CD or Vinyl?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0174UNYWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

vinyl

Digital made CD redundant, vinyl records have the novelty factor.

vinyl

Both are outdated at this point as You can just download everything. If you want to collect something records are much cooler.

Cd also have a novelty factor, any physical form of music is a novelty these days. Cd is also way easier for independent artists to produce, same with cassette I guess.

Records seem to be more novel, considering the size and how much longer it's been in the music world than CDs.

Vinyl has colored sound. CD is more accurate.

My record player is pretty shitty so I don't collect a lot of records. I like cds cause I can have a physical copy of the music while also having the convenience of being able to rip a digital copy. And if something happens to my harddrive I still have a physical copy of the album that I payed for.

Here CDs are still horribly overpriced.
Sometimes the difference between a cd and a vinyl record is just 6 dollars so I mostly get records now for the novelty factor for albums I really love.

Most of my music listening and discovering is done via digital though

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.
I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did

What

personally vinyl since it's neat to have if i'm gonna waste money on physical media

objectively speaking probably CD since it can get a more accurate sound (given the right masters) that doesn't degrade with use

Nice meme. At least that's what I'm hoping this is. I highly doubt it works like that.

Digital > Vinyl > CD

this tho

Why does that cd look like it was taken off the yeezus album cover?

B I T R O T

Vinyl, with Yeezus being the only exception

I buy both. Vinyl is my preference for the better artwork presentation but if it's too rare or expensive, is a known dud pressing, it simply isn't on vinyl or some other deal-breaking issue then I'll just buy the CD.

I feel better owning a good vinyl copy since I know I definitely don't have to worry about the possibility of disc rot, even though that's pretty unlikely anyway. I have developed a bit of a nostalgic fondness for CDs, though. It's where I started with music, and I was away from owning hard copies for a good 7 years or so. Kinda brought me back in a way.

Pic related.

this

No. It is infintely preferable to have a physical object than to have a series of disembodied computer files.

If you just want to listen to music with the maximum accessibility and convenience, sure.

If you like to own physical items with artwork and booklets, as well serving as a lossless quality backup, not even close.

QUESTION for VINYL friends:

I'm trying to get an old turntable in working order. I bought a new needle advertised for the model I have, but the new needle cartridge is WAY too big to fit into the adapter at the end of the arm. How can I find the original adapter? What are they called?

I'm currently sifting through vinyl forums and such, thought I'd ask my favorite Creole Copper Etching website

would help if you posted:

>turntable
>cartridge
>pic

Panasonic Technics SL-B100
No clue what the cartridge installed is
Think I'm looking for a P-mount, and I've found a couple on Amazon. Alternatively, I've already bought this needle:
amazon.com/gp/product/B0174UNYWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't figure out what sort of adapter it installs to, but the item description implies that it should fit on the factory default setup

Alternatively, I've already bought this needle *and I can buy an adapter to go with it:*

oh lmao i thought you actually bought a cartridge. if the installed cartridge doesn't have a label and isn't original the new needle probably won't work with it

what you want is a new cartridge probably. just pick up a AT92ECD/AT90CD and plop it in unless you want something fancier. your turntable is a P-Mount so all you need to do is unscrew the old one, take it out, put the new one in, and screw it back in.

I certainly don't want to do anything fancy haha I'm hooking it up to some old ass amp & speakers.

Thanks for the info senpai I super appreciate it. Any idea whether or not the needle i listed will connect to either of the new cartridges? It looks totally different from anything shown in any of the diagrams / photos. I'm about to hit YouTube, you don't have to spoonfeed me haha.

yeah that needle ~probably~ won't fit the cartridges but idk

the cartridges come with perfectly good needles at any rate. no need to replace em until they break

albums on vinyl look cooler, otherwise there is really no reason to buy them, unless we are talking about early pressings of albums recorded and released before the digital age. If you can find a mint or near mint copy, they usually sound better, but not because the format itself is superior. They just had a better mastering job.

yeah I'm going to try to return the stylus I have. Thanks for the help m8 have a nice night.

faggot thread

Vinyl. Like all of new vinyl albums comes with a digital download card lol.

CD.

Vinyl's a fucking gimmick and money pit for hipsters and elitist trash these days.

if it's something i'll listen to in my car a lot then CD

if it's something i'll listen to more at home (while cleaning, painting, or for active listening, etc.) then vinyl