What's the biggest combat sport right now in the west ( europe and/or us, information for both would be appreciated )...

what's the biggest combat sport right now in the west ( europe and/or us, information for both would be appreciated ) ? mma seems to taking off with ufc reaching more people, now everyone has heard of memegregor and tries out meme bjjs moves, boxing is said to be dying but is still big, and k1 is again said to be dead, but here in romania it's alive and well, in fact it's the most popular form of combat sports we have, but then again mma seems to be taking off slowly as well here.

so which is it Sup Forums and which will still be relevant in the years to follow ?

Ufc is the most watched here. Boxing still attracts a lot of people when there's a big fight and more people sign up for boxing than mma

Boxing is the most popular combate sport by a long way. It's more popular now than it been for 30 years in UK, UFC is growing but is still tiny unfortunately and Kickboxing is non existent in UK as far as media.

Boxing is doing really well in the UK lately, lots of fans, lots of money and lots of good fighters

UFC is gaining traction slowly but surely

The audiences seem different though. Boxing fans are mostly working men and street youths while UFC seems popular amongst students

boxing is doing well in other places but america, hopefully it makes a comeback here my favorites sport

MMA is probably the biggest in NA

Eddie Hearns Can Crushing Squad has made boxing really popular in the UK though

Boxing is dead in america. We are living in the mcgregor era

Split down the middle but it won't be long till boxing takes back it's place as king just a slow time for the sport.

Not that I dislike MMA. Its just not the same.

Combat sports are toxic masculinity.
Here are some excellent arguments against it.
Sports or competition minus violence are the future, where gender doesn't play a role. Badminton, Ping Pong, mixed Volleyball, etc.

boxing is COMPLETELY dead in germany, all the kids are loving mma right now.

only guys people know here are wlad and vitali, that's it

These, UFC didn't get coverage in the UK until a few years ago
mostly because all the fights were between US&Mexico which nobody could support because they all think and act alike
Then we got into it with Conor MacGregor because he had some cheeky banter and was >our guy

Boxing is still the biggest here because we're still good at it and have been since the 90s

Depends on the culture
From what I know Kickboxing and Muay Thai is really big in Europe, which is why you have so many guys from Netherlands (Aerts, Schilt, Hoost, Reem, Verhoeven, Hari) with that background

maybe k-1 will be even bigger in romania now that ghita is coming back.

He's not your guy and they're not your six counties.

ireland is a city in west england

Karate. Almost all of my former classmates did karate at some point and the karate schools alone vastly outnumber the western combat sports gyms.

But if you are talking about the less meme-y martial arts then it's kickboxing with mma being second and possibly overtaking kickboxing in 3-4 years.
Boxing will always be the more "popular" sport, as in -the sport most people know exists- but there are many more people doing kickboxing than there are doing straight up boxing, and the kickboxing scene is much more developed. It also helps that our country's most famous combat sports athlete is Mike Zambidis, a kickboxer.
Generally though in Greece combat sports tournaments and organisations are a joke, even in the """developed""" kickboxing scene.

greece has a few good fighters like meletis kakoubavas and stavros nirvana but I don't think either of them will ever reach zambo tier

Kickboxing is by far the most popular combat sport in the Netherlands. The Glory event with Rico vs. Badr proved that. Everybody was talking about the fight here. Although most people mostly cared about the name value of the competitors than the sport itself. MMA is quickly making up ground though and increasing their fanbase here. People don't give a shit about boxing. They only know the Klitschko's.

Reminder to UK boxing fans that Ward schooled the fuck out of KnockedOutGeorgeGrovesinFrontOf80000inWembley

Groves is a joke over here

Reminder that AJ made an American cower with fright

Could this have anything to do with German boxing refs being as bent as fuck?

why take credit for the accomplishments of people who aren't even white?

Like you do you with rugby you mean?

I don't watch rugby.

OK mate

WWE by far

Our money funds their training, therefore they belong to us

Mad because Froch got BLACKED?

Which American? And is he considered elite like Froch was?

Didn't Ward's mother get BLEACHED though?

Nobody gives a fuck about boxing here and we are pretty fucking good at it. MMA is easily more popular. Maybe boxing has more diehard fans but MMA gets all the casuals.

>pretty fucking good at it
who have you got besides frampton? and don't say katie taylor.

Frampton, the Conlan brothers and Barnes are British. Their careers were only possible because of British money

Rep. of Ireland is shit at boxing

>Conlan brothers
never heard of them and that's probably because ones a domestic level fighter and the other hasn't had a pro fight.

They're pretty popular

Jamie is like a poor man's Gatti and Michael is probably a top five talent from the British Isles right now

Michael will make his pro debut in NYC on St Patrick's Day and Conor McGregor will walk him into the ring

>when that Duddy vs Lee superfight never happened

McGregor got sportsman of the year so he'll take most of the attention from boxing unless Taylor has a solid 2017.

I don't think so
german guys aren't as tough as brits. brits are fighters, that's why they love boxing

Meeting Virgil I'd the best thing that happened to Ward. He would have been a dopehead like his parents

>Nobody gives a fuck about boxing here

What...?

Pretty depressing considering what the Greeks have done for combat sports. I can never understand why combat sports were so revered in the ancient Olympics while in modern times they're essentially seen as "alternative" sports in relation to stick and ball sports.

are combat sports really "alternative"? some of the most noted people in history (tyson, ali et al) are boxers, not to mention mcgoober hype.

sadly, boxing is smalltime in the US. A pro boxer would destroy any other "fighter".