Sleep paralysis thread

Sleep paralysis thread.

Have you ever had them? A paranormal phenomenon or a glitched brain? Any tips on how to avoid them?

On my personal experience:
I've had sleep paralysis since I was 14, I'm now 18. For me it's like my soul has been detached from my body which rests inert while experiencing hallucinations. Whether or not this hallucinations are brain made or not I can't tell, but it really feels like being attacked by malevolent entities that suck your vital energy. I even had one where I felt raped. Once you finally manage to 'wake up' from that paralysis state you can feel headaches, muscular tiredness, dizziness and a 'foggy' brain. Some of this paralysis have been very hard for me: sleep schedule completely fucked, really hard images to see, feeling abducted, fear, paranoia, etcetera.

Never had it before, but my mind always fucks with me. I want to see what the experience would be like through a well produced and funded documentary, or from someone else. I'm always scared to try it and I probably never will. What's it like op?

Had that happen to me one time in class after I hadn't slept for a couple days. That shit sucks man.

>scare to try it
Well you don't exactly choose it to happen, it just happens.

>What's it like op?
Read my post.

Elaborate on your experience user.

I have it frequently but and when it happens it feels like I'll be in it for an infinite amount of time. It only occurs when my mind and body conflict when I go to sleep. Like, if I don't want to go to sleep but I accidentally fall asleep or if I try to make myself go to sleep when I'm not tired. In school I would finish my tests really early so I'd put my head down and I would wake up but my body is still sleeping. And I'll hear strange noises. And its fucking exhausting to try and wake myself up, which when I wake up, I'm scared to fall back asleep so I end up accidentally going back to sleep and having it again. I have to get up and not go to sleep because if I keep laying down I'll be in a sleep paralysis continuum.

you're not alone, I dealt with it for a decade, I started thinking i was going crazy. I wasn't. be careful, get help now.

^It was basically this but i think there were cats.

Same thing for me. A trick I've found is to sit up after an episode and make sure I'm awake. After 2 or 3 minutes I can lay back down and sleep just fine.

>It only occurs when my mind and body conflict when I go to sleep.
Spot on, It's called cataplexy and it's linked to narcolepsy. Kinda fucked up tbqh.

I've had serious problems with sleep paralysis since I was 14. I used to have vivid dreams of demons taking my body and throwing it aroudn the room. Ive had so many but Im 25 now. last one i had was a few months ago. they were much more occurrent a few years ago. about one a night.

It seems to me that it is more frequent among adolescents, dunno why.

have a friend who gets it regularly, sees a little boy standing beside his bed just smiling at him

that seems to be the age it stops (roughly)

probably hormones tbh

I have this also. 3/4 times a year

Since I was around 13-14, I'm 18 now. It sucks and happens everytime I lay on my back and try to sleep. My brain for some reason will pump pure fear into me even if its not inherently scary or anything. But it feels like I'm asleep in real life. Hard to explain. One time I managed to mumble my sisters name and she heard me do it, I couldn't tell if it was a dream or if I really did it. Sometimes I'll hear things, and if I don't get up or roll when my body can move, I'm fucked until I do. But it's hard because I can't focus and my body just wants to sleep.

"The Nightmare" is on Netflix and Amazon. Not the best docu but it covers the phenomena pretty well.

I've learned to sleep on my sides, stopped it altogether, scary shit cause I would have the ones where they're choking me and my girl would somehow hear me and always wake me up, been sleeping on side ever since and thank God hasn't happened again

It really sucks but I've found that sleeping with a low wattage lamp takes care of the problem. Also don't eat or drink anything but water 2-3 hours before sleep.
Not sure if that will help you but its worth a shot.

I always sleep on my sides but it's still happening. Glad to hear it worked for you though, user.

They're a brain glitch and I know a specific cocktail that can cause them pretty much without fail. You need 2 mg of Xanax, some dream root and codeine. You chew the dream root all day for 2 days then go off it, and to sleep the night you go off it you take codeine and Xanax. Small dose of codeine. Don't pull a Heath Ledger and get Sup Forums blamed. Anyway you will wake up before the chemical which your body produces to keep you from sleep walking wears off, by like an hour. This is an extremely unpleasant experience. I did it once, and then being an idiot I did it a second time to see if the combination caused it. I've taken all of these things by themselves and I've taken Xanax with codeine before. It's the going off dreamroot plus the drugs that does it.

I have it on occasions that I don't sleep in a bed (i.e sleeping at a desk). I learned to recognize it, so I am not as fearful as I once was.

Quit drugs user.

I think you stop dreaming as much the older you get

I woke up and i couldn't move for like a minute, but nothing happened aside from that

>Sleep paralysis

I frequently have the body feeling of paralysis while dreaming. It's one of the ways I can distinguish dream from reality. Not frightening at all. Consciousness includes both ordinary wakefulness which is externally-oriented and dream consciousness which is internally-oriented. As you might guess, this is related to lucid dreaming.

I usually play a game when I'm first in this state. "Where is my body?" I can usually figure out what position my body posture is in and figure out if I'm in bed, feel asleep on the couch, etc.

As long as you realize there are multiple distinct states of consciousness, this should not be frightening at all.