Anyone here actually mastered music theory?

anyone here actually mastered music theory?
and if so, do you always follow the rules when writing music?
do you recommend any player to learn music theory?
do you advocate learning how to read classic notes (do re mi fa sol) or western style notes (cmajor etc)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5zGqN1ZOEJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have. I am literally Bach. Breaking counterpoint rules is haram.

>the rules
OP clearly hasn't mastered it

i know keys,chords,steps,intervals and scales which is basic i guess.
but i don't memorize every single note, i have to check everytime

post pics timestamp your sheet music

>mastering theory
that doesn't really happen

>always follow the 'rules'
no

>rec it
sure there's plenty of good stuff about it in terms of the neural pathways it emphasizes

>anyone here actually mastered music theory?
I know a lot about music theory, but I don't hold a doctorate or anything

>and if so, do you always follow the rules when writing music?
what rules? Music theory does not place any rules on writing music, it merely makes observations

>do you recommend any player to learn music theory?
Yes. By understanding how the music they play works, they can become better players

>do you advocate learning how to read classic notes (do re mi fa sol) or western style notes (cmajor etc)
That's not how it works. "do re mi", in c major, is "c d e", no question about it. "do re mi" is simply used as a tool, to teach people about the notes and to assist vocalists

this. there are no "rules". music theory is just explaining why things sound a certain way

not even that, just an attempt at explaining why things sound a certain way. a lot of it falls apart when you look at folk/pop/non-western musics

its really useful as a starting point but most of the theory is outmoded by this point and has been for the last 100 years

>a lot of it falls apart when you look at folk/pop/non-western musics
a lot of stuff still works. you just have to expand it past the chromatic scale normally
>most of the theory is outmoded by this point and has been for the last 100 years
not in the least bit

you do have rules, but players often say they are not needed.
for example, if you want to play in Amajor your chords would have to be either of A B C# D E F# G#
if A is key and G# is the 7th chord you play in these progressions:
I - IV - V
I - vi - IV - V
ii - V - I
but then again, you don't have to play those progressions in particular. its just popular ones.

>do you advocate learning how to read classic notes (do re mi fa sol) or western style notes (cmajor etc)
what in the fuck

i think you're confusing music theory as a whole with whether something is diatonic or not. what you showed is a diatonic scale that doesn't encompass all of western music theory

so it means i cant work with it? what other things i have to learn

>So it means I can't work with it?
You can work with it as much as you like.
>What other things do I have to learn?
Probably a lot but considering your first post I'd recommend learning scale degrees, modes, harmonic minor scale, melodic minor scale, consonance and dissonance, relative key, parallel key, sub-dominant key, dominant key, and tonal centers and how to change them.
I put this in order of importance so don't start with changing tonal centers first.

i know some of this stuff you listed at the start then again i have to constantly look it up if i need it.
modes are not that important to me right now. i focus on time signature and basic chords

me
no
yes
western

if youve ever played chrono trigger, a lot of the music in that game doesn't follow the """""rules""""" of music theory and still sounds fantastic

the """""rules""""" are more of a guideline, don't think of them as concrete and be all end all. experiment

i saw that video too. see
nonfunctional harmony is still a part of music theory

anyone here actually masturbated to music theory?

I studied music theory as a large part of my undergrad.

There are no rules when writing music.
There are rules when writing music exercises.

I think everyone should learn a bit of theory. Enough to read a lead sheet at least, since that's a very practical application.

I'd heavily heavily recommend western style. C= Do is very limited and will contradict a ton of stuff you'll run into, especially if you're american.

chronotrigger music is beautiful. i wouldn't call it none functional because the melody work with the rhythm, somehow.

That's not how the phrase non functional is being used. Non functional harmony is a theoretical term that means that the chords don't have tonic, pre dominant or dominant function. The chords can't be meaningfully interpreted by using functional harmony anymore.

So you are right that those chords do work in the sense that they sound good, but functional harmony isn't happening there.

here watch this video where this nice nerdy man explains it pretty well youtube.com/watch?v=5zGqN1ZOEJQ

hmm thanks ill give it some thought
i did hear some musicians talk about suspense and resolution but then again it don't think it applies to every piece of music.
this mumbo jumbo actually sounds good which is weird
thanks, i watched it.