Moth thread

Moth thread

Bump

god I love moths so much. they're so fucking adorable.

Like little fluffy butterflies

dubs confirm

>tfw no pet giant moth to cuddle at night
Why live?

C'mon guys post more before mods see.

let me guess, these are the new sink threads?

This thread

What is a sink thread

a moth thread....

newfag

I never understood why they gave mothra mandibles. Moth faces are too cute for something like that.

since when are sinks adorably fluffy?

not him but also a newfag , what is it?

more moths incoming

OP, I am so fucking glad you made this thread.

You're welcome

:)

That's a butterfly

I hope these threads become a regular thing. I'm starting a moth folder so the next thread is even better.

Saturnids are absolutely gorgeous

Moths are pretty great. I hope we get more moth threads too.

you're right, sorry, the photographer said it was a moth. ah well, simple mistake. And it's still fluffy and cute.

how can someone can be scared by these! they're beautiful!

How about moth parasitoids?

kawaiiii

posting wasps is okay if you just wanna show off a cute bug, but this is just rude! go to another thread!

What the hell is this ?

And then it died...

I work with invasive moths. AMA

Exactly what I said it is: a moth parasitoid.

sleepy! :3

What do you know about sphinx moths

Acceptable.

Not much. I don't research/work with sphingids.

Why do these fuckers all of a sudden show up at like 12am in my house, when I'm about to go to bed, scare the shit out of me, and then spend 20min trying to kill it because if I leave it alive, I might wake up in the middle of the night with it in my mouth?

can moths recognize faces, and how similar is their social behaviour to mammals? Just wondering because I want to get a moth as a pet and I've heard that some of the longer living insects can be semi-affectionate.

i see these around my place from time to time. apparently, like many moths, they don't have mouths. their whole adult life, which only lasts seven days, is solely dedicated to mating.

You need to relax, moths are your friends and generally mind their own business.

>and then spend 20min trying to kill it
It can't hurt you! That's mean! It was probably just confused by some artificial lights.

Lepidopterans, in general, use pheromones to recognize individuals. So, I'd say "no" to your question of "can moths recognize faces". Many moths are solitary, so their social structure really isn't very comparable to mammals.

>life entirely dedicated to mating
>humps a finger

mhmmmm, yet whenever I ask one out on a date, they've always already got plans for dinner that night.

Are they like a mongol horde or muslim refugees? As far as invasiveness?

maybe I should change my opinion on them. Is it true they eat your clothes?

alright, so they can't recognize faces... but can they recognize people? For example, could you get one to associate you with safety or food?

some can. depends where you live. Though, for the most part, it's not a risk unless you hang-dry your clothing.

"Moths" are highly speciose. Not all are invasive, so as a group, moths are not all invasive. The ones that are invasive tend to have considerable economic and ecological impacts, especially in agricultural systems.

I imagine it would be possible for a moth to become familiarized with a person's scent. Interesting idea. However, habituating them to food may be difficult; the adults of many moth species do not feed.

Ah, right... I feel dumb. I was thinking of a guy's story about his several month old praying mantis, but I forgot how short moths live.

No worries. Still an interesting premise about moths recognizing human scent.

>wake up in the middle of the night with it in my mouth
>in my mouth

How did they can go inside your mouth and why ?

Found this big guy on my machine.

Childhood is idolizing butterflies.

Adulthood is realizing moths are God's cute furry little nincompoop schnooki wooki pookums daww...

what a cutie! thanks for snapping a pic

>dubs speak truth

So a few types eat some of your crops. What kind of moth is not hairy, but is covered in dirt or fine dust. They are smaller than a house fly.

Moth wings are covered in scales, so that's probably the dirt or fine dust you've notice on them. Very small moth species are broadly called "microlepidopterans". Geometridae and tortricidae are two families with many, very small moth species.

lol

Are moths dangerous?

I don't think that's a moth and no

In what way do you mean "dangerous"?

I mean dangerous fuckers like this one

I hate people like you, always trying to find a "deeper meaning".
What the fuck do you think he means by dangerous? He's asking if they can hurt him.

That's a velvet ant, a wingless wasp. Wasps aren't lepidopterans.

Sounds like you carry around a lot of residual anger. Sorry, user. Everything will be OK.