Look up favorite musician's social media account

>look up favorite musician's social media account
>apparently he's a fucking retard in real life
Was social media a mistake?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/7220106
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why do you assume good artist = good person?

It has definitely ruined any sense of mystique surrounding an artist, which to me, is vastly important. The less I know about the artist, the better.

Of course, if you're a rapper or pop star a good social media presence can be supplemental to your success. Being a confident, business-savvy, funny type of guy works in certain cases.

I guess different flavors for different people. I personally think mystique can lend itself greatly to an artist's legacy.

>I personally think mystique can lend itself greatly to an artist's legacy.
tell that to thousands of undiscovered artists

Social media sort of amplifies the most negative aspects of people's personalities because it invites them to be narcissistic and complain about things, I realised recently I come off very dickish on Twitter just because I usually only tweet about (usually minor) things that annoy mr, or try to be funny. (Most) people aren't like that irl

I've had to unfollow Robert Webb and Graham Linehan for being pricks on social media, but they seem amicable enough in interviews which is as close to irl as you'll see them

Go look at mine. I'm just as trippy in real life

@krishnaistheone

Ha

>Not knowing the difference between mystique and being a nobody

No Internet presence works for already successful and widely known artists, but how would someone make his name known in this day and age if not through the Internet?

EV-REY STAR EV-RY MOON

>Not knowing the difference between mystique and being a nobody
again the mystique is played out. no kids want it. mac demarco owes his success for being as transparent as possible. maybe in the electronic scene it still stands. but everything else nope.
father john misty talked about this. when he was josh tillman. nobody cared

Through local buzz and growing from there. What a lot of people don't realize is internet fame doesn't always apply to real life. A person could have 50K twitter followers and not sell a show.

You also have the problem of FAKE followers, fake views, etc. This creates the illusion of popularity but doesn't mean you'll attract any audiences in real life.

I think building buzz outside of the internet is definitely a lost art. Don't get me wrong, use it as a tool, but don't assume your social media popularity = real life popularity automatically.

And I don't mean you CAN'T have social media. Look at Death Grips. They use it but still have an element of mystery around them.

>They use it but still have an element of mystery around them.
again not really. zach hill wasn't some unknown. they interacted with their audience with arg's and don't forget signing to EPIC records. everything else was due to their autistic fan base doing the rest. looking for something that didn't exist.

>Mystique is played out

I said it depends, I think it's cool.

>Mac Demarco owes his success for being as transparent as possible

Not necessarily. He owes his success to his chill music first. Accessible enough for normies but weird enough for some indie cred. Couple that with the fact that Mac is an extremely likable dude and then it adds up. Not everyone can be a Mac Demarco. He's naturally charismatic and down-to-earth seeming.

I watched some Grimes interviews and she just seemed autistic. (Sorry GIDF). Her music lost a bit of luster because she's kind of a pleb weirdo.

Holy fuck you guys are so dense

AGAIN

Mystique =/= being a nobody

Led Zeppelin had an aura of mystique around them, Prince had an aura of mystique around him, etc.

Yeah but Zach Hill is just 1 member. Very little is known about Andy or Stefan, and obviously their music is intentionally cryptic which adds to their mystique.

Exactly, thanks user.

>Very little is known about Andy or Stefan
are you kidding me?
this board found out everything about them. during the dg autism days

All I know is that Stefan paints and used to deliver pizzas, which doesn't do much for me

Don't know anything about Andy

>which doesn't do much for me
how so? hes just a normal guy like you and I. besides his bad relationship with his dad

>look up musician on twitter
>OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE ZLORMPF IS sdhjfoashgiojhsadoi

Every fucking time

What is this post trying to say exactly user

i don't know if we'll ever know who Dean Blunt really is

apparently his real name is Roy Nnawuchi and listened to his parents Steely Dan and Stevie Nicks records growing up, other than that I have no idea

That many musicians these days use twitter as a soapbox for their trite generic liberal politics.

i actually know a guy who knew him.

really? did he say how he met him? has he told any stories, or were they just acquaintances?

Yes, social media is a fucking gigantic mistake. People think their opinions are cared for now. Literally no one cares, it's all virtue signaling. It's detrimental to the progression of society.

This unironically

acquaintances. but he said roy was part of some "underground" uk/berlin art scene with other people. inga had most of the connections but roy had the talent and did 90% of the music for hw. nobody still knows what encouraged his change post break up to where he is now.
said hes a really open minded when it comes to music. but dislikes majority of people in the industry.
old vid vimeo.com/7220106

also majority of songs in his solo career up until redeemer. where inga's songs that he stole from her lol.

Interesting about the art scene, I didn't really know they were associated with Berlin in any way.

my theory regarding Babyfather/other new stuff is that he's really interested in black nationalism and black identity (he apparently supports the effort to lift the ban on Louis Farrakan from the UK, as well as the newest release being called "Hotep", for example) and so hip-hop is a useful vehicle for exploring those issues, like what it means to be black or how the black community ought to view itself. But that's just my amateur take on it.

thanks for the link btw

>look up Sunn O)))s social media account
>apparently he's a nice dude that loves hanging around in japan

really makes you think

this

I used to listen to Hopsin, but when I saw him posting one inane picture on Twitter I couldn't do it anymore. Shame really, only Kendrick Lamar's work is more meaningful.

Basinski?

>read about favorite musicians
>most of them are dumb commies shilling for big government and sharia law

Why does it have to be like this?

>look up musician
>he has great taste in art (outside of music)
>he is eloquent and interesting
>he becomes my father figure and I read the books and watch the films he recommends
>I metamorphose, transitioning from a simple fan of his primary band into a reverential cultist that sends him money every month

Who is it user?

M. Gira

>think Phil Elverum is a wood dwelling hermit
>find this instead

>look up hated musician's social media account
>apparently he's a fucking genius in real life
Social media was a mistake.

This is why I avoid knowing anything about the artist when I'm listening to music. Unless it requires context.