/prod/ Music Production General

Clean up that mud edition
------ NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED ------
>LEARNING RESOURCES
>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/psplpl4z
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UV1Yk4_WdiU
clyp.it/id1h0xxx?token=190977cf7660757b9a6af66500b4a47d
clyp.it/g14esxzq
clyp.it/lwtjeml5
stereophile.com/content/usher-audio-technology-s-520-loudspeaker-measurements
youtube.com/watch?v=C9ajWsxNJfA
clyp.it/xyua0an5
clyp.it/blcq34ym
clyp.it/tnhjogaz
clyp.it/lxjxddgj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who is this yogurt ogre

who else is stuck playing two chord progressions?

>chord
if i wanted to play chords i'd buy a fucking guitar

this was me for a while
listen to more music and study their chord progressions it will help

How do you find "your" sound?

I like a lot of different music, and my recordings reflect that, but in a very scattered way.

How can I hone a sound that I can call my own, or at least consistent?

What kind of DAW is best for making music with real instruments?

They're all the same.
Pick one and get good at it.

Time.

clyp.it/psplpl4z

How is this sounding?
I sampled some Tom Waits drums

I'm pretty familiar with fl studio and garageband, think i'm gonna switch to logic pro x since its similar to garageband and running fl studio on mac is a pain

Idk if im retarted but in fl, you have to record into edison, then drag the wav so its kinda slow, so logic would be better in that regard id assume

>be me
>open up daw after drinking
>try to make idm
>end up making something that sounds like linkin park demos
>tfw im a failure

>drinking
Theres your problem

Stop producing and post your oneitis's Instagram

I don't disagree user.

You can record directly on to the playlist

So i just got my keyboard(Novation MK2) and i can't decide how to set up my knobs, pads, and wheels. I would set up the wheels for pitch and modulation but i feel like there could be better uses since i don't mind setting those things by hand. Any idea how i should set this up?

I really want to hit Kevin Owens with a rick right now, I had to restart reaper 32123123lkglkndfs3421knl times and unplug my ux2 a few times because reaper host 32 kept crashing because the only brass section vsts I can get are 86x. I thought I finally had it, go to render song, notice the beginning was kinda straight. "Huh, well it was the midi intro that just had two vsts, it's probably just really quiet" Open song and I'm missing like 2 minutes of the song because shit kept crashing. why da bits gotta do this to me, I'm just tryin'a make more black metal?

How would i do that?

FeelsBadMan ive been recording through edison for the better part of a year

is it worth spending shekels on a midi keyboard with aftertouch

How to create the type of rumbling heard in this track? And the atmosphere.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UV1Yk4_WdiU

Surgeon uses that kinda thing a lot too - I'll describe how I'd do it and it might be close to the actual technique and it might not be.

I'd take a short loop of random noise - white or pink etc would be too "smooth" for this so you'd need something with a bit of grit/granularity to it - like a snippet of an explosion or something, stretched a little perhaps so you get a longer sample that loops clean.

Low-pass filter it so all you've got is the rumble, and then maybe low-cut some of the sub content out, then use a compressor with the kick drum as its sidechain input to make the rumble decrease in level when the kick drum hits.

>betraying lunga and trying to bait the rest of /moo/ in with roasty pic

u a shit op, op

it is if you want aftertouch???? if you're choosing to play on a keyboard idg why you would forfeit half the benefits unless you just don't give a shit

just set them for whatever you'd normally spend the most time doing.... even if it only takes a few minutes to automate your normal mods it's still a disruption in flow. when I stop being a useless neet i'm gettin freaky with ableton macros

that's a distorted kick
low pass all your percussion
keep things minimal and leave a lot of space open

Thanks man, as someone that was forthetimebeing, this is just a period of time drinking. Idk if I will ever finish anything, worth a try though.

Speaking of which, have any personal idm tunes I can listen to?

When this window shows up, choose record directly into the playlist as an audio clip

forgot pic

sure man, i'm trying to finish up a mixtape of some stuff from the past few months- if you've got any critique on this mix i'd be glad to hear it

clyp.it/id1h0xxx?token=190977cf7660757b9a6af66500b4a47d

What do you mean by "weird as it is"? Does the lead sound bad?

Oh shiiiiz thanks so much!
I was thinking about switching to albeton cause recording shit into edison was beginning to fuck my workflow up and get on my nerves

I didn't mean that in bad way at all, just that the lead and the rest of the song contrast a lot. Everything but the lead is pretty dark sounding, combined it gives me an odd feeling, but others might feel differently of course.

No prob, I hate edison too

checking that don't ask in the future box helps too

>no sadowick

Ok thanks for the clarification, i might have to make the lead more dark then, cause thats the vibe im goin for

or just distort the kick, high pass filter modulation, then low pass and compress
preserve the low end by doing the distortion and high pass in parallel with the dry signal.

example I threw together: clyp.it/g14esxzq

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

I am a classically trained pianist, but still make songs that only use 2 chords. There is literally nothing wrong with that if it sounds good.

I will NEVER, never make a song better than this. There's almost comfort in knowing I have to quit music forever now because nothing will compare.

clyp.it/lwtjeml5

It's not even ironically good

My monitors seem to be showing a lot less bass than headphones and certain car systems. I test a lot of my mixes in my friend's car and there's a huge difference between his system and my monitors. He is turning up the bass on his car's EQ, but everything he plays on it sounds normal. So even if I make the bass in a track completely dead on my monitors, it still sounds boomy and unbalanced in his car.
How do I mix a song to work on completely different systems? Add a subwoofer to my setup?
Supposedly my monitors have a pretty flat response.
stereophile.com/content/usher-audio-technology-s-520-loudspeaker-measurements

they're called reference tracks m8

>you solved a captcha to post this

>tfw just got a mic

it's starting boys

Ahh yeh I remember that feel. What kind and what's the intended purpose?

my man.

it's just an audio technica, i'm gonna plug it into my practice amp and just jam with my boys. but it's for sure gonna help me write shit

before this i would just play guitar and my boys would play drums and bass but i'd have to try to yell over shit and it just was stupid playing songs you know? and now i can sing and i'm excited as fuck, i love vocals

i have a shitty voice but who cares

sounds awesome wish I had a crew like that. I just mix samples together on my offtime

got an electronic drumset to make recording easier. just gotta figure out how to record it and edit it in protools. shouldnt be too hard

iktf

Reposting from the last thread, but is there a point to buying dotcom format over eurorack in the current year? The only modules eurorack seems to be missing are some clones of early moog designs.

you guys gotta try to get a crew. i played guitar for 12 years before this but i hadn't really played until i played with other people it's great

but i wouldn't know how to meet them. i met these guys in HS

although if you stop by college bands i think you could meet people

you can make a drum machine with that setup
if you interested i can post explanation

unless it has a different audio exit for each pad it will be a pain in the ass to produce, you are better off getting some good drum vst and using it as midi controller

u need to know other musicians, if you are good they'll call you for a hand on their projects, even if its not your kind of music you should help them in what they need and they will ultimately connect you with more musicians (some of which will possibly like what you like) and help you in your projects when you need sth you don't know how to do

Who is this cum meteorite?

ok going to sleep soon so ill explain it anyways, what you need is at least 16 light-feedbacked buttons, if you have 24 light feedbacked buttons better

first you do this:
youtube.com/watch?v=C9ajWsxNJfA

then you send the midi to a drumrack and, if needed, use the pitch midi fx to up or down your notes till you allign with the ones that trigger the drum hits

then you get sixteen macros 2.0 max midi fx, this has 64*16 knobs separated in groups of 16
and you map the sixteen different knobs of say the kick to the knobs that control step on /step off

you then go to preset n°2 and do the same for the hh, then n°3 and the same for the hh-o, etc, etc

your limit is 8 bodies

after you do this, you map your white buttons to the 16 knobs, this mapping will be consistent on all the presets

then you make the 1-8 black buttons to send note on/note off messages(midi notes instead of cc) of 8 consecutives notes(important) , and map them all as a bunch to the preset changer, on the midi mapping view you restrict the upper range to 8

(now, if you got 24 light feedbacked buttons what you will want to do is to make a new midi channel, put 8 clips in it, set the quantization mode to none, and map each one to each one of your 1-8 black buttons, this will give you light feedback for what drum body pattern you are seeing in the white buttons)

So, what you are left with now is, each time you press a black button you are switching the mapper preset to a 16 step pattern for each drum body, you can switch through them and change pattern on the fly

If you have some extra buttons, you can duplicate your initial midi clip, the one that handles the stepsequencer, and give each one of them a different groove setting, so you can switch through them according to what you are going for.

Now 4 faders/knobs you could do several things, but given you don't have light feedback on them, i would be careful with using the max preset mapper to map everything, since you will easily get lost if you aren't looking at the screen and can fuck up what would otherwise be a perfect performance.

Things ive tried with faders/knobs => volumes, decay/release, pitches, sends, fx for the whole drum bus (reverb/delay/compressor/saturators, whatever you can think of), and, another neat trick:

You can set up a chain of "logic gates" with audio racks with two channels, one dry and one with a looper, this allows you to record your patterns part by part, and to mix several fxs into one big audio ball, but i wont go into it in here cause i lost the explanation and i cant find it anymore, doe if you mess around with what i just said you will be able to find how its done

>the sixteen different knobs
of the midi racks controlling the hits, that you created on the first video

>to the knobs that control step on /step off
meaning the sixteen macros 2.0 knobs

>your limit is 8 bodies
cause you have the 8 black buttons (the ones beneath the faders)

forgot to say, if you use less, say you just want 4 bodies, you can use the extra 4 to controll stuff like body mutes or whatever else you can think off that just needs a simple on/off dynamic

if you are deeply autistic, you can also get your drumrack, and on each body you place a midi random fx, a midi scale fx on C, an replace the simplers for impulses, on the impulses you copy paste either round-robbin samples or the same sample and (very) slightly edit the parameters of each one, filters, attack/decays, maybe transposition too

So then what you get is everytime the body is hit, it randoms between each of the 8 possible sounds giving your drumrack a bit more life

Ffs do you think he cares enough to do all that loool

Can I get some feedback on this master,

clyp.it/xyua0an5

>ableton stock fx sound worse than a 90s multi fx unit
how is this possible?

I want to cum on her tits if you know what I mean ;)

Ive never made music before besides playing piano, guitar and sax as a child/teenage and I'd like to start making music as creative expression.

Do I need anything besides a midi controller, audio interface and studio headphones? Will be getting a mic later and am learning guitar once I have the money.

A good grasp on music theory helps

Besides the courses mentioned in OP's post, can you recommend any learning system or is it the more you do it the better you get?

clyp.it/blcq34ym

HOWS MY Mastering lads? I can't get it to the maximum it seems!!

>hate edison
??
why??

are they not enough?
how do you even express yourself and your emotions? in any art, i have no idea..

well I also draw so in in real life it's like I'm constantly underwater holding my breath but as soon as I put pen to paper I splash up out of the water and can breathe again

ur weird bro

is it a bad idea to just pirate a DAW and start dicking around with music until i've made a collection of noise that i like?
at some point i do sort of intend to read and try to learn things properly, but i'm interested if that can yield anything remotely serviceable. (in the same way as sort of childish doodling does for visual art, or something.)

>is it a bad idea to just pirate a DAW and start dicking around with music until i've made a collection of noise that i like?
Nah, I wish I did that actually. Been writing music for a while but only recently started using a DAW so progress is much slower than it'd be if I was already familiar with the software. It's like learning an instrument.

If you do it too long, later you'd think you lost your time. Fiddle to figure out the daw

Writing and recording are two separate process. Do not confuse them, your craft will only suffer in the long run.

don't hit on me faggot

>how to tell someone is new

my drumset is technically a midi controller

but dont the pads on that midi controller actually just represent notes on the same midi channel?

literally why even have keys.

is your room treated? if not, that's the reason.
You've probably got standing waves killing the bass frequencies where you are sitting.

If you want to learn music theory, the best place is university / college.

well then he is a faggot

what?

yeah, but you talked about recording

clyp.it/tnhjogaz
first 2 mins of my WIP. I actually have the whole track laid out, just needs some fine tuning and mixing. comments, thoughts, recommendations?

I appreciate you doing all of that for me. Thank you!

clyp.it/lxjxddgj

Finally finished with this, probably the best "EDM" track I've made so far.
What's your opinion guys.

>Into 80s music
>Realize all the 80s quality synths and samples are just a crutch for a lack of composition and performance skill
God I'm so fucking stupid. Like I could go back in time and give Peter Gabriel and Corey Hart and Ultravox a laptop with a cracked FL Studio and VST of the Week and they'd still have that 80s sound because their performances and compositions are the REAL sound, not the surface level 12-bit drum machines and dull tapes and simple pulse / saw synths. Fuck me, put that in my obituary.

ur halfway there now

It sounds polished and professional but it is lacking in any originality imo. Just sounds like another generic edm song.

This sounds very melodramatic

Alright I'm carrying my collection of basic 80s synth programming into Sytrus so I can ditch the stupid dull aesthetic and I ran into an issue, which I solved and will get into later, and that is that Sytrus doesn't have Pulse Width Modulation. You can adjust the waveform to get thinner or wider pulses but that's it. However. If you have two squares, invert one, and modulate the phase of the second then they'll essentially add up to different pulse widths. Now I can get my classic PWM strings.

How to mix and master a hip hop beat on Ableton?

probably gonna look into buying a synth or digital piano/midi controller, any recs? got about 400 to spend.
trying to find something with a decent range of keys
side note, anybody else getting attacked by serum ads on facebook

kek

doesnt even rhyme

who is this ejaculate graduate?

I find it pointless, I can just record to the playlist and do whatever I want from there

Aw man, first of all I'm happy it sounds professional and polished but I thought that at least at parts it was lil bit original. Oh well, gonna have to try harder for my album.