Well, since auto is no help. Hoping Sup Forums can provide some knowledge

Well, since auto is no help. Hoping Sup Forums can provide some knowledge.

I'm very new to motorcycle riding, fresh off the license. I got a CBR500r as a gift from my father.

Here's the thing, I don't like it too much.

I'm not fond of the "sport" style of motorcycles, and I live in Brazil where the roads are not friendly. Personally, I wanted something more trail or offroad. So I told my father and he told me to pick a bike so I could trade mine in.

I had my eyes on the XRE 300 adventure
>pic provided

Here is the thing. I'm about 5'7.
People tell me the XRE is tall, would leave me at tiptoe value on stops, while the CBR I can put my foot ALMOST completely down. It bothers me a bit. I did practice all my riding on a CG 160 which is about the same as my CBR, so it is not too bad. However, being tip toe on a XRE worries me. There are a lot of curved roads and steep inclines where I could "step on air".

My father, who is experienced, told me that a "taller" bike was perfect for dealing with any terrain and giving me a smoother ride. And that within a months time of riding I'd be used to the height regardless of location or stop.

What do you guys think? Is the XRE a good bike? any other suggestions for a off-road/trail type. Nothing expensive though. The XRE comes in at about 18k in Brazil. My CBR at 23. I want something less than 20k. Speed is irrelevant, I am more interested in weight, stability and torque. I go to SP a lot, and there are a whole lot of steep hills there. I need the torque to get through them without killing myself.

Feel free to share any sage advice. I'm a serious noobie with bikes/types/ect,

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XT660Z_Ténéré
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a cbr is one of the best bikes you can get and you got it as a gift.

I just... don't dig the sport look.
I used to go mountain biking, you know? I like that kind of stuff. Not speed. terrain challenging.

I'm 5'7" and had a KLR650 for years. Would recommend. Your balance will improve with practice.

There's also a 250 version that's obviously lighter and easier to handle.

It's the same thing my father keeps saying, I was just worried is all.
Still new to it, so the size is intimidating.

I'm going to definitely take a look at the 250 as well though.

Thanks for the recommendation and suggestion.

any offroad bike will feel very tall compared to a sport bike. This is just something you will have to get used to.

Most bikes have some height adjustment via preload on the rear spring, and sometimes you can get a different seat that is lower as well. I'm not super familiar with the xre as it's not available in canada, but I'm sure if you ask the dealership they can help you in the right direction in terms of adjusting it to your height so you are more comfortable.

Oh, I didn't know I could adjust it.
I figured it was that height for the sake of balance and shock absorption. If that's the case, I'll ask the dealer about it tomorrow.

My first bike was a Suzuki DR650. I've since had a half dozen other bikes (other duals and one supersport) now I'm back to the DR650. I don't think I'll want a different bike as long as I live

Why is that?

The DR isn't available here in Brazil. Actually, a lot of the best bikes from all retailers are unavailable here, besides Honda that is.
This whole place is a huge scam. They sell a bike or car claiming it's 2017 model when it's 2016. Then sell the 2017 model and claim it's the 2018 model. Just to jack up prices.

>CBR
>Best bike you can get

Pick one

get a dual sport over 400cc

true

For the type: off-road/trail

c'mon man.

>dual sport
What would you recommend?

I like 2 stroke 250's because they're so fast but not much top speed. They're for dirt biking not the road.

i couldn't personally recommend anything but if it helps i have a 2017 drz400e and its pretty good minus the lack of any storage

Speed I don't care for.
Here in Brazil you'll rarely hit any high range with all the speed traps, plus the roads are often shit condition.

The one thing this place has is great fields for off-roading, which is where the interest of off or trail bikes come in.

That's a damn good looking bike. Honda has something similar in the 250 range like the one I showed a pic of above. Storage aint much a problem since I'll be throwing the thing around for fun.

i'm shocked you aren't trying to board up your windows and stockpile food since your country is in shambles. fucking idiot, kys.

A. not my country
B. We invested in US realestate and get dollar income. So we can afford to stay away from "those" places
C. Trump is running america, fuck outta here.

i was actually gonna get a kawasaki klx250 but i needed the top end for highway speed

20k sounds like so much money for what youre looking for, are dirt bikes that expensive?

If you bought a brand new cr250 you'd have so much fun on that thing.

ktm 690 if you're rich and pay for maintenance
klr 650 if you are poor or like to perform your own maintenance.

Both are great bikes. Both street legal but great offroad. The ktm is like a 60 hp dirt bike, light and incredibly powerful. The klr is a workhorse, mainly a street bike with improved suspension it can take a beating, last 80k miles, and handle just about any terrain albeit slower than a more offroad oriented bike. It is however more comfortable on the highway and has more room for storage.

Another great option that we do not have here in the us is the 650 tenere. The specs and price are both great but I have no hands on experience.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XT660Z_Ténéré

Also a bit fucked up that your dad buys you an entire bike and you complain that it isn't good enough and want a new one.

I guess nowadays the old 2 stroke 250's are 300's

Yamaha WR250r is best dualsport bike, but pricey.
DRZ400 is also pretty good but also pricey.
Kawasaki KLX 250 and CRF250 are pretty equal in price and performance.

As for having to tip toe when stopped to hold bike up, don't worry to much about it, it's a dirt bike, it will be fine if you drop it, and you can lean a bit to flat foot it on one of the sides.

must be nice to just dislike presents and trade them in. some people are happy with what they get and aren't spoiled niggers from 3rd world countries. and no im not going to read your reply, hope you crash your bike and get brain damage.

Ktm 690 - Best in category that money can buy

I was worried about highway, but then I realized it was irrelevant. I'm currently in Santos, there's no chance in fuck all hell I would take any motorcycle to SP. Unless I wanted that fuckin thing stolen.

Mostly I just ride around here, or we take our bikes to a farm over in the south that belongs to a friend of my father.

Anything with a motor here is pretty goddamn expensive. They really lay on the price.
The CR230 here goes for about 13k

Reason I put the price to 20 is because I can trade in my bike to lower the price tag. Or resell it for the same amount and just buy the thing with the spare cash.

I have money for maintenance but would prefer to do it myself. I have a Honda Civic 2016 and do the work on it myself most of the time. Just like working on my own stuff rather than trusting some stranger to fuck the shit up for an extra buck.

The Tenere we do have here, actually. It's just a bit on the expensive side when you look at all the other options.

For the price of a Tenere I could get an MT-03(Bike my father currently has)

That's the tenere we're mentioning above

Well hold on now.
A bike is nothing like a car. You don't just one and "deal with it". If it's not comfortable and appealing to you, than it isn't for you. Because you won't want to ride it as much, or wont ride it with the same confidence.

I rather be up front with him and tell him I appreciated the thought but it was not my type. Than try to ride with it, be uncomfortable, then some day possibly wreck it or simply not give it attention.

It's also turns heads.... which is not good in this country. Subtlety unless you want a gun to the head at a stop light.

Seems that way. I just look at it from a durability perspective rather than needed speed.

I'm the same height and I've had the 250 for 3 years. I had some of the foam shaved off the seat to make it little bit lower, that made it just perfect for me

Well shit, you're right.
It's essentially made to get flat foot leaned when I take a heavy corner, can't be too much a problem at stop. I just hate dropping the bike cause it hurts the pride.

Will be taking a look at your selections though, thank you.

Envy is a terribly thing.

I don't know if they have that one here.
Like I said, the selection in brazil is pretty limited.
Will take a look, I love the color.

Someone above said I might be able to adjust the height at the dealer, so it'll be the same result. Definitely makes me consider it a lot more.

get a wr250x

forget about how tall you're not... check your inside leg - that's where it's going to count.

you only really need to be able to put one foot down, once you get used to doing that you'll wonder why you even worried about it.

>wr250x
they don't have that model here.
They have a "f" version. If it's the same then nevermind, I'll check it out.

Well, on the cbr I can put my foot down.
I just worried cause some roads are uneven, so you end up with this "empty space" if you come to a stop and aren't ready for it. With the cbr I nearly took a fall.

the f model is the full out dirt bike not the motard. its preferred to be able to put both feet down for backing into parking spots as well, just something to keep in mind

True enough, I goddamn forgot that little bit of a factor there.

I can back up on tip toes though, ain't too bad if the bike isn't flat out heavy. I mostly just do the "forward back" motion thing to move mine without having to peddle. Works nicely.

not putting your foot in "air" will come with experience.

shit , i've been riding for years and 4 months ago i found nothing but air under my foot and fell over on my brand new MT-09

I would go yz or cr250. 2 strokes are just so lively but do require a little more maintenance

Get a raptor 600 atv, looks sounds and rides like a absolute monster

That shit happen to me recently on my cbr. Nearly fucking ate it, got lucky enough to be at just the right angle to muscle my way into lifting it upright before the "point of no return" angle came. Scary though.

Speaking of the MT. What's the 09 like? My father rides an 03 and has been for a while. Loves that fuckin thing.

Maintenance isn't much a problem since I enjoy doing it on my own rides. I tend to learn from my father, who also helps out.

Thankfully it's not much a factor, unless it's one of those "prone to break" kind of maintenance deals where I need part replacement at the ready.

ha, atv would be pretty raw. But I intend to ride the bike offroad and to college. Never seen an atv getting ridden in roads in brazil. anything "unique" like that tends to get you robbed right quick.

>I was worried about highway, but then I realized it was irrelevant
Good point, I forget how dangerous and unstable your country is. If highway or distance is a nonissue ignore my previous advice. There is no real need to get anything over 400cc.

its great, can get you into trouble real easy if you're not respectful that front just wants to lift for days

Its a shame that theres cunts in this world that steal shit and fuck it up for others, i hope you get things sorted out though op, its tricky finding the right bike for the right person, buy a few scrappers and throw a little cash and tender loving care and you can have a cheap fun runaround

>anything "unique" like that tends to get you robbed right quick
Get one of those asian hondas that they sold to the communist countries.

I rode 4 stroke trail bikes all my childhood till I reached 20 then bought a old 1988 us 125 and will never ride 4 stroke dirt bikes again. Everything I had ever wanted was there in that old 2 stroke. It put a big shit eating grin on my face the first time I pinned it like no 4 stroke ever had. The main thing with 2 strokes is every 20 to 30 hours of riding time you have to rebuild the top end which is easy. You also have to mix you gas with 2 stroke oil.

It's insanely dangerous, part of why I don't like the CBR. It's brand new black and orange, you don't see it anywhere else. The thing turns heads. That's something you really don't want at all here. You want to blend.

Ha, it'd be way too much for me then. Still new to the whole gig, especially dealing with inclines. An MT would probably kick my ass.

True that, this country has a lot of potential which is wasted by the assholes here.

Thanks nonetheless, I'm still searching around for the right one. But this thread gave me some great suggestions.

That shit gets stolen while parked simply because of how easily lost it gets.

To make sure you're "safe" you need something in the price range between 13 to 30k. It ensures a bike that isn't too common, but common enough. Yet expensive enough people won't forget seeing it if stolen.

Sounds complicating, I know. But if you lived here you'd get it. Shit sucks.

That kind of maintenance ain't too much of a hassle. If the thing can handle a beating, it gets my attention cause I intend to do just that to it.

1988 yz 125 sorry

everytime i see a brazilian video
its always somebody on a motorcycle
either killing someone while on a motorcycle
or getting killed while on a motorcycle.

but yes, those 'enduro' type bikes are a pretty good choice

2 strokes can handle quite the heating and are really easy to fix since there isn't any valves or cams. It just a really simple design that stands the test of time. There also much lighter than 4 stroke dirt bikes

>I got a CBR500r as a gift from

For a first bike? That's way too big.

OP, ive been recently drooling all over the Husqvarna 701 supermoto. Take a look at any of the Husqvarna's if theyre in your area.

Depends on the city.
You go over to Sao Paulo ou Rio and that shit is a fucking constant. Downright disgusting crap.

Santos, Gramado, Curitiba. The places I tend to go, are more chill and rarely have any issue when it comes to motorcycles.
I just enjoy bikes because I happen to hang around places with nice open roads and big fields, which are fun to tackle with a bicycle, but would be more fun with something that has actual power.

Yeah, that's been pretty much the center topic toward a choice for a bike. I dont intend to need high speeds, just some torque for inclines though. That's where I have to look into the 2 strokes.

That's what I said, hence asking my father to trade it. Too much bike too fast. I wanted something lighter to get used to, something I wont have to worry about dropping every five seconds cause it ways a fuckton and is bulky as shit. It's a great bike, but it calls too much attention and isn't my kind of ride.

He bought it cause it was a new release here in brazil and he thought I'd like the "sport" type due to age. I told him an MT like his would have been fine, or a trail type. Sports are awesome bikes, just not my taste.

I doubt they have that model here in brazil, let alone that retailer.
Stuff like that is hard to find. Hell, there's only one Triumph store in SP.

You can grab a yamaha wr450 for 2k i have 2 of them very fond

I dont think you have to mix the gas anymore on the new ones but I could be wong

2k here? If that's the case I'm sold on the 450

Alright guys, I gotta be going.
Definitely got some models to look at tomorrow and some stuff to look into.

Thanks very much for all you help, it really cleared up a lot for me.

See you around.

In my experience, baja bikes are great. Just like, use the right tires. Knobby off-roaders are bad on roads. Used to have kawasaki's brand of baja bike. It's simple and not real fast, but it's reasonable height-wise. I'm 5'8" and it worked great. Most "dirt bikes" that are roadworthy should be fine for you too. Just try and buy the on/off road tires. The right tires make hella difference in handling. You can buy drop kits for almost any bike too. Run about 180 usd wholesale, around 300 usd from a store. I used to work at a motorcycle parts warehouse if that makes my shitty opinion any more valid.