Is it true that Mr. Bungle is nothing more than a phase that people go through? I don't want this to end

Is it true that Mr. Bungle is nothing more than a phase that people go through? I don't want this to end.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5zZph4iHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4pWYERNOHtw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Egg

egg

You go through phases in Bungle but you never really fall out of it. You sort of traverse through a general appreciation towards high praise for California with a slight distaste for Self-Titled's production, and then into a phase of high praise for Disco Volante.

If you haven't already given their other albums a taste go for it, all though I'll assume that you have. Disco Volante can be daunting at first but it's well worth it.
To add, as you appreciate Mr. Bungle even more you may find yourself wanting more. If you are drawn by Patton's vocal performance, he has a broad discography. If you are drawn by Spruance's style of writing, Secret Chiefs 3's First Grand Consistution is an easy tangent from Disco Volante. If Trevor Dunn interests you, Four Films is more tame but otherwise he has been featured in numerous other projects and his nuanced bass playing is unrivaled.

>Four Films
I've been interested in this but it's not on Spotify. Anyone have a dl?

Shit man I got in on Discogs for a few bucks but I don't have an optical drive on my PC. Sorry dude

Nice double dubs

I do in fact have a distaste for s/t's production. Disco Volante is a close second behind California for me. My one gripe with it is that it's mixed too low.

I've been listening to a bit of Secret Chiefs 3 on and off. It hasn't fully clicked for me yet but there's enough interest to keep me listening to it.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5zZph4iHQ

The thing with Secret Chiefs 3 is that it can be a lot more centered than Mr. Bungle but as a result the songs can seem a little tedious and self-derivative if you catch my meaning.
Disco Volante is very dynamic in its production, it's quieter sections really are quiet but it's loudest sections as a result can be very abrasive, particularly at the end of ma meeshka and the bends. As such it I've noticed I have to be an active listener playing with volume and such. That said, some of Mr. Bungle's most developed and intricate ideas are present on the album and it can be hard to take in all at once. California is easier to love, but Disco Volante deserves equal if not greater attention for its demonstration of the songwriting trio's compositional interplay. (Not to downplay Heifetz input)

What do you mean by "a lot more centered"?

Ma Meeshka really spooked me toward the end of the song on the first listen because I turned the volume way up, not fully understanding the dynamic range of the production at the time. The album overall is excellent, but nothing on it beats Chemical Marriage through Desert Search imo.

go away mallgoth

Especially towards the latter half of the
Secret Chiefs 3's discography, the ideas that makeup tracks tend to be less varied than that of Mr. Bungle. Where as Mr. Bungle tends to develop songs using complex forms which integrate multiple developments into one song, Secret Chiefs 3 has a tendency to take an idea and riff off it for the entirety of a track. The songwriting is more centered on one concept and may use a more traditional form, as a result some tracks can seem to lack depth, but Chiefs' more varied instrumentation and heightened incorporation of eastern tropes keeps the music fresh.

This is just an observation however, I'm less familiar with the Secret Chiefs 3 discography.

Experimental, unique music is just a pause people go through? I hope not.

Phase*

I gotcha. That makes sense.

Mr. Bungle gets flak here every now and then for being "entry-level" experimental music, and as such, gets deemed as something people grow out of to move on to non-entry-level experimental music.

I've noticed the people who dismiss Mr. Bungle never grew out or pre-California dismissal. Maybe they try Self-Titled and are pushed away by Zorn's very of-its-time production? I dunno, if one can view Loveless in context and forgive its production flaws to see its timely innovation one should be able to do the same for Self-Titled.

the residents > mr bungle

oingo boingo > mr. bungle

youtube.com/watch?v=4pWYERNOHtw

Loveless is a giant meme here so I'm not even sure if most of those Loveless posts are serious. A lot of the time the timelessness of the production can really play a huge role in liking the music, but I do agree that people need to look at things from a historical context more. As much as I'd want to say that Suicide's s/t is crappy, for instance, I can't deny its relevance and the effect it had on music, so I still try to go into Suicide's music with an open mind.

Mr. Bungle>FNM

Production does matter when assessing the quality of a work, but I agree and continue that appreciation of relevance and influence requires context. Something with quality songwriting but dodgy or timely production can still be appreciated today, for this reason we still throw on blues, jazz, and country records over half a century old.
I do argue however that objective quality of art and relevance of art are distinctly separate, and the first does not take context into account.
All that said, the production on Mr. Bungle's self-titled doesn't repulse me as much as some others do, although I am unsure if I'm separating context or nostalgia when I say so.

I think that bands like Mr. Bungle are dismissed is because they dare to make their music satirical and humorous. And that's a "barrier for entry" for most people. As far as production values go, we have remastered versions of most albums readily available, although I think revolutionary production techniques should be valued (Brian Eno of course, Kevin Shields' wall of sound, Martin Hannett, Alan Parsons). As far as entry-level experimental music, I'd consider Swans, with whose discography in very disappointed, an entry-level experimental band. Mr. Bungle's use of musique concrete on California is simply genius.

Yes! People are so quick to dismiss irony as a quantifier of lesser art. I believe this is a side effect of irony-pollution in contemporary television and other media. Irony is scape-goated as indicitative of art which cannot take itself seriously, disregarded as much by elitists as it is praised by newcomers to the concept. But the issue elitists should raise is not one against irony, it's against depth. Much can be said for a work of art intended to be viewed entirely with irony, but as we see with releases like Pink Season, a lack of underlying artistic depth to back-up the social commentary leaves these releases falling as flat as that which they mock, because there is nothing else present but mimmickery for mockery. Mr. Bungle uses irony in its lyrics and even in its songwriting but there is more than mimmickery present in the content, yet it is dismissed by elitists still. This coming-of-age rejection of irony, seemingly a rejection of the cultural concepts which first captured the eye of these elitists, comes across to me as a juvenile attempt to inflate one's status by belittling others.

I don't listen to them much in the same way I don't listen to anything I listened to 10 times a day when I was 17 anymore. It's not really anything to do with quality

California is still, objectively speaking, one of the best albums ever made. It's the creative peak of every musician involved - how something so chaotic can sound so cohesive is still a mystery to me.

And even then, being fatigued of the band doesn't so much constitute it being a phase. I, too, no longer can listen to each album a thousand times a week, but I never turned and shut the door. I've noticed more than anything it's scene-associated bands which have an "expiration date," although I attribute that to not actually appreciating the art in the first place and instead appropriating the image of a scene.

Let me preface this by saying that this may well be the best post I've seen on Sup Forums thus far. People also tend to almost willingly in some situations dismiss irony and satire as just silly songs with silly words, while at the same time not acknowledging or not even attempting to acknowledge the majority of "acceptable" music has become a parody of itself, where lyrics are there, but are there to be another layer of pleasant background noise while not carrying any worthwhile message at all. I've seen posts about Poppy and her parody of pop music and pop stars, which she herself claimed it shouldn't be taken as such in an interview. Only thing differentiating her from the ones she supposedly wanted to parody and criticize is her YouTube persona. There are no unique arrangements, interesting instrumentation, use of musique concrete, as is the case with Mr. Bungle, Oingo Boingo and Zappa for example. But that would actually require much more effort than talking in front of a camera, not to mention talent. And then, to I suppose redeem herself she released an ordinary, vanilla ambient album.

Huh, somehow I've never seen this artist posted on here. From what I've heard these last few minutes it really is indistinguishable from standard pop music. You say her intention was to parody? If so, this is a really good example of irony without depth. I take it the most recent posts are the new album, then?

>I take it the most recent posts are the new album, then?
I would think so, although I don't really follow her work.

Bands like Mr. Bungle are literally the sonic equivalent of that stupid idiot from high school who went around saying "hahaha I'm too crazy already I don't need drugz to be nuts hahhaa xD see how crazy I am" then did something like start shoving a banana up his ass in the middle of the lunch room or standing up in the middle of class and saying the word "Fart" really fucking loud or something to demonstrate the he was quirky when in fact he was just a huge attention whore who tried way too fucking hard to look weird because mommy and daddy either gave him too much attention when he was a child or too little. How can people not listen to this and not go "holy fucking shit if these people think this either sounds good or think it's 'interesting' in some way they're even worse than noise artists, because at least those people are aware they're just being provocative for the sake of it but this avant-metal/post-prog/spazzcore idiots actually think they're breaking new ground in rock n roll or proving themselves in some way to be musical genisues"

Seriously if you want musical genius listen to real innovators; Schaeffer, Adorno, Sun Ra, Stockhausen, Fripp, Davis, Eno, and so on, don't waist your time with this caffeine-addicted psuedo-hipster 14 year old who probably still likes metalcore and deathcore "ironically" and has just discovered the bands that influenced Dillinger Escape Plan which aren't shitty hardcore or metal

>Seriously if you want musical genius listen to real innovators; Schaeffer, Adorno, Sun Ra, Stockhausen, Fripp, Davis, Eno, and so on, don't waist your time with this caffeine-addicted psuedo-hipster 14 year old who probably still likes metalcore and deathcore "ironically" and has just discovered the bands that influenced Dillinger Escape Plan which aren't shitty hardcore or metal

It's a wonderful dish you've served up, but I can tell you didn't bother reading any of the discussion.

egg

ok then

Mr Bungle is just Ska for people who like System of a Down.

And Ska is objectively the worst genre.

You're simply one of those who simply can't fathom music with a sense of humor and satire or you're just shitposting.

Mr Bungle is just ICP for people who don't like rap