What were they thinking ?

What were they thinking ?
this lightsaber seems so impractical. you have to be careful not to cut yourself while fighting plus how is that suppose to be a defensive advantage. if your enemies sword would slide down your own "blade" it would cut right through the connection at the grip. not that we ever saw that kind of move in earlier movies anyway. from all things this annoyed so much i even made a thread.

>inb4 lando 2.0

Nice b8 m8.

The crystal is cracked. What you are complaining about is a defect, not deliberate.

i think the guards are built in coz its a super super old light saber model i think and the only repercussion from the cracked crystal is the ripple/broken effect from the blade itsself. I dont know though.

See, i do know because there is a backstory to every single detail of star wars.

Feel free to look it up on wookiepedia.

The crossguard lightsaber[4] was an ancient lightsaber design that dated back to the Great Scourge of Malachor. It typically emitted three blades, a primary blade and two raw power vents known as quillons. The quillons were tributaries of the main blade and emitter shrouds were used on each of the lateral vents to protect the wielder's hands from harm.

So it is intentional.

TFW cortosis memes

not complaining about the interior of the sabre or anything from the "star wars science" point of view here.
complaining about the fact that the studio agreed to an idea that is obviously bad.

Nigra...you got way too much time to sit around and think.

well its an OLD lightsaber so its bound to be kinda dated. Makes it seem that he had nothing else to chose from when he made it. I see where youre coming from but I think its just some extra flavor to make up his character

Nah fam it's cause he didn't finish his training and had to go on old designs instead of learning from a TRUE FUCKING SWORDSMITH(Jedi) He was a bithc and grabbed something from SMOKE's personal stash of OldmEmEs
Also his crystal was unstable, he's a fuccboi
YFW anakin and Luke lost their hands, common occurence.

its "old" from their point of view. but they have technology better than anything we have now. so they science has to be better than anything we have now.
if idiots like you and me can conclude how fucked the design is, how come a master of the force uses this crap.
plus it seems to me easier to make a sabre without the guards than one with those things. why the extra effort for something that makes your weapon less effective?
isnt that some shit that had to come up with when the studios had their brainstorm sessions?

Well thats kinda what im saying. I didnt know all that but he had to cobble some shit together coz he didnt have the right equipment/materials to work with.

Kylo Ren's character is pretty flawed so not everything he is gona do is going to be great.
And also with no Jedi around having a lightsaber (even if its all fucky) is something that most people wouldnt be able to fight against.
And maybe he didnt have access to more modern shit.
Mainly what im saying is I think its SUPPOSED to be flawed/fucked up because it matches kylo ren's character a bit

Yes, such a bad idea that generates discussion and yet another unique product to want and buy....

He's also a dumbass, he could have just grabbed one from the stash, but nOOOooo He's gotta be edgyXL

i get your point. but you still why did he go the extra mile to make the guards. if he had troubles getting materials / not enought expierience designing (especially with weapon around to compete with - he wouldnt need the extra def) he could just leave it vanilla.

I will now concede that there are unlimited genders but only 2 types of clothes, male and shemale.

Oh no its not that he made the guards its that theyre a part of the handle built in im pretty sure.

I like Kyle's light sword!

He made the guards so it would look edgy just like grandpa's red saber

He thinks it's cross guard. How cute.

The lightsaber is fucking great, actually. Kylo is supposed to be an edgelord, plus you see an implementation for it when he fucks up Finn with the cross guard.

Besides, I assumed that the actual beam of the sword was built like on the right and not like on the left. This is a stupid complaint made my faggots looking to insult the realism of fantasy weaponry in a series with loud explosions in airless vacuums, force ghosts, and psychic space samurais.

Right? It's like you needed to have some superhuman sort of powers and years of training to use it.

Pretendland is so fucking impracticable.

So if Khaleesi had
>Better Crystal
>Training
>memesense
He'd have a regular saber.
Also, it being unstable doesn't make it any better than a stable one.
IIRC unstable crystals will short out in water
IIRC Unstable crystals don't last long
IIRC regular crystals can't be used underwater
IIRC He could have just used a white crystal or one of the Sith Manufactured crystals and been just fine. He just wanted to be a fucc

>needed to have some superhuman sort of powers and years of training to use it.

so does your opponent.

inb4 younglings