almost too much confidence, wouldn't have a less is more attitude but they do, almost to a fault

j-Pop has been more globally influenced than it's counter-part

try a Chinese version thread, it's very difficult