Okay, Sup Forumstards. I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent" human being or I'd like to think

Okay, Sup Forumstards. I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent" human being or I'd like to think.
I have a question for you all that I could not find the answer to. My girlfriend is a philosophy major and we have very in depth conversations about everything. We came across something I've never really thought of but her being a philosophy major she asked me.
>"Do we exist?"
The basis of this is complicated but I came up with 2 different answers and none of them actually address the question.

>#1 We exist. If we exist and we are all aware of our consciousness and we live in a world with 7 billion people with our own thoughts, how do we prove this? How do we prove that the world isn't made up of my thoughts and imagination? Every person I interact with and see in the news or ANYTHING I am exposed to. How do I know it's not something I came up with and thought of on my own. If this is true, what am I? How do I come up with all these thoughts and imaginations? Who or what am I? Am I higher living being that is living in a dream controlling a life I want to live? This, I believe cannot be proven. Because it's hypothetical. Is there a way to prove that we are all individuals and we all have our own thoughts and "Earth" is real.

>#2 We don't exist. If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains. Who are we? How am I capable of making this reality that I PERSONALLY think is real. Is there a higher being controlling me?

If you exist then you are a racist. Because you did not imagine yourself as a black man.

btw pic related, she's kind of like the bitch in the picture.
Very fit, beautiful, but also intelligent.

Read Descartes fgt

it doesnt matter whether we exist or not
in quintillions of years everything that has ever existed will stop existing anyway
fuck off OP

Yes yes, hilarious, I've been lurking/posting RARELY on Sup Forums for about a decade now.
I'm looking for really educated smart opinions but you're always welcome to stay.
Trolls are what makes Sup Forums fun.
Keep it up, this one didn't make me laugh but clever trolls do.

Ha this. Cogito ergo sum.

Your answer is retarded dude.
Your answer implies that WE DO EXIST. That this universe exists and that in a quintillions of years everything will stop existing.
>If we don't exist quintillions of years isn't going to destroy my "imaginary" existence because we don't know where we come from.

Bro that's philosophy 101, you're really telling me it took a philosophy major to make you consider that?

my answer may be retarded
but at least im not debating philosophy on an anonymous imageboard expecting serious answers

>intelligent
>never once considered baby's first existential quandry

Read any philosophical overview from ny philosopher. Even diogenes discussed it. Read up on stuff like solipsism, plato's theory of forms, anything from descartes. Any question you can think of has been discussed many times.

Dude I DON'T have a fucking philosophy major. SHE DOES. Can you read or what? Are you retarded. I have no exposure to philosophy or any of this shit. She just asked me a simple question of "do we exist" and I have no idea wtf she was talking about.
I thought "yes we exist, retard" but she explained to me what this question really meant and it made me think.
I summed up a fucking semester of "TEACHING" this within an hour and she was really impressed. So I came to Sup Forumsros, the general demographic to see what they think. I'm FAIRLY certain 99% of Sup Forums IS NOT a philosophy major idiot.

DUDE, READ what I fucking wrote. I'm not a fuckinh philosophy major. I'm just an average Sup Forumsro. I didn't and I'm not willing to spend time studying on some philosophy shit. I have other things to do with my life. I want a fucking snippet of what other Sup Forumsros think about this. Not some retard that majored in philosophy and wasted 4 years of his life thinking "OMG WHAT IF BRO. OMG 420 THINK ABOUT IT DUDE."

I exist, whether physically or only in my own imagination. It's you I'm not so sure about.

I never claimed you were the philosophy major, I said it took one (as in her) to make you consider it.
Regardless, it's a rudimentary level question that 99% of Sup Forums has already considered.
And don't flatter yourself about summing up a whole semester of "teaching," philosophy is a shit course where all you have to do is discuss your opinion.

We cant know fag, just go with the first basal assumption.

1) I assume that the universe exists.

>I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent" human being or I'd like to think.

Think again.

Bro how old are you? You don't gotta be busy to think of a simple question like that

This
Fuck off op

No, I only imagined it.

Lol, that's like the first week of philosophy class.
Just wait until you get heidegger, you'll be fucked

You sound butthurt tbh.

Yes, I work as a federal contractor, I don't fucking regularly think about "do we exist."

Also yes, it is a rudimentary question and I sat there thinking about it for an hour because I'm not familiar with these types of questions. I came up with the conclusions I stated above.

I just find it hilarious when you go into the philosophy major you spend fucking 6 months talking about such a rudimentary question I can answer within an hour. It personally makes me look down on people that go into philosophy. Are you retarded or what? Can't think for yourself? and you seem to be offended by such a simple question.

Exactly my point, it's simple. Yet people spend 4 years on retardation.

We exist for as long as we live, then we metamorph but still exist.
Even fictional things exist in some respects.

Yea, I'm retarded and this thread was made up in your mind.
How retarded are you now?

I think, therefore I am, nigger

At the very least some level of consciousness exists to doubt my existence. That means I exist in some way.

Watch the matrix

Its the basis of philosophy, cogito ergo sum is older than Descartes

Are you serious? I wrote what you're replying to, and im 18 and in high school. Everyone ive ever had a conversation with thats had any semblance of intelligence had considered if they exist by like, 5th grade. What does your girlfriend see in you holy shit

Calm your ass Descartes, shit been asked not just now. read a book.

have you seen mindgamers..? this is what i think we just keep living but from key ponts in our life ,,over and over

We exist and mathematics is the proof. Through mathematics, you can witness events and then explain them with constants which you would never be able to imagine. No matter who's conciousness is converting events into equations, the mathematical constants will wind up being the same.

Oh yeah dude, you're so fucking smart. Why don't you explain Free Will to me then, since you're such a sick dude with an awesome brain

It isn't really answering the question that matters. It's understanding the thought process. One simple question can lead to a world of ideas. That's why most of the great classic philosophers were also scientists, inventors, and artists as well.

You need to fuck her up the ass while you have an appropriately sized vibrating dildo up her cunt. As you're fucking her up the ass and the vibrating dildo is at work in her cunt, ask her in a whisper ARE YOU ALIVE?

>18
>semblance of intelligence had considered if they exist by like, 5th grade.
You did not address ANY of my question.
Are you IMPLYING that we exist? then refer to the original post.

FUCKING PROVE that we exist. You're too young dude. Grow up some more. Save this thread and look at in when you get some college education retard.

Listen man, I just came here to fuck around and browse dumb memes, not to question my existence and have a fucking existential crisis.

Butthurt, and use fallacious argument,
>in b4 the tv show presentator bias

Bruh you're killing me XDXD
I'm not even a philosophy major, that's why I said the course is a joke.
But it's all good, you're just an enlightened intellectual. My apologies, M'lord.

Confirmed autist.
Your have the luxury of having empirical evidence that we exist. Philosophers have studied the phenomenon without science and Philosophy teaches you to form arguments well, so we study great thinkers in a context of thought instead of sociological history, applying ancient questions to current matters, like how do we know what we know? It's surely not from fake news, but from repeated study. What happens after death? Since sentience, we've pondered and been stumped.

Do you know what solpsism is? Cogito ergo sum? The theory of forms? I did answer your question, you just don't understand it. Not my fault, mr im-in-college-but-ask-questions-like-a-middle-schooler

This is the fucking most reasonable post this thread.

But to be honest, how are you so sure I wasn't able to create you to say this to say that mathematics is the reason we exist. WHO created mathematics? My brain? or other people?
We can't determine that without proof. How can you tell me my brain didn't create Einstein and math.
THERE IS NO PROOF.

Free will is just as complex you fucking idiot. It's not something that can be solved or explained.
JUST LIKE THE QUESTION I ASKED. Retard.

I asked the initial "do we exist" question wondering if someone will be able to answer it since I'm not able to.

I personally can't but maybe someone can.

His job makes loads O munni

>very rational
>use the word rational while saying he never read anything about philosophy

Did yo know there was a philosophy for dummie audiobook ?

mosquitoes

Post nude pics of Thinky McThinker Pants, or get the fuck out

Respect.

New philosophical quandary: If OP makes a thread, and literally everybody that posts in the thread calls him retarded, is he retarded?

It's solipsism

We have free will within the confines of certain constant math values. I.e we don't have the free will to undo entropy.

LOL MAD RESPECT BRO.
You do you man

Ah, the classic "I can't think of anything smart to say back, so I'll point out a typo" strategy. Truly the thinking man's gambit.

Fuck off you're a faggot

Well.. Elon Musk said there's a 1% chance we are NOT part of some advanced alien civilizations virtual reality video game. He might be on to something

Kappa. My love

Stefan Molyneux has a video series "Introduction to Philosophy" and he gives good lectures. He kinda talks a lot, but he puts out plenty of good points.

>Do we exist?
Based on the biological evidence given to us, minus the lack of a decent definition of consciousness, yes, we exist, and others exist and there are consequences to our and other's actions.

You don't need a philosophical answer to a question such as "Do we exist?". The most simple answer is "Yes" because you are here, communicating with tons of other individuals, not a single one being perfect and we experience various things. When you sleep, other things have actions and appropriate reactions. Shit happens all around you all the time.

>We don't exist. If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains
If you think that one entity would create an infinitely complex world to satisfy the needs of ONE FUCKING BRAIN, your arrogance knows no boundaries.
>#1 We exist. If we exist and we are all aware of our consciousness and we live in a world with 7 billion people with our own thoughts, how do we prove this?
By your mere presence. By doing things and by refusing to do things.
>How do we prove that the world isn't made up of my thoughts and imagination?
By sensory observation. You see, feel, touch... Is this not proof enough?
>How do I know it's not something I came up with and thought of on my own.
Go to a foreign country and listen to a university lecture. You won't understand shit! You can't make that shit up.
>Who or what am I?
You're a biological organism that is one of the few lucky ones that has developed intelligence.
>Is there a way to prove that we are all individuals and we all have our own thoughts and "Earth" is real.
Earth is real, it's there. You tread on it. You think, you make actions, or you refuse to take actions, you react to others' actions.

This overthinking is the mere arrogance of loungers who contribute very little to society. Fuck philosophers

That's a bold move cotton, let's see how it plays out.

So you look down on people who educate themselves and try to understand humanity and reality? "Retardation", as you described it.
Well dude, we will always need people to clean shitters, so get out there and be somebody!

there is no real answer to hard solipsism, because it's an unfalsifiable claim. so, basically, it's all mental masturbation.

LOL maybe I am a retard
I'm OP afterall. I suck dick for a living anyways boys.

And boom, you just proved how idiotic and stupid you can become.
You're an idiot with no gf. Just get off Sup Forums and do something meaningful before you kill yourself

What the fuck is this, "we exist because I dont like philosophy" great reasoning. Sensory data does not prove the world isnt a figment of ones imagination, as it could easily be manufactured data. Honestly how could someone leave it at "i can feel a thing so i know its there"

That's not me btw retard. Dude, you're retarded bro and underdeveloped. This is the last time I'm responding to you. Enjoy live Sup Forumsro

philosophy is the study of grammatically incorrect phrases and the study of our limited mental capabilities.

What is the purpose of a rock? Enjoy that blunt while it lasts.

>sees a reasonable statement
>disagrees with it, calls it idiotic
>his one counterargument is "kill yourself"

Oh shit am I back in middle school?

Imagination uses combinations of things already witnessed. This is why people need "inspiration" and why most things resemble others. Go travel, you'll see things you've never seen before.

How the fuck can someone be so arrogant and self-centered as to label themselves the center of the universe and say "It's all in my mind, my senses aren't proof enough" is just plain stupid and deliberately over complicated.
We use our senses for literally everything else to prove concepts and ideas, why not use them to prove existence? Fuck logic, right? Yeah, fuck you too.

Your counterargument is literally just "i disagree". Here's a brief lesson on discussion: when you make a claim, give supporting evidence. Otherwise, no one will listen to you.

>rational, logical

I bet you can't define either of those words. They sound great so you use them, but you have no idea what they really mean.

>If OP isnt a faggot, then why he acts this gay?

pic related is op

OP , what is Philosophy for you ?

>imaginations can only use things already witnessed

Prove that. Do you see why thats such a weak argument? Say some outside force is injecting your psyche with all the sense-data you have, and all of it is false. How could you know this isnt the case?

Man fuck pot, makes everyone think they can be a philosopher

I put your second answer at that level of stupidity

course we exist, the 7 billion part is irrelevant in any way if your are talking in terms of your own individuality. Because unless you can create things that become fact or reality, you arent making shit OP. Because these answers are not creative, I assume you are not creative. Stop watching matrix and thinking thats some kind of actual interpretation of reality. Thats just an edgy kids wet dream.

>what am I?

a faggot.

You evolved from basest survival instincts, once base needs were met and you were comfortable, you had nothing better to do but question your existence. You arent higher anything, just delusions of grandeur assuming you are any more significant than any other space dust in the universe.unless you are a celestial giant that died and took a galaxy with you, when you die its so minor in insignificant the universe at large will neglect you as much as anyone else. Earth is real, your life is pointless, your gf will forever be philosophizong why she doesnt have a job,

have fun being delusional amd supporting your deadbeat gf

Unicorns are horses with horns, flying lizards plus fire makes a dragon, aliens have huge brains and humanoid bodies, etc.

Yeah well . . . except philosophy allow science

I'm done with you. You need to grow up dude. You're not addressing the question at hand or the big picture. You're attacking me for the "small" insignificant things. Learn to look at what is being addressed and the big picture.

yes, no; both

maybe you want to search for buddhism.

This is probably bait, but I'll bite. The phenomenological approach to this is positivist: whatever we're experiencing is reality by definition, since there's nothing else to which it could usefully refer. The perception of time creates what is referred to as existence (see Husserl) by allowing for the concept of linearity and therefore meaning. In the Kantian sense, we must pre-assume existence in order to allow for the possibility of discussion and communication.

Get out of your fucking cushy little life and out of your head. Everything is created in our brains. Your post makes me want to brutally rape your girlfriend in front of you. I want to see you wax philosophy about me making her cum like you never have. Torturing you until you scream and cry. After I jizz down her throat, I will beat your ass. Then maybe you will stop with the faggot over-analysis, and just live life. Ok?

>accuses others of getting hung up on small things and being unable to see the big picture
>doesnt consider why people are criticizing him and never provides counterarguments

The world needs more people like you

I love you bro

The words of Kek are : "I shitpost, therefore I exist"
But what is the hiden meaning ?
Well, lets say everything you experience come from your senses, but your senses may cheat on you, so what can you trust ? Cut all your senses, what remain ? Shitpost, Shitpost is actually what makes you exist

Oh shit, a knowledgable, beneficial post. Too bad this will probably be the only response to it, huh?

Philosophy is horseshit. It's all a bunch of uneducated stoners arguing about things that have no answer (or an incredibly obvious answer, like yes, we obviously fucking exist). Half of philosophy is just making shit up.

Time IS linear. The only people who think time isn't linear are potheads.

My favorite thing about people who say this stuff is that they don't know the first thing about philosophy. Outgroup bias at work, kids

I agree with you that philosophy is FUCKING BULLSHIT but there is no way to prove it.
But there is not EVIDENCE that we don't "exist" you know what I mean my dude?

"Excuse me, but I majored in philosophy."

"That's great. Here's the mop."

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything I mentioned. Please don't try to pretend to understand something you don't. Not understanding phenomenology is something you have in common with 99.999% of the population of Planet Earth. You don't need to set up a straw man argument just to dip your oar in the water.

I know more than the average Joe. Just because you know more about imaginary arguments doesn't mean it deserves my respect.

>my girlfriend is this girl with a saved Sup Forums picture filename

right

there's no reason to ponder questions that cannot be answered. it's faggot shit.

You're right. I don't understand it because it's all made up. Toss however many word salads you want, it doesn't change reality.

Underage fag detected

And what's the alternative? To satisfy the condition of "exist" we merely need be. Since I'm clearly stopping this right now, I exist. Now, dinner might say that our universe is actually an illusion, therefore we don't exist. But, even if it is an illusion, that illusion exists, and we clearly exist within it. Then the question moves to the nature of our existence rather than a question as to whether we exist at all.

Hope springs eternal.

That's not true. We don't yet have proof of this. We only know that our perception of time is linear. Causality is based on our perception of the arrow of time, but we don't know yet if that is the inherint nature of time.

so you view your girlfriend like that too?

Outgroup bias at work, kids. "I don't understand what other people think, so I don't like them or what they say!"

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it nonsense. The problem is that you haven't read enough of the basics to even understand the words being used. For instance, you need to have read (and understood) the CoPR to understand why certain axioms must necessarily be assumed. Without that, understanding Heidegger and Husserl is virtually impossible.

What you're exhibiting is classic Dunning-Kruger effect. Your lack of knowledge about the subject renders you unable to see your lack of knowledge about the subject, and to therefore be oblivious to genuine expertise. It doesn't mean you're stupid, just that you lack the expertise necessary to recognize your own lack of expertise.