Tell me about Japanese music

Tell me about Japanese music.

About all I got to go on is some jazz and Dir en Grey.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dabjI3LRkkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kf0HYeQp760
youtube.com/watch?v=HV_oHmW0rKU
youtube.com/watch?v=ixd7QTD_2PU
pastebin.com/Cca07HuB
youtube.com/watch?v=GvDvstgoqbI
youtube.com/watch?v=P2rtqVma_Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=U3yUuE2x1fs
youtube.com/watch?v=uBzUfjkdPq4
youtube.com/watch?v=aF5PuALlhUI
youtube.com/watch?v=rE0UDfM-vm4
youtube.com/watch?v=M8aF1i864zk
youtube.com/watch?v=vC2vqPHUw7s
youtube.com/watch?v=dN22zS9fLQM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uePXqPyROQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4lIj6opiVNw
youtube.com/watch?v=dRrt5qmo0hg
youtube.com/watch?v=5DoT0_hGP9o
youtube.com/watch?v=4d6k0tHIvyw
youtu.be/p1l73gJNU4A
youtu.be/z3LEjF6jbBY
youtu.be/n7rfYjgPRiM
youtu.be/MSEw6Zg8BME
youtube.com/watch?v=xgMD6efugcU
youtube.com/watch?v=GTjFPgyLxAc
youtube.com/watch?v=H-rQS-534wo
youtube.com/watch?v=fAHzuXt4nBw
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TxXKNZGss&t=258s
youtube.com/watch?v=kvExQZTtL-o
youtube.com/watch?v=B8j5Kn0og4E
youtube.com/watch?v=hhetXL7KmZA
youtube.com/watch?v=EZDhZJkqh8I
youtube.com/watch?v=DvDuH4tEwgk
youtube.com/watch?v=tcq2QmpxmSs
youtube.com/watch?v=t3r1NZAJlpY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*mostly* shite that people think is really good simply because it has that exotic Japonais finish to it and for some reason people completely sperg out at that point and can't judge the art irrespective of that. There are people all over the world doing the same shit and yet no one cares.

>In 2004, he earned a doctorate in music therapy.[1]

I love me some japanese weird vision. It's different in a lot of ways yet I can't exactly wrap my head around what makes it weird other than "it's Japan". Here's a small list of my favorites. One album per artist but pretty much everything from them is fucking amazing. So here goes:
Kashiwa Daisuke - Program music (neoclassical with avant-garde-ish touches)
World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland (post-rock, electronic, neoclassical)
X Japan - Art of Life (power\prog metal)
Rin Toshite Shigure - Inspiration is Dead (post-hardcore)
Sigh - Imaginary Soniscape (avant-garde black metal)
Boris - Flood (drone, sludge)
Mono\World's End Girlfriend - Palmless prayer/mass murder refrain (post-rock, neoclassical) Don't really dig Mono though, kinda generic, but split with WEG is phenomenal
Envy - A dead sinking story (screamo, post-hardcore)
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music (hip-hop, jazz, fusion)
Tricot - The (math-rock)

Also can put Intestine Baalism and Chirch of Misery on the list, both being from Japan, but they play rather western-esque melodic death metal and doom metal respectively. Still quite good.

Yasuaki Shimizu
youtube.com/watch?v=dabjI3LRkkQ

Ryuichi Sakamoto
youtube.com/watch?v=kf0HYeQp760

Haruomi Hosono
youtube.com/watch?v=HV_oHmW0rKU

AOTY

Great album. This, tricot, and Seiko Oomori are my top Nip-shit for 2017.

Which album would you recommend as a good starting point for Ryuichi Sakamoto?

Different poster, but I'd say Thousand Knives of Ryuichi Sakamoto or maybe even this year's async.

I'm becoming a major weeb guys please help, I only watch anime and listen to japanese and korean music now and it happened so quickly

DUDE I'LL SCREAM OVER ACCESSIBLE POPPY MELODIES
DAE QUIRKY AND WEIRD XDD
LOOK AT MY LEGS IN HIGHSCHOOL SKIRT BTW :3333

Shit's fun. It doesn't pretend to be any more and it's a great album because of it.

I didn't really dig tricot this year, it's kinda I don't know. Gotta jam a few more

That's fair. It's a lot poppier than THE and A N D. It took a bit to grow on me, but they have a great ear for hooks.

Imagine being this much of a virgin.

Japan is the only asian country to produce any music of actual quality.
I got into Japanese music originally because i grew up watching anime and there are a lot of great anime soundtracks.
Eventually you start exploring non anime Japanese music.
Tat shit yellow magic orchestra made,, city pop, shibuya kei, j rock, jpop, folk,etc.

The Japanese have a great quality and diversity in the music they made.

And once you know that, you realize how garbage kpop and koreans really are.

Who japanoise here

>Japan is the only asian country to produce any music of actual quality.
Japan has the most albums worth listening to out of any Asian country, but there's some good shit from the rest of Asia too. Pic related.

>no cornelius or fishmans

FUCK OFF
U
C
K

O
F
F

youtube.com/watch?v=ixd7QTD_2PU
Fave of the year I guess, I haven't really been keeping up with new stuff

I think the mootkips pastebin is always a good tool to get a general overview of whats overall considered somewhat of note: pastebin.com/Cca07HuB

I mean just like musicover here, there's tons of stuff out there, really depends on what you want to know

Gee senpai, it's not like I have everything in my head at ready whenever. Gomen nasai. Cornelius totally slipped out of my mind. Point is great
And yeah I still haven't checked Fishmans out. What should I start with?

Also fucking Kiwiroll.

Just going to post a bunch of random jap music

youtube.com/watch?v=GvDvstgoqbI

youtube.com/watch?v=P2rtqVma_Ww

youtube.com/watch?v=U3yUuE2x1fs

youtube.com/watch?v=uBzUfjkdPq4

youtube.com/watch?v=aF5PuALlhUI

youtube.com/watch?v=rE0UDfM-vm4

youtube.com/watch?v=M8aF1i864zk

youtube.com/watch?v=vC2vqPHUw7s

youtube.com/watch?v=dN22zS9fLQM

Long Season. It's not just a meme. It's really one of the best dream pop albums I've heard.

>Japan is the only Asian country that has been Westernized to the point where their music has become relatively similar to the music of my own country and thus I can listen to it and enjoy it the same way but I pretend the reason why I can't enjoy music from other Asian countries like China, India, Bangladesh, Thailand etc. is simply because they do not make as good music when in fact my elitism is based solely in my experience, which is fundamentally nurtured by a categorically Western upbringing.

Let's be honest, user.

Have you fucking listened to any Thai music? It's irredeemable garbage like holy shit.

>he doesn't like molam

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uePXqPyROQ
Love Seiko-chan

this

Akiko Yano
youtube.com/watch?v=4lIj6opiVNw

Nobukazu Takemura
youtube.com/watch?v=dRrt5qmo0hg

Yann Tomita
youtube.com/watch?v=5DoT0_hGP9o

You hit the nail on the head. This is why I hate that I can't mention Japanese bands to any of my "normie" friends or family without them thinking its some kind of hyperactive 90s bubblegum happy hardcore shit or something. Japanese music basically has something for everyone regardless of tastes due to how much the Japanese have adapted to western styles of music.

>become westernized
>take over asia

This is why japan always wins WWWWWWWW

Japanese music is hated on Sup Forums so don't bother asking

Is anime music the next wave of vaporwave?

youtube.com/watch?v=4d6k0tHIvyw

Holy shit dude fucking thank you. I just looked up this band and from the singles I've heard I'm actually really into it. Gonna listen to their discography, I think. Good stuff.

It's like Kero Kero Bonito but not fake as fuck.

The obviously over the top saccharine nature of KKB is part of the appeal though I get that it's not for everyone. I like SnC but I feel like what they do is a bit different than KKB. There's definitely some similarities but I feel like the subject matter creates a big difference in how the songs play out. KKB songs are about making banal, everyday things seem more grand or full of life than they are. SnC songs are more about making pop songs from esoteric references to cinema, literature, history, etc.

Sambomaster
Ghost (psychedelic rock band)
Nagisa ni te
Blue Creation
Flower Travellin' Band
Ningen-isu
Acid Black Cherry

I forgot about Ghost. Killer band and not remotely Scooby Doo chase music like the other Ghost.

Especia was pretty good before they broke up.

black sabbath-y psych

Just because you aren't aware of good music from other parts of Asia, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Hey thanks for posting this for me

Heres some random things I've been listening to lately
youtu.be/p1l73gJNU4A
youtu.be/z3LEjF6jbBY
youtu.be/n7rfYjgPRiM
youtu.be/MSEw6Zg8BME

Hope you guys enjoy this
youtube.com/watch?v=xgMD6efugcU
I've spent the past week digging up decent Jap post punk and shoegaze and for me this one has been the winner so far.

the pillows

Kinoko teikoku

their earlier stuff is classic shoegaze, then it gets a little more pop and now we're back to the og sound. sato has an amazing voice that i never get sick of

check out mass of the fermenting dregs too

i have been looking for a japanese jazz band. mostly adult band members. making free jazz but not ornette coleman tier schizo shit, still somehow keeping the melodic feel. they are kinda well know actually. but i have no idea what their name is. there were lots of videos of them in yt. can u guys help finding me those guys pls? i guess one of their song title was related with "time"... anyways idk.

>now we're back to the og sound
hah, Im not as optimistic as that, about half the tracks on the last album were awful with a couple mediocre shoegaze-esque ones and only a couple that you could say matched their old style (one of which is a re-recorded version of an old demo).

It's noisy

1980s jap is best jap
youtube.com/watch?v=GTjFPgyLxAc

Haruomi Hosono, YMO and Miharu Koshi are epic.

I like SAKAMOTO

The Pillows - Little busters

Thanks user, I was rustled by that ridiculous faggot but you got across what we were all thinking

HYBRID RAINBOW

clammbon
Buffalo Daughter
Supercar
Sotaiseiriron
MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS
Salyu
tricot
Lamp
Ken Ishii
fishmans
Boredoms
The pillows
OOIOO
Flipper's Guitar
Yellow Magic Orchestra (GOAT)
Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto

I wasn't liking a lot of their stuff from 3 but their new song, tokyo vampire hotel, is pretty good
not as good as any of THE and kabuku ep songs, but better than the other songs they showed for me

Everyones listing their laundry list of favourites so Im gonna give mine, *s are favourites, ** is essential:

Melt Banana*
Midori*
Bleach 03

Tricot
Kinoko Teikoku**
Uchu Conbini

101A
Ling Togitse Sigure
Toe**
Aoki Takamasa, Tujiko Noriko*
Fishmans**
Shinsei Kamattechan**
Boris**
Yasuaki Shimizu
Supercar
Les Rallizes Denudes**

You mean one of Otomo Yoshihide's bands?

youtube.com/watch?v=H-rQS-534wo

youtube.com/watch?v=fAHzuXt4nBw

Lamp kind of reminds me of a Japanese Steely Dan. Its some great stuff, would highly recommend for OP.

>Bleach03
>385

Nice. I've been really into then over the past couple of weeks. Miya is one hell of a bassist.

blame this site's recent kneejerk reaction against anything japanese
ah, they're done?

Yeah. They just dropped a new compilation as their last record. I'm bummed desu. They were a lot of fun.

>It's different in a lot of ways yet I can't exactly wrap my head around what makes it weird other than "it's Japan".
Point proven

>Japan is the only asian country to produce any music of actual quality.

god I hate this fucking board

they are the best

is there a download for this?

>this album
>not the greatest album of all time

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TxXKNZGss&t=258s

It's on soulseek.

oh i frogot i had that, thanks

L'Arc~en~Ciel's Heavenly and True are two great albums. Their later efforts aren't as consistent or "cool", but have their moments

hell yeah dude

>Faye Wong
my nigga

tsumanne is GOAT

I like fishmans, some youtube classic jazz, nujabes and some bands from my teenager anime years.

I rec Malice Mizer and Larc en Ciel

youtube.com/watch?v=kvExQZTtL-o

youtube.com/watch?v=B8j5Kn0og4E

I really really like the production in Malice Mizer and that aesthetic. It is difficult to find Larc on youtube and live performances generally are shitty. They have one really well done performance that involves some rabbit in the opening (don't remember the album name), try finding on piratebay.

Also give art of Life from X Japan a try.

Okay I just gave this album a listen and its fantastic. Thanks for the rec bud

Lowkey the funkiest motherfuckers on the whole planet

youtube.com/watch?v=hhetXL7KmZA

A handful of people have already mentioned him but Hosono is the by far the most interesting producer the country ever produced, the amount of stuff he's put out since the 70's is jaw-dropping, and most of it's absolutely fantastic.

I'd like to think history will look back on Especia as one of the most unique and important idols groups of the 2010s. Very grateful I had the chance to see them in Shibuya in 2015 (shortly after Primera came out). I'll never forget it, and even if the post-split stuff wasn't quite as good, they're still one of the best idol groups of all time in my opinion.

Nearly stole Tatsuro's thunder for a while, too. On The City Shore takes after For You and doesn't disappoint.

Ginji Ito is often overlooked when it comes to westerners' appreciation of Jap music history in the '70s and '80s.

youtube.com/watch?v=EZDhZJkqh8I

youtube.com/watch?v=DvDuH4tEwgk

youtube.com/watch?v=tcq2QmpxmSs

Ningen-Isu is the greatest band of all time to me.

Well he is not wrong user, Koreans just make shitty pop music. While Chinese people make even worse music and the jungle Asians make even shittier music than the Chinaman. Praise Japan.

Any Akiko Shikata fans here? Part of me knows that she's new age bullshit, but I love her wall of vocal tracks.

I enjoy this. Thanks user, downloading now.

Jesus fucking Christ user you nuked that innocent boy out of this world. Well done.

Please check out this album.

i've never seen a shitposter get so well-dissected before. this was like a precision shot to the brain stem.

I know when it comes to anime music its a bit of a meme fest but is Sambomaster any good? I know the love for the Pillows isn't ironic though

KOKIA is my favorite singer. Her performance makes me feel like I'm listening to her for the first time every time.

What other YMO albums are worth checking out? I love this one.

Well if you like DEG you might enjoy Sukekiyo, Kyo's side projecy. Pretty solid atmobutt

The first from '78 is the quirkiest and essential if you like early electronic pop, BGM is a solid combination of all their styles, Technodelic is landmark /bleep/ ahead of its time, and Naughty Boys is just plain synth pop (still solid, of course).

If you like comedy, Multiplies and Service have sketch show type bits between the songs.

Also, you might like to hear Public Pressure since it contains the best live versions of most of their best songs up 'til that point (1980), including a lot of Solid State Survivor. The album originally cut Kazumi Watanabe's guitar solos due to contractual issues so instead Sakamoto overdubbed new synth solos, which work really well (especially on Tong Poo) but if you want to hear the recordings in their original form, Faker Holic has all the songs and then some.

c h i l l

youtube.com/watch?v=t3r1NZAJlpY

He didnt do anything, thai and indian music are fucking garbage

Exactly, cultures do not have equal music, African chanting and bongo drums don't have shit on Mozart. Most countries have horrible music.

why is this so jammin