modern vampires of the city
the epic

there's 5 off the top of my head, who wants more

it would be if he didn't die

They're quite overrated, but not more overrated than blackstar

other way around

wew lad you've got shit taste

Mbdtf is pretty good as a pop rap album

Do people really rate modern vampires that highly? It's not a bad album obviously but I never see people talk about it as a favorite of theirs.

Agree with the others

how so?

I wouldn't mind Lazarus being rated so highly if the entire album wasn't also. Lazarus is pretty alright and the whole "he knew he didn't have long left" aspect works really well. The title track is good too.

>other way around
How so? It quite literally completes the concept.

>muh circumstances
you know that it's the music board, right?

art does not exist in a vacuum

it was k. I got into vampires of the weekend at the beginning of highschool but can't enjoy their shit anymore really.

you literally said nothing right here

>what is DAMN.

having lyrics that fit some circumstances doesn't mean it's not overrated, he's not a great lyricist anyway.
music wise this album is a turd, the only song that is somewhat interesting is the title song, but only because of that quirky beat change that was used before even by Beyonce.
this shitty pop album does not deserve to be rated that high.

Contrarian, The Thread.

YAS QUEEN

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

deep

david bowie is and always has been trash

as a whole project this is actually quite unique

i really wish the song no plan was included in Blackstar

It's only a year old and we've still got two and a half years to go in this decade. I'd say it's too early to say how this album will be rated amongst everything else of the 2010s.

>halcyon digest

No, it's fucking god tier.

I disagree.

You're conflating all the attention that the album and David Bowie's death got at the time of his death and the subsequent celebration of Bowie's life with the ACTUAL critical response to the album itself.

If Bowie hadn't died and all the talk about his career and discography and Blackstar's place in it was an ongoing conversation, the critical response and people's appraisal of it still wouldn't be any different than what it is.

>If Bowie hadn't died and all the talk about his career and discography and Blackstar's place in it was an ongoing conversation, the critical response and people's appraisal of it still wouldn't be any different than what it is.
wrong
it would be acclaimed, but not as much as it is

this album is garbage

>this album is garbage

It literally isn't though. It's very good, a bit short. Hardly a bad thing. Short and sweet.

It's better than half of Bowie's discography, it's good.

Blackstar is pretty much forgotten dude.
Kanye is the most overrated artist of all time.

>listens to rap
>thinks it's music

It literally is though. Shitty pop imitarion of some actually great rock albums. It makes me sad that this thing even exists.

imitation*

Your head isn't on straight.

is this a projection or just an assumtion based on nothing?

>tfw you can't say anything more, but you're bitter as fuck

rather not waste my time with a clown

>is it overrated?
Yes.

>is it good?
Yes. 8/10, easy.

but you do waste

>>is it good?
>Yes. 8/10, easy.
reddit leaks again

Newfag get out

Reminder that if you argue art solely on terms like "overrated" or "underrated", you don't actually care about the art

>calling someone newfag for shitting on some shit pop album
reddit get out

Will we admit that music is subjective yet

Newfag here!
>sees people complaining about Reddit on this board too
>sadface.jpg

Absolutely not. It's one of the most vital pop records ever. The content of nearly every other pop or rock record is trite in comparison.

the worst opinion ITT
waste of trips

Most assertive get there is in this thread. Name another album about anything remotely as important happening to the artist.

You have to listen to it as a pop-jazz fusion album, the interplay of Bowie and sax makes it.

t. someone who hates the sax player

What is? You didn't post an album cover, you posted a picture of a star with David Bowie's face on it. I believe you are talking about "Blackstar" by David Bowie, however I cannot be sure of this because you did not post the album cover, thus I nor anyone else can participate in this conversation.

Stop right there.

>bowie
>artist
kek's
all his music was wrote by his producers and musicians he hired, especially Tony Visconti
he was just a popstar

holy shit i meant kek'd

It's overrated perhaps, but that doesn't stop it from being good

If you care about the response more than the music, you have no business talking about music

>It's overrated perhaps, but that doesn't stop it from being good
yeah, but it's shit anyway

Bowie is a singer songwriter. He's a talented pianist who would write out the sheet music for the bands he'd hire. The piano to life on mars alone was next level at the time. After establishing cred and self producing diamond dogs he could hire any musician he wanted to be in his band to make his singer songwriter tunes better. He was a true collaborator. Now his fans understand this- that his talent was sitting at the piano and writing instrumentation and lyrics, but plebs see him as rod Stewart instead of Neo-Donovan.

>The piano to life on mars alone was next level at the time
the other way around
youtube.com/watch?v=33e7POGGtLA
this was recorded 20 years before that song

>Bowie is a singer songwriter
so is beyonce, she also can play piano

That was certainly experimental, but it in no way negates the ability required to conceive of and play life on mars. But I'll stop taking you seriously because you've revealed yourself to be a "muh experimentation" 2014 holdover.

If it's the only album you've ever listened to, sure.

>The piano to life on mars alone was next level at the time
>I'll stop taking you seriously because you've revealed yourself to be a "muh experimentation" 2014 holdover
how could one person be so autistic

>a genre-hopping concept album that has 2 versions, one of which is a whole film
>not unique
did you even know what that thing is?

Wrong

do you think channel orange was better?

>genre-hopping
Wow yeah she's totally the first person to attempt multiple genres (plottwist: it's actually all pop with slightly different flavorings on top)
>concept album
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^)
>2 versions, one of which is a whole film
Yeah certainly nobody ever did that before

>Wow yeah she's totally the first person to attempt multiple genres
this is not about only one named aspect

>>concept album
>: ^^^^^^^^^^^^)
what does this imply?

>2 versions, one of which is a whole film
Yeah certainly nobody ever did that before
examples?

>pls spoonfed me
Listen to some more music before posting here again kiddo

I did, but I also wasn't terribly impressed with Channel Orange. Frank has a good voice, but otherwise never clicked with me. He's definitely talented, but I don't think he's deserving of the amount of praise heaped on him. It's weird that I don't like him more. Most of my favorite albums are art pop or progressive pop.

so you cant prove me wrong
that's fine

i sort of agree with you, his production is always pretty weak with the exception probably being pyramids.

nice reverse logic, stay pleb and listen to your shitty color-by-numbers pop

>still not proving me wrong
that's fine

Pyramids is the one Frank track I think is legitimately great. I wish he'd make more things in that vein.

>being this desperate to be spoonfed
Maybe if you ask one more time

that's fine if you can't but why do you keep replying me then?

also asking to give some actual arguments is not what trying to be spoonfed is

no it isn't

That's your opinion
An opinion I disagree with

Bowie is fucking dead
fuck, man

absolute retard

>why do you keep replying me then
Because it's honestly funny to see people who think they know anything about music trying to sound smart.
And it is, asking for examples when they're so obvious that anyone here should know them.

>it's honestly funny to see people who think they know anything about music trying to sound smart
it's funny to see your replies, indeed

>asking for examples when they're so obvious that anyone here should know them.
they're so obvious that you don't even know about them, huh?

>No you!
top-tier arguments user, you should add a smug anime girl the next time. You're blending in already!

the album is actually a good shitter avant-teen filter

They literally don't get it

the other way around,
avant-teens think this piece of pop garbage is experimental music and avant-garde

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-bowie/★-_blackstar_/
>Genres: Experimental Rock
>Descriptors: avant-garde

TPaB is fucking amazing, what is this contrarian meme.

I cried I wont lie

too soon m8

I'm apparently one of the few that still thinks Blackstar is a masterpiece.

>Because it's honestly funny to see people who think they know anything about music trying to sound smart.

so what instruments do you play? what's your favorite classical piece?

the initial response to the album was fairly balanced. most of the hype after his death was a bit ridiculous.

Kill yourself

loooool you got btfo bro

it's his best album since the berlin trilogy

TIS A PITY SHE WAS A WHORE

ITT: Idiots that don't know about Scott Walker

>dies on sunday
>WHERE THE FUCK DID MONDAY GO

bowiefags are vicious