Math rock

What are some essential albums? I've only listened to Tricot and Hella.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1S6E7XeZqaE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

well the Sup Forums core album is Spiderland.

If you've only listened to those two bands you most likely will not be that down with spiderland. good album but it's very sleepy in comparison. here are some recommendations that are more up your alley

Algernon Cadwallader
Giraffes? Giraffes!
Snowing
This Town Needs Guns
Piglet

the only important math rock band is don caballero

you slut

Tera melos untitled and drugs/complex

These

Indeedy

This was my fav math rock album back when I was in high school. I don't see them discussed very often here

sixgallery.bandcamp.com/album/breakthroughs-in-modern-art

oh thanks for reminding me they're coming to town in 9 days

this user is not important

basically i realized i actually hate math rock and i wish it wasn't a thing

Here's some good stuff, also have a flowchart I'll post

TTNG - Animals is basically required listening on Sup Forums in general, especially if you have interesting math rock

Here's that flowchart

That's a very math rock thing to say.

i can't believe my paragraph edit about steve albini is still in there, i thought this would've been updated by now

Wonderful Rainbow is GOAT.
Also OP try out the Dillinger Escape Plan for something that blends math rock with metal and hardcore.

>13.0.0.0 having a better singer than Animals

Troll Chart.

>no june of 44
>don cab's first album leads onto adebishit shant
no

Tricot's newest album is a little weird and veering somewhat out of the realm of math rock in my opinion, but if you like it then you probably like the more melodic, upbeat side of math rock. In that direction, check out some other Japanese math rock such as
>Toe
>LITE
>Jizue
As well as other similar non-Japanese bands:
>Tera Melos
>You Slut!
>This Town Needs Guns
>Invalids
>Foals
>Colour
>Look Mexico

On the other hand, if you like Hella you probably also like the more post-hardcore influenced side of math rock, so you should check out other Zach Hill stuff as well as
>Shellac
>Polvo
>Drive Like Jehu
>Don Cab

In terms of the most well-known (on Sup Forums) math rock, Spiderland is genuinely a great album, but it really isn't such a great ambassador for the genre, since it sound so subdued and subtle compared to most math rock. Most people don't care for it the first time, but many find that it grows on them with subsequent listens.
American Football is also worth a listen and is certainly one of the most beloved albums on Sup Forums related to this genre, but it's more emo than what you may be looking for. You're going to have to dive into the Kinsella rabbit hole eventually if you want to listen to this kind of music, anyway.

Yeah, I had fantasized about making a new math rock flowchart a few months ago, but I really wouldn't know where to begin.

Calm down, it's not a "troll chart" just for containing a few opinions that not everyone agrees with. I used this chart when I was getting into the genre, and found it really helpful. I do prefer the old This Town Needs Guns singer, but one throwaway comment on the flowchart isn't going to ruin my experience of listening to them.

It would still be cool to make a more organized, more data-rich chart, but you are never going to get every single listener to agree on every single detail.

Thats because its bad lmao

I think I have that album on some of my math rock playlists. Not really a standout to me, but definitely not "bad" for fuck's sake.

Saw em on their first night in la, they blew everyone out of the water. We left midway through chon cause they weren't shit.
Also hung out with nick reinhart, he's the coolest dude, told me that tera melos is dying to tour with primus

The best math rock album also has the best album cover.

youtu.be/1S6E7XeZqaE

Happy June, OP.

Let's make a playlist with one song from every album.

Nice b8. Reinhart is a little cunt IRL.

haven't updated this chart in a while, but it's still better than the old Sup Forums ones

also early Tricot is math rock, their later albums are only a few songs at best.

is math rock still gay ass major scales played on clean amps that would make Tiny Tim blush with their wimpy and twinkle-tee limp-wristed sound or did math rock bands finally find out what made Don Caballero 2 so good?????

I've met Nick in SoCal twice, once at a Tera Melos show and once at a Melt-Banana show, he took the time to shoot the shit with me and was super nice in spite of my mexican accent and mexican moustache.

>early Tricot is math rock, their later albums are only a few songs at best.
Yeah, especially the most recent one, which sounds like it's trying to be like some kind of "loli" music for most of the second half of the album.

Nice chart by the way, but I'm surprised you were comfortable posting "reddit, the album" to Sup Forums.

>tricot
>"loli music"
Wtf. The second half of 3 is poppier for sure, but loli music?

Well I don't know what the correct term for it would be, but what would you call that one song that just sounds like nyan cat?

Keeps showing up in my >Spotify recommended so I guess I should check it out

I heard it through spotify as well. I wonder why their algorithm seems to spit out certain things over and over again for everybody like that.

I think it just likes associating them with toe/similar bands and we get lumped together for similar taste

But there is a lot of other obscure math rock out there that spotify doesn't push in the same way.

I guess maybe a couple people listened to six gallery along with more conventional math rock and Spotify decided that they must be connected. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy, if a few people listen to 2 specific albums the algorithm catches it and decides everyone wants to listen to them.

I've heard that neural networks have a tendency to fixate overly on some connections because of slightly improper tuning of the model, or something like that. I wonder if this is a case of that, or even if the "self-fulfilling prophecy" you describe could be an example of the cause of it in general.

Spotify probably uses factorization machines or other recommender systems over neural nets. They tend to perform better at recommending things than neural networks. Regardless, it can kind of snowball like was saying.