Ask a math/physics student anything. I will try to explain and give references as good as possible

Ask a math/physics student anything. I will try to explain and give references as good as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_thermodynamics
arxiv.org/archive/math
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number#In_nature
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will you help me with my homework in the future?

Haha :-D Can't guarantee anything. Let me know if i can help you now!

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of what?

Write me a proof to show that OP is and will always be gay

I don't have anything right now. Thanks for accepting to help out.

Sorry I don't know what you mean. maybe send a pic ?

Suppose OP is not gay.
OP =|= gay
We look at the time dependence of OP:
dOP/dt = d/dt(gay) = 0
Since we already know that
OP(T) = gay
(because everyone will once be gay), we also know that
OP(t) = gay
for all t from -infinity to infinity

What is the equation for the Entropy of an Event Horizon

I needed to say that
OP(T) = gay
for some arbitrary moment of time T. This is because we are humans, which eventually be gay at some moment.

I'm sorry im just learning the basics of GR at the moment. So I don't know the answer.
But i think you will find a lot information on the wiki:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_thermodynamics
And also there is a very good book about GR, which you might want to look at:
"A first course in general relativity" (2nd Ed.)

What shape is Earth? Is Earth flat?

Protip, reference The Black Hole Wars by Leonard Susskind

I suggest The Black Hole Wars by Leonard Susskind bro. Great read

The shape of the earth is only locally flat. This might suggest the idea to think, that the earth is flat. However this is not the case, as easy planetary models have already proven in earlier centurys.
The shape of the earth is nearest to the one of a sphere. It may be a little distorted, but can be approximated well as one.

My physics final is in 4 days. It'll have heavy emphasis on rigid body rotation. I don't understand this shit at all. How would you go about tackling this topic? I can't quite picture how torque works and angular values completely fuck me up.

By the way the answer to your little calculation is i!

What does it take to get really skilled at math and applied sciences that extensively require math? Is it innate skill or practice?

Practice. The idea of innate skill or natural talent has been debunked. Read "Talent Is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin. Examines many professionals ranging from music artists to sport athletes whom many considered "naturally good" at their fields. Turns out they just busted their ass incredibly since a very young age. Really worth the read.

Is the information on the Anderson Institute site legit? I've studied quite a bit of quantum physics and mechanics, entanglement, etc on my own, but I haven't taken any normal classes.

Explain how an air gap in a magnetic circuit effects flux from an induced magnetic field.
Supply the correct formula and break it down mathematically.

In terms of math what is the negative mass

Ok so let's start at torque. Suppose you have a rigid body and you want to act (or you let act) a force on it.
The force will have a certain direction in which it is pointing. Thus the force can be given by a vector, where the length of the vector represents the strength and the direction represents the direction, the force is pointing.
The next important quantity is another vector. Your (rigid) body will be rotated around some center and the force will be applied to a point different from this rotation center. The vector pointing from the rotation center to the point, at which the force will be applied is called "lever arm".
Now we are ready to understand torque. Torque is the cross product of those two previously defined vectors.
Let's look at a example. (see the picture)
The rigid body is the black box on the right, while the rotation center will be the tube on the left. We see that the vector of torque is now pointing in the direction, around which axis the body will be rotated.

That sound's like a problem which you are supposed to solve ;-)
I am really sorry to say this, but my main focus has always been theoretical physics, like particle physics and maths related to topology and analysiis. Thus I can not answer your question.
Sorry

Ah it makes more sense now. Thank you, appreciate it. On another note, what do you do? As in, where do you work? Thinking of going into astrophysics but don't know how or where to find a job with it.

bumping for more answers for
Also, I have one. When I was alot younger and really into math, I had some autistic, complex method (that did work, just took alot longer than normal) for being able to process large numbers very quickly and efficiently, where I could quickly solve 16 digit problems in under 20 seconds, 32 digit in around 30 seconds, etc, something about how I would group the digits effectively to kind of short cut having to process it as a whole number. Because I'm getting into math again, I was wondering if there is a site or lists for these kinds of methods, in order to quickly solve high digit problems.
TL;DR VERSION; methods or shortcuts for solving high digit formulas by grouping.
(If it helps, I remember it was super easy to do for even numbers, so I used odd numbers to make it harder)

bump for answers
Not OP, but first you'd have to get properly educated in it, you could find some starting stuff on youtube, maybe find a few textbooks on it, but of course there's also schools for it.

Well... first you have to realize that in physics often times it can be usefull to define mathematical concepts, that help in calculating stuff but don't have a proper meaning in the real world. There are examples like negative temperature. Classically temperature is defined as an average over the absolute value of the particle velocitys. Thus it can't be classically negative. However there is a more abstract way to define Temperature such that it can be negative.
Same goes with the mass. Mass is in the classical sence is positive. The more abstract term is to define mass in the sence which GR uses. There you will have a Energy-Stress Tensor which carries all the information you need to know.
If the stress component of this tensor now is larger than the mass density, this could give negative mass.
However the problem is, that many principles in physics prevent this to happen. Thus it may never be possible to really observe negative mass.
But mathematically noone restricts you to think, that mass must be positive. For instance if you want to solve differential equations in classical mechanics, then you could also solve them for negative mass.
Another interesting fact: In General Relativity (the more advanced theory of special relativity of einstein) energy is not conserved globally but only locally, which means, that Energy may at one point just decrease or increase. This has however never been observed and also no theoretical physicist believes in this.

Sorry I am a little slow in writing. Going to answer a few more questions which I think i can and will then to to sleep :-p

Alright, thanks

Why are you such a pretentious little shit?

Why does my crackling always come out shit?

Can you explain Bernoulli's principle and how it relates to airplanes? I'm confused

Sorry I don't know the solution to this. I am not a genious.
I didn't know about the Anderson Institute until now. I scanned their website and i certainly can not say that I would recommend anyone who want's to learn something about physics to look for information there.
To me it seems like a rather philosophical website without the rigorosity you would expect from a truly scientific page. Since I did not read any articles on the page I also can not say that it's Bullshit, but I would rather recoomend you to check out Wikipedia and also the REFERENCES in the bottom of every page. There is much to learn from these. And as far as mathematics and physics is concerned, wikipedia is a great way to learn more about different stuff.
So --> No recommendation from me for this page.
Now to your question again: I am a little sad to get asked these very interesting questions, but to not directly know the answer. I don't know if there is a list of stuff like this. If I was you, I would start where you finished and just look fore some new papers on arxiv.org/archive/math related to the topic. Sorry to not know more.

Well, well. what does this peskin, schröder book tell me right here ?
(I hope it is ... )

What can the Fibonacci numbers use to?

thanks for trying atleast, and thanks for the tips, but I would suggest reading more into that site when you have a chance, I've been into astrophysics since I was a kid, and from what I can see, the pages are legit, but You might notice something I don't, or maybe you'll find it still really interesting since it deals with what we both have a passion for.

what can this be used for?

>as good as possible
Clearly not an English major.

Okay the last ony i will try to answer.
So I just googled them and of course you can find stuff about this on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number#In_nature but I don't think, that this is what you were looking for.
So my example is the following. In physics there will often be divergent series, which someone wants to have them converge to some number (other than infinity). The method used for this is called "zeta-resummation". Especially in the numerical part of solving problems like these fibonacci numbers are occuring. More precisely: by using the properties of those numbers, it is possible to obtain results first of all smaller then infinity and also with great precision.
Entschuldigung!

they're not english, I'd guess german or something.

probably usefull if your calculator is broken ...

why do kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

Ersti, was geht?

>wieso Mathe/Physik genommen statt etwas mit Zukunftsperspektive? Oder zumindest Info als NF.
>Welche Noten bei Ana/LA und in Theo. Physik geschrieben?
>Welches Fach fiel die bis jetzt am schwersten? Wann immer angefangen zu lernen? Wieviele Stunden in dein schwerstes Fach investiert?

t. ET Absolvent

>Update
thank you user

Ok so I will go to bed now. BB

Answer is ~0.999197

Goodnight user