Is this actually good, or is it just edgy?

Is this actually good, or is it just edgy?

It's a bootleg, Listen to DMDS, Chimera or their Latest

Both.

OP here. I was actually wondering about this. I've read that its a "semi-official" release, and I know that the album cover was taken by one of the band members. What does "semi-official" mean? It was a bootleg that the band adopted and officially released?

The label that released it was an independent label owned by a pen pal friend of the band. He probably had permission, but it wasn't released on a major label and it received a limited run of 300 copies. The recording itself is a bootleg recording from one of their live shows.

It's alright. There's a lot of good noise-BM out there that isn't necessarily edgy

I wanted to buy this record, but the letter from Euronymous on the back of the LP jacket is just too fucking edgy. Its cringe worthy.

the cover is edgy, the music is good

This one?

Yeah, that sounds like something a 15 year old emo kid would have posted on MySpace back in the day.

what a giant fag, also maybe a sociopath. Glad Varg killed him and is now a giant meme

it's nothing special really
get live in leipzig instead

>wants to buy a black metal record like a nice little vinyl-collecting, culturally "hip" nu-male
>but gets turned off by edginess in fucking black metal

stick to Deafheaven lmao

No it was a live recording the band made.
Euroymous sent it to his pen-pal in South America with the photo that became the cover (and apparently some skull fragments)
The guy he sent it to released it himself after Euronymous was murdered.

I love me some old school black metal, and I don't mind edginess when done correctly, but come on mate. Euronymous was a fucking edgelord.
>dead killed himself because he lived for old true black metal
>aaaaargh!!!
>fucking posers leave
>reeeeee

Napalm Death is better than most BM bands lmao. Fuck this fag, glad he's dead.

He actually was a 15 years old emo kid

>dead died for true black metal
>now I have declared war!!!!
Euronymous was a fag. Its just music, dude.

who cares desu
considering how seminal Mayhem's early discography is and considering that Euronymous' edginess was a driving force behind much of that music i'd say that euronymous being an emotionally stunted sociopath did more good than harm desu

Why are Norwegians the kings of edge? This shit, Varg, Breivik mass murder all in a span of 20 years

This is embarrassing. I wonder if his parents have read this.

Dead actually died when he was a kid, i think that gave him brain damage and made him think reality was fake.

That whole black metal scene wasn't edgy, it was authentic, it was insane.
Edgy is some pop slut acting like a whore.

The original black metal scene was like a bunch of mentally ill convicts all somehow found each other and formed a satanic cult and made metal music

Dead used to go up on stage and stab himself while he sang.
eurnoymouse was some ego maniac narcissist who thought he was the king of the metal scene, and was an extremist even whiten communism.

And we all know the story of varg.

They burnt down churches, killed people, formed cults, practiced extreme religion and politics.

I dont think you could create something like that again even if you tried

>friend commits suicide
>take a pic of him first of all

If that isn't fucking edgy...

That was the funniest fucking this I've read all week.

So much misinformation. I don't even know where to begin. Black Metal wasn't anything like this, kid.

It's a bootleg of a shitty line-up so no. DMDS and Ordo Ad Chao are the only good albums they have.

I'm a long time black metal fan, and I honestly think DMDS fucking sucks. Its over produced, and it feels too rehearsed, lacking the raw energy of their early recordings, and Attila's vocals are trash. The best Mayhem lineup for me is:
>Dead
>Euronynous
>Hellhammer
>Necrobutcher

They didn't really kill people. I think there were a couple of cases of some people in the scene or fans beating the shit out of some minority elements but not much else unless you count lamping fuckers.

It's not just edgy. It's edgy as fuck. They crossed the line. Probably as edgy as it gets.

when dead killed himself eruonymouse didnt call the cops, he went to the store and bought a camera.
There were rumors that he took pieces of his skull and used them in a necklace

Ueronymous was a poser. The man was an atheist for christs sake.

They didn't really practice black magic or religion. The "cult" thing is bullshit that Euronymous spewed to make his band look evil. The Black Circle wasn't a cult. It was a bunch of kids hanging out in the basement of Euronymous' record store drinking beer and watching horror films.

he admitted it on the little letter inside the album

I respect that, I dont even actually generally like occult sounding vocals like on DMDS and ordo ad chao far preferring someone who sounds like Wrest, but he really gets into it and hams it up perfectly, plus freezing moon is just a great song.

>they
You mean Euronymous? The rest of the band wasn't okay with this. Necrobutcher was so disgusted that he left the band, and only rejoined after Euronymous died.

Dead too.

The necklace thing is 100% true. The thing about eating brains is fake as fuck.

Also, iirc, necklaces with the skull fragments have been found (Euronymous gave a few people them). The necklace part is pretty much confirmed.

It's also said that Euronymous took some of Dead's brain bits and made a stew out of them, but that bit's uncertain.

>Euronymous took some of Dead's brain bits and made a stew out of them
fake as fuck he'd get sick like that anyway

>Faust

The brains part is bullshit and I really, really wish people would stop spreading it. There's already so much misinformation about the Norwegian black metal scene because it was so poorly documented and a lot of the important people involved are dead now. Please don't add to that.

Euronymous really crossed the line with this shit. I don't care about any of the other edgy shit that he did. This was too much.

>I dont think you could create something like that again even if you tried

Challange accepted.

>Dead actually died when he was a kid, i think that gave him brain damage and made him think reality was fake.

It didn't give him brain damage, it just informed his way of thinking in a radical way.

In the end it's just a matter of perspective. If all experience is subjective, then how are dreams any less real than waking perception? Or vice versa; how is waking perception less fake than dreams?

Most people - even those who'd agree with this - don't really dwell on it, they might go "huh, interesting idea" and then move on with their life. He got caught up in it though, and then decided that he wanted out. He might have been wrong/stupid, but I don't think he was ill.

Eh, it's okay, recording is awful though, get Live in Leipzig instead, way better quality

to be honest i got Dawn of the Black Hearts on my iTunes library only for the edgy album cover

>maybe
he was pretty fucking insane, in an extremely edgy and cringy way, but still insane. Varg is really edgy too though

But he was also pretty fucking talented, honestly Euronymous + Dead was a pretty solid combo for a Black Metal band. I wish Dead sang on De Mysteriis instead of Attila, can't stand his vocals

dead would have loved that photo and certainly want his picture taken after death. it's morbid, but it's real.

Yeah, but at least Varg seems like he has a fucking head on his shoulders.

Got it. I wasn't sure, hence why I said the brain bit (although I did say that it hasn't been confirmed).

This album is over rated live in Leipzig is the best recording with dead and has a better solo for freezing moon as well as another track

Friendly reminder that

>Varg is a reasonable, sane individual
>All of Mayhem's best records (especially Grand Declaration of War) were released after Dead and Euronymous died

Eh... Varg isn't really rational, and his sanity is arguable.

Sup Forumstards are gonna disagree here, but the nazi/white power shit is pretty autistic of Varg and enough to make me not like him as a person, even if I like his music. As for the other shit he's notorious for, I'm honestly fine with him killing Euronymous and think that Euro deserved it, but I can't really get behind the church burnings.

I definitely agree that Mayhem got way better after Dead and Euro died, though.

only live in leipzig is good