I've been getting into ambient music lately and I'm really into it but I can't help but think of this question I'm...

I've been getting into ambient music lately and I'm really into it but I can't help but think of this question I'm about to ask

What differentiates legitimately good ambient songs/albums from "backpambient" ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/05/brian-eno-tells-the-origin-story-for-ambient-music/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

generally "backpambient" kinda stuff doesn't grow or move, and doesn't really have themes. people mistake ambient music as just being "sounds" or whatever, but if your ambient music isnt saying anything, or moving at all, it's probably not good. some level of structure or theme can usually be divined from ambient music if it's good, so if it feels like nothing, it probably is nothing

this p much, its hard to find decent ambient stuff but its out there if you look for it

Like all music OP it's completely up to you to differentiate. If you can't just follow rym ratings for the Sup Forums drone experience.

This so much

I have never had sex.

100% this for me. If the song doesn't go anywhere it gets old instantly for me

all music is not equally good, this is a tired, haggard meme at this point. just because music is subjective doesn't mean we can't assess or determine its quality at all. visual art is subjective too, but if I poorly draw Apple Jacks rule34 on the back of a cocktail napkin it's not as good as Guernica. Sloppy, tackily rhymed couplets by middle schoolers are not as good as Ozymandias. you can like whatever you like, good or bad, but your individual preference is not the only arbiter of quality.

got any recommendations?

tiddies xD

Brian Eno, the person who created ambient music literally said ambient music isn't to be actively listened to, it's background music. So you're literally all, objectively wrong

>Brian Eno, the person who created ambient music
Get a load of this guy

synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/05/brian-eno-tells-the-origin-story-for-ambient-music/

There you go pleb. Move along now.

Lemmy said that nothing Motorhead ever did was metal but nobody listened to him either

This proves literally nothing

So much this

nice job on the spunk
a lil too blue doe

signal boost

who is this semon demon

Cluster and Tangerine Dream were doing ambient years before Eno. And there were earlier precedents with Terry Riley, etc.

Also naming something doesn't mean you get to have the last word in defining what it is and isn't.

I think stasis is fine as long as what's happening is interesting enough to start with, and it isn't long enough to get boring.

But form is a shortcoming with a lot of contemporary electronic shit. I think there's too much emphasis on performance and improvisation, not enough on form and composition. If you think ambient, noise or drone is somehow easy mode, you're probably ignoring these things.

can someone post an example of 'backpack ambient'?

forget it, it's meaningless

this. help a nigga out here

nvm boys I found her
>Best guess for this image: olivia kenning
More like Olivia Kumming tbqh.