When did you fall out of love with Harry Potter, Sup Forums?

When did you fall out of love with Harry Potter, Sup Forums?

Was it when Kloves and Yates - two hacks, one intent on forcing his own fanfiction and the other only capable of gutting the books in place of Hollywood cliches and endless grimdarkery - took over the film series?

Or when Rowling made the incredible misstep of the Epilogue - in which Harry is so obsessed and depressed even 20 years later that all his children are named after dead people?

Or when Rowling dripfed nonsense through her broken website for years instead of producing, or allowing the right people to produce, new content?

Or when she decided to write a series of films set on a 20-page charity book - in the process discarding by far the best part of the series, the setting of the pseudo-Victorian British wizarding world for NEW YORK EDDIE LIZARDFACE LOL?

For me it was when she gave some random guy's fanfiction equality to, and precedence over, her own work.

Does she have absolutely no pride as an author? There's an incredible difference between an author continuing a series after the original author has died and what is going on here. It's baffling. She doesn't need the money. If for whatever reason she felt there needed to be a Harry Potter play, why could she not write it herself? Has she gone clinically insane?

After the first 3-4 movies.

When it suddenly went grimdark teenage brooding adventures.

How about when you first read the words "Wow. Squeak. My geekness is a-quivering" in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? lmao

>baffling
That's the word I kept using after reading CC. The new movies and some of her other decisions had me questioning her for awhile but that was just such a bizarre experience. It is honestly beyond awful. I understand that becoming a billionaire would permanently change your perspective but I do not understand how she has completely lost her ability to judge what is and isn't a good story/idea in such a short amount of time. What the fuck happened

>"Wow. Squeak. My geekness is a-quivering"
Don't insult Scorpius m8, he was the one good thing in that play.

To fall out of love with something, one must fall in love with it. And I could never fall in love with Harry Potter, as it is easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

He was alright but that line is inhumanely bad. Although I don't really understand how he turned out the way he did. Draco raised a nice little nerd who likes to make jokes?

I think it was more that Draco had fuck all idea how to raise a kid, so he was pretty hands off and let him grow up how he wanted, he just turned out pretty dorky, and since everyone hated him overeager to make friends.

Still feels like sloppy writing that he showed no signs of what it would be like to basically have nazis for your family. I can picture a kid like that retreating into books and history to escape that kind of life but it would still take its toll in some way.

I don't know. Feels ridiculous to even try to talk seriously about something like characterisation amongst things like the fucking trolley witch,

pls tell me this is pasta

I still love Harry Potter. I only watched the first few films and I felt they butchered them so I stopped watching. I pretend the epilogue doesn't exist and there's no chance in hell I'm going to read the read the glorified fanfiction that is the play.

I don't think he's as happy as he seems, he's got a lot of anger inside which you see when he blows up at Albus towards the end, after much doing whatever says in order not to loose his only friend for most of the play.

And apparently the trolley witch being the train guardian was one of Rowling's ideas from way back, I just doubt she imagined it with Pumpkin pasty hand grenades.

After the fifth movie. It was such a dull piece of shit. Like I give a fuck about Harry and his friends having trouble with the new teacher

You are a pleb. The comfiest part of Harry Potter was always the lessons and interactions in the school with professors/students. The whole saving the world crap was just filler.

Yeah, a traditional as old as HP threads

>I pretend the epilogue doesn't exist and there's no chance in hell I'm going to read the read the glorified fanfiction that is the play.

That's where I'm at, but I'm just so scunnered by the way Rowling's been handling things that I can't feel any fondness even for the books at this point.

I don't know man. Absolute power corrupting and all that. I assume she has absolutely nobody telling her what's shit and what's not in her personal life, and since she's gone SJW online that's just another echochamber for her where the toxic online HP fanbase will defend anything she does.

>The comfiest part of Harry Potter was always the lessons and interactions in the school with professors/students
In the first four movies I would agree. But the Umbridge/Dumbledore's army shit was awful

After Snape died I realized I only liked the movies because of him, I have no further interest in the universe.

the shittiness of the last book turned me off of the series in general, even when I was 14 I knew that shit was fucking terrible, and the movie I saw (order of the phoenix) was shit too.

I never saw the last few movies because they looked really amateurish and poorly made.

When I reached age 13

I've always hated it. I can't even quite put my finger on what it is exactly that pisses me off about the series.

Order of the Phoenix the book is GOAT

The longest book, the shortest film. There's your problem. Order of the Phoenix is comfy as fuck

The first three films are great - first two just really solid family films, while the third is pure kino. 4 is a ridiculously mixed bag - they nail some shit like Voldemort and there's top-tier moments like THATS MY BOY but completely fuck up large parts.

5 guts the book so much that it's barely even recognisable. 6 sort of does its own thing and it sort of works (except everything involving charisma black-hole Ginny). Great soundtrack and some kino cinematography. 7 part 1 is alright, 7 part 2 is absolute series-ruining excrement.

10/10 absolutely how i feel, good shit. Definitive opinion.

>Middle tier. Kanye West.
I hope you die in a fire

When I got to that sixth / seventhish book and i realized that Rowling doesn't even like the Harry Potter series anymore.

I'm more offended by Wuthering Heights being shit tier than anything else

Top atmosphere famalam

When I finished the last book and realized it was all crap I read throughout school because I was a child.

Yates fatally wounded it for short term gain but more than anything it was Rowling not being able to keep her fucking mouth shut, I'm not on twitter but she ruined it and was clearly just a moron the whole time. I've got no idea why I liked it so much.

>Pumpkin pasty hand grenades
this has to be a joke?

A lot of these placements are pretty accurate, marces

Nope

Read all the books but my interest was highest/I felt the most immersed with Order of the Phoenix

I thought the movies were terrible aside from the first two and this was primarily due to nostalgia.

The fourth film was so bad. Last one I saw.

It's almost like... It's almost like she stole all her good ideas from other fantasy novels written before her...

not the original

Really makes you think....

Nah I don't know what books you're referring to (beyond the usual tenuous references to people saying 'i totally wrote a book about a boy going to wizard school ten years before harry potter came out)

There's a lot of shit in harry potter, but the parts where they're just chilling in school are GOAT comfy.

>Atlas Shrugged
>God tier
>Above fucking Hamlet

I'm so fucking triggered right now.

Is Rowling the new George Lucas?

>Brave New World
>Hamlet
>Low tier

>Atlas Shrugged
>God tier

>Clifford for President
>Anything but god of gods tier
That book changed a generation

I'm hoping the backlash will start with these new films. Can picture the thinkpieces already.

>Um ... Can We Talk About J.K. Rowling?

When Dumbledore became Michael Gambon
When they started wearing muggle clothes 100% of the time
When they added a million little brown kids to Hogwarts
When they took so much stuff out of Goblet of Fire
When they stopped being able to make the Warner Bros logo look any darker way too early
When the magic died

Do you think Harry ever used the invisibility cape to watch Hermoine pee? Do you think he polymorphed into a toilet at some point?

>writing a book
>stealing ideas

this is impossible, you cannot steal ideas from a genre, it's structured and you can pick up any aspect of it.

Good writers don't give a fuck. Lovecraft wanted others writers to pick up on his mythos and create new obscure gods, for example.

As if there will ever be backlash

The thinkpieces will be:
Um... Can we PLEASE talk about Rowling's latest misogyny rant about the publishing world??

Cervantes wants a word

Also if anyone wants good fantasy, just read Gormenghast

I love all seven books, even if the last one has a terrible epilogue. As for the movies, I like the first three and hate the rest.

Any supplementary shit like that retarded play isn't anything I'm interested in or will ever read/watch.

You think two paedos ever took it in Polyjuice turns being the four year old girl for the other?

>Lovecraft
Lovecraft was trash though