Thoughts? :(

thoughts? :(

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KSEpTdvY6aA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who are the other three?

He has a good sense for writing and directing, I hope he does at some point.

This is such bullshit though, the world didn't end when John Wayne, Gary Grant or Charlton Heston stopped making films.

James Woods

It's true

George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks.

At least thats what I think he means

did he died

me

>Brad Pitt

like fuck off.

"Star power" isn't what it used to be. An actors name can't "open" a film anymore except for , maybe, comedians but their films are usually pretty cheap to make in the first place

The Rock seems to still have some kind of Star Power

>tfw we could have had based tom as Iron Man instead of Robert "phone it in" Downey Jr

Cinema in general is in steady decline. Videogames will replace cinema.

pls no

Cruise and Pitt only.

End of an era has nothing to do with films being made. Article has a point though - I can't think of anyone other than Tom Cruise who is as big now as he was in the 80's. It's quite an accomplishment.

We truly live in the darkest timeline.

Literally the only reason the disaster that was World War Z made so much money is because Brad Pitt was in it.

Why watch a movie when you can be in it? It's the future.

muhsoreginey

videogames are already replaced by social medias

Finally some recognition for Tom. I've said it all the time that you know that if you see a Tom Cruise film on the tv guide for the night you'll be able to sit through it

He hasn't made a bad film.

I wouldn't say he's the last, but Hollywood is definitely running out of them and not replacing them.

Cocktail?

I don't like videogames

B-b-b-but he's a manlet.

Probably Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks.

I mean, even where i live EVERYBODY knows those guys.

Just watched the latest MI movie last night with my wife's son and was thinking about how great it is Tom Cruise is still kickin'

What exactly makes Cruise the biggest Hollywood star? He's not the biggest paid actor and he's by far not the biggest draw. His biggest movie franchize is Mission Impossible and that's hardly making any money compared to the big hitters of today. Chris Pratt is probably 10 times the draw Cruise is these days.

Paul Dano here, what about Paul Dano?

The other is Leonardo dicaprio

Do you have any? People use them to talk about what movies or games they are into or which ones they are expecting, among other things

CANT BRUISE THE CRUISE!

Obscure 80's movie no one ever brings up, THIS will prove him wrong!

Nope. The videogames industry need to invest billions to make millions. Movies industry can make billions by investing millions.

I can't really say from experience because I was born in 94, but it seems pretty much all celebrities today are are quick passover celebs. Like anybody who gets famous only stays that way for a few years at most. There are no truly big stars that get made today, in music or in movies. I suppose you have Channing Tatum, Seth Rogen, and a few others like that but ehhh, not really the same kind of star power.

So I have a question for those of you alive to experience it. When someone like the Cruiser or Arnie got famous, was it felt? Like did you just know a star was born and you'd be watching this person for a really long time? I don't know what it's like to see someone become a household name, because fame in today's world is viral. It explodes immediately but is usually forgotten quickly.

Isn't Chris Pratt the next star?

So pretty much the obvious is news now?

Cruise makes quality films and is 100% dedicated to his craft. He works harder than anyone else in the business, does his own stunts, cares for his crew and in general is a really nice guy. He's the last true "star" because he's not a vain cunt, he's a genuine person who loves his job and puts his all into it.

Classic film star

Then you belong on Sup Forums

I was thinking about saying Bruce Willis, but then I remembered that he's been phoning it in for years, and even when he wasn't, he only ever played the same character in every movie he's in.

None of that has anything to do with whether or not you are the biggest star. Being the biggest star has always meant that you are the highest paid actor with the strongest name recognition and your movies make the most money.

YouTube and social media celebrities are the big thing.

Yes. The 90's had a lot of big stars like Will Smith. You see their face on the poster and people will see it. that's why he's the main guy in suicide squad

That's a good thing though. Watching a film because of the main star is about as pleb as it gets.

Tyler Perry's name can make a film huge, I mean the Madea series is literally just "people" going to see him.

>say an objective fact about not making a bad film
>get told he did make one
>ITS OBSCURE DOESN'T COUNT

Cruise has a lot of mediocrity on his full filmography friend.

This, Mike and Jay a GOAT

Oblivion was mediocre though.

clooney no
pitt no

hanks yes

Agreed, pretty much any normie you talk to will not be able to name even one director or writer (and if they can it's usually Michael Bay or Tarantino or somebody like that).

I was more talking about what will mark the end of an era when he retires from film. He's the last of the down and dirty actors who is unafraid to behave like a normal person and worker instead of being some priss who must maintain their celebrity at all costs

>What exactly makes Cruise the biggest Hollywood star?
Pic related. Consistency on this scale is pretty amazing senpai.

Dude he was a kiddo then, now that he has experience he knows how to produce kino

>This is such bullshit though, the world didn't end when John Wayne, Gary Grant or Charlton Heston stopped making films.
Because back then it was relatively easy to replace them with new growing stars. We are in "movie by committee" era where big movies are far safer, well tested and main actors are relatively replaceable. Internet and rapid life pace also make public move on from one fad to another far faster.
You'd think with all the pretty boys that regularly pop up in teen movies we'd get another DiCaprio already but nobody was even close.

This whitey may not have any movie stars left, but black males most certainly do... Tyler Perry, The Rock, Will Smith, etc.

Mediocre in some areas but hardly full on "bad"
There's nothing you can outright hate it for, you know? That's the kind of man Tom is, you might not always agree with him but you will always respect him

Yet, his latest movies were commercially successful mostly thanks to overseas box office.

I feel like this is a bi-product of the internet and the constant information overload. I don't think we will ever see another big lasting star anywhere, be cinema, music or anything else

The best you can hope is for a Heath ledger scenario where you make a god-tier character and then you die and get remembered for that

I'm not the user you've been chatting with, but, technically the OP image says "greatest" movie star, which is a term that could apply to what the other user was trying to convey. 'Great' is pretty subjective though.

Video Games = "entertainment" sensibility = autism.

This is predominantly an art board (the "entertainment" shit that is constantly being discussed here is a result of crossposters from pleb boards like Sup Forums and Sup Forums)

True cinema = art which is the opposite to autism and in turn the opposite to video games.

The sensibilities resulting in video game appreciation are diametrically opposed to the appreciation of cinema as "art". Videogames/autism/"entertainment" are the reason for capeshit.

By that metric, DiCaprio has him beat tenfold.

It's not a good thing because people didn't move from watching movie by actor to by director. Instead it's all about franchise recognition. Massive bloated franchises made of books, entire capekino shitfest, remakes of remakes.

>YOU CAN'T BRUISE THE CRUISE!

How such a well known actor can be so under rated is bordering on an anomalie

sure thing buddy, look at all those stinkers in a row for the past 19 years

pls no

>under rated

I don't think either of these words mean what you think they mean fatty

celebrity and movie star are different things.

Actually, it's normal, well adjusted people who seek entertainment. The autistic people in both mediums are always the ones obsessed with "art" and feeding into their false sense of superiority. I mean, have you ever seen a normie who talks like you?

Dear Ester is higher art than any movies released in the last 30 years.

Fuck you Sally

Celebrities can be your friends now!

You're a fool. But thats nothing new

>The videogames industry need to invest billions to make millions. Movies industry can make billions by investing millions.
You kidding, right? There are very few videogames with budgets similar to hollywood movies and the most expensive videogame is dwarfed by most expensive movie. The returns are also really good.

The only companies that need to invest billions are hardware developers, but that's a whole different thing.

Reminder that being a star is about being a friend

youtube.com/watch?v=KSEpTdvY6aA

>Actually, it's normal, well adjusted people who seek entertainment

Fun fact, blacks spend more on movies now than whites. I am the only non-autist on Sup Forums for example.

It's at least partially because of the whole Scientology thing. Hating Tom Cruise became the popular thing to do because of his religion. Even though pretty much everyone stopped giving a shit about Scientology, they hung onto the notion that they didn't like Cruise.

>there will never be anyone as big as Elvis or even Michael Jackson ever again

any news on the riots in milwaukee? anyone got the numbers on mike's confirmed kills?

I've talked to normies about Cruise and they are usually like "Oh you LIKE Tom Cruise? He's NUTS, TOTALLY INSANE right?" and that kinda shit. The guy did one couch jumping thing when these people were like 11 and they still judge him for it

Cruise has been carrying Hollywood on his back for a decade now

Oblivion is the best blockbuster in the past decade. So yeah he's kind of a big deal.

i literally cant think of a good movie tom cruise was in

magnolia i guess?

None, he let those guys into his house to fuck Jesse like the two-face beta cuck he is

Well, scientology IS a pretty nutty cult, there is no arguing about that. I know we are contrarians here and also want to distance ourselves as far as we can from Sup Forums's cringy project chanology past, but that doesn't mean scientology suddenly became a less retarded cult over the years. You can't spend the better part of your life in such an environment without losing some of your sanity.

According to reports, Jay Bauman (42) is in the hospital after being attacked by a gang of angry protesters. Bauman was exiting a nightclub when a group of rioters ambushed him and started beating him.

Mike is camping out on the roof of the RLM warehouse with a rifle.

"i hope i'm not being too CAAAAMPY"

>42
No fucking way, he looks, sounds and acts like he's 20 something

I have yet to see a bad movie with cruise in it

CANT BRUISE THE CRUISE

>top gun
>rain man
>a few good men
>mission impossible
>eyes wide shut
>magnolia
>collateral
>edge of tomorrow

>not all great films

Can someone explain Magnolia?

I thought it was really reliant on all the stories working but only a few did.

Tom Cruise was great, Hoffman was damn good, the kid game show was very good, the officer was meh to boring, the hasbeen was cringy, and Jullian Moore was hit and mostly miss.

I've heard its supposed to be a subtle biblical allegory.

Cruise has made dozens of great movies and is recognized anywhere in the world. He has to have security with him to protect him from fans even when he's in third world countries that barely have functioning electricity. Same with others like Tom Hanks. None of the new actors have this kind of star power.

Chris Pratt can walk around alone in NYC and no one gives a shit.

Out of these only Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut are good and neither is great, pleb.

DiCaprio is carried entirely by the script. He's often the worst and shittiest actor in the movies he's in. Cruise can be given a shitty script and still make it work.

Cruise *is* a movie star. He wakes up and is Tom Cruise, the movie star. He picks his movies like a movie star. He expects the best and settles for nothing less. He will produce great work until he dies.

When I was maybe 10 years old, I had a VHS with Top Gun, and The Color of Money on it. I must have watched Top Gun a thousand times, but never once gave color of money a chance. I was a kid, and I just wanted to see jets.

Anyway, is The Color of Money any good/worth checking out?

Leo, Cruise, Pitt and Hanks? Is that fair to say?

*tips fedora*

The only thing i dont think Tom has ever done is a heist film, yes i know Missions Impossible 1 has those elements but it is an aciton film

I'd love to see him in something like Oceans 11

>MI1
>action film

>zero guns
>zero fighting
>3 explosions (two being small)
>only one real action sequence

It's a espionage film, not an action film.