Underrated Bands

I want to expand my music collection, in order to do so I need new bands/artists that are either not well known or underground.

Examples are:
>Issues (rock/alternative)
>Jonathan Coulton (folk)
>Hands Like Houses (alt.)
>Dangerkids (rock)
>Me With Creeps (heavy metal)
>Benefit (rap)

The less people listen to them the more I want to know. Just please...
>music you enjoy
>catchy is also fine
>bands or artists
>rap, hip-hop & R&B just as long as its underground or not widely known
>chill, relaxing music is also accepted and appreciated
>jazz/soul
>alternative is highly accepted and appreciated
>rock and classic rock
>metal/heavy metal (NO DEATH METAL)

Again I am Searching for underrated bands or artists

HIM

Bring me the Horizon

Fever Nest (Black Metal/Hardcore Punk)
Cromagnon (Avant Garde Rock)
Joe Meek (Space Age Pop)
Les Blousons Noirs (Garage Rock
The Holy Modal Rounders (Experimental Folk Rock)
The Fugs (Experimental Folk Rock)
Jackson C. Frank (Folk Rock/Blues)
Bruce Haack (Early Electronic Music, Avant-Garde)
Procul Harum (Progressive Rock)
Jacula (Italo-Prog)
Annexus Quam (Jazz Rock)
The Master Musicians of Jajouka (spelled JAJOUKA, this is important, there are two different groups with nearly the same name from the same village in morocco, world music, trance, drumming, traditional folk)
Trad, Gras, och Stenar (Swedish Jam Band/Prog Rock/Folk Rock)
Parson Sound (prog rock)
Antonius Rex (Members of Jacula)
Mort Garson (Progressive Electronic)
Archaia (Electronic Zeuhl)
Aksak Maboul (Avant-Garde Prog Rock)
Walias Band (Ethio-Funk)
KINO (Russian Post-Punk/New Wave)
Art Zoyd (Rock In Opposition)
The Dicks (Hardcore Punk)
Howlin' Wolf (Blues/Droning Blues)
Cul de Sac (Drone Rock)
The Del Byzanteens (No Wave/Post Punk)
Harry Pussy (Noise Rock)
Pram (Post Rock)
I have more but I cannot reveal all my secrets

Virtual Riot (glitch hop)
Linsey Stirling (violin goddess)
Bad Suns (alternative)
99 Knocks (Smooth/catch Alternative)
Brad Sucks (Folk/comedy)
Asking Alexandria (metal/rock)
The Axis of Awesome (comedy)
Papoose (rap)
Outline In Color (heavy metal)
PVRIS (alternative/smooth rock)
As It Is (alternative)
Rehab (rap/hip-hop)
Oliver Heldens (house music)
RÜFÜS DU SOL (electronic)

I think you'd like The Contortionist, but probably only their album Language. They are primarily a death metal band, but Language really lets shine the Pat Metheny influence they claim to have.

For something just stupid fun in rock, I would say Valient Thorr. Sure one song was on guitar hero 2, but that didn't mean shit to their popularity.

For rap, if you haven;t listened to early '00 Aesop Rock, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I don't know if this one is considered alternative, but give the polish band Spiral a listen. They are completely out of place in my music library, but I love this band and their technique.

>Howlin' Wolf
>obscure

Ananta - In Media Res

I'm sorry to burst both your bubbles but those bands are pretty well known.

YES!!! This is what I have been looking for but I love your taste, got anymore by any chance? This is really good.

>looks in to it...
wow this is actually amazing
Also would love to hear more band/artist suggestions from you.
>listens to Spiral
>Instantly falls in love after listening to the beginning of their album Urban Fable
Definitely has a Pink Floyd undertone.

>implying anyone on Sup Forums can name a single blues artist

I have a few more, but I do primarily listen to death metal, so I don't have much more than these:

DispersE - another polish band that is well worth a listen. I think they are the most accessible "djent" music out there.

Skyharbor - These guys have gained decent popularity, but their album Guiding Lights is gold. If you don't like screaming though, stay away from the three Chaos songs in their album Blinding White Noise. The Illusion set is good tho.

One of my absolute favourite progressive rock/metal bands is Pain of Salvation. Though I'm pretty sure they are quite popular outside the US. Any one of their albums is gold. The subject matter in their albums are pretty heavy though. The album Remedy Lane is particularly depressing.

Anathema - this one is a pretty good doom metal band. Their albums Alternative 4 and Weather Systems are my favourites.

Art by Numbers - I feel this band could be the next Queen in their orchestration. Though they do lose a little magic when they go full post-hardcore.

The Safety Fire - their vocalist can be a little heavy handed, but their chord structure is amazing. I have been in love with these guys since I listened to the song Huge Hammers.

Sithu Aye - I don't know how you feel about instrumental artists, but this guy is awesome. He is a self proclaimed 'happy metal' artist. A couple of his albums are spacey in theme, but his recent work has been weeb as fuck.

>Sup Forums defines obscurity
lel

If you think you'd like a bit of a goofy indie pop band, check out Tally Hall. Their first studio album is pretty comedic, but the second one is more serious and focused. They don't have a lot, but I think what they have it pretty enjoyable.

Have A Good Season (emo/alt rock)

They're on Spotify if you guys don't feel like searching YouTube

ABBA

pls

Pretty sure a group with their own museum is hardly underrated.

Just listened to like 2 minutes of each and must say these are really good bands for a person who listens to mostly heavy metal.
>I thank you for your awesome musical input

>ABBA
You're kidding right?

>The less people listen to them the more I want to know
why?

Why not? Good bands need more listeners and fans. With how much is available out there, popularity isn't a direct correlation to good anymore.

That's my take at least. I dunno how OP sees it.

Go listen to some J.A. Seazer. The lack of Japanese music from your post is quite disturbing.

>popularity isn't a direct correlation to good anymore
agreed. however at popularity levels below the highest extreme (radio hits etc) i don't think the correlation is negative -- more like 0. however this alone doesn't suggest that you should listen to the most obscure music you can.
>good bands need more listeners and fans
agreed insofar as this means supporting the artist. if you're buying music from these obscure bands and going to their shows and encouraging friends to do the same, good on you. maybe hyping them on social media or even Sup Forums helps too. but if not, what is the value of another listener?

my personal strategy is to try to ignore popularity. however when finding new music this is a bit of a paradox since more popular stuff is more likely to be recommended. i find this approach frustrating a lot of the time but i don't think going full obscurity-worship is the solution.

That's why I like using last.fm

Their recommendations seem to be a little more varied. That and getting myself into a youtube hole.

yeah, i've noticed that a lot of the similar artists on obscure pages are also obscure. i wonder if their algorithm uses obscurity level directly as something to recommend based on. a simple program based on listeners' most common shared scrobbles would create an upward flow in popularity.