weblio.jp/word-group/文法_1
weblio.jp/cat/dialect
youtube.com/watch?v=IpU9moAOlBQ
maggiesensei.com/2015/02/04/how-to-use-こんなkonna-そんなsonna-あんなanna/
weblio.jp/wkpja/content/形容動詞_形容動詞の概要
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

持ち味を活かせ!!!

Daily presence here. ;)

Hi! How is 行き (going, according to the core deck) a noun? Is there any difference when it's pronounced iki as opposed to yuki?

いく and ゆく as verbs mean exactly the same thing, but ゆく is more of a literary word used in poetry and song lyrics and so on. ゆき, which is derived from ゆく, is a suffix used to mean "bound for," as in この電車は東京行きです, this train is bound for Tokyo, or 東京行きのバス, a Tokyo-bound bus.

Okay, so are いき and ゆき the same, as well then? Isn't "bound for" kind of an adjective, not a noun as stated in jisho and anki?

"Going" can also be a noun in English, e.g. "when the going gets tough," "the whole point of going," etc. etc.

行き is the 連用形 or verb stem or whatever you want to call it of 行く, which is a form that can sometimes be used as a noun, in the same way "go" can be conjugated into "going" to be used as a noun (although it also has many other functions).

No, 東京行き becomes a noun phrase, as you can tell from です and の being used to conjugate it. It is used to describe the train or bus, but it's not really an adjective.

In the first example, "the going" is shorthand for the situation, but "bound for" describes either the bus (the downtown bound bus turned left), or is a verb (the bus that was going downtown). In your second example the "going" is a verb. The/whole/point/of are all not verbs. Unless I'm just retarded at my native language too?

Okay, so since 行く can be pronounced both ways, it's safe to assume that 行きcan be pronounced both ways and it's a style preference?

>It is used to describe the train or bus, but it's not an adjective

Adjective:
a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

But I sort of get it, it can't be used as a noun by itself, but it becomes like one word? That would make more sense.

Why do people keep asking questions about the Japanese language in the Japanese Thread and not here?

Referring to

>In your second example the "going" is a verb. The/whole/point/of are all not verbs. Unless I'm just retarded at my native language too?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerund#Gerunds_in_English
>In traditional grammars of English, the term gerund is used to label an important use of the form of the verb ending in -ing (for details of its formation and spelling, see English verbs). Other important uses are termed participle (used adjectivally or adverbially), and as a pure verbal noun.
>An -ing form is termed gerund when it behaves as a verb within a clause (so that it may be modified by an adverb or have an object); but the resulting clause as a whole (sometimes consisting of only one word, the gerund itself) functions as a noun within the larger sentence.
>For example, consider the sentence "Eating this cake is easy." Here, the gerund is the verb eating, which takes an object this cake. The entire clause eating this cake is then used as a noun, which in this case serves as the subject of the larger sentence.

>Okay, so since 行く can be pronounced both ways, it's safe to assume that 行きcan be pronounced both ways and it's a style preference?
As a suffix meaning "bound for" it is always ゆき.

>a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.
Parts of speech in Japanese and English don't coincide very much at all and if you try to use English parts of speech to define Japanese words you're gonna have a bad time.

Okay, the first point makes sense.

The core deck has both pronounciations, what does いき mean then? The core says it's a noun and "going".

Alrighty.

Apparently I was wrong and いき can be used in the same way, but I've never heard it before.
weblio.jp/content/行き
I would ask a Japanese.

Whilst slowing sourcing and adding things to a まんがタイムきらら collection I'm putting together, I came across the below linked series. It was published back in late 2012 and 2013, with only two volumes eventuating. The reason why I'm posting it here is because while having a look through the scans and digital rip for the second volume, I ended up reading the first couple of pages and the art direction and nature of it made me want to stop what I am currently reading and read those, and so I recommend any guys here who are looking for something to read to check it out.
link:

月曜日の空飛ぶオレンジ。 by あfろ:
mega.nz/#F!ZUZDgTYT!p3dJGaG1kPD9wUDjzhTceA

Imgur link for the illustration pages, I hope it works.
第1巻
imgur.com/a/Aqdp7

第2巻
imgur.com/a/fAARI

それはとってもいい話だ。

Is the "だ" here required? Does removing it make the sentence grammatically incorrect, or just unnatural sounding? (Or change the meaning)

Let's be honest, nobody wants advice from Sup Forums refugees.

It's not required, but it sounds more feminine without the だ

I wish to be the little girl

hanashi is a noun so you need the da after it

The だ can be left off and merely implied.

That cancerous chatroom is a lot more active so from the outside it would appear like the right sort of thread to ask questions about the Japanese language. That and the question was asking Japanese anons how they learned kanji as a kid, as the user asking the question was probably under the impression that the thread he posted in wasn't full of expats and proxies. Yet another easy mistake to make on the outside.
When you look at this thread, the op states to read something before asking questions. This is also something which lazy anons after an immediate answer could read and think fuck it, I'll ask somewhere else, preferably in a thread with a lot more presence on the catalogue.

True.
Also true.

Could you upload to safe.moe? If it isn't too troubling, mega is blocked by my ISP.

Have you practiced your 土下座 today?

youtube.com/watch?v=XspDkqEtWFE

ganba

もうアンキいやだああぁ

”若手にアレンジを任せながらも全く個性を失わず躍動感のあるシンセサウンドで健在ぶりをアピールした名盤 ”

(context is an Akiko Yano album review)

Just to confirm, in "全く個性を失わず" The 全く is modifying the verb, correct? And the only way it would be modifying the noun 個性 in this situation instead, is with a relative clause or with a na-adjective, right? This is a minor point of comprehension, but there is a subtle difference difference between "Without parting completely with individuality" and "Without parting with complete individuality".

>mega is blocked by my ISP
That sucks, everything we have in the CoR, etc. is hosted on mega. Anyway to get around these blocks?

>Could you upload to safe.moe?
Sure thing. They have a cute chen favicon.
a.safe.moe/JPTm4.zip

More than subtle, the difference between those two phrases makes them almost opposites

Because 全く is in the 連用形 it cannot be modifying 個性. To modify 個性 it would have to be in the 連体形: 全い個性 or 全き個性. But I don't think 全い is used in any form except for 全く anymore.

The translation "completely not parting with individuality" by the way. I.e, not losing it at all.

I see, thanks for clarifying.. when the ending is て or く it's pretty easy to take it as a conjunctive feel, but I just remembered why I was thrown for a loop to ask such a question, and it's words like 多少:

”多少リズムがおかしい”

Is the rhythm sometimes odd, or is some of the rhythm odd? I think a Japan-user was trying his best to explain it to me a few threads ago but I couldn't figure it out. If there was a の, a に, or even a comma it would be easy to figure out, but when it's just a noun right next to another noun, it can be confusing.

Thank you, but could you explain the difference between the two? I get the same feeling of "comprehension" for both, but adverb after verb is typical for good English grammar.

"Without parting completely with individuality" implies to me that there's some individuality lost.

Ah, gotcha. I see what you mean. That translation of mine was intentional: my interpretation of 全く was slightly off. Only a slight mistake, but I'm glad you caught it.

>Is the rhythm sometimes odd, or is some of the rhythm odd?
Maybe more like "the rhythm is somewhat odd/ a little strange". 多少 appears to be used in the same manner as ちょっと, here.

here's a word for you
着痩せ
youtu.be/1nSUy4Tsq5c?t=5m21s

多少 is an example of a word that's purely an adverb (副詞). It isn't inflected in any way and always modifies the predicate (because it's an adverb, not an adjective). So in this case 多少 is modifying リズムがおかしい. The rhythm is somewhat odd.

Adverbs that don't come from inflected forms of 形容詞 or 形容動詞 (e.g. 早く, 好きに, 堂々と) can be pretty confusing because the rules seem to be arbitrary. Some don't need any particles, like もはや or いよいよ . Some can take either に or と, like 割と・割に. Some can only take に, like 徐に, and some can only take と, like きちんと.

I found a paper on it if you want to チャレンジ
repository.tufs.ac.jp/bitstream/10108/20528/1/jls006007.pdf

Probably wouldn't hurt explaining how 多少 can modify words with の, as in 多少の事実. You seem a lot better at explaining things.

There was a way to type in katakana while holding the shift key in the Google IME but I can't seem to get it working again after a reinstall.
Anyone got an idea how I did this before?

It's in the options' 入力補助 tab.

Ah thank you very much
Seems I am blind

That's true, I'm sorry. 多少 has two separate usages, as a noun meaning "the degree to which something is many or few in number," or as an adverb meaning "somewhat, not very great in number or degree."
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/136505/meaning/m0u/多少/

Ah, I've been looking for such a lucid explanation for a while now. I'm very grateful for the help, thanks. I think I am at the stage where I need to start looking specifically in Japanese dictionaries first, and familiarize myself more with the untranslated genuine Japanese grammatical concepts.

I was originally going to share with you this page, in reference to those other uses but wasn't really able to explain it. However you may get enough simply from what you know now and using Rikaisama to hover over words to be of some utility.
thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/多少

Weblio has a host of different pages on language related things, more like an encyclopaedia than a straight up dictionary, but unless you have a bit of an idea what you are looking for it can be hard for a beginner to find things quickly.
They have a really decent section of verb conjugations and grammar.
weblio.jp/word-group/文法_1

But most interestingly, on dialects.
weblio.jp/cat/dialect

>depression gets me hard for a month, don't even get out of bed most days
>now 1300 cards are due, over 70% of my deck
>probably don't remember any word

Ah yes weblio; I'm a bit familiar with the thesaurus, which has helped a bit with idiomatic phrases. I'll need to familiarize myself more with at the very least basic parts of speech like adverb, verb, etc. and kind of build from there, in order to really utilize some portions of the site. I admire your kind of all-encompassing approach to Japanese learning; as for myself I'm still looking for the immediate utility of say, reading a blog post or a news article and it not taking 45 minutes (lol), and less on the complexities of something like the various dialects. This might just be out of "necessity" for yourself however, if you are engaged in a lot of material with dialects. Even the google hunt for something like a Kansai dialect phrase is a tedious trek for me lol.

When using the Anki flash cards, should I mark something as easy if I remember the meaning and not any of the words it goes with? I don't feel like I'm learning anything if I only know the meaning on its own and not how to pronounce it in words

>I admire your kind of all-encompassing approach to Japanese learning
I mainly just read manga. Almost everything else is a as needed basis which is one of the reasons I know about these different sites and such.
>Even the google hunt for something like a Kansai dialect phrase is a tedious trek for me lol.
Once you get a feel for keywords and the right sort of things to look for, the rabbit hole isn't so bad. That may be more of a personal quirk, though, having spent too much time over the years researching entirely fucking pointless things online. Maybe some people are research driven and shit like that is enjoyable.
There are also a lot of Chinese sites for Japanese langauge learners that can have useful stuff for things like verb conjugations and stuff, as they tend to use similar language as to what the Japanese use, meaning it is "closer to the metal", in a way. I don't know a lick of Mandarin but at times some of those sites have been more useful than the English references I've found for stuff, but easier than the Japanese guides, with better simple examples.
I'll use any tool as long as it does the job.

What do you hope to retain, an approximate meaning in English or how to actually read/pronounce the word, or both? By marking something as easy, or passing the card, you are telling Anki that this fact is good with you and to show it down the track, later.

When you read a word of real content, the context around that word will give a lot of hints as to what the meaning of it is and what it's doing. However, the same context won't give you any hints at all about how to pronounce it, so this is what your flashcards should focus on.

>非現実な世界が現実だった
>生まれた時からなかった堅実なんか
Anyone can help me with these two phrases? I'm pretty sure the first sentence is "This unrealistic world was reality" (I have a feeling it's meaning is closer to "Reality was an unrealistic world"), and I think first part of the second sentence means something like "Since (someone) was born" and then I get lost.
I'm going to link the source too, since it's a work of art that everyone needs to see at least once in their lives.
youtube.com/watch?v=IpU9moAOlBQ

>rap
>art

Fuck man, I didn't think I had to point it out.
It's ironic. I said that because these dudes are so unbelievably and utterly shit, my life would be incomplete if I hadn't experienced it.

Maybe:The unreal world was real
Maybe: Reliably nothing/"a nobody" since (opponent) was born

Black American culture is ugly enough as it is (much less Japanese imitating it), so I'm not going to watch it for context, but it seems to be a rap battle so remember, literally everything they say is either to insult the other person or self-aggrandizement.

What does "からなかった" mean?

から particle and then past tense ない, I think.

Thanks for uploading.

As for mega it's a simple fix, just have to go into router settings and change the default DNS to Google's Public DNS.

But I'm at my aunt's house and don't want to risk breaking her Internet or something by doing it.

Stuck there for long? If there is anything else from the CoR that you are after I might be able to upload some of it in the same way to that chen pomf clone site.

I'll only be here for about a week or so, then I'll be back home.

Appreciate the offer but I'll probably be reviewing my hiragana and katakana for the rest of my stay here 2bh.

DJT, can you help me with this translation from English to Japanese? It doesn't have to be a 1:1 translation, but I want it to sound natural.

>Uh... I wonder if we can really do it...
へぇ。。。本当に出来るかな?
>Ah! Amber-chan, how's it going?
あッ!アンバーちゃん、こんにちは!
>Lulu-san! You're doing fireworks at the Festival, right? Sounds great... I'm looking forward to it!
ルルさん!魔法祭は花火の担当ですね!いいね、楽しみます!
>Ahaha... Don't get your hopes up, we'll just do the usual stuff...
あはは。。。期待を寄せ過ぎらないで、普通でするつもりですけど!
>Alright, I will give my best on the potion tonight!
よっし!今夜の水薬あたしも頑張らなきゃ!
>By the way, where is your hat?
そう言えば、帽子はどこ?
>Huh?
あれ?
>Potions for scrubs
間抜けへ水薬

T-thanks, but it's the other way around.

What do you mean?

From English to Japaneesey.

Ah shit, nevermind. Obviously I didn't even read your post properly. My bad, disregard that post.

How does the expression こんなに/そんなに/あんなに work grammatically? Is that just the particle に afterward? I don't understand how/why に can be used for that.

Is there a link you can give me that would help me understand this? I tried [1], but it didn't actually explain to me what grammatically was happening, it just gave examples.

[1] maggiesensei.com/2015/02/04/how-to-use-こんなkonna-そんなsonna-あんなanna/

Coincidentally I was about to post a paper I found on this only to do a quick search and see that user here already has. Fucking hell, what are the odds of that?
Anyway, to oversimplify it, こんな・そんな・あんな are what grammar guides refer to as な adjectives, which you'll see referred to with 形動 in most dictionaries. に is added to these な adjectives in order to change them into adverbs.
As for the grammatical reason, well I'm not really sure. According to
weblio.jp/wkpja/content/形容動詞_形容動詞の概要

It has to do with back in the Heian period there were some sort of frustration, I guess, because people felt they couldn't express things full with just い adjectives, so they started using the noun stem plus なり, or something, which eventually became the に we see added to words in order to make "fake" or "quasi" adjectives. That's also probably where why な adjectives are also referred to as adjectival nouns.

Who fucking knows, right?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To someone who has seen every card in Core2k/6k/10k, how many reviews do you usually get per day? I'm curious to see just how bad it gets.

10 days to finish Core10k, my peak was 330, but now it's around 280~300.
Retention between 88 and 90%. 20 new cards a day.

こんちは、日本語スレからお邪魔します。
こんな感じ?(さらなる訂正求む)
舞台背景がわからないから一部勘です
---------------------

うーん……本当にできるかなぁ……

あら、アンバーちゃん、調子はどう?

ルルさん!魔法祭は花火の担当なんですね!すごい……楽しみにしてます!

あはは……あまり期待しないでね、普通にするだけだから

よし!今夜の水薬作りあたしも頑張らなきゃ!

ところで、帽子はどこに?

あれ?

>Potions for scrubs
おバカにつける薬

------------------
「バカにつける薬 」はある種の慣用表現なんだけども、ちょっときつい言い回しかもしれない。
なので「お」をつけて柔らかくしてみましたw

Show respect to my king. He is in Spain.

You're right, 形容動詞 were new coinages used to supplement 形容詞 that started appearing in the Nara period and then became prominent in the Heian period.

In modern Japanese there's only one type of 形容動詞 conjugation, which is based on attaching the copula だ to the word's root:
>静かだろう
>静かで / 静かだった / 静かに
>静かだ
>静かな部屋
>静かならば
This makes the 形容動詞 of modern Japanese unique among the other inflected parts of speech in that the 終止形 ~だ and the 連体形 ~な are still distinct, instead of being merged into one form.

To make a 形容動詞 into its adverb form, you attach the particle に, which serves as a sort of alternate 連用形 to で.
>静かになる
to become quiet
>完全に終わる
to end completely
>そんなに言われても
Even if I am told so much...
This is analogous to the ~く form of regular i-adjective 形容詞.

こんな, そんな and あんな are a kind of irregular 形容動詞 that are probably derived from この, その, and あの somehow, although I'm not sure about the specifics. In their case, the な is inseparable from the word's root, meaning the root by itself can serve as the 連体形, although the forms こんなな, そんなな and あんなな do appear before ので or のに.

>なので「お」をつけて柔らかくしてみましたw
うーんおもしろい!
ありがとうございます。他のアノンの提案と混ぜて添削します!

In 文語, classical written Japanese, there were originally two forms of 形容動詞 conjugation instead of just the one. The first was the ナリ活用, based on attaching the copula なり to the verb's root. (なり itself derives from にあり.)
>静かならむ
>静かなり / 静かなりき / 静かに
>静かなり
>静かなる家
>静かなれども
>静かなれ
As the copula なり began to be replaced with であり and then だ, this form would later evolve into the modern 形容動詞.

The other type of 形容動詞 was the タリ活用, which was rare in the Heian period but became more prominent later. It uses the copula たり, which derives from とあり.
>堂々たらむ
>堂々たり / 堂々たりき / 堂々と
>堂々たり
>堂々たる邸宅
>堂々たれども
>堂々たれ
This type of 形容動詞 lives on in the form of the タルト活用 or トタル活用, which is so named because only the 連用形 ~と and the 連体形 ~たる are still in use, although even the ~たる form is dying out in favor of ~とした. This is why 堂々と instead of 堂々に and 堂々とした instead of 堂々な still exist in modern Japanese.

The なり-based 形容動詞 were originally native Japanese words rather than Chinese borrowings, and they often ended in か (as in 静か, 遥か, 定か), らか (as in 明らか, 清らか, 滑らか), or やか (as in 穏やか, 淑やか, 軽やか). These are the oldest form of 形容動詞.

On the other hand, the たり-based 形容動詞 were derived from Chinese words, like 断然 or 朦朧, and especially from words where the character is doubled, like 淡々, 峨々, 延々. Some are even made of only a single character, like 凛.

>which serves as a sort of alternate 連用形 to で.
Those are the words I was looking for. Was trying to link it with how なり and たり have that function in modern Japanese. How would you explain that in more beginner friendly terms, that に is used because it acts a bit like て and ます stem forms of verbs to attach to something else to form a phrasal verb/noun, such as 持って行く、聞き手、走り出す, etc.? That probably promotes misunderstanding more than anything else.
It's hard to properly explain in English.

2k baby.

Is this thread kill?

計画通り

It is a part of the conjugational suffix of na- adjective
, adverbial form, but is the same as the case particle "に".
. That means that it generates a modifier like an adverb.
こんなに大きいチンチン。
こんなに+大きいadjective+チンチンnoun
こんなになっちゃった。
こんなに+なって verb ( te-form / adverbial form+て case particle )
[
現代語では、「こんな、そんな、あんな、同じ」は、特殊活用
こんなことが、こんななので、いいの?
can you understand the difference between 「こんな」and 「こんなな」?

come to JT

>School has an exchange program with a uni in Japan
>Think it might be a cool idea to go there and also fix up my Japanese studies before going there
>Don't really get anything done in the months leading up to me going to Japan
>mfw I'm here now and I only know my kanas and about ~300 basic Kanji

The course I'm following here isn't related to learning Japanese since I study IT in the Netherlands and will do so here in Japan too.

Could I somehow turn being here to an advantage to actually speed up my learning?

>Could I somehow turn being here to an advantage to actually speed up my learning?

No.

>Could I somehow turn being here to an advantage to actually speed up my learning?
nope

no one can understand less than you.

>mfw
There must be something I can do in the land of the damn language I'm trying to learn.

I see, thanks; I didn't realize you could do that with な adjectives. (I'm still very new and chugging through chokochoko, so I haven't gotten everything down yet.) Sometimes the core10k is hard to work with since it just calls あんなに an "adverb", without actually telling you it goes deeper than that.

you're toying with the language and fell for the immersion meme
the internet has made your physical location irrelevant for information acquisition
instead of diligently learning from where you were, you thought changing locations was somehow going to make you fluent
yeah nah you're an idiot

>you thought changing locations was somehow going to make you fluent

I never had such assumptions, what made you even think those were my intentions you aussieposter. I literally asked if there was something here I could use to boost my learning since I was going here for my university exchange anyways.

No, there is not. Are you 40 or something, this isn't the 20th century. You got your weblio, you got your 英次郎, you got wikipedia, ニコニコ大百科, shit you could take full jp 中高 courses online if you wanted.

Sure, if you wanted to study some shit like Greek or Icelandic you'd have to move to their respective countries because online resources for those are complete garbage, but just about everything you need to study Japanese can be found online.

Immersion is by far the fastest way to learn. But you have to give up English. Don't read English. Don't listen to English. And most importantly, don't talk in English. Strive to communicate using solely Japanese and your brain will begin adapting very quickly.

But if you're too afraid of making mistakes or sounding stupid to talk, or you let yourself stay in your English comfort zone by writing home in English everyday and browsing English websites every night and just squeek by using the bare minimum of Japanese, you will remain できない.

Fair enough. The only reason I squandered in my studies the days up to going to Japan is mainly because of my university cutting into my time and paperworks for getting a visa. By no means was I seeing being in Japan as a replacement to actual studying. The only thing I can imagine getting out of it is the fact that I can test my studies in the real world instead of with some greedy jap on a webcam who just wants me for English lessons even though I aint English myself.

>Extreme immersion
Guess I'm off to 2chan then

buy a tv. it's probably one of the few things you can't really get at home unless you buy satellite broadcasting stuff. it's not very effective for studying because you want to be able to rewind things for that but it's still interesting native input. there's bound to be at least a few programs you like no matter taste.

I know that usually given name and family name are written as 名 and 姓, but recently I thought about 名前.
Rikaichan says "full name" and "given name", but is that correct? If you read it literally it says "before the given name", so I would have thought it points exclusively at the family name.

I'm not doing RTK but is it a good idea to start with all 214 radical first, know their meanings and readings, and how they are in context before tackling with the 2300 left?

ドイツちゃんおめでとう!今日からも頑張ゑい!

こんにちは、デイリ日本語スレッド
Please rate my beginner Japanese

私の誕生日は二十四日七月です

Meanings not so much, but how to write them and which ones are out there, sure, it will make it way easier to see and decrypt new kanji.

Month comes before day.
Also make sure to read the numbers correctly.

Is there any difference if I use kanji numbers instead of arabic?
You know, like
7月24日
I know some dates are read differently instead of just [number][nichi]

It's not only the day, the month is different as well. [spoiler]It's しちがつ.[/spoiler]
No, there is no difference, the reading is the same.

thanks!

I can probably guess what a new kanji is about thanks to its radicals 5% of the time, which is better than zero i guess, should also shorten learning it by knowing how to draw it, right?

絶対に頑張ります。このズレの世話のお陰様で2kレベルを達しました。じゃあ、勉強を続けます。
(Still a noob at producing coherent sentences, gomen.)

When you guys do anki will you write out the kanji, or just memorize the symbol and its meaning

It's normal way? Just learn kanji with word in 2k deck?

Definitely. Learn all the radicals' stroke orders, it's not that complex once you get the hang of it, kinda like learning the kana.

Read about the general rules over Wikipedia if you must, it's mostly from top left to bottom to right with a few weird exceptions.