Ask a gun shop manager anything

Ask a gun shop manager anything.

~Sunday Edition~

Got any cool shit in the back?

If a smart dressed, polite, white guy walks into your shop, with a lot of money, would you illegally sell him a gun?

Do you sell to blacks?

Whats the worst DIY modded firearm a customer ever brought in ?

Are you one of those stupid NRA morons who thinks all liberals want to take away your guns?

How do you feel about customers with no shopping agenda, that just want to talk shop all day?

Just some personal firearms, but other than that, everything is on the shop floor.

No. Ive been offered extra funds for it before. They get booted from the shop and I forward what info I can to ATF and local PD.

Yes

Shitty polishing jobs, parts attached via JB Weld, garbage optics and grips up the ass, shitty stippiling jobs, holes drilled in places "to save weight" or for "less friction". A bit of everything.

Im not a fan of the political left. I understand there is political push to remove gun rights but that side is fighting a losing battle. Confiscation wont work either since there are so many guns out there that cant be easily traced which is why I love the idea of 80% lowers.

80% lowers? Can you explain?

Im fine with it. I don't mind chatting a bit but once we get a bit busy I have to put my attention to the people looking to buy something. Still I don't ignore the guy just looking around.

An incomplete frame or lower receiver of a firearm that is not able to accept most of the internal parts. You have to make cuts to finish it and is not recognized as a firearm by federal definition.

Basically a professionally started DIY firearm.

Hmm interesting, what do you think of 3d printing?

So you think as many people as possible should own a potentially deadly weapon?

Thank you for proving a point. Also, that didn't really answer my question. On top of that, I am a liberal-fuck and I couldn't give less of a shit about your right to own a gun.

Does anyone ever bring in a really good custom job gun? Like, they actually knew what they were doing tinkering with it.

If someone came into your shop with a gun (or several) and killed everyone and brutally injured you, would you defend their right to do so?

Do you act racist towards some customers?

I personally think gun ownership is not the issue so much as what you are legally entitled to do with said gun. Im a Canadafag and up here we have a fairly high gun ownership rate but there are rather strict rules as to where and when they can be used. Essentially its either at a gun range or for hunting. There is no open carry or no self defence and guns/ammo must be stored basically in a safe/locker

Are you British? Image in OP is an English gun shop

not op, but sure why not?

What is the average price of gun for each lets say category of firearm, i'm looking to get something but don't have a lot of money.

>Are you British?

its illegal to think about guns in Britain.

not op, but freedom ends when your actions infringe upon someone else's. Only a fool would defend this.

I'm from Canada as well, and I respect that opinion. I don't entirely agree with it though, as I came from an alcoholic family where my father threatened to kill everyone in the family almost every night with a gun he purchased for the sole purpose of hunting. The laws clearly cannot stop things like that from happening.

The picture is of a Brirish gun shop... We do have guns, you know...

Its a neat concept but doesnt do well for practical firearms. Im not bothered people make firearms with them but building a glock or an AR from an 80% lower is a bit more practical. They do seem pretty neat for the enthusiast that wants to design their own gun though.

No, but I understand that guns can be easily made by anyone willing to do so. Look up the homemade pipe shotgun and it will go to show how pointless gun control is in practice.

Im sorry if you are incapable of picking up the answer from that.

Any good custom work has come from shops that specialize in it. We get plenty of Wilson Combat and Nighthawks coming through for our high roller customers.

No Its hard to have rights when you're dead. Gun shops are a piss poor place to target when occupied.

No as I have no reason to.

No, the pic is just pulled from google.

My least expensive is a Cobra .380 pistol for $160 and I stock high end rifles and pistols up to about $3000.

How much do you have to spend on a gun / ammo and I can give you a recommendation from there.

And what if he had a knife instead? He could have pulled it off at night without waking everyone else with a gun shot. People who wish to do others harm can and will find a way.

Ever been robbed?

I want to spend around 300 on the firearm and am willing to spend a bit more on ammo as needed

No but he should never have been able to own that gun in the first place. When I took my PAL they went through my past histroy witha fine tooth comb. When my sister got hers she had to get doctors notes stating she wasnt a threat to herself or anybody else because she had issues with depression a number of year prior to applying for it

>We do have guns, you know...

stay where you are citizen! anti terror squads are on there way

Did you ever felt threatened?

Also , what's the worst thing a customer did in your store ?

And you have to keep your ass pre lubed because the CRMP now can kick down your door we never they feel like it. Unless you just get a long arm card

CRMP? What in the hell are you even talking about?!

None worth mentioning.

No but we've had shady people obviously up to something as far as stealing our goods.

You can find a Taurus PT-111 G2 or 709 Slim for under $300. Taurus is still a budget brand but not terrible. Look around online for a price within your budget, call your local dealer and ask what they charge for a transfer fee (online orders must be sent to a dealer) and a box of defensive ammo will be between $20-$30 depending on the quality of the hollow point.

Feel free to ask me to clarify anything you may not understand about the process.

If he shouldn't have been able to own it, then something went wrong with your system in regulation firearms. Even then what was to stop him from buying one illegally or making one?

Feel threatened? Not exactly all though we have had people get pissy due to background check failures or the fact i won't sell to them if they smell like weed(still illegal federally therefor if I am under the impression you smoke, I can't legally sell you a gun). They try to act threatening but trained armed staff vs some pissed off prohibited person really are a bad match up.

Brits can buy hunting pistols with extreme limits on what you can do with it, and 3 max capacity shotguns with lesser but still strict limits.

I love how sarcasm goes right over the head of conservatives. Especially NRA members.

What is your suggestion for a good and affordable 1911?

BAAAADDD idea to sell to blacks man. They killed each other enough with sticks and stones in africa. They don't need guns now too.

Are you an asshole to customers like every single gun shop clerk is to me?

You fail to realize this is an "ask me anything" thread. No dumb-ass question will go unanswered.

Rock Island Armory, American Tactical, or Metro arms. Look into 1911s from any of those brands and pick your favorite and most affordable size and configuration. Disregard Taurus as a 1911 manufacturer.

I sell to people I feel won't do anything stupid with their firearm. If I get a weird vibe from you, you're not getting a gun, skin color need not apply.

No, and that's why the reviews are so great. Every customer gets greeted sincerely, offered assistance, and offered recommendations when they come in looking for a certain type of product. Came in for a holster? Let me show you some of my best sellers. In the market for a firearm? Here's what on sale or here are the used guns if you're looking for a good deal. Even the people I can't sell to I'm polite to up until they do something to make me force them out of the shop.

No regulatory system is 100% perfect ours is no exception. People do slip through the cracks from time to time. As for buying a gun illegally...that would be even more difficult then getting one legally. I have associated with many shady characters in my time and not once have i come across somebody who has either bought or sold guns illegally in Canada. Obviously it happens but you need to know the right people and have a reputation among them. Its not as simple as going to your friendly neibourhood weed dealer and asking if they know where to buy a gun. As for making them, not 100% sure on this but i am fairly certain that you would still need to be licenced to buy parts. Hell you need to show your licence to buy ammo up here

Nice dubs!
Thanks. I have been looking into the Taurus because they were cheap. Didn't know it they were affordable or crap. I like the feel of a 1911. I'm only concerned about the upkeep. More moving parts than a revolver.

Parts for homemade guns are sometimes from commercial guns, but for the most part, the parts are easy to make out of scrap metal and sprigs. Google "homemade gun" and see how creative people get with them. Most people make them just to see if they can or as a project. If anyone wants to hurt someone bad enough, they will find a way simply put.

Taurus is still a budget brand but their 1911's have been piss poor in quality from my experience. Just keep you pistol cleaned and well oiled and it will last you. 1911s have quite a few small parts but aren't horribly complex.

best handgun for $500?
power over accuracy

No argument there, i was more refering to building a custom AR. The parts on their own would be unatainable comercially without a licence. I would have to be steaming mad though to risk a backfire or the receiver blowing up in my face with a fallout 4 esq pipe rifle. Still need ammo though

Okay, serious question then: Are you a card carrying member of the NRA? If so, why? Do you really believe in their supposed gun right M.O.?

what's your recommendation for home defense?

I have my uncles remmington rand that he carried in korea. Its not hard to keep cleaned and oiled. Bit of a learning curve to it but nothing overly complex

bump

Well congrats you sound like a respectable gun shop owner who doesn't freak me the fuck out

Best for what purpose? Not all are created equal.

Ah I see. Im unsure of how the Canadian laws work on assembling your own firearm from available parts. In the US, the lower receiver is considered a firearm and all else can be bought normally.

I am not an NRA member. They are a very okay group. It needs to be better run with more money going to supporting gun rights as opposed to the pockets of the workers. There are several other gun groups I donate to though.
An AR15 in 5.56, a pistol caliber carbine, or a full sized pistol. Shotguns work but are less advantageous than something shorter with more capacity and faster reload time. I personally use a Sig MPX-K or a Beretta 92A1.

lmao

Well, I will give you the credit for being smart enough not to be an NRA member.

What are the chances of a convicted felon obtaining a firearms license to shoot feral niggers?

OP, I'm a gunsmith who works mostly on traditional English style double rifles and shotguns. I know reps for some of their companies and in most European countries you can own guns and shoot them.
Lots of legal crap to work through but they go on hunts and shoots plenty too.

you open today? i need a glock.

I try to be as professional and helpful as possible. I'm also not an ass about transfers like many others are. I get that you can save a bit on the gun by purchasing it online. Turning away transfers from specific sources or transfers altogether is a piss poor business plan. Some shops charge as much as $100 for a transfer where we charge $30

I just find that the money can be used for better things to help gun rights.

If you have felonies, you can't obtain an FFL.

Nice, my work applies to newer production firearms but I would love to learn to restore old guns. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to work on classics too often so putting the time into learning wouldn't be the greatest idea at this time.

What is the nicest firearm you've done work on? Ever brought a hopeless gun back to life?

open 7 days a week and we carry most of Glock's models.

link to your GB or armslist store?

Basically every part of a gun is treated the same up here, the only thing i am not 100% on is the stock. I had to get a replacement magazine for one of my pistols and the shit i went through to get it was stupid. Had to drive over 4 hours to a gun shop that had them in stock but becuase i forgot my PAL at home they wouldnt sell it to me so i had to drive back and do it all over again the next weekend

London's best Purdy SxS probably the nicest Ive worked on.
Had some Spanish double guns come in completely rusted out that took a lot of love to get back to working. Lots of small scroll engraving and color case hardened stuff.
Having to polish off rusted color case hardened colors is a heart breaker, nitre blued parts I can re nitre and make look like new again though.
Do ink and varnish jobs on a lot of cleaning tickets where I reink engraving and varnish coat it so old stuff that's been used a lot bit taken care of looks new.
Lot of stock repair, and stock work too.

The high end guns, Purdy, Holland & Holland, Rigby, Boss, etc, are mirror polished on the inside. It's pretty neat, you work on so many "normal" guns, blueprint a bolt gun, build a 1911, time a single action revolver..... And all these modern guns look like shit on the end side, tool marks and scrapes and all that. You pull the side plates on a nice gun and all the internals are a matching mirror Polish, no marks, just perfect, it's crazy.
But the screws are so tight on them you hear an audible pop when they finally break and turn, super thin and shallow screw cuts as well, have to grind your own drivers for each gun

Home stippling on Glocks: awful or the worst?

Function over form. I don't mind seeing stippling on guns, but don't rave about it as far as how "nice" you think it looks.

I have those pages, but for anonymity reasons, I will not post.

Your most expensive gun?
And the one you recommend the most?

>pointless gun control is in practice

Hahahaha. Hahahaha!!
God damn I love being Australian.
Hahaha! Hahaha... wew... stupid fucking burgers man

I have a stainless steel mini-14. Are there special solvents and oils that should be used for cleaning and storage?

How much do you pay your employees? I was thinking of looking for employment at one of my local gunshops, so as to be around one of my hobbies more often.

In stock at the moment, HK SP5K $2300

M&P pistols for the price and quality. If you're on a budget, Canik TP9

We had guns from the start. What works for one place does not work for another. Also enjoy your increasing crime rate.

I clean, oil, and store with Slip2000 but and gun oil is fine for storage.

Hey are you toxic? Would you be willing to take part in an interview?

It's super easy to make a firearm.

They arrested an ex con in Baltimore City a couple years back because it was standing on the street corner in south baltimore every single day with one of those big super soakers. Cops drove by him and were like "huh...don't you think that's weird?" then left. Did that for a few days and then just started eyeballing him. Eventually found a reason to stop and check him out and he had made the super soaker into a shotgun with parts exclusively from home depot (aside from a shotgun shell) and was holding territory for a gang by standing on the corner with it.

He was a multiple felon, and it's illegal to have a gun in the city. Pretty much for any reason.

Moral of the story...you don't need anything fancy kill people.

Yea...Taurus has some ok stuff, I don't think I'd go buying a $300 1911 though....

[Citation needed]

What state you from OP?

It's been years since that story was in the news here. I'd never find it. Google for like 'super soaker zip gun' and you'll get a billion articles. It happens all the time.

It's easier to user a pre-build 'trigger' mechanisim like what's in those I'd imagine. For a shotgun, all you need is like, the trigger assembly (which in a super soaker is already built for you), a piece of pretty decent pipe (home depot), a nail (home depot), spring or something like a spring (home depot), and some cheap cutting tools (home depot).

You only get 1 shot but then that's all you need when you have a shotgun shell and the other guy has NO GUNS.

What do you think should change regarding firearm legislation in the usa?

I've never bought a gun and going into a shop is intimidating. Are the people there going to be upset with me if I don't know terminology and stuff?

No, but I understand that guns can be easily made by anyone willing to do so. Look up the homemade pipe shotgun and it will go to show how pointless gun control is in practice.

got ya covered

Australia has far fewer niggers than USA, so of course you'll have less gun violence.

damn you seem like a guy I would go out of my way to do business with......how?
>ps thanks for stopping by Sup Forums

google homemade guns and how to make them. its easy as shit.

MI

Short barrel shotgun and short barrel rifle laws need to be ditched. It doesnt make sense that you can have a full sized AR or a compact AR pistol, but having the pistol with a stock is a felony without the proper paperwork and several month wait time for clearance.

Drop suppressors from the NFA as well

CPL/CHL/etc should apply to all states just like a driver license.

Bans on certain firearms in certain states is ridiculous

Upset, no. Some shops will give you a hard time if you call a magazine a clip or misname anything else. Just let them know you are a first time gun owner and hope for the best. beware H&K is over priced, and don't buy anything too cheap since you do get what you pay for. If you want good quality for the price, Ruger has plenty of firearms to choose from.

I bet now he will mention ammo control next...

as a guy who's getting his license soon, what sort of firearm do you recommend I get first? I'm mainly interested in home defense, but also just going to the range and shooting a few.

Just google that shit.

Technically in the AR platform (m4, m16, ar10, ar15, ar16, etc.) the *only* thing that's actually a firearm is pic related. An 80% lower is one of these but without the part that holds the trigger assembly milled out and a couple of holes drilled. Since it requires that much work, it's not technically a firearm so it can be sold without any background checks to anyone.

>
>An incomplete frame or lower receiver of a firearm that is not able to accept most of the internal parts. You have to make cuts to finish it and is not recognized as a firearm by federal definition.
>
>Basically a professionally started DIY firearm.

On that note, how do you feel about air rifles, not the 700 fps bb guns, the 50 cal air rifle for large game hunting not being regulated by the government?

As a britfag im very much on the fence regarding gun laws. On the one hand i love that we don't really have gun problems here, London excluded ofcourse. But, with cuts being made, police response times getting long and longer what right does any goverment have to tell me i can't own a shotgun to defend my home while i wait 30 minutes or more for the boys in blue?

are sales down now that Obama is out of office?

can't you own a shotgun? There was a documentary a while ago about the Royals, and they filmed the Queen driving around the countryside and chatting with shotgun-holding hunters/farmers.

O.P you're in Michigan ....hory shit ... im in Livonia
>where in Mi?..... I'm a collector of firearms

You can own a shotgun if your a famer or live in the countryside, but you have to have a reason to own one, and if you were to put home defence on your application you will be refused

Do you sell gapes?

Claim you're a hunter/join a shooting club.

I think you're still limited to double barrel, but that's two booms you didn't have before.

Do you sell unique in 1lb cans?

>google homemade guns and how to make them
no thanks. i don't want to be on any more government watch lists

A full sized 9mm pistol, an AR chambered in 5.56, or a 9mm carbine. Great for defense and inexpensive to shoot bidirectionally.

Air guns have their place in recreation and small game hunting. I target shoot with my Benjamin NP Trail .177 from time to time and when I can't make it to the range but just want some trigger time, i shoot cans with my red ryder. Your property is not the governments business.

Know that bad people will do bad things if they are so inclined. A citizen should be able to protect themselves by any means necessary. There is a similar problem in rural areas here in the US. Police are spread so far and thin that you can expect a 30 minute response time.

Put it this way. Lets say a violent individual is kicking down your door and police will respond in 60 seconds should you call them...what are you going to do to protect yourself in those 60 seconds while you wait for help? Now apply realistic response time.

A bit but price drops give people more incentive to purchase. Its a buyers market.

I do not sell reloading components.

You're on Sup Forums...you're already on a list. Making your own gun is perfectly legal in the US.

exactly, i'm on Sup Forums, which is one strike
searching for info on homemade guns is two
all i'd have to do is make a negative tweet about trump and they'd be busting my door down at 5 am

>legal
>legal
>legal

Enjoy your paranoia. Your post contained "homemade gun" either way....

I know shit about guns. I just watched hickcock45 shoot this thing and basically fall over himself praising it. Any idea if its legal in California?

What's the most common misconception you get from customers?