/grimes/

Discuss one the best artists ever: Claire Elise Boucher aka Grimey aka Grimes.

Video of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=MavkKrCx1BM

Be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

lapresse.ca/arts/musique/entrevues/201203/03/01-4502127-grimes-au-dela-de-limpact-souterrain.php
instagram.com/p/BUue_zxgWHT/
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
forthebeat.com/blog/2010/09/interview-with-grimes/
youtu.be/p95HVaMTZ80?t=113
youtu.be/3Ci0tAdP7NY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Firstly i think that she was the one who you were on twitter

I like Grimes but the waifufags are disgusting and should be kill

maybe one day

Grimey Grimes is what keeps this board alive

grimes killed this place actually

RIP Sup Forums

It needed to die so it could be reborn into something greater than the sum of it's parts.

>Grimey
nobody calls her like that except obnoxious waifutards
kys

How did grimes become such a qt

I heard Grimes had a chip implanted on her left heel. That's why she's such a genius

your personal grimes board

idk, she's grown more and more into herself

_

What's her astronomical sign?

i see that Sup Forums is still alive...

she wasn't even around here when it died.

we're just talking about grimes in a contained and organized social context

what do you like about subject: grimes?

that's a weird rumor.

Mnahh

do you mean astrological sign? pisces.

I heard Grimes was Métis. Is this true?

sure

false. there are lots of rumors; most of them are false.

She looks like a Q't puppy there

it's her most recent picture.

what is her most underrated song? i vote for sardaukar levenbrech (the second track from geidi primes). almost nobody ever mentioned it.

i hope she keeps that look for a while
i really like Song For Ric, it's perfectly catchy and moody and i like the drums on it

how much do you think she's changed since, around Art Angels? just wondering

still going

This meme needs to die

"grimes is just a meme" is a meme

Reclusive. We don't really know anything about her anymore and she feeds us only irrelevant selective neurotypal information (e.g. happy/active life illusion on social media).

This. But then would we be as intrigued if we knew every nuance and snippet of what she was doing all day.

11:45am - Had a shit.
11:46am - Had some juice...

See what I mean? I mean i'm not above this information. I think it's genuinely interesting. But at some point the woman has to cut back and live her life. Specially after touring as hard as she did in recent years.

Actually, yes:
>Grimes: «Ma mère est mi-française mi-italienne, mon père est ukrainien et métis, il a aussi de lointaines origines québécoises.»
lapresse.ca/arts/musique/entrevues/201203/03/01-4502127-grimes-au-dela-de-limpact-souterrain.php

She used to give her own thoughts on some topics instead of random propaganda retweets. And her photos are now very sterile and void. She is almost completely depersonified.

Grimes does all her personal stuff on Instagram now because people actually take Twitter seriously.
instagram.com/p/BUue_zxgWHT/

Yeah it would be interesting to hear her thought on things. Wonder why she doesn't do that anymore?

Awwwweh I love her now

Why? Because media make articles based on anything she does. There's a reason why she never really promoted her more personal IG account trashique2.

She took some PR lessons from Roc Nation, her mgmt company. Her being depersonified is just an illusion because she chose to share less about her life.

Hmmm yeah that sounds problematic. But she should be free to express herself as she pleases. Then again, are we sure some sort of legal contract/constraint isn't to blame? Ie. she's not allowed to say x, y, and z?

>Wonder why she doesn't do that anymore?

>A: Is it tempting to try to speak directly to your fans about politics at a show, or write something on your blog?
>G: Even that gets taken out of context. The times that I have done that, it’s the same thing. It’s almost worse when you do it on Twitter or something, because it becomes a free-for-all. I’ve basically stopped using social media for anything like that.
>A: That must feel awful.
>G: Instead of being like, 'Pandas are endangered!’ you have to be like, 'It’s World Panda Day! Let’s celebrate. There are only four hundred left.’ You have to spin everything into something that feels positive. Semiotics are really important. Visuals are really important. Instagram is so much more effective. Words can be taken out of context, but a picture is a picture. Think about a lot of the great leaders– or not necessarily great, but powerful. They always had really extreme aesthetics. Genghis Khan. Mussolini. I’m not pro-fascist, but people really respond to aesthetics. I’ve done these sociological tests where I try different hair colours. Blue and purple hair gets the most likes on Instagram. It’s almost double the likes that it is for blonde, brown or pink. I find it very interesting that you can directly measure what kind of visuals people respond to.
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

And take note of the conversation currently going on on her main Instagram right now.

see

Fascinating. So it seems then by the last part then that she's almost assuredly keeping herself out of the public eye (dyed her hair black -- not as resonant with social). Whereas I figure if she was in a promotion cycle it might be pink or blue (as per her research).

Yeah I see how things get taken out of context with things most of the time, with other celebs, politicians etc. She's right. But she should still share her thoughts, maybe do some sort of in-depth posting on her fav. subjects or causes.

You're underestimating how people judge you when you posts your thoughts in public. Now she's too popular to be as candid as before. I think she censors herself to appear more professional.

Grimes used to be a big Mozart fan...

>And take note of the conversation currently going on on her main Instagram right now.
I read some comments on her IG and I'm impressed by the fact that people love her so much. She has a way to make herself super-likeable.

Some pretty old posts now. Still very cool.

>I think she censors herself to appear more professional.

I can only conclude that professionalism is bad

Being yourself is not really a good advice in the business world/music biz. You must to be like an actor, to hide your true feelings and ideas.

No, that's only applies to generic music industry plants who are devoid of any personality or intelligence. They are naturally encouraged to keep their thoughts to themselves. Pop music is of course full of them, creating illusion of some sort of vow of silence. Other musicians are not really restrained and can freely state their mind.

I think there are levels of professionalism. Depending on the industry you're in, professionalism might be showing up on time, wearing a suit and being good at what you do.

In others professionalism might simply mean being the best YOU that you can be. And people eat it up. That's all that matters in some industries, that you keep selling. Whatever you do, keep doing it. Even if it means being a rock star, trashing your hotel suite and pissing on people left and right.

Like everything, seemingly, professionalism is subjective.

Grimes and 2 fans

bump4grimes

Visions had some bonus tracks. Where are the Art Angels bonus tracks, Claire?

the reason grimes stopped doing that stuff is because she got tired of feeding psycho stans like these threads

Who are the fans and who is grimes?

That made no sense

Guess! What do you think?

Middle is grimey

Geidi Primes is really underrated

YOU WON!

She was the only one who was dressed like a super hipster

That's one of the cleanest pics of her i've seen. Wow.

She has nice eyes.

does anyone remember a interview / release about one of the earlier albums where she refers to a girl from the middle ages or something who never learned how to play or compose music but made it based off messages from god, and how grimes wants the album to kind of sound like that?

this isn't very good

its ok but not very good

Do you mean Hildegard von Bingen?

I think thats what gets me about her... besides her voice. Oh, and that smile could melt an iceberg.

yes, thank you! i found it thanks to you.

forthebeat.com/blog/2010/09/interview-with-grimes/

... I guess that sounds weird but Halfaxa is sort of my ‘medieval’ album. I wanted to attempt to evoke the feeling of believing in God in a very Medieval Christian way. I wanted to capture the beauty of being in a beautiful cathedral and hearing reverbed (naturally), devotional, vocal music and really believing in heaven and hell, and that the art that you are experiencing (visually, architecturally, sonically etc) is related to a higher platonic, metaphysical space, or comes directly from it through the medium of the artistic prophet. Hildegard von Bingen is my idol right now, and I feel like she would be a good example of someone through whome God spoke and beautiful music was made via her body by a divine being (or so she claims, and I’d like to believe). I feel like art in the middle ages was always addressing something beyond earthly experience, and I want to do the same. But I wanted it to be vague as to what it is beyond earthly experience that is being addressed. And I wanted the music to feel really good addictive. I love music that is very smooth to the ears, and has lots of low frequencies as I find high frequencies very grating.

Let's not forget about her personality...

When did Sup Forums die?

Except I dont know her so cn't get a good read of that. From what i've seen she's a doll. But who knows.

Who knows how she's in real life, but in her public appearances she seems like a kind person. Maybe it's an illusion.

Exactly. I hope not. I mean i've been reading about her and seeing her interviews and all that. She seems genuine. But again, one can't exactly distance themselves from having to make money or put on a show. So who knows if it's all theatrics. I doubt it, as even the most committed actor/actress would not be able to method act themselves something they are not forever. She seems consistent, behavior wise, anyway.

>She seems consistent, behavior wise, anyway.
That's what made me think that she's genuine. No matter how good actor you are, at some point the mask will fall and your real personality will be on display.

What's grimes best song?

i personally think it is the realiti demo. my cousin thinks it's visiting statue.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Although there are always some very surprisingly good actors out there in hollywood who make people think they are angels who are real bitches IRL.

That's a hard question. She has tons of great songs. To name just 10:
Venus in Fleurs
Genesis
Oblivion
Be a Body
Symphonia IX
Rosa
Weregild
Realiti
Kill V. Maim
Butterfly

Listen to all of these songs.

oblivion

Can't objectively determine that. She's got a lot of fantastic songs.

Listening

Good. I'd like to see your opinion about them once you finish.

she's always working

frida kahlo is modern art, not romantic.

she said "romantic air", not that kahlo is romantic. it's a subtle difference...

you could be modern and have a romantic air.

>Venus in Fleurs
Pretty interesting, I like the guitars. I liked it more on second listen. Cool music video

>Genesis
Great melody and the eastern thing that comes in at 2:40 is great, vocals are interesting.

>Oblivion (favorite)
Really love this one, especial the vocal melody and the music video is really fun

>Be a Body
I like the main synth in the beginning, loses a bit of steam half way in for me

>Symphonia IX
I really like the atmosphere on this one and the change up in the last section is pretty haunting

>Rosa (least favorite)
Not really jamming with that guitar in this one - least favorite

>Weregild
Cool intro I like the vocal chopping. I like when all the vocals come in with that solid kick drum. Good atmosphere again.

>Realiti
Pretty great stuff in this song. Vocals are great and the instrumental is fun. Music video makes me want to travel

>Kill V. Maim
I like the energy in this one, It's a good change up from the rest. Cool to hear her get a little more wild with her voice. Pretty catchy, I like the outro.

>Butterfly
It's alright, this one doesn't really stand out in anyway to me, except for that little guitar breakdown that comes in a couple times.

Interesting descriptions, I enjoyed reading that. I have another batch if you will:
Circumambient
Nightmusic
Flesh Without Blood
Scream (this one is her most controversial song)
Devon
Skin
Artangels
Heartbeats
Venus Fly
Vanessa

>Cool intro I like the vocal chopping.
BTW, she said "say something to me Voignamir" on that intro. Voignamir was her cat. ;)

skin

listening
lol interesting

You must watch this (just a few seconds): youtu.be/p95HVaMTZ80?t=113

LOL!

I saw Grimes at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn?t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, ?Oh, like you?re doing now?? I was taken aback, and all I could say was ?Huh?? but he kept cutting me off and going ?huh? huh? huh?? and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like ?Sir, you need to pay for those first.? At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and and told her to scan them each individually ?to prevent any electrical infetterance,? and then turned around and winked at me. I don?t even think that?s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

>Circumambient
I like the heavier start. Love all the vocals going on in this one

>Nightmusic (favorite)
Wow love the all that reverb crazy vocals. Really good stuff

>Flesh Without Blood
I recognize this song but never knew it was Grimes, was this in a commercial or something? Really good though, catchy and driving.

>Scream
The mirror effect stuff in the music video is awesome. I'm curious why this one is controversial. It's definitely pretty waked out. I liked the screams a lot, fun song.

>Devon
Love the intro and all the reverb is great as always. I really like that guitar I think it is? That comes in pretty clear at the very end

>Skin
That beat is super interesting, loving the sound on this one. Again with the reverb, I like how she lets it run it's course.

>Artangels
Very colorful, I like a lot of those sounds in the back. Feelin kinda regular off this one though

>Heartbeats (least favorite)
A little too slow and samey imo maybe a bit flat

>Venus Fly
I like the heavier bass in this song, kinda crazy. Enjoying the vocals a lot on this one. Really fun

>Vanessa
It's pretty good, I like when it comes back in at 3:29 in the music video version. Though a little uninteresting I think.

that's pretty hilarious

Back, what'd I miss?

it's because she's an idiot desu

Pure lies. Cucked value for post.

>reading comprehension
She used small-r romantic - not Romantic.

>A little too slow and samey imo maybe a bit flat
I actually agree about the album version. However imo this live version easily bumps it up into her top-5 best tracks:
youtu.be/3Ci0tAdP7NY