Never listened to a Black Sabbath album. Where should I start?

Never listened to a Black Sabbath album. Where should I start?

Forbidden

Paranoid.

Chronological order. Skip Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die, and everything after Mob Rules.

Any of the first 6, then the 2 original Dio-fronted albums, then the other Ozzy and Dio-fronted stuff (including Heaven and Hell), then the one with the guy from Deep Purple, then the rest if you're still interested after that point

Ehhh, I can understand and respect that their albums were pretty groundbreaking and influential at the time, but I was listening to Paranoid just this morning, and although it has it's songs and moments, it can be pretty awful at points.

>Never listened to a Black Sabbath album
how old are you may i ask?

and to answer your question
paranoid or master of reality

As always, start with the Greeks.

t. nu-male

I am turning 27 and am ashamed of myself for never listening to a full Black Sabbath album. I know their "big" songs though

>skip Never Say Die

Self titled

Which particular points in the album are awful?

Paranoid doesn't have a single wrong note - its great start to finish

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is their best one. If you listen to any of Technical Ecstacy, listen to Gypsy. Never Say Die has the title track and that's it. The Dio albums are great, get all of them, not just the first 2.

paranoid is a perfect album, start with it

The first three albums have better songs, starting with BSv4 they go more into sounds/textures. Sabotage is kind of an early experiment in extreme metal.

Start with Paranoid and go from there. Paranoid is a great entry-level Sabbath album, so is MoR. Skip everything between Sabotage and Heaven and Hell. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules have Dio on vocals and it's pretty fantastic. Also Ozzy's and Tony's solo stuff is pretty good.

from the start, you can't go wrong with Black Sabbath.
mid to late 80's sabbath sucks tho, only Tony stayed from the original line up and it just wasn't the same.
Then listen to all Dio albums + Heaven and Hell, pretty much all there is to it

Black Sabbath [Warner Bros., 1970]

The worst of the counterculture on a plastic platter--bullshit necromancy, drug-impaired reaction times, lengthy solos. They claim to oppose war, but if I don't believe in loving my enemies, then I don't believe in loving my allies and I've been worried that something like this was going to happen ever since I first saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper. C-

Paranoid [Warner Bros., 1970]

I suppose I could learn to enjoy them as camp--the title cut is certainly screamworthy. After all, their audience can't possibly take that whole Lucifer bit seriously, can they? Anyway, I've always suspected that horror movies catharsized things I was too rational to care about in the first place. C-

Master of Reality [Warner Bros., 1971]

As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk Railroad switch three years ago, in which the critics defined Grand Funk as a good old white boy blues band, although I knew of no critics, myself included, who actually played the records. Grand Funk are American--dull. Black Sabbath are English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovers are buying, I don't even care if the band actually believes their own Christian/liberal/satanist muck. This is a dimwitted, amoral exploitation. D+

We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll [Warner Bros., 1976]

By concentrating on songs (of the 18 cuts here, 13 are from the first three albums) and omitting such pro-tempo-formula-virtuoso moves like "Rat Salad", this makes for a fitting mock nostalgia document. Three cuts hail from the band's fourth LP, cleverly titled Black Sabbath Vol 4, which I never got around to putting on back in 1972. And you know what? I'm still not sure I've heard anything on it. C+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

Nice one /lit/.

I was wondering when someone would post this.

>poptimist cucks

The critics all hated Sabbath back then.

Christgau only likes greasy back-to-basics punk rock from the streets of New York or something.

Interesting how he hasn't responded to anyone in 2 hours.