>2017
>hes still grimesposting and not poppyposting

What's wrong with you?

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/music/features/pc-music-are-for-real-a-g-cook-and-sophie-talk-twisted-pop-20150522
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

IM IN LOVE WITH THE MAN OF THE FUTURE

Why not both.jpg

They're both extremely bland

I WANT YOUR FLOPPY DISK TO BE MY HARDDRIVE

The jews are at it again lads

>he does it for free

Honestly Poppy is just so boring. Her music was never really amazing or even moderately special in any way, but I stuck around for the "plot" that wasn't even there, really.
so, eventually, I just got bored with her. she's physically cute but that's about it. grimes makes nice music and has a persona that isn't so contrived and steeped in "irony" that really isn't even that deep or clever, and that's why she has so many waifufags.

>implying a Jew would do anything for free

Poppy is 16

The actress who plays her, however, is 24.
Also, Poppy was born January 1st, 2000. So she's 17.

Whoops, sorry.
>Moriah Pereira. Moriah Rose Pereira was born in Nashville, Tennessee. She is 22 years old.

>Career not going according to plan?
>Die your hair blonde and be edgy and randum on YouTube!!1
>Guaranteed subscribers.

You forgot the most important step you silly user
>be attractive

stay in your containment board

At least Grimes has production talent and can make pretty catchy, non-generic pop songs from scratch.

Poppy is (attempting to be) billboard pop trash in every way.

>and has a persona that isn't so contrived and steeped in "irony" that really isn't even that deep or clever

It's not even *her* persona. Nearly every single video, song, tweet, interview, and PR gimmick is written, directed, filmed, and edited by her boyfriend Titanic Sinclair.

I think she might write some of her own lyrics and maybe part of the top-line melody (I doubt she does even that now; probably outsourced), but other than that she plays no role. The lulsoquirky marketing is 100% Titanic's doing. She's just a puppet. If you look at his own videos and his ex-gf/singer, Mars Argo, they're pretty much identical.

i feel like poppy is pretending to be 2deep4u but in reality she has nothing interesting to say.
she's just spouting random shit and letting the audience piece together something that isn't there, if that makes any sense.

>I'm a robot, btw. just in case you didn't catch the undertones.
She keeps getting less and less subtle.

100% user. It's meme brainwash with some spooky ambient noises. The clothing she wears sometimes is pretty cool though

I was at a house party the other day and some sperg put on a Poppy song and he kept on going how it was a parody, that she was doing it ironically and so on
It was pretty embarrassing

>It's not even *her* persona. Nearly every single video, song, tweet, interview, and PR gimmick is written, directed, filmed, and edited by her boyfriend Titanic Sinclair.

So this dude does all the work and she gets all the attention. Talk about cucking yourself.

Well, he's getting pretty rich off of it and has gained some minor celebrity from it himself, and we're shittposting probably-half-true speculations about them on what's basically a music gossip message board, so he kind of has the last laugh. If I could make a shitton of money by propping up some waifu-bait singer I'd probably do it, too.

At the end of the day though, I wonder if they both feel the lack of artistic integrity they probably deserve to feel. No amount of money can make that feeling vanish.

>meme brainwash
i am going to start saying that

>being this ass devastated
It's okay buddy, Poppy loves you anyway
Everything is A-Ok!

That's autism triggering, I'm sorry user

We may not know the whole ordeal but from the outside looking in it seems pretty obvious that she's his muse and play thing.

How much did you get paid to post that my good rabbi

>I was at a house party the other day and some sperg put on a Poppy song and he kept on going how it was a parody, that she was doing it ironically and so on
>It was pretty embarrassing
I'm laughing trying to envision this. It sounds like a 4channer trying to explain shitposting or intentionally bad memes IRL.

The ambient isn't even fucking good. I could have some respect for what they're doing if the music was actually venturing out a bit, like PC Music, but it's just somewhat polished sound design in generic trash tracks.

Someday someone will do what Titanic and Poppy are doing, but much better, with actual quality music and genuine, unforced weird/edgy meme marketing. Like a mix between Death Grips and Poppy or something.

I have nothing against Poppy herself and think she has a good voice and is an okay singer. It's just that the marketing gimmick is so painfully obvious (and the music is not good).

>We may not know the whole ordeal but from the outside looking in it seems pretty obvious that she's his muse and play thing.
Yeah. Obviously she's consenting to it (at least externally), like his ex-gf Mars Argo, but the power dynamics seem pretty messed up and I wouldn't be surprised if she regrets all this in several years. You can't really say "oh maybe it was Poppy's idea all along" because he was doing the *exact* same thing with Mars Argo.

I predict she'll try to go solo eventually (or switch to a new producer) and then drop off shortly after.

what did you think of poppy's ambient album?

i just want mars argo desu

>i feel like poppy is pretending to be 2deep4u but in reality she has nothing interesting to say.
>she's just spouting random shit and letting the audience piece >together something that isn't there, if that makes any sense.

>100% user. It's meme brainwash with some spooky ambient noises.

You're both right, but I bet it's not the full story. It's hard to know their true intentions, but I think Titanic cares about exposure and money over everything else.

I think he knows full well that the "meme brainwashing" comes across as a super inauthentic and gimmicky way to bootstrap a "pop idol" to a large portion of their audience, but he also knows that the discussion and controversy that generates is enough to get them more views and more career opportunities. All publicity is good publicity etc.

Also, in line with the whole post-post-post-irony thing they're going for, he may very well say (or genuinely rationalize) that it's all intentional irony and that it's a *commentary* on astroturfed marketing surrounding pop sensations... while doing the exact same thing genuinely and unabashedly, for profit.

"If I point it out, mock it, and hyperbolize it it's okay for me to do it." I think there's a word for that but I forget it.

>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY
>COMPUTER BOY
COMPUTER BOY

>"If I point it out, mock it, and hyperbolize it it's okay for me to do it." I think there's a word for that but I forget it.

I wouldn't mind that if that was aspect of something larger. The fashion (like ) adds a stylish exterior and Poppy is a pretty good performer. But there's still a lack of depth.

she's not attractive tho she looks like an anorexic middle aged Italian man

Yeah, exactly. There's definitely polish around the fashion and aesthetics and color palettes and the way they shoot the "quirky" videos and I do like that portion and think it's done well, and even a few of the videos were sort of entertaining to me, but it's a book with a cool cover and no pages.

There is absolutely some validity in that post-modernist-whatever super-self-aware style, but as you say, their version of it is too shallow to hold artistic weight. PC Music in their heyday pulled it off way better (though that's a bit closer to "new sincerity" I think).

And also if you ignore all the people and imagery and marketing and whatever, I just don't like any of her music. I also think she is a pretty good performer (her acoustic version of Lowlife showed she's talented, even if I still think the song sucks) but the final product is so bland.

If she were paired with a better and somewhat more adventurous producer she could have a real shot at meme music success. It's extra disappointing that not only is the brand so shallow, but they have this weird somewhat edgy video/stunt style yet their music is not remotely weird or edgy at all, and basically just pays surface-level lip service to those themes of "we're in the digital age!!!! XD" with no interesting lyrical or musical content to really bolster it.

They had this great opportunity to make unnerving, minimalist, aesthetic-focused music to pair with their unnerving, minimalist, aesthetic-focused videos and completely blew it. And the reason why is obvious: they want commercial success and money, and the only way to attain that is to make songs that appeal to a commercial audience. There is very little art behind it.

I was hoping the ambient stuff would partly scratch that itch, but it's just as compositionally milquetoast.

I agree with you on PC Music, which seems to have been alienating and not taken seriously because it's status as some sort of post-ironic joke. Poppy has more mainstream appeal, yet seems less deserving of serious recognition. Both use irony to commentate on the digital age, but PC Music is more interesting

Yeah, for sure. Interestingly, PC Music themselves argue that everyone interprets them incorrectly:

rollingstone.com/music/features/pc-music-are-for-real-a-g-cook-and-sophie-talk-twisted-pop-20150522

>Is there an element of satire to what you do? Are you making fun of pop music?

>Cook: No, I mean, I never set it up in that way. Everything can get interpreted as satire, in that very cynical way. But when we were doing Pop Cube with Red Bull, there was a really good moment quite early on where they wanted to scope out what we were like. Within the first minute, they could tell we weren't pranksters. We take it seriously. This is a big part of our lives. There's no way that satire could be at the core of anything.

>Sophie: Why would you bother investing so much of your time and energy in something that's basically laughing at something and not contributing anything? I don't think that's a worthwhile use of your time.

>Cook: One of our intentions is to try and push pop music and make it experimental and accessible, and put an interesting noise or personality as well as a good melody. Sometimes people just don't like how it sounds, and they're like "Oh, well, I can't justify this. It must be a joke." But we're really just trying to see if we can make something stick culturally.

Who knows how honest they're being there, and that answer doesn't cover the whole picture (e.g. you can take something super seriously while still intending it to be viewed as a commentary), but I think they're a bit trickier to pinpoint on the "irony spectrum".

Either way, music aside, I think they're more interesting, innovative, and artistically-driven than Titanic and Poppy, and as a bonus I also like their music more. (Though none of their recent stuff has interested me much, minus SOPHIE's side-work.)

ok? she takes direction much better than the other chick though, she's the girl for the job

Better than Mars? Yeah for sure. I'm just pointing at the Mars stuff to show she's a total puppet and is doing the *exact* same thing Titanic scripted Mars to do, so it feels very disingenuous. She's better at following the script than Mars was, but that doesn't really redeem their quality.

Poppy is an inauthentic "artist"

Those videos are quirky for the sake of being quirky and the only reason people like them is because she's cute, not because she's particularly talented

It's like a 15 year old trying to imitate a David Lynch aesthetic/mood it just doesn't come off very well

No shit, read all the previous discussion in the thread first

no

I was talking to the OP you fucking faggot mind your own business

I know you were but you're just rehashing everything everyone else already said, cunt

No one said it as coherently and concisely as I did

You're actually right, my bad

poppy mai nu waifu

>i feel like poppy is pretending to be 2deep4u but in reality she has nothing interesting to say.
Well, taking sarcasm and parody to the level Zappa for example did requires actual effort and talent. But who wants to do that anymore?

srsly fuck poppy
shes inferior to her predecessor

/thread

You captured one aspect of it fairly eloquently but you missed the bigger picture.

ok ill bite
who is this blacked.com-tier buck tooth looking bitch and why should i waste my time even posting this comment in a thread about her

don't worry, she'll return near the end of the Poppy series and murder Titanic and then they'll both be free and make a collab album or something

What's their endgame?

It's a business partnership not cuckoldry. Retards don't even know the meaning of the word anymore.