>2006
>Ashley Cole complains that £55,000 a week is not enough and leaves Arsenal

>2016
>Sanchez and Ozil complain that £150,000 a week is not enough and threaten to leave Arsenal

Why have the wages of footballers risen so dramatically within the last 10 years? What/Who was the catalyst?

Their percentage of the revenue generated is probably the same

tv rights, clubs raking it in

I remember when 100K a week was seen as crazy money.

Now players like Walnut are on 120K

Because footballers have got
>A: Even less employable after they retire
Can you imagine Sanchez/Ozil contributing to any major European punditry/management
Can you imagine them actually being gainfully employed in any way after they retire
>B: Dumber with money
You can't really argue that even though in 2006 players were driving lambos they're leading increasingly more lavish lifestyles and it will be a shock when they finally figure out that they won't be earning that type of dosh forever

Also in 2016 Kroenke is building another stadium

Blame Chelsea and the russian oil money. Also, ManU and the chink money

Chelsea and City irreparabley damaged world football and now all that's left is the question who is a bigger mercenary.

Inflation and the rise in global revenue.

wouldn't it begin with Chelsea and now end with Chinese teams?

if you correlate these salaries to global debt levels I bet they would be somewhat correlated
there is not inflation, the purpose of central bank quantitative easing programs is to try and generate sustained 2% inflation, which it really hasn't done

Gee I wonder who could be behind this

>tf
>tt

Surprisingly relevant

Athletes are retards Hollywood actors have coped with the lower pay so why can't they

To be fair:
>Athletes' peak is only up to 33 years old
>Not fair to them if clubs take all the money from sponsors and name/shirt selling.
>l have seen worse in finance/banking sector where people keep jumping from one company to others
>Will you pass an opportunity to double your salary if you are performing well in your company?

Yes, the US economy is literally equivalent to the world economy
kys

Cole was just a fullback though

Because a shitter like Panny Panbeck earns 100k each week

I would imagine the stupid amount of taxes in England has something to do with it. They are probably only taking home 60k of that 150k.

The US economy is the world economy.

Tax on footballer's pay got upped to 50% after that

Plus tv deals significantly increased
Plus China and more rich clubs means that there's more people out there who will willingly play to get these players.

It's not as crazy as it seems though, look at some of the weaker Man City players, they struggled to give them away because of the high wages

>What/Who was the catalyst?
Globalism, new markets, chinese and sandnig monney

>burgerdumbs
>this topic
>trump

They'd be taking more than 60k, and there are rumours of tax loopholes so I would assume they're taking more than that.

>When I heard my agent repeat the figure of £180,000 [per week], I nearly tripped over my dog. "He's taking the piss, Fernando!" I yelled down the phone. I was trembling with anger

ozil has no reason to complain,that motherfucker has a no balls in the field

all ends up with the consumers whose wages don't change that much

higher tv prices and tickets

>alexis
>taxes

At 150k, they make in one week what takes me 3 years. Takes me ~150 years to make what they pull in one year.

It's a global thing though. In the modern NFL literal dogshit QBs sign 80 million contracts which would be seen as an absurd amount of money 10 years ago.

I never said anything about US economy=world economy. Global debt levels have risen dramatically in the last 10 years and european, japanese, and us central banks have engaged in monetary easing programs

tl;dr you don't read that well

He ended but getting 60k in his first contract at Chelsea. 5k difference
I would imagine a lot of players use loopholes and the such. With the situation with players in Spain and the Panama Papers I wouldn't be surprised if a Consumption tax to replace income tax becomes more popular.

How many weeks in a year? Is that the season length or how it averages out over a 52 week year?

because arselel were offering a 10% wage increase to the best leftback in the world

its over the course of a 38 week season

>there is not inflation

what the fuck are you on about

Cole was denied because at that point Arsenal had the biggest wage bill in the league. It was still retarded, they should've just cut some random shitters from the academy to give Cole that extra 500k a year and they would've kept one of the best LBs in the world. What makes it even worse is that a few months later they gave a 500k raise to one of their suits.

Yeah, this. There is really no excuse for them to be asking for more money, the amounts they are getting paid are ludicrous enough.

Hell, what percentage of the population makes that amount of money even in one year? Not even the middle class in the richest countries gets paid that much.

And there are less top players now

so? thats what happens when you're not particularly talented at anything. football players get paid based on how much money there is in their business. it could be a lot worse, like the ufc where the "players" get peanuts.

lel

Ironically the guy on that banknote was later discovered to be no more wealthy than any officeworker in Manchester.

This
Obviously a talented CAM will make much more than a left back

Even if Cole was just a LB, the prices have still risen dramatically. In 2010, Fabregas (arguably the club's best player at the time) was getting paid £110k/week, and this was after his wages had been increased in an attempt to keep him from moving to Barca. Now shitters like Walcott and Welbeck are getting paid that much.

>What/Who was the catalyst?

Mostly Pay-TV
In Germany the sport has also become a public dick measuring contest for the numerous German corportation who sit on nearly all my country's cash.
It's sickening.