ITT : Future Plans

So do any of you guys actually plan on being musicians, if so how do you want to be in a successful band or be a singer or whatever the fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/stan_hubbs/crystal/
snailpolish.bandcamp.com/releases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i want to be a groupie for pwr bttm

Gonna be in a really good band, I'm a guitarist and have some really good songs, have a pretty good knowledge of music programs and can sing a little bit, just need to find some musicians and then i'll be on the cover of Rolling Stone.
(pic unrelated)

I'm planning to make the music and upload it on youtube/soundcloud/spotify. Grow a big enough audience to perform in my city and build from there.

Yeah I dream of doing basically the same thing Kurt did except today.
Rock needs a revival and I plan on being the man to do it.

I'm pretty sure I suck though.

I wish i could sing

So did kurt

Well of course my goal is to be a musician. My current plan is to go to NYU and major in architecture with a minor in music so I can have something at least slightly viable to fall back on. I have the grades and everything, just waiting for SATs and ACTs now.

I've got a little band with some friends rn but it's not really going anywhere for the time being. I'm a solid guitarist at the moment, but I still have trouble with faster stuff and solo writing. I figure the best way to get started is just to record stuff and throw it on YouTube or Bandcamp to build a crowd.

(though secretly i've semi-accepted that my chances are near impossible and that i'll probably never live out my dream)

Organised a jam session the other day. I've been recording at home for a long time but decided to call up some folk and go for something more live with original + cover stuff 2bh.

not a bad plan desu

become immortal, create your magnus opus album and then die at 27 being remembered forever and worshipped by your peers.

All you really need is a clear vision for something unique. Kurt was a mediocre guitarist and singer, but just through unique songwriting and an aesthetic that fit the time he got really popular. It's rare that the most popular musicians (especially in rock) are the best; it's normally just the most unique. Angus Young doesn't hold a candle to the pure technical prowess of many less-popular rock and metal guitarists, but he made catchy songs. Skill is second to good sound.

I'd like to play prog rock. I play "classical" guitar but I like Yes and King Crimson a lot.
But I just don't have any musician friends who like it as much as I do. Most of them are into Ed Sheeran and that sorts of pop simple music.

Its a start

Yeah but he was the genuinely good but thinks he sucks kind, I'm really not.

I'm going to try since I really have nothing better to do and my ego won't allow me to fall by the wayside of humanity, but I wouldn't hold your breath for me. I'm shit at guitar and all my songs are derivative as hell.

My only clear vision is ripping off Kurt. I don't want to be a complete clone, of course I'm going to add my own personal spin on it, have stuff in my songwriting that's personal to me and a reflection of the times but other than that I'm Kurt clone #23349

That's the worst possible idea for success. Look at practically every ridiculously successful rock band ever. They were unique for the time. Early heavy metal got popular because it was different. Thrash got popular because it was different. Grunge got popular because it was different. Nu metal and metalcore, for as dull as they are, got popular because they were different. All of those bands trying to be a revival of psychedelic rock or shoegaze will fail because most people don't want to hear the same thing they heard 20 years ago. Rock is "dead" because no innovators are coming. The best thing you can do to get popular and revive rock is to sound new.

yeah same here desu honestly if my creative outlet doesn't become my job im just gonna blow my brains out, no lie. I wouldn't survive at fucking walmart. So for my parents sake im gonna make sure that my band is gonna be good.

You're right, and I'll try user. It's just hard finding that "new" thing.
I guess I'm just going to play whatever comes to mind without really trying to be anything and see what happens.

It's a blessing and a curse, we're usually the type who make it but also the ones who live in total misery when we don't.
Good luck user.

Just remember: those great and popular musicians were evolutions of already popular music. Look at your favorite music, take that as a base, and go from there.

I don't wanna be successful. I mean I'd love to but I doubt it.
Been thinking about making a soundtrack business. I'm majoring in business administration so I plan on creating a small firm and sell soundtracks to tv shows or ads or something.

I'm the same, I want to compose and play prog rock, I have the skills as guitarist and I already came up with some nice tunes. But not a single musician I've met is into that type of music. Either they want to play boring pop, or flashy metal covers, or are just dull blooz guitarists who think prog is snob music.

i have a bandcamp, i have a soundcloud and have performed live two (2) times. I am home recording my third album right now.

I will probably kill myself before I make any money off music though.

You too man stay strong.

Did a gig once where almost 2000 people turned up at a festival. Don't play in that band anymore. I have been playing the basic instruments for quite a while, but mostly focusing on drums and piano/keyboard. I have i the recent 3 years been learning electronic production. I know a couple of semi famous musicians and rappers around my country, and will be trying to use that "network" to grow some easy listening pop songs, Then get on the radio and ez gigs and ez money. I might just become a producer/songwriter, as I find it rather easy to write. I also rap and sing, but i'm pretty shit desu

For me, I plan to major in musical theater, with a minor in Biology. However, music has always been in the back of my head as a career choice. I got serious about music about 6 months ago, and I post music to soundcloud, which has led to a decent following in ym hometown. I hope that I can perform live soon, and I'm working on starting a band. I'm a keyboardist who also plays guitar and bass, and I think my skills could get me a few fans. I don't want to be super famous though. My dream is to have the level of fame similar to that of Mark Kozelek. Not too famous, but a decent following. I hope to one day make alternative, but not pop-alternative. I'm thinking stuff similar to The Microphones. but I won't brag. I'm not the best guitarist or bassist, and I'm a good keyboardist, but not a great one. I hope for the best, but it probably won't happen. Sorry for so many words. Just an user's thoughts.

I've always wanted to form a kind of psychedelic noisecore band, kinda like early butthole surfers meets something like today is the day with manic jams and psychedlic effects and such intertwining with noisy aggression, but idfk I'm already 24 and I don't play anything so I should probably give that idea less space in my mind. Maybe I'll release something in my 30's or 40's I don't really mind, I wouldn't expect to ever be successful and it would be as a hobby more than anything.

Stan Hubbs is a cool example of someone releasing a one off magnum opus late in life, he never gained a shred of recognition but his record is still unique to this day, and that lone accomplishment seems way cool to me.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/stan_hubbs/crystal/

I can play guitar and keyboard, and can sing, so I hope to be in a band someday.

i'm gonna start a project devoted to singing about ways to kill Trump so that the American government agencies will continuously buy my music while they monitor me

You've piqued my interest.

i like this thread, its nice to see like minded people, like another user here said, i too want to be an established band that is respected for being innovative and unique, my life has been soley based on music ever since i got into my 1st bands as a teen (radiohead and nirvana ex dee), writing and playing is my entire life and i really dont enjoy anything else

godspeed bois

>rock
>modern times

foh whitey, for dont you know?
HIP HOP THE NEW ROCK N ROLL!

but how do i make industrial trap hip hop grunge?!

just keep trying different styles
there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to singing

Syd was such a qt.

make a bandcamp for my project called "Killing Trump" and have tons of albums with dozens of songs. no previews, you can only hear the songs if you buy the albums for $100 each.
songs will have titles like
>How I'm Gonna Do It
>The Day It's Going Down
>Weapon of Choice
>The Escape Plan
>My Accomplices
little do they know that they're just paying hundreds for shitty 10 second instrumental vaporwave tracks

>be me
>the oldest of my siblings
>recently turned 19
>I just started learning how to write songs
>dad gets digagnosed with cancer
>doctor says it's not looking so good
>have to get a job and take care of my brothers and sisters
>have no time or privacy to practice and write.
>I wanna kill myself so bad, but I can't because my siblings and mother need my support.
>life fucking sucks.

Do you not see all of the rock and punk influence in hip hop today?
Just look at artists like lil Aaron or even how ppl like uzi dress

I can play my guitar and mumble my singing like Kurt so I just gotta learn to write songs like him and I'll be him

That doesn't matter. They don't wanna hear some faggot white kid screaming.
They wanna hear some real nigga shit.
Also trap beats > any faggot MUH instruments.

Kurt is just a great pop songwriter. He knew he'd be a complete and utter mythical rock figure if killed himself. It was pure vanity - but it worked. I'm a songwriter in a similar sense, but I like a lot more heavy metal and synth pop. I'm just trying to do something interesting with my time, and music is the most compelling at this time. Anything can happen if you write good music...

>your album

can we stop this "kurt killed himself for legend status and eternal fame meme". he was whacked out on drugs, his abusive wife was leaving him and probably taking his daughter with her and no matter what he tried, he just got more famous.

im trying this but its just turned into nothing. I teach lessons and upload nonsense into the void.

rise above

I already have half a concept album written and only get praise when I talk about it. I have some friends who are beginner at guitar but I'm a pretty good bass player. So if anything I'm just hoping my dudes get better.

Someone that has the drive to achieve as much as Kurt did is obsessed with legacy. He knew exactly what he was doing, just like Chris Cornell. They both knew their legacies and how their deaths would solidify them. Art 101 man

I'm planning to join the Gent School of Arts and study Pop there. Of course I'd probably sell my soul if it meant that I could totally live of the music is write myself but i'd still call my self one of the luckiest souls on the planet if I could live from being a session musician and just being hired to do gigs and studio stuff. Sound design and composing for stuff like movies would also be fucking great.

Not OP, but it still hits me hard. I have the same mentality where I think about reviving shoegaze, but what I do seems derivative and sub par and what everyone else does is 100% better.

I just want to play bass in a funk/soul/Motown band. There's lots of money to be made playing chunti music, too, so there's that.

I'd also like to just have a couple of people to jam with. Not just a couple of losers from a Guitar Center classified ad. Knowledgeable people who have a similar style, know how to improvise and interact with other band members, and are generally comfortable with their instrument(s). I'm always coming up with little riffs on different instruments. All they need is someone to jump in.

Had to sell my drumset a while ago and haven't obtained a good practice set up since, unfortunately life comes first. As soon as I get one I'll be right back to grinding the skill, and when my ability is up to my standard, and I have the time to create something... I'll start looking for music minded people at concerts. Though I'd like to make it my main focus right now, has to wait, passion projects need room to grow.

I've played in my bedroom most of the time. I jam with one of my friends from uni but all he likes to play is death metal and I like to play dad rock/blues/grunge/noise/ambient. For now, I just record my stuff that I'd like to remember and I record drums (by drums, i mean banging my two Vic Firth sticks on my bed.) for the songs. I've been thinking about picking up bass again. It's been 5 years since I played one and since I'll probably be a one man band, I figure why not.

This. He also apparently had a bit of an obsession with the 27 club.

Architecture grad here. You won't find time to do shit if you wanna major in it, I guarantee you. It'll just remain a hobby.

write an album about your current state, trust me it'll sound genuine and people react the things like that trust me man, just keep writing and stay strong.

Just played my first gig last weekend. It was the opening of an art house and there were maybe 30-40 people there at best. For reference, I have a one-man post-industrial project and the other acts were >snailpolish.bandcamp.com/releases
and some dude with an acoustic guitar.

Basically I was singing over a backing track in a room with terrible sound. It really shouldn't have worked, but I had lots of people come up to me afterwards saying how impressed they were. Once I got over the stage fright I felt the most alive I have in a while.

Once I'm done with finals this week I'll record the vocals and put it on bandcamp/soundcloud/etc. From there I guess I'll just write more songs, play more shows, and repeat until something happens.

just do punk rock
nobody's gonna give a shit if you can or can't sing
in fact people are usually gonna like it more if you can't
if they dont just do instrumental music or something