Grimes General

grimes is the best shit ever if you disagree you're a narcissistic piece of shit that should die in a hole

Other urls found in this thread:

tktk.gawker.com/pitchfork-deletes-its-harshest-critic-1736804618
youtu.be/G91N7M6_wv4
grimesmusic.com/info/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cancer.Jpg
On another note where is this pic from

this is now ylyl thread

I love Claire Elise Boucher.

edgy starting post. be chill.

grimes is awesome, there's no doubt about that.

her music is unremarkable pop. i don't give a shit if she's completely self produced. millions of musicians do that, and it doesn't bear any influence on the quality of the work. it just isn't special enough to warrant the ceaseless devoted worship that it garners on this board.

also, grimesfags are mentally unstable (to say the least)

inb4
>b-but critics like it
music publications jumped train because they have to be on the cutting edge and she has a trendy, marketable image. they knew there was money there. end of story.

grimes is pretty

hello again

sup

>her music is unremarkable pop.
wrong opinion. if people talk so much about her and her music and critics praise her, maybe, just maybe, her music is truly remarkable.

>i don't give a shit if she's completely self produced. millions of musicians do that, and it doesn't bear any influence on the quality of the work.
millions of musicians do that but with what results? 100 plays on soundcloud? name one similar artist with her level of fame that does everything on their own (even directing and editing the videos). go ahead.

here's the deal: if you don't see anything special about her, it doesn't mean others do the same. your opinion is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

>music publications jumped train because they have to be on the cutting edge and she has a trendy, marketable image. they knew there was money there. end of story.
she has a trendy, marketable image but not trendy, marketable music? you forgot that people are listening to music with their ears, not eyes. no matter how cute she is, without her great music she would just another cute girl among millions of cute girls. her great music separates her from the rest. i will add also her personality, which makes her really relatable.

so, spare me of this image bullshit. just a good image can't give you a lengthy career, loyal fans and critical praise.

>wrong opinion
ha
>if people talk so much about her and her music and critics praise her, maybe, just maybe, her music is truly remarkable.
this isn't just about her music. there are a ton of other factors that contribute to her popularity. She's a model, there are actually like millions of photos of her floating around the internet, she has a memorable visual style, she's vocally opinionated on social media, she worked with a couple different PR agencies, she's acted in commercials etc. she has created an interesting public persona. fame is all about working the system and she knows how to do that. the fact that she's famous hardly has anything to do with her music.

it's like chris ott said:

"Honestly Grimes is the most overrated, over-reported musical act of this decade. I love a few of her songs and she is clearly Rated just right as a fashion model and youth celebrity, but as a musician, she doesn't deserve the place she's in. There's not enough to warrant it on a musical basis, it's all "X Factor." And that's fine, but I would rather see music media focus on music and she can be a YouTube star like Rosanna Pansino. There's plenty of room to talk about her fabulous clothing and visual aesthetic. I don't know if I could talk about her music for five minutes."

>name one similar artist with her level of fame that does everything on their own
fame has nothing to do with this. see above

>her music is unremarkable pop
any album that sounds like halfaxa?
any album that sounds like art angels?

yes

>the fact that she's famous hardly has anything to do with her music.
absolutely false. those extra things are ON TOP of her great music. without her music, she would be just another model/celebrity/socialite/whatever. do you understand this? you can't have such acclaim in music without actual... great music. the reviewers don't review her look but her work, which is music. facts are facts, bruh. accept that she's rightfully acclaimed even if you dislike her music.

>chris ott
you posted this prick before. i know you. ever heard of this tktk.gawker.com/pitchfork-deletes-its-harshest-critic-1736804618 ?

>Ott is a notorious crank who uses his Twitter feed to decry the commodification of the independent arts. At his best he can be a necessary check on the capitalist impulses of the music industry and the publications that cover it. At his worst he can be a straight-up asshole who uses his modest platform to hammer away at personal grudges, many of which seem to end up involving women who make and/or write about indie rock. To some he is an anti-hero, to others he is simply a verbal harasser.

>The ramifications of Pitchfork pressing the red button are myriad. On the one hand, it is a quietly hilarious middle finger to an unapologetic bully who probably knows he deserved some sort of retaliation. On the other hand, it raises questions about who controls internet-native writing and what those people choose to do with that power.

his opinions are completely irrelevant. don't support this hack. try again.

I always thought she sounded like Madonna or Donna Summer or any 80's singer
Her music just sounds like the music the 80's producers made for the singers

you blocked his brain. i doubt he could name even one similar album. what he can do easily is bullshitting while having zero evidence.

any album?

She's nothing special. Nearly all the music I listen to is self-produced, she just happens to pander to a very needy audience.

>She's nothing special

I don't know any 80's pop albums off the top of my head with female singers to be honest
I just know styles from songs I've heard and lets be honest grimes albums might as well just be called compilations

Protip: if you're on a Norwegian waterpolo board, you're also mentally unstable

>name one similar artist with her level of fame that does everything on their own
>fame has nothing to do with this. see above
strawman. you didn't answer my question. fame has to do with this because believe it or not, all popstars rely on other people to do their music (even bjork). grimes is that rare case of a popstar that does everything on her own. a complete artist. this is not a common thing. if you disagree, better prove me wrong with actual examples.

this. if she's nothing special, then other grimeses should be common. where are they?

>those extra things are ON TOP of her great music
i'm not saying her music is irrelevant. she obviously needs a primary means of reaching people. all i'm saying is that there are many other factors which reinforce her public persona, and her fame is not a direct result of her making the music that she does.

>citing a gawker article about ott
you realize they just got sued to oblivion right? punitive damages for libel. are you actually posting a tabloid gossip article to try to discredit someone?

Go listen to Japanese synth-pop and R&B from the 80's.

meant to quote

>Nearly all the music I listen to is self-produced
wait a minute dude: we're talking about pop music. show me self-produced, self-sound engineered pop music. preferably by a female artist.

I don't listen to pop music.

vague. post actual examples and next to them the similar grimes songs. let's see the similarity.

your point is invalid then. grimes is a popstar, judge her based on her genre/category. if you don't listen to pop music i highly doubt you're qualified to talk shit about her music.

I listen to a lot of the genres she takes influence from, so I think I can have some say on the quality of her music.

>still not naming anything on the point

>grimes albums might as well just be called compilations
and how are they unremarkable/nothing special?
on each album she bends different styles of music, yet she keeps them in the same inner sonical aestetic

>you didn't answer my question
i didn't have to answer your question because i provided an entire argument proving that you're question was irrelevant to our discussion. that's not a strawman.

>fame has to do with this because believe it or not, all popstars rely on other people to do their music (even bjork). grimes is that rare case of a popstar that does everything on her own. a complete artist. this is not a common thing.
okay user. so this is what you're saying.
>she's special because she can do other non-musical stuff

believe it or not, that's my point exactly. looks like we're on the same page after all

>you realize they just got sued to oblivion right? punitive damages for libel. are you actually posting a tabloid gossip article to try to discredit someone?
give me a break, ott. that article is based on actual facts. there's smoke so there must be fire somewhere. ott has a well established reputation of an annoying critic that is more interested in pushing his agenda than to be impartial. basically he's unreliable.

whatever. it's just your opinion. anyone has one. but don't expect to agree with it. believe whatever you want to believe.

dude what you're asking for is an exact replica of a grimes song. that doesn't exist.

but this isn't unique for grimes' music. no music sounds exactly like other music. people typically tend to avoid copying someone else's songs exactly unless they're playing a cover.

calm down with the impossible expectations and try taking that user's advice. if you aren't completely deafened by your bias, then you should be able to hear lots of similarities

>more interested in pushing his agenda than to be impartial
is this a joke? do you know what a critic is user? their entire job is to push their agenda. they are paid to give their opinions. if a critic tried to be impartial they would lose their job.

>she's special because she can do other non-musical stuff
>believe it or not, that's my point exactly. looks like we're on the same page after all
we're not on the same page because you insist that her extra stuff is what makes her special. i have bad news to you: it's music. appearance. personality. her music is the main dish, not the footnote.

>dude what you're asking for is an exact replica of a grimes song. that doesn't exist.
exact replica =/= similar. give me a similar song and we're talking. if she's that unremarkable it should be very easy to find similar artists.

youtu.be/G91N7M6_wv4

>dude what you're asking for is an exact replica of a grimes song
no, it was 'any album that sounds like' it's kind of weird when someone says 'X is nothing special' yet can't name anything similar, seems like a bait

>no music sounds exactly like other music
>if you aren't completely deafened by your bias, then you should be able to hear lots of similarities
you just described all the music that was ever made by people

similar to which grimes song?

shes remarkable because others have done what she does just on a much larger scale like any other artist that pulls from other genres
the reason shes remarkable is because nobody has ever done such a mediocre job at it
no i cannot find anything like her music because nothing is as shit
>inb4 goalposts or whatever the fuck
consider maybe this is my first post?

Why did you pick this ugly tranny from all the pop divas for hipsters? I know you need to make up a reason for your miserable life but can't you at least pick something decent?

>her music is the main dish, not the footnote.
you have no way of proving this. similarly, i have no way of proving otherwise. but as someone who majored in communications, media studies and public relations, i've studied so many similar cases. so i can at least say anecdotally that her fame should be attributed to a smart and tactile PR campaign.

>inb4 appeal to authority
there isn't much of an argument here anymore. you think she's famous because of her music. i think she's famous because she played the system. neither of us can objectively say shit. gg

>the reason shes remarkable is because nobody has ever done such a mediocre job at it
>defying the common sense laws
lmao! are you serious? what has to do the concept of being remarkable with mediocrity?

>mediocre
>shit
that's just your opinion

>you have no way of proving this.
she's a musician, dude. a musician by definition makes music. what more do you want? why are you such a contrarian for the sake of it?

>smart and tactile PR campaign
btw she's an indie musician. if you expect her to own big marketing budgets you're very delusional. her music barely charted and she's almost absent from the radio stations. her main marketing was done by her fans through word of mouth. 3 letters: diy.

>she's a musician
you're right. she is. what i'm saying is people may know her as a musician, but they don't know her BECAUSE she's a musician.

no it wasnt, roc nation (jay-z's illuminati management company) did. Shes a sell-out hypocrite who can go fuck herself

Anddddddddddddddddd we're back. Ah... lemme just settle into my chair and grab some popcorn and cool. This is a grimes thread.

so are those the people who fucking shill here?

Like what... show us your waifu senpai, so we may see what true beauty is like... lol.

I don't remember her having all this when Visions got released. It was just as hyped as Art Angels if not more, so the point stands.

see pic related.

grimesmusic.com/info/

These threads belong in the /trash/

Not him, but

What's so special about your waifu senpai?

idc what you do or don't remember in your skewed version of reality user.
the point is that she currently has 4 different PR agencies shilling her. fame is obviously something that she has taken a tactical approach to.

me·di·o·cre
ˌmēdēˈōkər/Submit
adjective
of only moderate quality; not very good.
"a mediocre actor"

re·mark·a·ble
rəˈmärkəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
worthy of attention; striking.
"a remarkable coincidence"

its remarkable how mediocre she is

agreed.

oh look, a dumbass grimesfag doesnt even know what remarkable means color me surprised

>so are those the people who fucking shill here?
probably

Ive never listened to Grimes, where do I start? Wanna form my opinions on her music and dont wanna start on the wrong foot

>inb4 don't

lets doxx them or something, make them fuck off for good
fuck off

I think that she's gorgeous and that she makes great music.

don't

Depends. Are you into mainstream stuff? Go with Art Angels first. If you're into indie/experimental, go the other end and start with Darkblooms and work your way up.

I personally worked my way backwards in her discography from Art Angels.

Can YOU fuck off. There's no need to doxx anyone. If you don't want to talk about grimes, go talk about some other musician in /Mu. If you can't find one, then go into a diff. thread. Maybe random for example. Or toys is cool. Or hell, retro video games is pretty neat. Anything but bitch and whine.

hey look the shills are scared they're gonna be outed lol, nice

Same. I just try to tone down my admiration a bit so I don't end up getting sucked into the void where I'm pining for her and she can't reciprocate.

this post does sound weirdly defensive..

Hey man, if you know where I can get paid to be her fan please direct me to that source. Otherwise kindly leave. MMmmmkkay pumpkin?

You know why? Because I think it's retarded that someone jumps to doxxing because they don't agree with what's being posted on /mu. I mean how fucking childish are you?

thanks user, ive been told art angels is the most accessible so ill listen to that first

if you dont like grimes / arent trying to get into grimes / jerking off over pictures of grimes then why are you even here? its just kind of sad

hurr durr maybe they'll believe me if im IRONIC xD

RIP Grimesfags.

thats implying their was any legit fans of her (which their isn't)

Hurr durr... oh boy we've got a badass over here. Look out everyone. He's pulling out the big guns.

Look out boys, it's the rocket surgeon we've all been waiting for. We were warned about you, as it was foretold in the grimes prophecy. That a witty, witty man would come through the hordes of haters and present himself to us.

epic fucking 9gag memes and irony, the only thing a middle aged hipster trust-fund fuck like you can even do

>but they don't know her BECAUSE she's a musician
huh? the first thing they hear about grimes is that she makes music. it's damn obvious. her main job is being a musician, plain and simple. stop being so contrarian.

Oh, you're so edgy. Look at you all tough on the computer like a big boy. Oh this is so exciting, let me get the camera.

*strums one note on her guitar at a time throughout the entirety of art angels"

i see just a handful of people. a small team is a very normal thing for an artist of her level. what's your point?

now explain to me how being mediocre is worthy of attention aka remarkable. are you a dumbass?

its entirely possible that someone can be so mediocre its remarkable, what do you mean

read this you stupid fuck

LOL You know what's funny, is I had a guitar for a few years. Tried to learn how to play it all the time just couldn't get better because I truly wasn't very good at it.

Guitar ain't exactly easy to master. Some have a gift for it. Others... not so much.

I wouldn't judge her solely on the basis of her ability to play an instrument. There are plenty of extremely talented people who can fucking shred a guitar who don't end up amounting to much, unfortunately.

you've got nothing. you fucking retard.

haha

did i hit a nerve, shill?

グライムス?

Well clearly you are in the minority senpai. She has been recognized by the media at large and has fans in the millions around the world. If we're all delusional, like you say, she must have stole Steve Jobs' Reality Distrotion Ray Gun.

I doubt it though. And I mean hey, if you don't like her, you don't like her. You don't HAVE to like her or her music. I would advise you to go into another thread instead of wasting your time in here.

whatever you do, don't miss her album visions. it's her masterpiece imo.

>There are plenty of extremely talented people who can fucking shred a guitar who don't end up amounting to much, unfortunately.

yeah because the music industry cares more about money than talent, its a dead artform

Listen, you're very clearly too strong for us tiny grimes plebs. So why don't you, I don't know, go godzilla yourself another city? Maybe leave us this one so we can play in it?

Guitar really isn't hard user.
My complaint is more about how she could have played her 1 note with a more interesting timbre then standard overdriven e-guitar sound. She clearly has no clue what the fuck she's doing on the instrument. Literally all her guitar playing on the album is monophonic. Why use a guitar then instead of a synth with some interesting sound? I'm pretty sure the album would be way better if the guitar was completely replaced by saw waves