Mfw i used to be really into lossless music

>mfw i used to be really into lossless music
>now most of my music collection is too big to fit on my phone
>have to convert or redownload everything to mp3

>listening to music on a phone
I bet you also use earbuds/earphones

You don't have to fit EVERYTHING of your music collection on your phone at all times. Just make a selection, and change it up every once in a while. That's what I do. I unload and load songs all the time.

Do you take your hi-fi set on public transportation or something?

no, I don't listen to music outside, because that's fucking stupid
also using earbuds is just retarded

>Not setting up an FTP server to host all your music on and download onto your phone as needed
Kys

>I don't listen to music outside, because that's fucking stupid
Great argument.

>be careless about personal safety isn't stupid

I guess it's fucking stupid if you never leave the house in the first place like you do, right? But some people have dayjobs where they leave the house early in the morning and come back at like 8 in the evening. After that they still have to eat dinner, so only an hour or two remains after that where you could focus on listening to music. I won't bother talking earbuds with you, it's personal preference. But I can't use headphones in public because of my hairdo.

Can you guys redpill me on the lossless music thing? All of my music is either mp3s or m4as. How do i turn them into flacs so they sound better?

>I won't bother talking earbuds with you, it's personal preference
I guess. It's a personal preference to hurt your own hearing.

Then stop listening to music lmao

OP here
yeah I've come to terms with the fact that i can't have everything, i pretty much do the same thing you described in your post, but it was pretty ridiculous with FLAC. I tend to focus on one artist at a time, so if i wanted, say, a handful of Miles Davis albums, i'd only be able to have those albums and nothing else. 320kbps MP3s are a good compromise.

music can hurt you only if you don't know how to listen to it

worrying too much about fidelity will worsen your listening experience more than any actual file format ever will

who the fuck needs their entire collection on their phone?

The sound quality won't be any better if you convert mp3 to flac.

no, i listen to my music out loud while i'm in public, because i'm a fucking animal

>what is headphones

>not listening to sounds of the world

anything over 320 mp3 is snake oil. you can't upscale quality. don't listen to anything below 250~mp3 quality

there is literally zero difference between 320 mp3 and flac and anyone who tells you otherwise is bullshitting

Jonny Greenwood on In Rainbows being released in 160kbps:

"We had a few complaints that the MP3s of our last record wasn't encoded at a high enough rate. Some even suggested we should have used FLACs, but if you even know what one of those is, and have strong opinions on them, you're already lost to the world of high fidelity and have probably spent far too much money on your speaker-stands."

audiophiles B T F O

>lossless
>phone

Anything higher than CD quality doesn't really matter unless you're using the audio industrially.

this interview changed my life

>thinks that in any universe you could possibly have a fucking phone's DAC make lossless files sound any different than an mp3

mp3s and the like degrade over time
FLAC isn't necessarily better quality, it just stays the same quality

>mp3s degrade over time
could you explain this? is it as bad as it sounds? the idea freaks me out desu

Should probably clarify, when I say most of my music collection won't fit on my phone, i don't mean my entire collection at once, i mean any given selection won't fit on my phone

>living in a ghetto

never mind, just googled this. fuck this board. fuck this website. fuck me

>tfw I downloaded all of GY!BE and Death Grip's discogs in FLAC a year ago and now my phone has less than a gig of free space

what do you mean 'fuck this board' friendo? Was about to reply to (You), found this
>Lossy compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality. This is in contrast with lossless data compression, where data will not be lost via the use of such a procedure.

So every time you import/export mp3, JPEG and other lossy files you lose a little bit. But t b h you probably won't notice unless you have high end audiophile equipment.

However, I did find my old iPod mini from '08 or something and everything sounded completely flat so you should keep FLAC files on your computer or other kind of storage unit and just keep mp3s on your phone or whatever as they take up way less storage.

>download flac
>convert flac to V2 mp3 for mobile listening
>store on phone

can't think of a better way.

anyone know how Spotify fares in regards to FLAC/mp3/streaming?
>When I stream on my phone do I get a FLAC og mp3 file and what about Spotifys own archive?
>If I download for offline listening what file type will it be in and would it be smarter to stream to ensure maximum quality?

Are you using the audio jack on your phone? Then it could be 192kbps and you wouldn't know the difference.

yeah I am. Thought about investing in a DAC or amp, which would be more beneficial? Or is there nothing I can do to improve the quality coming from my phone?

Honestly unless you want to keep your phone in a backpack while you're outside I wouldn't bother.

you're all a bunch of fucking gay nerds

What about something like a Fiio amp?
but thanks for the advice m8

thats the worst counter argument ever. Maybe if youre riding a bike or something but otherwise LOL

>Really into lossless music

What? So that's what you prioritize in your music over anything else

Probably good if you use your PC's audiojack, the $50-60 ones are certainly better. I'm not sure of the specifics on using it for a phone though.

They don't degrade lol

>So every time you import/export mp3, JPEG and other lossy files you lose a little bit.
This is the key bit right here
Just having an MP3 sitting on a hdd or something will not degrade it, your hdd will break before anything