Will he ever make great movies again?

Will he ever make great movies again?
Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood are all excellent, while The Master was a pile of shit made for pretentious cinephiles and Inherent Vice was basically a retarded mix of Chinatown and The Big Lebowski.

You have to admit that Josh Brolin was awesome in Inherent Vice though.

So the moment his films begin to veer towards anything your reptilian brain can't interpret in a completely linear fashion, he's shit?

Have you ever had a moment where you chalked it up to taste, rather than quality?

>x is bad because it's for y
>z is bad because it's basically w

pleb logic

people like you are why overblown pretentious bullshit like the master and only god forgives are 100% guaranteed to have a huge following, because youre so fucking vain you subconsciously convince yourself to love anything that seems 'patrician' at face value, even if social, political or philosophical themes or ideas presented by the movie are buried under a constant stream of needlessly edgy and gratuitously shot and choreographed garbage and they actually have no significance at all in the landscape of film history or even contemporary film history

one on end of the scale, capeshit fans, on the other end, douchebags like you. youre all idiots

Magnolia was overrated trash. The Master was indeed too pretentious and lacked a point beyond "look at how good these actors are."

Inherent Vice is amazing, just don't watch it for the plot

Together with Snyder and Fincher, he's part of the trifecta of pretentious hack filmmakers.

>The Master was indeed too pretentious and lacked a point beyond "look at how good these actors are."

Why do people who are too stupid to understand something always refer to it as "pretentious"?

>stop calling water wet!

Not OP but I agree:
I fucking love Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood

But somewhat I get dissapointed by The Master, not a bad movie at all, it´s wonderfull from tecnical standpoint, but feels cold and distant, same with Inherent Vice.

because to understand it you have to wade through all the pointless dialogue made solely to show off acting chops and grab peoples attention and once you do its about as stimulating as a hamburger

and of course theres people like yoi who will read too far into any ostentatious bullshit like this because youre such a patrician amirite

forgive us for wanting films to have a reason for existing other than 'look look shiny shiny fancy fancy shouty shouty edgy edgy'

ugh movies depress me so much, im going to bed

>Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood

These are his worst movies, though.

>The Master was a pile of shit

The Master is not dificult to understand, It´s "pretentious" not because of the plot (or lack of) but because it tries too hard

>Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood

>VS

>The Master, Inherent Vice.

Not even a Anderson fan and I think you should go to the doctor.

The Master is just so rich in narrative, he made the characters so intimate without even using dialogue to display it. It's my favorite movie. TWWB is a conventional epic drama, great execution. BN and Magnolia are just good, not great. PDL is good as an experimental piece and the other stuff is just mediocre.
IV I just didn't like it, but I understand those who do.

>Magnolia
shit
>Boogie Nights
good
>Punch Drunk Love
very good
>There Will Be Blood
okay
>The Master
great, his best one imo
>Inherent Vice
good

actually bump "Inherent Vice" up to very very good. probably his second best now that I think about it.

The Master and Inherent Vice are brave movies, not necessarily good ones. Punch Drunk Love is more experimental. There Will Be Blood is paint by numbers. Magnolia and Boogie Nights are sophisticated hollywood movies.

It goes like that: watch There Will Be Blood; if you dont like that, found it too long and dry, watch The Master; if you still dont like it because its too slow and nothing happens, then watch Magnolia; and if you don't like even that then watch Boogie Nights.

But The Master is his best and IV was amazing dude, only slightly worse than TWBB

Yep, that is a a bunch of images someone stuck together. Nice Apophenia.
>people like you are why overblown pretentious bullshit like the master and only god forgives are 100%
Don't know why you would put those two together. I'm guessing you haven't watched too many films, and as such have a shallow pool from which to draw your references. Anyway, that's besides the point. The real point is holy shit your comment is the most pretentious thing I have ever read. How did you get all that from my comment?

Do you know what is pretentious? People who decide they know more than they can know about someone from an anonymous comment. Bravo

can we last through the winter

>tries too hard

Can you even explain what this is supposed to mean?

He's a teenager. Trying hard isn't cool man

Only God Forgives is all style over substance, with no substance. The Master is a character study with everything being just amazing: some of the best actors alive giving the best permonances of their careers, a deep analysis of the mechanics of control and power as the thematic spine, literally perfect photography, hypnotic score. I get some people saying it's cold because it's hard to be moved by perfection, perfection is hard to grasp sometimes but the movie is perfect

the water's starting to freeze

> The Master was a pile of shit made for pretentious cinephiles

go kill yourself niggerus faggot

just your average IMDB pleb

>Kevin Smith on Paul Thomas Anderson (specifically, Magnolia):
“I’ll never watch it again, but I will keep it. I’ll keep it right on my desk, as a constant reminder that a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work.”

Hint: if you liked The Master then you should definitely check out Beau Travail.

i hate this lardass but he's right. Magnolia is Anderson's worst.

The master isn't even a difficult film.

It's about a character that is running his entire life. He's running from responsibility, running from things that hurt him in the past, he's unable to deal with any of it until he comes to meet someone that tells him that none of it is his fault and that he can offload all of that responsibility onto things out of his control. The character eventually realizes that this isn't a permanent solution and that the person he thought was a friend is actually exploiting him and everyone else so he decides to actually go and deal with his problems for once in his life.

It's literally the best American movie in over 20 years. Subtle, meaningful, gorgeous. I feel physically ill when people tell me they don't like/get it.

Im a big Pynchon fan and Anderson was true to Inherent Vice. Personally, I think a better adaptation could've been done by a more experimental director, but it was good.

The problem is that the source material isn't very suitable for being made into a mainstream movie. Adapting Pynchon whike staying true to the source is an achievement in itself.

I can't really defend The Master; I don't think it was a good movie. However, it was gorgeous and, while im not sure this counts for anything, I think about certain scenes all the time (Phoenix touching the walls and running back and forth especially). It was an 'Eh' movie with some exceptional sequences.

I think PTA will hit it big again.

I'm going to say it, because no one else will.

He peaked with Magnolia.

And he only got started with Boogie Nights.

Look into your hearts, you know it's true.

For all the good things about There Will Be Blood, it's still an incomplete film.

He will never be great again.

what was the point of amy adams jerking him off at the sink?

Magnolia was his lowest easiest simplest movie. It makes sense why idiots would think it his best.

Hard Eight - 5/10
Boogie Nights - 9/10
Magnolia - 10/10
Punch Drunk Love - 4/10
There Will Be Blood - 6/10
The Master - 4/10
Inherent Vice - 4/10

>Simplest

His films have been getting progressively simpler as he's aged.

Boogie Nights demonstrates a level of technical accomplishment at the very top of American film making. Magnolia is not far off.

Inherent Vice was barely a scratch above good TV.

You watch movies for the plot, and perhaps belong more on /lit/.

Not that user, but

The entire family was caught up in atypical patterns of control. Their whole shtick was a sort of imaginative formalism, by which deviating from standard behaviour was a sign of insight, or even some kind of prescience. It's functionally psychotic behaviour.

So basically, whether it's something she had done before, or something she did for the first time, it was a way to ritualize and/or 'elevated' what would in any other instance simply be a wife telling her husband what to do.

there's no depth to Boogie Nights or Magnolia. That may be due to the actor's performances because Paul Dano and Daniel Day Lewis killed it in There Will Be Blood. Same thing with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix in The Master just far superior performances.

Hey, Kevin. How was Cop Out?

Give up on film now, you're too far gone. Find another board, you're pathetic.

>You watch movies for the plot, and perhaps belong more on /lit/.
Oh cmon m8, Sup Forums hit bottom way before /lit/

2011, please come back to us

PTA is the dictionary definition of entry level cinema. He not only steals from better directors, but he does it without any irony like Tarantino.

I am personally fine with it though. Because through PTA, all these freshmen college students will discover Robert Altman, who was the real deal. They will discover Scorsese, the most important American film director of our time, they will discover Kubrick, and the Coen Bros.

Through Altman, they will discover Renoir, through Kubrick, they will discover Ophuls, Scorsese to Fellini. Suddenly they realize PTA was just a child with no original thoughts in his head, that his films just revolve around quoting better directors while adding epic catch phrases like "I drink your milkshake!" and "Pig fuck!" Really there is no bigger clue in to how meaningless his cinema is when the only thing people discuss when mentioning his movies are 'le epic catch phrases, dude!'

You might say great artist steal, but what Picasso meant by this is that great artists are able to understand what works and manipulate it. PTA merely 'mimics'. This is why it is completely obvious who he is mimicking from film to film.

Who can I discover through The Coen Brothers?

It's pasta user, he has no answers.

What does the master mimic? Just curious.

Hard Eight - 3/10
Boogie Nights - 7/10
Magnolia - 6/10
Punch Drunk Love - 5/10
There Will Be Blood - 8/10
The Master - 9/10
Inherent Vice - 7/10

>tries too hard
To do what, exactly?

How is TWBB incomplete?
>He will never be great again.
He made The Master

Hard Eight - 3/5
Boogie Nights - 2/5
Magnolia - 3/5
Punch Drunk Love - 4/5
There Will Be Blood - 1/5
The Master - 0/5
Inherent Vice - 1/5

why do you even like PDL though?

he just went on a pure kino streak and had to take a break,his return to kino is again with DDL and i think it's about the fashion industry?

Ah he's alright, give him a break. He's doing pretty well these days.