youtube.com/watch?v=fe4EK4HSPkI
youtube.com/watch?v=Lm39YkGrHp8
youtube.com/watch?v=7GAvphgb0TU
mega.co.nz/#!Ktwi2AaK!JmlaMUFpswxc3Ri0dNNnzXdWMbUMR5txaoLJDyvS4yw
youtube.com/watch?v=PW2TM0E52qM
youtube.com/watch?v=DgQuVeMOyAk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Literally none.

There are some albums which feel as big in scope, I guess, but nothing that sounds like this.

Obvious suggestion is Stormcock by Roy Harper, which was one of the direct influences for this album.

definitley check this one out OP, great record
maybe try Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom. Not super similar but you will enjoy it

Nina Nastasia if you want more of that Albini sound.

>Albini sound

Albini doesn't have a sound, he just records and does basic mixing. He's not a producer.
He only recorded the harp and vocals on this album anyway.

Have One On Me

I can tell you were part of that Albini thread that was arguing about engineer vs producer.

Sounds nothing like Ys but I'm liking it a lot

There's nothing else like Ys

Only suggestions I can give you would be Stormcock like the other user said and Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks

I've never listened to Newsom.
Should I just hop onto YS or listen to something else first?

Ys is her best starting point. Every song on it is great.

It's by far her least accessible album and imo not a good place to start.

I would start with either HOOM or MEM.

I rec starting with Ys. It may be less accessible but if you have experience with long winding music and aren't new to music you should have no problem

Just go chronologically, to see the evolution

Kate Bush sometimes sounds similar
youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

It's very easy to tell when an album is recorded by him. The only guy who comes close to his sound is Bob Weston.

Her voice is sometimes similar, but the songwriting of Newsom blows Bush far, far out of the water.

First album is shit.

Wouldn't recommend that.

Your taste is shit

Ys>MEM>HOOM>Divers

all great though

noob

Am I on Sup Forums circa 2008?

>ywn be as good as her
why live?

lol I made that gif like 5 years ago

I also made that butt gif that everyone posts

these are my life's accomplishments

Why are we alive? Just to suffer?

Has she ever done any acting? She's got some great expressions.

She was recently in Inherent Vice (which she also narrated if I remember right). She was also in portlandia

She played the mom in the MGMT's video for Kids

youtube.com/watch?v=fe4EK4HSPkI

DAMN, JOANNA NEWSOM LOOKS LIKE *THAT*??

Can't believe Adam Sandler gets to pork that every night and then get serenaded by her buttlifting harp performance.

>based on a Pynchon novel
>directed by PTA
>narrated by Joanna Newsom
>scored by Jonny Greenwood
Most patrician film of the decade?

where you been

>Adam Sandler
Andy Samberg. Even worse.

this. If you like Ys than HOoM will change your life

I tried to read the book a while ago but i got bored. Should i give it another try or should i just see the movie

Vashti Bunyan maybe? Not overwhelmingly similar, but she has a similar voice in the upper parts of her range.

Pynchon is a /lit/ meme.

what a fucking dumbass

fucking pseud

Both. Movie and book are fantastic in my opinion.

Pynchon is infamous for writing fantastically cryptic and dense historical metafiction novels (some of which are considered the twentieth century ever produced) and then also writing shit off-season novels for no reason. His best are Gravity's Rainbow, Against the Day, Mason & Dixon, V, and his shitty meme books are Inherent Vice, Bleeding Edge, and Vineland

I thought the movie was pretty average, I haven't read it, but I feel like it would work better as a novel

*considered the greatest
tl;dr ignore the book see the movie tee bee haych fàm

Joanna Newsom always reminded me of Joni Mitchell, although not so much in Ys as in Have One on Me

youtube.com/watch?v=Lm39YkGrHp8

Greatest ass in music

Yes it's pretty fantastic

Try it again. Maybe read Crying of Lot 49 to get used to the style first. The movie will also let you understand the basic (read: lack of)plot and lift the books a bit

>Pincone
>lack of plots

Confirmed for not having read Pinocchio, the whole point about his novels is that there are so much fucking different plots going on, intertwined with each other that this is why you can't know what is going on.

start with hoom or divers. Ys or mem are both almost grating on first listen

Start with the greeks

I love Joanna but seriously fuck her for not being on spotify

It's a lot easier to describe Pynchon to plebs as not having a plot to make it easier for them to just take the book as it is rather than complaining about it being "weird" or "boring" or whatever the fuck

Her interview about spotify is actually really neato, as is her view of it being a personification of evil. I am disappointed her music isn't available to buy through Google play, I pirated it because of that

It's her label Drag City that keeps their artists off of spotify anyways, it's not necessarily her own decision.

that description makes her seem way more kooky than she is, so here's what I assume you're referring to for people to see for themselves

youtube.com/watch?v=7GAvphgb0TU

How in the world has this not been recommended yet?
Captcha: Free Bicherias

lolol

lolol

wow, i have this disc...it's really good & i'm mostly a rock guy

this is literally the 1st post i've seen of this album in nearly a decade

Yeah she's severely underrated here

I've never heard of this chick before, but I'm really enjoying this so far. Thanks m8.

She was on a label called "Grass Roots Records"
I'm pretty sure it went under in a few years.. but most of the albums they put out were quality

Yeah I was afraid it might be too inaccessible for me. Thanks anons.

anyone got a link to a download of this album? been looking through the archives but can't find a solid link

mega.co.nz/#!Ktwi2AaK!JmlaMUFpswxc3Ri0dNNnzXdWMbUMR5txaoLJDyvS4yw

I don't know how you're browsing the archive but this is like the 4th result for "newsom ys mega".
There's pretty much always links for albums which are popular here, even though now there's a gap between like 2014 and 2017

thanks, just recently decided to check out the archive, must not have been looking well enough

This

Kek

What do you mean by scored?

exxtraa thicccc

>that thicc + dfc combo

Try some Josephine Foster. Not the exactly same but you might like her.
youtube.com/watch?v=PW2TM0E52qM
This is from an EP that you can find in the archives.

This is by far my favorite album and there's nothing that comes close. I actually wonder if it's a good or a bad thing

start with the first album like you would any artist

but first the greeks

I get Incredible String Band vibes from Ys but it might just be me.

youtube.com/watch?v=DgQuVeMOyAk

>they are both from nevada city

Interesting, considering how small it is.