I need help Sup Forums. I've been into magic the gathering for like 2 years and I've never been good at deck building...

I need help Sup Forums. I've been into magic the gathering for like 2 years and I've never been good at deck building. I own a white eslpeth deck and a blue/black tezzaret deck. I want to learn how to build my own deck and I was thinking a green/black deck. Pls help me Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which format do you want to play?
If you want to build green/black, it's very simplistic and the best color combination in modern right now

Faggot

I would go for either standard or commander if thats what your asking. If youre asking playstyle id like something thats balanced between aggro and defensive

black and green is interesting, but way too advanced for someone of your EXP. I've played it on and off over 10 years and I've never netdecked, because imo it ruins the self expression you can do with the deck. Besides just saying black and green though, what is you deck actually trying to do?

Something to get a lot onto the field and do damage mid/late game. I know aggro is the meta right now but its just my preference

If you're just starting to build your own decks then I'd recommend building a Modern deck instead.

In commander, if you're open to using other colors with GB, Atraxa is pretty good. Pick any mechanic that uses counters, doesn't have to be just +1/+1.
In standard, don't play that format at all.

What do your friends play? Stick to that format.
Ideally, commander is good. Modern is okay too. By the time you're done building your standard deck, it will be out of date.

I have a black/green deck. The core of this deck consists of
- Zulaport Cutthroat
- Nantuko Husk
- Dictate of Erebos
- lots of cheap shit and stuff that makes tokens, like From Beyond

Then black will just hold you back, and be risky, you should stick with green and have white or red, as support. For example I have a green, white, and artifact deck that's similar to what you're wanting, the basic scheme is super cheap creatures (none cost more than 3 mana) with a balance of mana ramp, alot of 1+1+ tokens, and some healing based on token/creature amount, so I can have time to buff them all off. The biggest thing imo in making decks, is how complex the strategy is, how many there are are, and the synchronization between all cards and themes in your deck. The deck I keep referencing is 60 cards, but has around 6 main strategies and 2 or 3 sub ones, to balance off it's weaknesses, and as a defense... to most people, they'd assume it's a clusterfuck of cards, but it's because it's hard to see how they all interlock, at first. The more important thing is to have multiple fluid strats that all balance and come together, rather than just throwing a bunch of powerful cards all together.
I've won with crappier decks that worked perfectly together, over people that had decks full of nice cards that didn't blend together perfectly, and there in lies the better deck building. Most newer players think one solid/two solid plans in a single deck is enough, and imo it's really lacking in thought or expression. Do you have any other questions I could try to help?

i tried getting back into magic but every place i went to play was full of disgusting people, im not talking fat or ugly, 2 of the 4 people i had to play against in the aether revolt prerelease had dandruff flakes the size of almonds in their hair and didn't look like they showered in over a month

I'm sorry you had to have such an experience, I've had a few scummy people before. but it was more on them being scamming than having bad hygine. I'd suggest playing Shandalar, and that one free mtg game that's also multiplayer (not the official one, I forget the name) and hopefully you'll have a better exp.
Besides my post at
One thing I looked at was on ebay for cards I already have, and see what was also purchased, etc to get an idea of relevant cards or more effective ways I can do what I want, in the deck. You could also use recipes, but if you want to learn how to make your own decks instead, I'd suggest cheaply buying a bulk of rares, and uncommons for around 20 ish bucks, and throwing a few decks together, play them out, see what works and doesn't, experiment, etc. I remember when I was really serious about mtg, I would playtest my deck against ones I made purely to destroy it, or have strats my enemies would have, etc, to make the best deck possible.

Get that blue/black m'nigga

dragon/ artifact deck is good

that's really complex and risky, plus it's not Op's playstyle.
Sounds really interesting, what colors? also some mana ramp would make that even more fun.

If you know others that play or want to, EDH, drafting, and/or sealed work.

Sealed is the simplest as you just open up some packs, add some land, shuffle and play. Focus more on the rules and get into deckbuilding later. Mini masters can be played using any booster pack and some land.

Drafting gets you into deck building, but its a bit more time constrained and less freedom than kitchen table/casual/EDH.

EDH can be as simple as picking your favorite legendary creature and putting all your best cards of those colors together with some land and improving as you play/learn.

My problem is that i dont know what cards to use. There are cards that work when another card has the same name or something like vraska. I was thinking about getting the vraska/jace duel deck but learning how to build sounds helpful

Find bayou lightning.

Anything newer than onslaught or 7th edition is just bad.

Use the tip then I suggested, about looking cards up on ebay and seeing what else was bought. Just doing that for 15 mins gave me ideas for a more artifact and mana ramp based deck I wanted to make. Another tip is the best kind of cards are ones with multiple abilities that all tie into your strats, it's how I can have all those in just 60 cards and it work together, and not be a clusterfuck. Another great thing about ordering the cheap bulk of rares and uncommons and making decks with them, is it helps you think outside of the box, and sometimes you see things you'd like to work in, you would have never thought of.

Go on tapped out it's a deck building websight that's really good. You can look at other people's decks, create your own, and even play test. It has lots of anilitacle tools too, like showing mana curve And the distribution of colors. And once you are done there there is a button to add all the deck to a cart on tcg player.

tappedout.net

OP, you should expand your board horizons. There are currently six threads about MtG on /tg/.

The best thing to do is when you build a deck come up with a theme and look for cards that follow that theme. The best websites for card search are:

magiccards.info
And
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx

I was looking for another board that would have mtg but i didnt think it would be on tg

/tg/ is thataway ------->

Op I can build a deck for you if you want me too I just need a color and a theme

> traditional games

>Yeah, MtG isn't a traditional game....like, you know, card games are......

Maybe instead of playing with faggy cards, you go outside and do some work to build a god-tier deck

Looks like a comfy place to play MtG!

Na man to windy cards go everywhere

You wouldn't play Magic outside on a windy day though.
But tbqh I'm greedy for table space so it's bad anyway

Timestamp on that deck or you're a faggot who not only has no magic deck, but also doesn't have a magical deck.

Ya but not for me it's always windy where I live

i remember fucking the rules up so bad when first starting. Luckily my brothers and friends were new too so we all learned together.

Modern or commander green/red?

>Modern GR
Either splash white for Naya Burn or put in black for Death's Shadow Jund.
DSJ is the best deck in modern right now, and it looks like it's gonna stay that way for a while

When people on Sup Forums are way nicer than people on /tg/

Alright thanks man

All /tg/ does is ask for people to rate their shit decks and brag about fake cards.